Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,554
    deleted
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Yes more I think about it the more I imagine will just blow over.

We really won't probably know until the developement stages of B25 if Craig is indeed not returning.

Craig has not bashed the franchise per se ..in fact yes he has been supportive and appreciative overall.

The comments made though were not even though he tried to correct himself.

One bad comment or action or divorce can ruin a career. Just ask Mel Gibson as someone mentioned or Kevin Costner or even Harrison Ford who seemed to have lost his non-Indy audience when he left his wife.

Bond will survive after Craig ...but studios and financing are different now so curious how the impact of SP performing whether good or bad will have on Bond.

Craig's reckless comments may or may not impact the performance. Craig did introduce a lot of new fans to Bond I think ..so did Brosnan I'm sure.

I don't know ...we all have an opinion. I am very excited about the film ...not long now. We are all at each other's throats it seems.

Group hug lol

>:D<
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Actually, DC being blasé, bullish and profane about the whole thing to the press is GREAT promotion - it gets much more exposure and attention than if he were a nice boy about it all and smiled & said how wonderful the whole Bond shenanigan is...

Think about it. Bond is not meant to be 'nice'. If anything Dan is much better at promoting the franchise than any of his predecessors.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    As DC faces a "backlash" over what is considered "insensitive" remarks, my guess is that he will issue a statement within the next 48 hours, clarify his comments, and apologize. And all will be done.

And then: don't expect DC to ever do an interview with Time Out again! LOL
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Yes more I think about it the more I imagine will just blow over.

We really won't probably know until the developement stages of B25 if Craig is indeed not returning.

Craig has not bashed the franchise per se ..in fact yes he has been supportive and appreciative overall.

The comments made though were not even though he tried to correct himself.

One bad comment or action or divorce can ruin a career. Just ask Mel Gibson as someone mentioned or Kevin Costner or even Harrison Ford who seemed to have lost his non-Indy audience when he left his wife.

Bond will survive after Craig ...but studios and financing are different now so curious how the impact of SP performing whether good or bad will have on Bond.

Craig's reckless comments may or may not impact the performance. Craig did introduce a lot of new fans to Bond I think ..so did Brosnan I'm sure.

I don't know ...we all have an opinion. I am very excited about the film ...not long now. We are all at each other's throats it seems.

Group hug lol

>:D<

Sure, if the movie is good, probably none of this will matter anyway. I sure hope so!

This is a forum to share opinions, so thats what we do, no point in trying to convice others that your opinion is better than any other.

None of us has a magic crystal ball, we are all just speculating
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    AceHole wrote: »
    Actually, DC being blasé, bullish and profane about the whole thing to the press is GREAT promotion - it gets much more exposure and attention than if he were a nice boy about it all and smiled & said how wonderful the whole Bond shenanigan is...

Very true. However, there has been (from my perspective) an overall pattern here with SP marketing....starting with the Sony Leaks (outside their control) to the song (definitely controversial and if they couldn't see that coming they are idiots) to Elba to DC's comments. The overall 'noise' from a marketing standpoint for this film has been a controversial one. That's one way to get your product out there I suppose. I hope it works. They did not do this for SF, that's for sure. That one was definitely top of mind with a lot of people but wasn't controversial.
    00Agent wrote: »
    This is a forum to share opinions, so thats what we do, no point in trying to convice others that your opinion is better than any other.

None of us has a magic crystal ball, we are all just speculating

Very true as well. Also, it's interesting that some have been censored on this forum for swearing and yet our hero is being forgiven by others for doing the same thing out there in magazine interviews that he should know (unless he has been living under a rock) would be picked up on the net. It's the 'front page of yahoo' thing that caught my attention yesterday, and not in a good way.....and precisely because I'm such a proponent of this franchise and want it to expand its audience. Bond is an institution......a global institution more than a British one these days (most of its money is made outside the UK). So whether we like it or not, I think it's helpful not to potentially offend more conservative sensibilities. What we on a forum think is largely irrelevant.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Tuulia wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I think what grates some fans is the "bite the hand that feeds you" attitude.

As we all know, Daniel Craig was aware of what he was signing up for - not just the amazing wealth, but the fame, the internet reaction, the press attention. He knew about this when he was offered the part!

He has to weigh up the fortune, the privileges that come from playing a role like James Bond. If he looks it at like that he should count himself a very lucky man. If all he sees is negativity and he expresses that negativity in interviews, he should go. Perhaps at a deeper psychological level Daniel Craig is insecure or has issues about acting and how others regard him. I dunno. I sense George Lazenby had similar issues. Roger Moore embraced his profession and the role of Bond.

YES, that is exactly what i am talking about.
    look at how Robert Downey Jr. handles his franchise fame. you will almost never hear anything negative about Iron man from him, and he sure doesn't love everything about it.

Or Christian Bale who was busting his a** for the Batman, but he had enough decency to mostly shut up about it.

he is gambling with his reputation. so far he always got away with it because his movies are so great.
    But he as an actor is making a total joke of himself with those comments

I haven't got a clue how Robert Downey Jr handles his franchise fame (or his fame in general), nor do I know what he is like as a person, so I can't comment on that. But I have a pretty good idea about Bale, and a good idea how he handled/continues to handle his fame, and he has done it very well, and indeed better than Craig, whether we talk about interview stuff, or being available to fans (autographs and pics), or how to deal with paparazzi. Both private, down to earth, no bs types, and with no self-promotion or celebrity glitz interests, but Bale seems far more relaxed than Craig who seems somehow defensive - to me, anyway. But I also think Craig has been under far more scrutiny and criticism from the very beginning. Making the movies might be as long and as much hard work, but outside the actual filming the Bond actor gets the shittier deal, I assume. When asked how the roles changed their lives, the replies are similar only up to a point, and then they get very different indeed.

By all accounts and as far as I can tell Craig is a good guy. (No, not a bleepin saint like someone mocked earlier, just a normal good guy.) For everyone who encounters it fame and publicity is a learning process one way or another. Bale (despite being a few years younger) was getting scar tissue from it years before Craig started working. Bale said some years ago that he's learning (I'd say visibly yes), and at least judging from Craig's own comments he is as well (even though I realize many here won't believe that at all), but it may take time to become obvious. Or he may never accept that people even recognize him and all that, and he'll keep fighting it... :)

Anyway actors hardly lose reputation and become "a total joke" over something as harmless (IMO, anyway) as those comments from summer that people are now somehow shocked about. Not the best way to express himself, true, but also people get upset so easily over trivial things nowadays.

Nonsense , Bale is disaster handling fame. Craig's never lost temper to a crew hand or been arrested.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/4446413/Christian-Bale-goes-ballistic-on-set-of-Terminator-Salvation-movie.html

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/jul/22/christian.bale

Don't be silly.

Since you brought those up, I have to comment, so here goes... (Apologies to others for OT.) Those two things (only a couple of days apart as well, so one probably contributed to other, among other things) have nothing to do with "fame". (Apart from the fact that we wouldn't even know about either if he wasn't famous, and nobody would care... especially over 7 years later.)

The details of the family issue are unknown, and a private matter (him defending his wife rings true though, even mum and sister mentioned that), but it's pretty telling that there were no charges, no evidence of wrongdoing on his part, and the ladies kept begging him to get in touch afterwards in multiple variations of the story sold to papers over the years.

As for the TS incident shortly afterwards, it didn't happen in a vacuum, obviously. (There was the above, the frustrating TS shoot - he knew the movie was going to hell, the TDK promotion - he was missing a tragically died friend, but had to keep talking about him over and over... even more fun than junkets in general, I'm sure... there were several interviews where he looked to be on autopilot... he hasn't looked like that promoting any movie since, seemed very happy also at TS junkets the following year... despite TDK being the one he enjoyed making and was proud of.) And the other guy wasn't some innocent bystander or a poor little crew member who didn't do anything wrong. You may wanna look at what people on set said. (And even many people in the industry who were not, from Darren Aronofsky to Ron Howard - whose daughter was there, so he got a fresh report.) Bale already felt miserable before it for various reasons (personal as well as work - he never said so himself, of course, but it's obvious) and miserable and embarrassed after it, and apologized to everyone on set.

Neither of those incidents was our business, but since they were made public, he handled both as well as possible. Never tried to explain either away, or make excuses to make himself look better, never commented on the private issue (not his style and no reason he should have), and took full responsibility and all blame for the other, not pointing fingers at other parties (the DP and the director), nor bringing up work or private circumstances. I don't respect him less for being vulnerable and imperfect and occasionally screwing up. It's not like it was something actually serious.

He isn't some superhuman or saint anymore than Craig is, but you are confusing issues. I'm not sure what your point or indeed complaint about those incidents was exactly, but neither had anything to do with what I was talking about earlier.

But, of course, if you just wanted to express horror at a person having a family row, and a few of days later having a row with one colleague (who was again doing what he had already been asked not to do) for a few minutes, on a several month shoot, on a 30 year career... fine. You might be a rare individual who never gets seriously angry at anyone in any any circumstances ever, and so never say stuff you regret. I'm a normal person, though, and I sympathize with normal people having stress, exhaustion, frustration, pain and helplessness piling up to breaking point. (Yes, I look at famous people ultimately as just people, I'm weird that way.) And it's not like any noses, or indeed lights got broken or anything, on either day, so... ;)

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    After observing stories over the last few years, no Bond in their tenure has had to put up with as many articles about "who is next" than Daniel Craig. I wonder why this is, I can only conclude that running stories on the matter sells Newspapers.

All at the same time, bookies will come out giving odds. Months ago it was Elba, Last week Damien Lewis was "apparently" told the gig was his, this week Tom Hardy.
    Each time the bookies do this they take an influx of bets - Money in the Till.

If you then look at News Groups and Bookmakers and dig deep you find people like Rupert Murdoch's News International The Times, The Sunday Times and The Sun. As well as well as the Murdoch family running Sky, Which also owns Sky bet.

The media drives the stories and the Bookmakers make money off it. Between this and the who will sing the Bond theme, the bookies have made a mint out of Bond.

As we all know, Daniel Craig was aware of what he was signing up for - not just the amazing wealth, but the fame, the internet reaction, the press attention. He knew about this when he was offered the part!

He has to weigh up the fortune, the privileges that come from playing a role like James Bond. If he looks it at like that he should count himself a very lucky man. If all he sees is negativity and he expresses that negativity in interviews, he should go. Perhaps at a deeper psychological level Daniel Craig is insecure or has issues about acting and how others regard him. I dunno. I sense George Lazenby had similar issues. Roger Moore embraced his profession and the role of Bond.

look at how Robert Downey Jr. handles his franchise fame. you will almost never hear anything negative about Iron man from him, and he sure doesn't love everything about it.

Or Christian Bale who was busting his a** for the Batman, but he had enough decency to mostly shut up about it.

he is gambling with his reputation. so far he always got away with it because his movies are so great.

I haven't got a clue how Robert Downey Jr handles his franchise fame (or his fame in general), nor do I know what he is like as a person, so I can't comment on that. But I have a pretty good idea about Bale, and a good idea how he handled/continues to handle his fame, and he has done it very well, and indeed better than Craig, whether we talk about interview stuff, or being available to fans (autographs and pics), or how to deal with paparazzi. Both private, down to earth, no bs types, and with no self-promotion or celebrity glitz interests, but Bale seems far more relaxed than Craig who seems somehow defensive - to me, anyway. But I also think Craig has been under far more scrutiny and criticism from the very beginning. Making the movies might be as long and as much hard work, but outside the actual filming the Bond actor gets the shittier deal, I assume. When asked how the roles changed their lives, the replies are similar only up to a point, and then they get very different indeed.

By all accounts and as far as I can tell Craig is a good guy. (No, not a bleepin saint like someone mocked earlier, just a normal good guy.) For everyone who encounters it fame and publicity is a learning process one way or another. Bale (despite being a few years younger) was getting scar tissue from it years before Craig started working. Bale said some years ago that he's learning (I'd say visibly yes), and at least judging from Craig's own comments he is as well (even though I realize many here won't believe that at all), but it may take time to become obvious. Or he may never accept that people even recognize him and all that, and he'll keep fighting it... :)

Anyway actors hardly lose reputation and become "a total joke" over something as harmless (IMO, anyway) as those comments from summer that people are now somehow shocked about. Not the best way to express himself, true, but also people get upset so easily over trivial things nowadays.

Nonsense , Bale is disaster handling fame. Craig's never lost temper to a crew hand or been arrested.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/4446413/Christian-Bale-goes-ballistic-on-set-of-Terminator-Salvation-movie.html

Don't be silly.

Since you brought those up, I have to comment, so here goes... (Apologies to others for OT.) Those two things (only a couple of days apart as well, so one probably contributed to other, among other things) have nothing to do with "fame". (Apart from the fact that we wouldn't even know about either if he wasn't famous, and nobody would care... especially over 7 years later.)

The details of the family issue are unknown, and a private matter (him defending his wife rings true though, even mum and sister mentioned that), but it's pretty telling that there were no charges, no evidence of wrongdoing on his part, and the ladies kept begging him to get in touch afterwards in multiple variations of the story sold to papers over the years.

As for the TS incident shortly afterwards, it didn't happen in a vacuum, obviously. (There was the above, the frustrating TS shoot - he knew the movie was going to hell, the TDK promotion - he was missing a tragically died friend, but had to keep talking about him over and over... even more fun than junkets in general, I'm sure... there were several interviews where he looked to be on autopilot... he hasn't looked like that promoting any movie since, seemed very happy also at TS junkets the following year... despite TDK being the one he enjoyed making and was proud of.) And the other guy wasn't some innocent bystander or a poor little crew member who didn't do anything wrong. You may wanna look at what people on set said. (And even many people in the industry who were not, from Darren Aronofsky to Ron Howard - whose daughter was there, so he got a fresh report.) Bale already felt miserable before it for various reasons (personal as well as work - he never said so himself, of course, but it's obvious) and miserable and embarrassed after it, and apologized to everyone on set.

Neither of those incidents was our business, but since they were made public, he handled both as well as possible. Never tried to explain either away, or make excuses to make himself look better, never commented on the private issue (not his style and no reason he should have), and took full responsibility and all blame for the other, not pointing fingers at other parties (the DP and the director), nor bringing up work or private circumstances. I don't respect him less for being vulnerable and imperfect and occasionally screwing up. It's not like it was something actually serious.

He isn't some superhuman or saint anymore than Craig is, but you are confusing issues. I'm not sure what your point or indeed complaint about those incidents was exactly, but neither had anything to do with what I was talking about earlier.

But, of course, if you just wanted to express horror at a person having a family row, and a few of days later having a row with one colleague (who was again doing what he had already been asked not to do) for a few minutes, on a several month shoot, on a 30 year career... fine. You might be a rare individual who never gets seriously angry at anyone in any any circumstances ever, and so never say stuff you regret. I'm a normal person, though, and I sympathize with normal people having stress, exhaustion, frustration, pain and helplessness piling up to breaking point. (Yes, I look at famous people ultimately as just people, I'm weird that way.) And it's not like any noses, or indeed lights got broken or anything, on either day, so... ;)

No what you said was that Bale was better at dealing with fame and PR than Craig was. When your wrong because he has behaved terribly in both his professional and personal life, on set his outburst was unprofessional and left him looking like a Diva. The incident with family, the police don't arrest you for no reason, something happened the police investigated he was arrested so there was something to it. Therefore your choice of which actor you chose to use as an alternative to the way Craig does things was a flawed argument. Bales a PR disaster. His image never recovered from those two incidents.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    I must be really naive but it just dawned on me... many (or all?) these actors saying "I'd love to play Bon[d" really mean: "if I can secure a multiple film contract I'll be incredibly rich!"

Must admit, prior to Craig's recent "only for the money" comment I never thought actors suggesting themselves for the part were doing it "only for the money." I assumed they had genuine desire to play the role. But now, after Craig's comments, I doubt it.

I guess no-one plays Bond for the genuine joy it brings. That is not how life works. Ho hum.
    IMO it's not Daniel Craig who should be more careful/tone down his choice of words, but it's the rest of his profession who should handle the press in the same way as he does. Reading Craig interviews is extremely entertaining and refreshing, and in a perfect world (IMO) a lot more famous people should behave the same way.

:)

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Very true as well. Also, it's interesting that some have been censored on this forum for swearing and yet our hero is being forgiven by others for doing the same thing out there in magazine interviews that he should know (unless he has been living under a rock) would be picked up on the net. It's the 'front page of yahoo' thing that caught my attention yesterday, and not in a good way.....and precisely because I'm such a proponent of this franchise and want it to expand its audience. Bond is an institution......a global institution more than a British one these days (most of its money is made outside the UK). So whether we like it or not, I think it's helpful not to potentially offend more conservative sensibilities. What we on a forum think is largely irrelevant.

i'm on the same page about that.
    Brosnan once said, being Bond is like being an ambassador for a small state.
    I just wish Craig would handle himself with more care instead of saying stuff like 'i would only do it for the money'. I don't even want him to do a 25th bond movie if thats true. I don't need another DAF.

And Bond is definitly a global institution.
    i am a huge Bond fan since 1997 and i am not even British.
    After observing stories over the last few years, no Bond in their tenure has had to put up with as many articles about "who is next" than Daniel Craig. I wonder why this is, I can only conclude that running stories on the matter sells Newspapers.

All at the same time, bookies will come out giving odds. Months ago it was Elba, Last week Damien Lewis was "apparently" told the gig was his, this week Tom Hardy.
    Each time the bookies do this they take an influx of bets - Money in the Till.

If you then look at News Groups and Bookmakers and dig deep you find people like Rupert Murdoch's News International The Times, The Sunday Times and The Sun. As well as well as the Murdoch family running Sky, Which also owns Sky bet.

The media drives the stories and the Bookmakers make money off it. Between this and the who will sing the Bond theme, the bookies have made a mint out of Bond.

I'm sure a lot of it is indeed driven by money.

Don't be silly.

No what you said was that Bale was better at dealing with fame and PR than Craig was. When your wrong because he has behaved terribly in both his professional and personal life, on set his outburst was unprofessional and left him looking like a Diva. The incident with family, the police don't arrest you for no reason, something happened the police investigated he was arrested so there was something to it. Therefore your choice of which actor you chose to use as an alternative to the way Craig does things was a flawed argument. Bales a PR disaster. His image never recovered from those two incidents.

I wish you could use the same sensible brains you use arguing Craig's case when looking at Bale. First of all I like Craig a hell of a lot and wasn't putting him down in any way. Another poster brought up RDJ and Bale, and I only commented on the one I know about. I was talking about fame stuff, promotion, interviews, dealing with fans and press and paparazzi, all that, and yes I do think Bale has handled that better than Craig. That doesn't mean I think Craig is particularly bad on those areas like some here seem to. I think those actors have a lot in common, too. What you brought up different kinds of things, though. Private matters we shouldn't even know about.

Bale has not "behaved terribly" in either professional or personal life, I have no idea how exactly you look at those incidents - there certainly isn't anything else you might mean. He didn't look like a diva anymore than an utterly exhausted parent who has had a few miserable weeks or months is a diva when they yell at a kid who keeps doing what they're not supposed to be doing and the parent has to keep cleaning up. - I'm not making comparisons with people but the situations. Might as well be a spouse or a neighbor or something. Look at the whole situation, what was actually happening and why. Yes, he screwed up, too, but it wasn't serious, it was a one time thing, and he profusely apologized. Also, since when is being arrested the same as being guilty... and without even being charged in between? No evidence, charges or case means the person is guilty? It's not like police arrived on the scene, either, the ladies decided to contact them after going back home the next day. And such love and remorse from the "victims" afterwards. Right.

I'm not fully aware what the disaster was exactly (neither case was a happy one, but there was no major damage that I could see) and what needed recovering. He seems to be very popular and very much in demand. Hollywood and press certainly didn't seem to mind. Who the heck never has any issues with anybody? He won an Oscar (and tons of other awards) a year and a bit after the TS incident became public, seemed pretty public approval of the actor as well as his work. Directors and actors want to work with him and keep praising how great he is to work with. He certainly isn't lacking work and admirers and praise and is much liked and respected. Oh, but some people on the internet think badly of him? How is that important? It isn't.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    So what about Sean Connery? The most beloved Bond of all. He almost wanted to kick Saltzmann's ass during the filming of YOLT. He came back as 007 in NSNA and his last two "official" movies are bad also because he didn't care about the movies and the character. Come on. Craig is putting everything in those movies... he worked harder than any other Bond before him! He's involved so deeply in the process, more than any other actor before him, and that means that he CARES a lot about the project. He's just exhausted right now, it's not that difficult.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    matt_u wrote: »
    So what about Sean Connery? The most beloved Bond of all. He almost wanted to kick Saltzmann's ass during the filming of YOLT. He came back as 007 in NSNA and his last two "official" movies are bad also because he didn't care about the movies and the character. Come on. Craig is putting everything in those movies... he worked harder than any other Bond before him! He's involved so deeply in the process, more than any other actor before him, and that means that he CARES a lot about the project. He's just exhausted right now, it's not that difficult.

Connery gets a pass because well it's Sean bloody Connery. He could slap your mother and you'll end up giving him a high 5.
    Lol speak for yourself. I just think that he's really doing a good job and he's really concerned about one thing only: making the best movie he can. This is absolutely clear for me.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    matt_u wrote: »
    Lol speak for yourself. I just think that he's really doing a good job and he's really concerned about one thing only: making the best movie he can. This is absolutely clear for me.

Yeah in all seriousness it's thing being blown completely out of proportion. We're getting interviews taken at different periods being released however and people seem to be ignoring key bits of information that actually make sense and put his words into context but that's not good enough; people aren't happy unless their bitching like silly little school girls.

doubleoego wrote: »
    Yeah in all seriousness it's thing being blown completely out of proportion. We're getting interviews taken at different periods being released however and people seem to be ignoring key bits of information that actually make sense and put his words into context but that's not good enough; people aren't happy unless their bitching like silly little school girls.

You're absolutely right. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    dandan wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Poor DC...this is why he dislikes the press, and who can blame him? Everything he said was twisted around.

Then don't say stupid stuff
    ;)

This.
    It is hardly a difficult concept is it.
    Don't say stupid stuff.

You said it.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Lighten up, people, but please not with a match!

full.jpg

full.jpg
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,622
    smitty wrote: »
    The press does indeed want more click bate gossip, but Craig has done 10,000 interviews over the decades, and he shouldn't let himself get sucked in to looking bad. He would have to be terribly dumb to not know the #1 question he'd get in every single SP interview would be is he gonna do another Bond film, and #2 who does he think will be the next Bond. How difficult is it to have boring stock answers in place to finese this line of questioning.

I like his Bond, and I like his lack of precious, smarmy actor speak, but, he can be a jerk when he starts to whine about the exhausting work, and the selfies. He's not digging ditches 10 hours a day for 50 years, with no health insurance just to put food on the table.

Someone said of wealthy actors, "No whining on the yacht." And reading all his interviews with every other word a f*** this and a s*** that is also getting old. Come on Craig, shape up. There are lots worse things in life than getting $20 million + for 8 months work, playing James Bond.

Yes well said. It would be nice if he could pull it together .....for F#**'s sake.( Just "Bonding" withDC)
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    I agree with @AceHole and certainly hope @TripAces prediction is not accurate. He has no reason to apologize when he quite literally went under the knife and fought through pain in order to avoid a delay in the production.

The media and industry members chiming in on this are making themselves look like fools. Take the lead actress from Grey's Anatomy for example. She says, "He needs a reality check." Might she not feel the same as Dan if she ever had to sacrifice as much for her career? Please.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Considering Daniel skipped out on a hospital visit and had his leg or whatever reset with two wood boards to keep filming going to be put out this year instead of next is a lot of dedication. He can say what he wants. For that alone he's entitled to it. He doesn't owe the media anything. It was an Effing joke. I'm sure he was chuckling when he said it. Does he get paid for interviews? Maybe he does the interviews for the money. ;)
    Murdock wrote: »
    He doesn't owe the media anything.

I can't see anyone saying that it is the media that he owes something to.
    Who said that?

• edited October 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Craig talks a lot of smack, but I am 100% sure he will be back for B25 because Babs will ask him back, after SP is roaring success, and they will make a deal. No problem.
    In meantime he will keep talking like he's had a few, which is kind of normal for him.
    Maybe he does have a few belts before giving interviews.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 725
    My big problem with Craig's comment about slashing his wrists wasn't that comment itself, as he was exhausted and it is likely his British wit. I had more problems with the I'd only do another one for money, as I don't think that was a joke. Both comments were serious click bait and he should have caught himself. This dust up is only going to make Craig more nervous about another misstep during the upcoming tons of promo appearances, particularly the big live TV ones. A lot of press outlets are going to try to get another gaff out of him, and they will bait him. Everyone on this site understands the context of this incident, but the millions who are reading about and hearing the story don't have a clue. I watched Jimmy Fallon tonight, and he dinged Craig with a quip that like about 98% of the press coverage, ignored the context.

Where the heck was his PR rep. She makes a fortune repping him. She is supposed to be present during all his interviews, particularly print, to catch and clarify this kind of stuff with the interviewer before it is published. She is supposed to be protecting him. It's her job.

I watch TV most nights for news, sports and stuff, and I have seen exactly two short SP TV trailers, weeks apart. I have seen literally tons and tons of Bridge of Spies trailers, also tons of spots for the Martian for weeks. I hope Sony isn't stiffing SP on promo $ because they know for Sony, Bond is a lost deal.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Nothing I've read yet has me up in arms. I believe this is a simple case of Craig being Craig. There is no hidden agenda being pushed. The producers knew he was a calculated risk from day one and have been laughing all the way to the bank ever since. Could Dan be a better ambassador to the franchise? Of course. And yet, Bond has never been more relevant since the 60's.

I'm glad that Dan hasn't changed his interview habits. None of our beloved actors have been "fake" in interviews and I wouldn't expect any less from Mr. Craig. Is he so seething with frustration from the grueling shoot or is he really ready to walk away from it all? Probably both but let's ask him again in a few months. Remember, this is the same attitude that landed him the role in the first place. It's rather like how Americans celebrate NFL players for their violence on Sundays but condemn them for that same behavior off the field.

He has dumped gasoline on the fire that is the negative driven media but if SP is a huge hit then no one will remember. My only fear is that his friendship with Mendes will prevent him from continuing on if a new director is brought on board. Personally, I'd like to see him stick around for a while.
    I think Connery comments are good points. Connery publicly slated the franchise for years, was driven by money and looked bored during interviews promoting the films at the time . Yet he is remembered as the greatest ever, because the films do the talking. Nobody will remember Dan for what happens off screen.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »
    Considering Daniel skipped out on a hospital visit and had his leg or whatever reset with two wood boards to keep filming going to be put out this year instead of next is a lot of dedication. He can say what he wants. For that alone he's entitled to it. He doesn't owe the media anything. It was an Effing joke. I'm sure he was chuckling when he said it. Does he get paid for interviews? Maybe he does the interviews for the money. ;)

He's being paid for the film. Or is he playing Bond out of the goodness of his heart? If he doesn't want to do it, i'm sure there are many actors who would jump at the chance to be the next Bond, and show a bit of gratitude for the chance, too.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well if SPECTRE bookends his tenure, then he can leave. If SPECTRE ends on a loose end, then he should do another to finish that loose end, close off his tenure and wrap it up with a nice pretty bow. Then Bond 7 can come in and start something fresh. Though right now, I don't see any actors suited for the role other than Craig.
This discussion has been closed.