COMPARE THE TRACKS [#7]: "Sévérine's Theme" (SF) vs. "Andrea Anders' Theme" (TMWTGG)

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    But with different soundtracks?
    Why not CR vs TND or another one of Arnold's?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Time to get out is superior to take the bloody shot.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    1-3
    Time To Get Out

• Round #5 ends with the minimum and maximum of 17 voters as well. And this also goes for all future rounds. Current ranking:

01) 51 POINTS: "Flight Into Space" (MR) -- maximum possible points
    02) 42 POINTS: "Time To Get Out" (QOS)
    03) 41 POINTS: "Night At The Opera" (QOS)
    04) 36 POINTS: "Snow Business" (TWINE)
    05) 36 POINTS: "Big Band Death Jack Petachi" (NSNA)
    06) 32 POINTS: "Solange" (CR)
    07) 32 POINTS: "It Had To Be You" (TND)
    08) 26 POINTS: "The Bloody Shot" (SF)
    09) 23 POINTS: "Shanghai Drive" (SF)
    10) 17 POINTS: "Following The Diamonds" (DAF) -- minimum possible points

Round #6 -->
    "The Writing's On The Wall" (SP):
    sang by Sam Smith, produced by Jimmy Napes, Nile Rodgers & Disclosure, composed, arranged and conducted by Sam Smith & Jimmy Napes
    vs.
    "From Russia With Love" (FRWL)
    sang by Matt Monro, produced by Lionel Bart, composed, arranged and conducted by John Barry & Lionel Bart

Two great slow-tempo love ballads no? Two songs that really enhance the mood and atmosphere of the film. So, which one is the best?

Please use this format when you're ready to post our score:
    --> name title track A vs. name title track B
    --> 3 - 1
    --> 1 - 3
    --> 2 - 2
    It makes it easier to sum up the scores.
    Anyway, here are the tracks:

• If the links don't work.....just open a new window and watch/listen to/at it in YouTube.
  • Anyone?
    TWOTW vs. FRWL

1-3

Despite being one of the weakest songs of the Connery era, FRWL is still a bit ahead of Smith's effort for me.
    @Gustav_Graves
    I think it's unwise to compare WOTW so soon to any other song, just look at the reaction the song got on this forum....this thread will turn to a battle field too.
  • Ooowh why not ;-). I kindly ask people to vote. I don't judge. I can be very neutral in these kind of topics I create. Other people need to do the same :-). And I already think that opinions in here are becoming a bit milder about the song.

So what would your vote be @BondJasonBond006 :-P?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Ooowh why not ;-). I kindly ask people to vote. I don't judge. I can be very neutral in these kind of topics I create. Other people need to do the same :-). And I already think that opinions in here are becoming a bit milder about the song.

I already have stated elsewhere that I believe WOTW to be in the same category as FRWL and YOLT. I love all three songs.

YOLT ranks a bit higher than FRWL and only AVTAK and GE are higher in my ranking. So if I'd say WOTW is better than FRWL it would be my No 4 which seems too high for Sam Smith's song.

Therefore I have to vote for FRWL. Especially because WOTW I have to hear in the edited version on the titles. THEN I can make a final decision.
  • Ooowh why not ;-). I kindly ask people to vote. I don't judge. I can be very neutral in these kind of topics I create. Other people need to do the same :-). And I already think that opinions in here are becoming a bit milder about the song.

I already have stated elsewhere that I believe WOTW to be in the same category as FRWL and YOLT. I love all three songs.

YOLT ranks a bit higher than FRWL and only AVTAK and GE are higher in my ranking. So if I'd say WOTW is better than FRWL it would be my No 4 which seems too high for Sam Smith's song.

Therefore I have to vote for FRWL. Especially because WOTW I have to hear in the edited version on the titles. THEN I can make a final decision.

But so far it's a 3 to 1 for WOTW for you ;-).
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Writings on the Wall...

Don't like Matt Monroe's FRWL: The instrumental by John Barry is far better.
  • WOTW is in the lead then: 7 to 5 ;-)
    edited September 2015 Posts: 8,034
    Ooowh why not ;-). I kindly ask people to vote. I don't judge. I can be very neutral in these kind of topics I create. Other people need to do the same :-). And I already think that opinions in here are becoming a bit milder about the song.

So you're voting on behalf of people now, @Gustav? ;)

I think the best way to score that sort of doubt would be a 2-2 draw for fairness. What do you think?
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    TWOTW vs. FRWL

1-3

So you're voting on behalf of people now, @Gustav? ;)

I think the best way to score that sort of doubt would be a 2-2 draw for fairness. What do you think?

Nah, I'm just fooling a bit with Jason ;-). I picked up this wonderful, sexy, handsome lad up from IMDB, and threw him on the MI6-community floors :-P. Lovely chap he is :-)!
    TWOTW vs FRWL 1-3

Love Munro's crooning and for the very first Bondsong it set the standard high.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    WOTW vs FRWL

1-3

This one is not even close. Even on an instrumental only level, FRWL wipes the floor with WOTW although it is much closer. Monro's vocals are classic crooner to my ears (and it's far from my favourite song). I won't comment any more on WOTW or the singer (my disappointment is already noted in the respective thread).

Hope SP lives up to its promise, and Newman does what I know he's capable of.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    1-3
    I'm not a huge fan of either but Monro's version beats it but a hair. I'll take the Instrumental used in the film.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    It does seem a little premature to already be comparing WOTW to other tracks. I've only listened to it three times thus far.

So, at this point in time, I'd definitely have to vote 1-3 FRWL. While it's not my favorite song from the classic era, it is certainly more memorable than WOTW. It's a feel good song from a bygone age that leaves you with a warm sense of nostalgia. On the flip side, there's really nothing about WOTW that stands out to me. It's just kind of there.
  • pachazo wrote: »
    It does seem a little premature to already be comparing WOTW to other tracks. I've only listened to it three times thus far.

So, at this point in time, I'd definitely have to vote 1-3 FRWL. While it's not my favorite song from the classic era, it is certainly more memorable than WOTW. It's a feel good song from a bygone age that leaves you with a warm sense of nostalgia. On the flip side, there's really nothing about WOTW that stands out to me. It's just kind of there.

I was also thinking of putting up a comparison of "WOTW" with Scott Walker's "Only Myself To Blame". What do you think?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    That's certainly an intriguing matchup. Perhaps further down the line at some point. I still need more time for WOTW to sink in.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    A no-brainer.
    WOTW - FRWL 1-3
  • I say:

3 - 1 for "WOTW"

I've never been that fond of this Eurovision-style crooner "From Russia With Love"....
    WOTW - FRWL 1-3

The melody speaks more to me in FRWL.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FRWL all the way. It is a classic in the same era as Strangers In The Night with Frank Sinatra.
    Not really into this scoring lark, but just for WOTW - FRWL 1-3
  • WOTH - FRWL 1-3
  • 3 more votes please ;-)
  • WOTH - FRWL 3-1