COMPARE THE TRACKS [#7]: "Sévérine's Theme" (SF) vs. "Andrea Anders' Theme" (TMWTGG)

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Solange, hands down. Echoes of John Barry, forever the master...
  • Done! 17 voters. Tonight the reveal of the total points, included in the ranking so far :-)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Yay! :)
    Thank god!
  • Okay, let's speeden this up a bit. Round #2 ends with the minimum and maximum of 17 voters. And this also goes for all future rounds. Current ranking:

01) 41 POINTS: "Night At The Opera" (QOS)
    02) 36 POINTS: "Snow Business" (TWINE)
    03) 32 POINTS: "Solange" (CR)
    02) 23 POINTS: "Shanghai Drive" (SF)

Round #3 --> "Flight Into Space" (MR) vs. "Following The Diamonds" (DAF)
    Two very delicate, rather long, but very fulfilling "concert" pieces, that really enhance the locale/location of the films. They both have a sense of mystery

Please use this format when you're ready to post our score:
    --> name title track A vs. name title track B
    --> 3 - 1
    --> 1 - 3
    --> 2 - 2
    It makes it easier to sum up the scores.
    Anyway, here are the tracks:

The diamonds video dosen't work
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Flight into Space:
    Possibly John Barry's finest theme ever written. It's majestic and heavenly. It's a journey that's best shared with someone. You can easily picture the rockets launching into space to this epic music. 3-1 Hands down.

Following the Diamonds:
    A song with a great intro and closing but it's very slow to get anywhere in between. It's a fine track but nowhere near Barry's best work.

Flight into space wins.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Flight into space

I love Following the Diamonds but FIS is simply magic. This track not only sends me into space, it sends me to heaven.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Flight into Space, hands down. 3-1.

One of Barry's finest pieces. Majestic, ominous, grand, it's the work of a genius. When I listen to it, it immediately evokes an image of space.

Following the Diamonds is nice, but there really is no competition for me.
    I can't disagree with any of the above. Flight into Space 3-1

It is vintage Barry, and I expect a resounding victory!
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    Definitely Flight into Space. It's gentle and majestic. Fits the scenes from MR perfectly. Pure art. 3-1
    Flight into space wins 3-1.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    For me it's 3-1 to Flight into Space, but it's close, closer than others.

I really enjoy both tracks and they are vintage Barry.

The Moonraker scene, due to the silence when it is played and the strong visuals on the screen is probably more iconic. It captures the mood perfectly, and demonstrates why John Barry is one of the greats. For anyone who has seen Interstellar, Zimmer did an exceptional score for that movie, but it is very noisy to create tension/drama. Barry here does not need to do that.....he doesn't need the overuse of organs or drama. It's simple but very evocative of space and very poignant. That's why this one has the edge for me.

I like 'Following the Diamonds' because it has that shiny cutting sound that characterized the soundtrack - Barry attempting to creating something diamond-like. The tune has a lot of variation in it as well but draws heavily from the title track, in a good way. It's probably more spy-like than 'Flight into Space', but the iconography of the scene in Moonraker gives that one the win here.

It might have been more appropriate to compare 'Flight into Space' with 'Capsule in Space' from YOLT as they were both similar scenes.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Flight Into Space, 3-1.
    It's an absolute eargasm, if you pardon my language. Mere words cannot do it justice so I will give no further explanation. Following The Diamonds is no slouch though. Both scores elevated their respective films to arguably unwarranted heights. I was once again reminded of Barry's mastery after listening to these.
  • keep voting guys
  • Keep voting guys. Come onnn
    Flight into Space by far

In the words of Belloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark:

"It's beeeautifulll"
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 3,160
    Flight into Space 3-1.
    The whole MR soundtrack is pure Barry magic!

• Flight into Space for me.

Diamonds Are Forever and Moonraker both hold the same special place for me. I don't enjoy them quite as much as my favorites from Barry (YOLT, OHMSS, AVTAK), but they are both tremendous scores full of incredible music. "Following the Diamonds" really is a great track, but "Flight into Space" is something of a masterpiece.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,189
    @pachazo summed it up perfectly. Flight into Space is a real "eargasm"
    First I will say that I love the music in Diamonds Are Forever. Following the Diamonds sets a great mood and I love the sax used throughout the track.

But if you solely listen to the tracks and take the movie completely away from the music, I would have to go with Moonraker - Flight Into Space. It's a majestic piece that holds your ear throughout the entire track. Great brass and string melodies that intertwine perfectly.

3-1 Flight Into Space
  • It's funny though, around that time, 1978, 1979, 1980, John Barry was very much inspired by "outer space" on the whole. His music sounded very "orchestral" and "spacial". Many similarities. Like these films:

1978, "Star Crash":

1979, "The Black Hole":

Can you hear the similarities ;-)?
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    3-1 Flight into Space. So majestic and awe inspiring to go with the visuals.
  • Sharp-eyed Bond fans will notice our very own Naomi standing beside Marjo in that Star Crash clip Gustav_Graves posted. ;)
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Diamonds Video does not exist, it says. Do you have another link?

This link works fine for me.
    Hmm, must be a copyright thing, then. Not available in Germany.
  • Can someone not download the track in mp3-format? It is called "Following The Diamonds", from the DAF-score.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 4,311
    OK, in the meantime I listened to the DAD track on Spotify. "Flight into space" is the clear winner (3:1). I do not remember the exact scenes accompanied by each track, but from a musical point of view the MR track is more interesting, triggering the "cinema in my head".
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    3-1 to Flight Into Space.

I love the Diamonds score too, far more than the movie deserved, but Flight Into Space is simply amazing and is rightly held up as one of Barry's showstopping pieces. A powerhouse.