COMPARE THE TRACKS [#7]: "Sévérine's Theme" (SF) vs. "Andrea Anders' Theme" (TMWTGG)

Comments

• 1 more voter please :D
  • Please? ;-)
  • One more vote and then on to the next round guys.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Just move on. I don't see why there needs to be a vote on the tracks in the first place. What's wrong with just discussing random tracks once a week?
    Voters? :) Who wouldn't want to participate in this?
    @Gustav_Graves, I think this thread would be more eventful if had changed up the tracks every week and have a discussion for them and see which ones people like best. Waiting for 20+ people to vote on them hasn't worked out too well since it began. Not to be stepping on your toes or intrude on your thread, but If you just removed the voting aspect of it and just left it as a discussion for two Bond tracks a week, this thread would get a lot more attention. As probably the biggest fan of Bond music, I love talking about it. This is a good thread but the waiting on people to vote on the tracks element is keeping it from growing to it's true potential. You don't need the whole forum to comment on it. But those dedicated to Bond Music sure would get a kick out of it.

I don't get why we would have to vote on which track is better in the first place as it's all subjective. Just because a poll says it's better doesn't mean it's true.

I prefer talking about both tracks in depth and explain why I like one better than the other. The topic and idea is still the same but the voting element is removed. And changing up the tracks every week keeps the thread from going into limbo.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Come on people. ONE MORE VOTE! Vote now! You don't have to be an connoisseur. We are interested in everyone's opinion. If you are reading this and haven't voted yet then why are you even here? Make your contribution to the forum immediately.
  • Okay, let's speeden this up a bit. Round #3 ends with the minimum and maximum of 17 voters as well (My friend Nadine had a look at it, and she also found "Flight Into Space" the best ;-)). And this also goes for all future rounds. Current ranking:

01) 51 POINTS: "Flight Into Space" (MR) -- maximum possible points
    02) 41 POINTS: "Night At The Opera" (QOS)
    03) 36 POINTS: "Snow Business" (TWINE)
    04) 32 POINTS: "Solange" (CR)
    05) 23 POINTS: "Shanghai Drive" (SF)
    06) 17 POINTS: "Following The Diamonds" (DAF) -- minimum possible points

Round #4 -->
    "Big Band Death Jack Petachi" (NSNA):
    composed and arranged by Michel LeGrand & The Silva Screen Players
    vs.
    "It Had To Be You" (TND)
    re-arranged by Simon Greenaway (original composed by Isham Jones)
    (remember, David Arnold did not compose this track)

Two very big band-ish tracks, one is more up-tempo, the other is more relaxed. But both are excellent filler/source instrumentals for specific scenes ;).

Please use this format when you're ready to post our score:
    --> name title track A vs. name title track B
    --> 3 - 1
    --> 1 - 3
    --> 2 - 2
    It makes it easier to sum up the scores.
    Anyway, here are the tracks:

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    1-3

The TND track is infinitely more enjoyable.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,119
    For me, it is 3 - 1

I think the NSNA-score is quite underrated. Yes, David Arnold did a wunderful job for TND. But in many of his Bond films, he didn't even compose the cource instrumental music (end titles QOS, Four Tet, party music QOS, party music TND, Cuban intro DAD)

By the way, this is the original "It Had To Be You":

Regarding the track "Big Band Death Jack Petachi", I really loved the sound editing of this track in the actual scene where Fatima Blush kills Petachi...and then the happy-peppy music keeps on playing. Lovely choice ;-). Such a similar style of sound/music editing was also used in "Skyfall".....the music that plays when the Tell-game between Silva & Bond starts.

Also a very good track from Michael LeGrand of the NSNA-score:

But I didn't know with which other Bond track this could battle :(
    3-1 for Big Band Death of Jack Petachi.

I think it goes well with how over the top Fatima is in NSNA. It's tough to compare these two though. One is very fast and upbeat, the other very mellow and subtle.
    3-1 for Big Band Death of Jack Petachi.

Michel Legrande is an excellent composer, too bad he never was asked to do the original series.
    3-1 Both tracks are serviceable but that's about it. Either don't stick out to me. Both are simple little Muzak pieces that are essentially background music. Nothing more. nothing less.
    Petachi wins for being a bit more wacky and fun. The other reminds me of melodrama.

The Big Band Death of Jack Petachi.
    wins 3-1.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    3-1 Both tracks are serviceable but that's about it. Either don't stick out to me. Both are simple little Muzak pieces that are essentially background music. Nothing more. nothing less.
    Petachi wins for being a bit more wacky and fun. The other reminds me of melodrama.

wins 3-1.

But you have good and bad background music. "Airport Source" and "White House" from DAF are similar kinds of source music. And John Barry, deservedly IMO, gets away with it. But not jazz/big band musician Michel Legrand. And the latter is undeservedly if you ask me.

Most importantly, David Arnold gets away with it as well, and that's even more unfair. As it isn't really his music.
    Murdock wrote: »

wins 3-1.

But you have good and bad background music. "Airport Source" and "White House" from DAF are similar kinds of source music. And John Barry, deservedly IMO, gets away with it. But not jazz/big band musician Michel Legrand. And the latter is undeservedly if you ask me.

Most importantly, David Arnold gets away with it as well, and that's even more unfair. As it isn't really his music.

Yes but Barry's Background music is more than just simple background music. It's a character itself. Though I don't particularly care for Airport source but Whyte House is very good. Legrand's Big band music is pretty generic. I feel like I've heard it in other movies where Barry's scores are always unique and you can always tell where a Barry track and what movie it goes too. I'm not slagging off Barry but just Legrand and this Non Arnold piece. Both don't do it for me.
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    "Big Band Death Jack Petachi" (NSNA) vs. "It Had To Be You" (TND)
    2-2

While I absolutely adore high-class party/restaurant piano music like It Had To Be You, the track from NSNA automatically makes me want to jump up, flail my arms around me and dance. Not many tracks have that effect on me, hence I decided to call this a tie.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited December 2014 Posts: 7,314
    I think this is going to be my first tie. It Had To Be You is definitely a smoother listening experience. No highs or lows, just a relaxing little number. With Big Band Death, I find that my interest is really piqued at the beginning but that the song has worn out its welcome by the end.
    2-2
    2-2
  • "It Had to Be You" wins for me. I love the way that upbeat piano playfully underscores the banter. It fits in perfectly between the groovier, mellower techno tracks that come before and after.

Legrand's music for NSNA has always given me a headache. There are a few tracks I enjoy, but this isn't one of them. I can kind of see how it works in its own brash, over-the-top way, but it just reminds me way too much of how poorly suited Legrand's score was for the film. Which is a real surprise and a real shame, considering how great much of Legrand's other work is.

1-3
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,119
    Then @Some_Kind_Of_Hero. Listen to these tracks :-P:

Simply marvellous bit of music. I truly feel like I'm on the Carribean with this piece of music:

Tango to the death. Best bit of tango music in a Bond film. I always wondered why we didn't see Bond dancing in a film. Well, he did a try in TB, but the 'tango to the death' was a memorable James Bond scene:

Or what about "Une Chanson d'Amour", when Bond visits the French Riviera:
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Chanson d Amour gets my vote, the others are prohibited here. Stupid copyright infringements!
  • Yes, there are some lovely cues in NSNA. I particularly enjoy the tango music and Legrand's brief quotes of the cool main theme throughout, but still, a majority of the score grates for me and even clashes with what's being scored onscreen. Case in point: the rooftop horse chase. Has there been a worse scored scene in cinema history? To be fair to Legrand, however, I understand there was some cue shuffling going on in the editing room.

I agree with you, however, that we should see Bond dance again. Bond's tango with Domino and their exercise room encounter aboard the Flying Saucer are two of the best scenes in the film. I particularly like how in both scenes the dancing is used to drive the narrative—in the first case to deliver information to Domino and in the second to provoke Largo.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    2-2.

I'd give them an even score, based on the fact that they're both rather uninteresting to my ears.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    1-3 because I believe that Dixieland music has no place in a Bond movie, whereas "It had to be you" is a timeless classic. There is not enough relaxed dinner jazz in Bond's universe, anyway. Btw, the latter is not Bigband-ish in any way, I count exactly a piano, a drum set and a vibraphone, possibly not even a base.
    2-2

Not a fan of either one. If I wanna listen to jazz, I'll listen to proper jazz. This sounds pretty unimaginative...
  • zebrafish wrote: »
    1-3 because I believe that Dixieland music has no place in a Bond movie, whereas "It had to be you" is a timeless classic. There is not enough relaxed dinner jazz in Bond's universe, anyway. Btw, the latter is not Bigband-ish in any way, I count exactly a piano, a drum set and a vibraphone, possibly not even a base.

Just re-watch TMWTGG then ;-). Or even DAF. Two Bond films full of dixieland and big-band compositions :-)
    The best piece of big band music in Bond is John Barry's (duh...) from goldfinger, overlooking the Miami hotel (don't remember the name of the track)!
  • keep voting guys.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Round #4 ends with the minimum and maximum of 17 voters as well. And this also goes for all future rounds. Current ranking:

01) 51 POINTS: "Flight Into Space" (MR) -- maximum possible points
    02) 41 POINTS: "Night At The Opera" (QOS)
    03) 36 POINTS: "Snow Business" (TWINE)
    04) 36 POINTS: "Big Band Death Jack Petachi" (NSNA)
    05) 32 POINTS: "Solange" (CR)
    05) 32 POINTS: "It Had To Be You" (TND)
    06) 23 POINTS: "Shanghai Drive" (SF)
    07) 17 POINTS: "Following The Diamonds" (DAF) -- minimum possible points

Round #5 -->
    "The Bloody Shot" (SF):
    composed, arranged and conducted by Thomas Newman
    vs.
    "Time To Get Out" (QOS)
    composed and arranged by David Arnold, conducted by Nicholas Dodd

Two great compositions that enhanced two already great Pre-Credits Sequences. Which is the best?

Please use this format when you're ready to post our score:
    --> name title track A vs. name title track B
    --> 3 - 1
    --> 1 - 3
    --> 2 - 2
    It makes it easier to sum up the scores.
    Anyway, here are the tracks:

Time To Get Out 1-3