Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

HASEROT wrote: »
    For the naysayers, just imagine it's 1977 and the song thing happened. You're patiently waiting the radio from the next Goldfinger theme and you get "Nobody Does It Better". Same scenario.

don't ask them to do that.. it's impossible.

Not entirely true. I still recall hearing NBDIB for the first time on the radio back in 1977 as if it were only yesterday. Moonraker and All Time High barely got any radio play on their release. In fact, the very first time I even heard Bassey's MR was at the first showing of the movie at the ODEON London Leicester Square due to it not being played on the radio... which was a nice pleasant surprise.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    But I do think that "WOTW" is liked less than "YKMN" and "SF" on average.

liked less - thats the understatement of the year...

if given the choice, i think some people here would torch this song, wee on the ashes, poo on it, then grab a handful of the ash, poo and wee, and go slap Smith's mom in the face... thats about the level of "liked less" i feel on these forums right now lol.

it's hated, lets just call it like we see it shall we.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Listened to it a good few times now and it really is a grower. Liking it more and more. I still believe it's missing a bit of a crescendo bit, yeah, decent tune......
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I've gone down the comments on twitter, I saw 4/5 positive tweets about it and dozens of negative ones.

Ouch
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If the song were instrumental like OHMSS I'd really, really like it. I just feel Smith's vocals are worse than usual. I'm not a fan of him but I did like some of his songs. But here his singing is just putting me off.
  • To go back on what I said earlier - he has stolen a phrase from an earlier Bond theme. Just wondering how long before David Arnold and Garbage come knocking at the door....
  • It's just this "false" voice, this falsetto that ruins it all for you, right?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Listened to it a good few times now and it really is a grower. Liking it more and more. I still believe it's missing a bit of a crescendo bit, yeah, decent tune......

My thoughts exactly. Needs the oomph at the end, but now I've listened to it a few times (says quietly) its actually ok.
    People are liking the lyrics but sorry to state the obvious but one of the greatest soundtracks in the history of Bond (thanks for the above link) had no lyrics. The hook is what we whistle/hum on the way home from work etc, poor lyrics are easily beaten by great melody, happens in pop all the time, from the Beatles onwards
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    patb wrote: »
    People are liking the lyrics but sorry to state the obvious but one of the greatest soundtracks in the history of Bond (thanks for the above link) had no lyrics.

well... technically it did - they were just never recorded.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 330
    I have listened to it about 4 times now and my final thoughts on this. There's some parts I love. The tune is very bondy. the opening 15 seconds are fantastic, when sam sings the word writings on the wall, its great, with the tune kicking in from the beginning again. But god, that high pitch voice soils it. It goes right through me. If only they spent a bit more time on it and not had the high pitch voice, I would have loved it more.

Unforchanatly, female singers are the best choice when it comes to bond theme. Just look how many classic themes there have been, and they are all female.
    sorry, another point, the fact that OHMSS was included within the trailor was a nod (or seen to be) that this was going back to being a classic Bond with many of the traditional elements . How does that fit in with those who are saying that this song is a new love song etc etc.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    After several listens, it's not bad, not one of the best but it has some
    Good parts.
    I have listened to it about 4 times now and my final thoughts on this. There's some parts I love. The tune is very bondy. the opening 15 seconds are fantastic, when sam sings the word writings on the wall, its great, with the tune kicking in from the beginning again. But god, that high pitch voice soils it. It goes right through me. If only they spent a bit more time on it and not had the high pitch voice, I would have loved it more.

Unforchanatly, female singers are the best choice when it comes to bond theme. Just look how many classic themes there have been, and they are all female.

male singers are just as good.. Matt Monroe, Tom Jones, Paul McCartney, Simon from Duran Duran, Morten from A-Ha, Chris Cornell.. except for the white devil Sam Smith of course..
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 25
    Like it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883

The evidence backs you up, but I actually like the few male singers we've had (LALD, YKMN, TB). Even AWTD was destroyed more by Keys than White imho.

They really should have gone for a belter rather than the approach they took with Smith. It's a bit of a downer song , and I wanted more of an upbeat YKMN type affair. Hence my disappointment, along with the falsetto.

These 'love' songs have never really been my cup of tea. That's about it really.
  • Whereas "SF" is more of the "Goldfinger" of our time, "WOTW" seems to become the "All Time High" of our days :-).
    You are kidding, aren't you?

WOTW is the nadir of the situation we have in the modern Bond era of assuming a flash-in-the-pan successfully commercial artist of the day is the best choice.

Sam Smith is not soulful - he's just nasal and his need to use falsetto speaks for itself.

Most depressing thing about this though is that I suspect SS thinks he did a good job of this.
    At least there's no auto-tune
    A lot of negative vibes here! The song fits the film remember, the feel, the emotion, the whole story of whats about to unfold in front of you in the cinema!
    The song gives you a huge insight into whats going to happen in this spectacular film, with Bond, the love he feels and the sacrifice his going to take for that love. Were not talking Vesper all over again, but the love that makes you change direction and walk away from what you've only ever know, and "risk it all" for that, the commitment his prepared to give to this love!! Listen to it properly after you've seen the film, and feel the emotion of whats just happened, your see and hear it very differently!?

Or maybe you won't be emotionally connected to what your viewing and wish we had the past over and over again, instead of making a film and its music for the here and now!!

The song is great, the orchestration has great depth and Sam's vocal is tender and telling. His telling a story of love and sacrifice from this man called James Bond!!
    Danny Kleinman's credit sequence is astonishing, and whats more the film is too! A pure roller coaster of stunning story telling, through utterly compelling action and for me the emotional connection that has been part of many of us all for such a long time through our life, Bond Films and what this means to us! From a child to adulthood, the thrill that going to a cinema to see a new Bond film gives you!!

Friends have faith...This will rock you and excite you in equal measure, but most of I think it make you believe in whats coming next, when the dust settles and whats left!! Very exciting times indeed!

Keep the faith,

MrEon.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    sorry, another point, the fact that OHMSS was included within the trailor was a nod (or seen to be) that this was going back to being a classic Bond with many of the traditional elements . How does that fit in with those who are saying that this song is a new love song etc etc.
    Because Bond falls in love with Swann in this film.. almost like Vesper or Tracy (without the marriage thing) all over again.
    Can we start a petition for them to use the OHMSS trailer score?
    Can we start a petition for them to use the OHMSS trailer score?

no, but you can sneak earbuds into the theater if it's that bad for you.
  • "Former Bond actor Sir Roger Moore called Writing's On the Wall "very haunting and wonderfully orchestrated..

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34357110
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 159
    bondjames wrote: »

Yeah? Just listen carefully at 1:04. ..."thrOUgh the day..."

"Former Bond actor Sir Roger Moore called Writing's On the Wall "very haunting and wonderfully orchestrated..

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34357110

Got to love ol Sir Rog. Still keeping the British end up, even when it may be best to turn tail and run.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »

We thank God for small mercies.

• zerozerozerozero The far far east
    Writing's on the Wall - I'm rather disappointed. Too much angsty teen voice and not enough power.

I would guess they will rearrage and add some more welly to it for the screen version. Or Danny Kleinmann may need to add some sound effects here and there.

That said, I can't get the bloody tune out of my head now! There are sufficient hooks in it for some nice thematic references. Hope they did actually communicate with Thomas Newman.

HASEROT wrote: »
    i would say right now, it's 70% to 30% (at best) for people who hate it compared to people who like it on this forum .
    And the few who really love it, keep posting every 30 minutes or so, arguing their case ;-)

well... i am taking me leave from these boards again... don't know when i'll return - most likely after the film opens probably..

i just came on to hear the song, and ended up spending the last 3 hours reading people's reactions to it... 3 hours i could've been busying myself with other things... but nope, i had to let myself fall down the rabbit hole of loathing and criticism once again lol...... the real funny part is, i don't even know why it all bothers me as much as it does lol - it's not like i had any personal stake in the song - but i know better.. when i start reaching this level of frustration (over nothing) then it's time for me to go away...

adios.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Well that's quite an anti-climax.

The poor guy. It sure sounds like it was written in 20 minutes. That comment will bite him in the ass, big time.