Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    RC7 wrote: »
    Say what you will, but this is probably the most significant Bond theme ever. This theme is 100% about the movie and Bond, not about being catchy or poppy or Thunderball-esque as some of you expecting Thunderball 2.0 though.

Agreed. This is like Carly Simon, or Wings, or Chris Cornell - it brings something else to the Bond sound. It has some genuinely beautiful moments and he doesn't trudge through the lyrics ala SF. It's melancholic, brooding, ominous, foreboding, yet strangely sexy, lush and classy. That to me is a great combo. I genuinely feel sorry for those who don't like it.

i like the fact that it's a real emotional song - probably the most emotional love song in the entire series... it's got a real vulnerability to it, but is still strong, exotic and sexy..
    I like the horns and strings. I can see the orchestral part working awesome with the titles. Unfortunately that's about it.

He has Mariah Carey moments, then goes into a Josh Groban type of chorus. The falsetto parts are just too much. It's just doesn't say Bond to me. I'm going to keep listening to it and I want to see it with the title sequence. I do hope its successful with the masses.

Sam Smith is a very talented singer and a smash in his genre of soul/pop. I just don't think he was the right fit for Bond. It's just very out of place. Let's hope Newman can salvage a great Soundtrack for SP. I think I just had my heart set on another Chris Cornell type performance for SP.
  • I'll ask again....anyone else had trouble purchasing this in iTunes??????
  • antovolk wrote: »
    The Barry-esque orchestration will sound great on the big screen and I could like I said get used to the vocals by October 26. It for sure IMO fits well tone wise with the film.
    I agree. The orchestra part sounds great and I love it!!! Very Bondian. Well the high pitched parts are not really my taste but the rest is good. :)
  • RC7RC7
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Say what you will, but this is probably the most significant Bond theme ever. This theme is 100% about the movie and Bond, not about being catchy or poppy or Thunderball-esque as some of you expecting Thunderball 2.0 though.

Agreed. This is like Carly Simon, or Wings, or Chris Cornell - it brings something else to the Bond sound. It has some genuinely beautiful moments and he doesn't trudge through the lyrics ala SF. It's melancholic, brooding, ominous, foreboding, yet strangely sexy, lush and classy. That to me is a great combo. I genuinely feel sorry for those who don't like it.

i like the fact that it's a real emotional song - probably the most emotional love song in the entire series... it's got a real vulnerability to it, but is still strong, exotic and sexy..

Exactly. I can only imagine people were praying for another YKMN or SF2 and this isn't it. It's worlds apart.
    I'll ask again....anyone else had trouble purchasing this in iTunes??????
    If you're not in the US, it won't be available to download until Monday.

Brings me to my next question - those of you in the US - has it gone up on iTunes now?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    When is YouTube release?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I was fine with Adele coming back, by the way. But it's good to have others. I would have preferred someone other than Smith, though, yes.
    Count me in the middle. Liked the instrumentals just fine, but still meh on Smith's voice. Wouldn't rank as the worst Bond song (still DAD for me), but far from the top. I consider it average.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I listened to it a few more times. Not a fan of the vocals really. But the song itself is good. I kinda wish Adele would have come back.
    SS is a great singer, agree with that, But there are hundreds of great singers out there and that does not mean they are right for Bond. It's wrong to think that those criticising the song are having a go at SS. Its a decent enough song and I can see why some like it. But there are thousands of great songs but few are good fits for a Bond movie. Its just too delicate, too fragile, Bond is a professional killer confronting his life long bad guy. I don't see this reflected in the song. A real shame, a real shame
  • I like it. What's wrong with his voice? It's fine. Also, we should wait for the film and the title sequence and see if it fits.
  • The orchestration and song are really nice, which makes it even more of a shame they've got a singer with an effected voice. I hate this emotion-laden whiney delivery, all groaning and hand-wringing, like someone's just stolen his sweets.
    To quote Saxondale, "get over it, we've all been dumped".
  • RC7 wrote: »

You don't need to feel sorry for those who dislike the song. You should simply respect their opinions :-).

I sometimes find people in here suffering from a severe kind of 'splitting personality'.

Some people really long for more typical Bond-esque aspects on other fields of the movie, like a white dinner jacket for Daniel Craig (costume department), a more Bond-esque score from Thomas Newman (Hasn't he been accused in here of....being too 'boring', not infusing too much of the typical Bond sound?). But those same people ask the opposite on another field/aspect of the film, like in this case the title song "Writing's On The Wall" ("finally not a typical Bond song with cliché's!").

I think we need to watch our steps sometimes with our criticism. What comes about is one clear thing that we never should forget: It's all a matter of taste! There's no 'right' or 'wrong', or 'black' and 'white' in a huge production like a Bond film. Sometimes you like it, sometimes you don't.

Having said all that,the initial feeling/opinion in here on average is less positive as compared to the release of "SkyFall", now 3 years ago. And letting my own personal music taste speak a bit: I'm not a fan of "Writing's On The Wall". Don't feel sorry for that. Respect it.
  • Bland, generic, has no hook - exactly what I feared when I heard Sam Smith had the gig. There's an element of 'emperor's new clothes' about him because he ticks so many boxes, but considering his most memorable song stole a hook from Tom Petty they should have allowed him to pinch a phrase or two from previous Bond themes to redeem this because his voice is not strong enough to carry the song on its own. Not sure if it is the worst, but certainly jostling for position with Lulu and Jack White/Alicia Keys for the honours.

Bet he thinks he is right on the button with it though.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    JWPepper wrote: »

This is the only link that worked for me; even the BBC radio link won't open on my Android phone, not sure why. Thanks for posting it!

Mixed reaction to first listening, will give it a few goes and post thoughts later.

• SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    It's great
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

Exactly. I can only imagine people were praying for another YKMN or SF2 and this isn't it. It's worlds apart.

Exactly. Sam Smith's song is perfect for this movie. Very uplifting and inspiring for being such a dark song.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    I was set on hearing it the first time in the cinema, but judging from the reactions here I think I'll just be more dissapointed if I do wait... What to do, what to do...
    Ok it's on iTunes now, moved forward from Monday. Google Play etc still Monday
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/writings-on-the-wall-single/id1037850750?app=itunes
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    edited September 2015 Posts: 149
    I've been here before
    But always hit the floor
    I've spent a lifetime running
    And I always get away
    But with you I'm feeling something
    That makes me want to stay

I'm prepared for this
    I never shoot to miss
    But I feel like a storm is coming
    If I'm gonna make it through the day
    Then there's no use in running
    This is something I gotta face

If I risk it all
    Could you break my fall?

How do I live? How do I breathe?
    When you're not here I'm suffocating
    I want to feel love, run through my blood
    Tell me is this where I give it all up?
    For you I have to risk it all
    Cause the writing's on the wall

A million shards of glass
    That haunt me from my past
    As the stars begin to gather
    And the light begins to fade
    When all hope begins to shatter
    Know that I won't be afraid

If I risk it all
    Could you break my fall?

The writing's on the wall

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

people are comfortable with, and almost expect cliche' ..... when it's not, they don't know what to do..

i do believe that initial knee jerk or first reactions are always the worst - because it's the moment when months (or years) of expectation collide with reality - and no matter what, when someone builds up an expectation in their mind over time, it can never be met or surpassed... i think in time, this will gain traction... Adele's "Skyfall" wasn't heavily praised when released, and it's taken time for it to garner the wee bit of respectability it has on these forums... even Chris Cornell's "You Know My Name" wasn't warmly received when it was released.. it took time..
    I can imagine it playing over the end credits as its thoughtful and subtle, but the beginning IMHO is about raising expectations, getting you excited, making the hairs stand on the back of your neck in anticipation of the roller coaster ride coming up for the next 2 hours. CR did that so well, even when you watch it now, it just shouts "c'mon lets go"
    anyone want to overlay the SS song over the trailer?
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,215

I really commend Sam for not cranking out a Bond theme pastiche and having the balls to make a unique, raw, theme while keeping just enough of that Barry touch. I'm actually quite surprised by the reaction as a whole. It wasn't at all what I was expecting , but I really like it. Is it the best Bond theme? By no means, but it's been a long time since a Bond theme has so effectively wrapped me up in its atmosphere and emotion.

To quote Sam Mendes from the first videoblog, "The film is about whether or not to pursue the life he's always pursued, whether he matters, and if he's going to continue or not." I think the song does a really good job of putting you in the shoes of someone at that crossroad in life. I think once people have seen the film (and likely see what Mendes and Kleinman cook up for the title sequence) the perception will change.
    patb wrote: »
    I can imagine it playing over the end credits as its thoughtful and subtle, but the beginning IMHO is about raising expectations, getting you excited, making the hairs stand on the back of your neck in anticipation of the roller coaster ride coming up for the next 2 hours. CR did that so well, even when you watch it now, it just shouts "c'mon lets go"
    anyone want to overlay the SS song over the trailer?

I'm thinking of cutting something together myself.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    Ok it's on iTunes now, moved forward from Monday. Google Play etc still Monday
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/writings-on-the-wall-single/id1037850750?app=itunes

its not available yet in the UK...I have bought it but the download option isn't showing

• For me it's OK, but only OK. I'm a bit disappointed that since the departure of John Barry (and to a lesser degree David Arnold), there doesn't seem to be anyone exercising any form of creative challenge over the main title themes. I understand that they need to be commercially successful to keep the studios happy and support the marketing campaign, but surely we can have something that's commercial and of a decent pedigree? SS says he wrote the song in 20 minutes, and as a musician I think it shows. If Mr Barry had been around, he would have sent Mr Smith back to the piano to try again. Just adding well orchestrated Bondian strings to a somewhat average / unmemorable ballad does not make a Bond theme.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    patb wrote: »
    Bond is a professional killer confronting his life long bad guy. I don't see this reflected in the song. A real shame, a real shame

thats not just what the movie is about... yes, that's the overall plot... but there is an emotional subplot going on as well - which this song fits perfectly
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I find that dispite my initial reaction the song is surprisingly catchy! Reading the lyrics on the previous page (Danke @00Ralf) I could hear the song playing in my head (mind you, I do have a good ear). I think the biggest problems I find with it is the refrain which isn't strong enough and the "Writing's on the Wall" line that doesn't seem to fit well, like it was added afterwards.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    My ranking after WOTW:

1) YKMN - Hard to beat.
    2) Nobody Does It Better
    3) WOTW
    4) SF
    5) TWINE

I think any fans of NDIB as one of the greatest Bond themes will like WOTW better.