Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    michallo_w wrote: »

I ffff-ing hate Spotify!! Always had! I prefer good old free mp3 downloads via SoulSeek (great software program, NO ads: http://www.soulseekqt.net/news/node/1 ). This bloody online Spotify player isn't working. I keep pressing play, and it's not loading. Anyone uploaded the song to YouTube already?

Here it is: @Gustav_Graves

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3bs06i6f00771t/Writings on the wall.wma?dl=0
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    jake24 wrote: »
    Whoever isn't liking the song, just listen to Die Another Day right before it and I promise you'll love it.

Why would listening to one crap song make you LOVE another crap song?! Crap is crap.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    The instrumental is fab but the song itself is just a generic (by all means not at all bad) love song. After listening to it I didn't feel like hiting replay but since others are saying it improves each time you hear it then I will do so.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Two things this song needs 1 another arrangement 2 another Artist
    Sorry I really don't rate this at all it's a karaoke nightmare no one will be able to sing it.
    Sort of reminds me of micheal jackson earth song .
    Like how you basically nicked the BBC Breakfast critic, almost word for word :))
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I woke up at 3:30 for this.

What people have to consider is that this is a particular type of Bond theme. People were probably expecting another "Skyfall" so to speak. This is much different than we've heard before. I'd say some of the best Bond lyrics ever. But it's hard to tell whether
    He's referring to Vesper, or Swann? Can someone tell me?

Once you appreciate the song, you'll see that it's incredible.

However, I wished it was a bit more "badass" but for sure one of the best themes.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,586
    Surprised it's not on YT yet.

Alright, I'm signing off for the next couple hours. Until then I hope more people are inclined to change their opinion. Really great song.
  • My insta-verdict: Meh.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    This song has boosted my curiosity about the title sequence tenfold. I think we're going to get something very haunting and visually dark.

i don't know if this would be spoilers or not..... but i'll tag it as such... so read at your own risk...
    in one of the leaked drafts (at least the one i read).. Mendes inserted notes on ideas for what he wanted to see for the opening credits.. he writes that he wanted to see Octopus tentacles taking the viewer on a visual journey through the past.. spiraling down... the drowning Vesper... Le Chiffre... Agent Fields covered in Oil from QOS... Silva... M dying...

it's very similar in a way to the opening titles of OHMSS in that regard, but there is a lot more of a macabre theme to it all... i picture it like the titles to SF and OHMSS combined together... Kleinman's work is going to make this look phenomenal - if this is indeed what it will turn out looking like...

so picture all of that, with Smith's song - and it all goes together so wonderfully, just visualizing..
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Sorry I really don't rate this at all it's a karaoke nightmare no one will be able to sing it.
    Like how you basically nicked the BBC Breakfast critic, almost word for word :))

Dont watch it normaly but I had just listened to it on the link from the home page and my wife said your right it does remind you of Jackson
    So I used it in my post as for the karaoke quote it's true and too good a line not to use.
  • HASEROT wrote: »
    This song has boosted my curiosity about the title sequence tenfold. I think we're going to get something very haunting and visually dark.

i don't know if this would be spoilers or not..... but i'll tag it as such... so read at your own risk...
    in one of the leaked drafts (at least the one i read).. Mendes inserted notes on ideas for what he wanted to see for the opening credits.. he writes that he wanted to see Octopus tentacles taking the viewer on a visual journey through the past.. spiraling down... the drowning Vesper... Le Chiffre... Agent Fields covered in Oil from QOS... Silva... M dying...

it's very similar in a way to the opening titles of OHMSS in that regard, but there is a lot more of a macabre theme to it all... i picture it like the titles to SF and OHMSS combined together... Kleinman's work is going to make this look phenomenal - if this is indeed what it will turn out looking like...

so picture all of that, with Smith's song - and it all goes together so wonderfully, just visualizing..

My thoughts exactly, but that should probably go in the leaks thread.
  • It feels like a conclusion to Craig's Bond =((
    I can understand the criticism. Smith has a unique voice so he is never going to sound like Tom Jones. But let's be honest thunder ball couldn't be more macho if Tom Jones sang it astride two lions. I like this one. Whether you can sing it at karaoke is lowest common denominator in terms of music criticism.

Having heard it once an hour ago it's still going
    Round my head.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I woke up at 3:30 for this.

What people have to consider is that this is a particular type of Bond theme. People were probably expecting another "Skyfall" so to speak. This is much different than we've heard before. I'd say some of the best Bond lyrics ever. But it's hard to tell whether
    He's referring to Vesper, or Swann? Can someone tell me?

Once you appreciate the song, you'll see that it's incredible.

However, I wished it was a bit more "badass" but for sure one of the best themes.
    i think it can be interpreted as either just depending on who you ask... but my immediate reaction is that it's about Swann, as she (in regards to the story) has a very Tracy vibe to her's and Bond's relationship in this film.
  • He sounds like he's about to burst into tears. Hate it. And it's a shame, because the tune and orchestration's nice, but that voice!
    Skyfall's the only decent Bond theme since the 90's. The Bond themes are now like the Eurovision song contest. Good for a laugh.
    @Mrcoggins wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »

Dont watch it normaly but I had just listened to it on the link from the home page and my wife said your right it does remind you of Jackson
    So I used it in my post as for the karaoke quote it's true and too good a line not to use.
    Did you think of Jackson before the guy mentioned it?
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    It feels like a conclusion to Craig's Bond =((

Does have that "Leave in the night / Dance into the fire" thing about it. On the other hand, it could still pass off as childish love song.
  • 5815892458158924 Valencia (Spain)
    Anyone have the lyrics of the song? Please, thanks
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    shamanimal wrote: »
    He sounds like he's about to burst into tears. Hate it. And it's a shame, because the tune and orchestration's nice, but that voice!
    Skyfall's the only decent Bond theme since the 90's. The Bond themes are now like the Eurovision song contest. Good for a laugh.

Agree with you on SF being the best in a long time. But I wouldn't scoop YKMN in with the rest of the post-90s attempts.
    so.. a song is then only good if it's easily singable and isn't a karaoke nightmare?.. i don't get the point of that comment except to poke fun at the amount of people who will undoubtedly butcher that part when trying to sing it..

• I just listened to it twice. For me the song doesn't....build towards something 'big'. It's wonderfully orchestrated, I have to say that. Perhaps better than "Skyfall" when it comes to the mixing and production. But overall the song for me is a bit....too much 'love song'. I think it's a very good song, but perhaps more suitable for the end titles. The song has a lot of key changes, but overall they fail a bit to bring it to memorable coherent melody. I find this song after two listenings a bit more difficult to 'whistle' as opposed to "Skyfall".

Also striking for me, is that "Writing's On The Wall" is perhaps even more 'low-tempo' as compared to "SkyFall". In a way, I think "Writing's On The Wall" would be nice to include it in the 'collage of love' from "OHMSS" when Tracy and Bond are really shown as a couple in love. I also think now, that Madeleine Swann really could be the 'Tracy' of "SPECTRE". Expect the most believable romance between Bond and a Bond-girl since Vesper Lynd.

A quick ranking of the past 9 Bond songs from the past 8 films from best to worst, "SPECTRE" included:
    01. "SkyFall" (will become a classic and perhaps the only Bond song in a long time to win an Oscar)
    02. "The World Is Not Enough" (sensual, sultry, I love Shirley's vocals, and Don Black's lyrics are missed)
    03. "Surrender" (as of today I still call this a main title song entry)
    04. "You Know My Name" (but only the movie version please, wonderfully orchestrated)
    05. "GoldenEye" (also a classic, but perhaps a bit too much 'by the numbers')
    06. "Writing's On The Wall" (warm, sensual, beautifully produced, but lacks "oomph!" for a main title song)
    07. "Tomorrow Never Dies" (never was a fan of Sheryl Crow's vocals, it has a nice melody though)
    08. "Die Another Day" (Mirwais Ahmadzaï inclusion of some nice string sections lifts up this rather bland pop song)
    09. "Another Way To Die" (it's a sad, way too simple, boring melody, centered too much about three depressing musical base notes)
  • RC7RC7
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I can understand the criticism. Smith has a unique voice so he is never going to sound like Tom Jones. But let's be honest thunder ball couldn't be more macho if Tom Jones sang it astride two lions. I like this one. Whether you can sing it at karaoke is lowest common denominator in terms of music criticism.

Having heard it once an hour ago it's still going
    Round my head.

Thunberball isn't even that good imo. This is much, much better and like you say, Karaoke? Who gives a f***.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    edited September 2015 Posts: 432
    It's gonna need some time to sink in for me. So, I'm not that sure what to say yet. It took me a few hearings to really appreciate SF, so we'll see.

At the moment I enjoyed the instrumental bits a lot.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,215
    What's really interesting about this is that the choice of Sam Smith would indicate that they're going to go for a very catchy, marketable, mainstream pop song, but he actually took it in the completely opposite direction. It's not necessarily the kind of song you pop on and listen to on your way in to work or perform at a karaoke bar, it is very much a song about the film, for the film and it is really more about atmosphere than anything. I don't think that's necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, the song is what it is.
    Hated the falsetto, hated the song. Sounds like a eurovision entry from eastern Europe. Best part is the strings.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2015 Posts: 12,459
    I still cannot find a way to listen to the whole thing ... only 1 min. 10 seconds ... incredibly frustrated. Yes, his voice is too high. Could be just okay but I cannot judge the whole thing yet, damn it!! Most of the problem is with my computer, I think ...

When Sam stated this was the highest he has EVER sung, it had me thinking of BeeGees and singing chipmunks ... it was not that horrendous (though again, I have not heard all of it). I am leaving for a bit. I have to deal with this later; I am too beside myself with frustration and trying for more than an hour now.
  • This is an interesting tidbit
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/live/2015/sep/25/sam-smith-theme-tune-james-bond-film-spectre-writings-on-the-wall
    He said the song was a collaboration between himself and Bond director Sam Mendes, who tweaked so the spy didn’t seem too vulnerable.

We wouldn’t want that, would we?

“Sam had a say in some of the lyrics I was writing and made sure Bond didn’t sound weak, that he still sounded powerful,” Smith told the paper.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I remember reading it only took 20 minutes to write. So I guess that
    Works out at 5 min for song and 15 min for a nice chat with Mendes. :D
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,661
    On first hearing, didn't like it much. Not a fan of his voice which sounds like he's singing with a forced higher voice. The violin sections remind me of Barry's Thunderball score.

The end bit "The writing's on the wall" seemed just stuck on to the melody, not a natural end-line to the chorus.

It sounds exactly like a Sam Smith song - which is why I wished he'd never got the Bond theme gig. I'm sure I'll like it more on future listens but it's just too Sam Smith in vibe for my liking and I'm not a fan of his pop ballad/high pitch style of music. Sorry, just not my kinda thing but as I'll hear it a million times more I'm sure it will grow on me.

I think this would have made a better SPECTRE theme tune:

More moody. Stronger chorus, also less theatrical type vocal.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Personally, I can't say I liked it. It lacked the emphasis and the enthusiasm of a blow inside, which the Bond themes have always had. Not a fan of the high pitched voice, either.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Hated the falsetto, hated the song. Sounds like a eurovision entry from eastern Europe. Best part is the strings.

This. 100%. His voice is just bloody awful.

My only hope is that Mendes and co are on such a giant OHMSS vibe with this movie they decide to put an instrumental version on the opening credits and stick the vocal one at the end!