Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    There is certainly a derivative sound to that 15s clip. If it all sounds like that then you may be right. I think ther will be some new interesting elements in the whole song at least (I hope so anyway).

Regarding picking flavours of the month (or year), I think they've been doing that for a while quite frankly. Duran Duran, AHA etc. The difference was Barry did the mix on those tracks and so infused them with a unique Bondian sound that only he could do. My understanding is that around the time of Duran Duran, he got upset with the whole process, because I believe they demanded some 'creative control' and Cubby gave in. This became even worse with TLD. That was, to my understanding, one of the reasons why Barry packed it in....because it was becoming too commercial.

I think Newman may have done the orchestration on this new track.......it sounds like the work of a composer and not Smith's team. Let's see tomorrow.
    I am hopeful that Newman was involved and the title track will be woven into the score. If they've managed to do this, then that in itself is a massive step forward. It doesn't matter how good the song is, if it's not woven into the film then it doesn't really matter.

• aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    Writing on the wall will be available from 7:45am BST tomorrow.
  • aaron819 wrote: »
    Writing on the wall will be available from 7:45am BST tomorrow.
    How do you know??

• Getafix wrote: »
    I am hopeful that Newman was involved and the title track will be woven into the score. If they've managed to do this, then that in itself is a massive step forward. It doesn't matter how good the song is, if it's not woven into the film then it doesn't really matter.

Hopefully this time around we get to hear the song woven a bit more into the score. But I am not so sure that this is possible when the composer doesn't also write the song. I might be wrong but I don't recall the song from TND , DAD or QOS being woven into the score by David Arnold (you might be able to correct me on this). I was listening to sections of the audio commentary by Michael Apted the other day for TWINE. And one of the things he did get right (there is a lot wrong with that film) was that he was adamant that the song be written with it also being interwoven into the score. But this was also much easier when the person writing the score also writes the song. Newman may feel that adding a piece of music by someone else isn't correct when its him writing the actual score for the film and not the title track.

• edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Yes but I think everyone is hoping that Newman has been involved in the song this time. Particularly with the orchestration.

Let's wait and see. If not then it's a real shame.
    @fromswedenwithlove Sam's official twitter page
  • In preperation for the new BOND song. I'm going to grab a vodka/martini chill out and listen to all the songs that came before....
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Getafix wrote: »

Hopefully this time around we get to hear the song woven a bit more into the score. But I am not so sure that this is possible when the composer doesn't also write the song. I might be wrong but I don't recall the song from TND , DAD or QOS being woven into the score by David Arnold (you might be able to correct me on this). I was listening to sections of the audio commentary by Michael Apted the other day for TWINE. And one of the things he did get right (there is a lot wrong with that film) was that he was adamant that the song be written with it also being interwoven into the score. But this was also much easier when the person writing the score also writes the song. Newman may feel that adding a piece of music by someone else isn't correct when its him writing the actual score for the film and not the title track.

TND and QoS are interwoven into the score quite a bit. DAD, not so much.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    No, he wrote that the song will be in radio and available for purchase at 7.45. Still it could be online sooner
  • No, he wrote that the song will be in radio and available for purchase at 7.45. Still it could be online sooner
    That's what I thought too

Oh boy. The boards are about to explode, for better or worse :))
  • RC7RC7
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    To be honest the likelihood is that none of the Craig themes like the Brosnan ones are likely to age outside of the films or the fan base as they are generally not that memorable. They look good on the credits but unlike the classic Barry songs they don't really live outside of that, no one is likely to be humming WOTW or SF in 10 years time.

By picking the flavour of the month artists they pretty much guarantee that, the song is just a marketing tool and nothing really much more, I understand the reasoning. Adele's theme played into big time SF's box office and they are thinking Sam Smith will do the same but produce a classic that stands the test of time, no I don't think this something they are really bothered about.

To think BB & MGW said it's going to one of the best themes of the series. Seriously it isn't and that just pure hyperbole, no way is this going to compare with Barry's best.

EVERY Bond song has been a marketing tool.

Yes but until Adele and Smith they didn't pick hugely popular artists of the moment for the job of singing the theme.

The success of Skyfall has now made them think they need a worldwide smash every time with a mega selling artist of the last few years and they'll feel they need to repeat it again and again.

We are going to be getting facsimiles of Bond classics for foreseeable future rather than something that shakes the formula up.

This is the thing some bitch about the series being shaken up and not going down the tribute route and not alluding to the past like the constant threads about SF being slagged off or Craig's Bond wearing a white tux like Connery did but Sam Smith's song which is going to be alluding to the classic era is OK with the likes of RC7 but he'll go on about images and plot points being recycled but it's fine to have xerox of the past for the theme, if it's not a unadventurous sound alike song I'll be incredibly surprised.

I've not heard the song yet. If it's completely derivative, or 'copied' as you seem to be implying, then I'll likely not take to it. I don't find SF derivative, it simply embraces the wider 'Bond' sound, it doesn't copy something wholesale that was previously iconic, namely the GF DB5 or Tux, as you bring up. As for them doing it again and again... we're talking SF and SP, hardly again and again. You seem very butt hurt about all this.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Oh boy. The boards are about to explode, for better or worse :))

Yeah, I can already see countless posts harping on about their disappoint and dissatisfaction with it.
    The angle to take is to foster low expectations and be pleasantly surprised if it's just 'OK' and if better still something to really look forward to! ;)

I am very interested in the song I still hope to visit this thread and see everyone's reactions to it without diving in and listening (I do have the willpower and bloodymindedness): I want to hear it for the first time at the SP premier.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    so that I don't get a headache figuring it out, 745 British time is when for Pacific Time? Like 1145pm PT tonight?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It'll be good.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,518
    =bg= wrote: »
    so that I don't get a headache figuring it out, 745 British time is when for Pacific Time? Like 1145pm PT tonight?

Yes, I'm in the same zone as the bay area.

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

Mark your calendar for 11:45 PM. Lucky you. It'll be 1:45 AM for me.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Mark your calendar for 11:45 PM. Lucky you. It'll be 1:45 AM for me.
    2:45 for me :D
    In preperation for the new BOND song. I'm going to grab a vodka/martini chill out and listen to all the songs that came before....
    Great idea!

• edited September 2015 Posts: 1,068
    doubleoego wrote: »

Yeah, I can already see countless posts harping on about their disappoint and dissatisfaction with it.

It's a given that there'll be quite a few pages worth of reaction when it lands so if we've passed page 100 just now I'd guess at least another 10-15 landing chock full of 'wow', superb', 'adore it' with a few of these being epic 'orgasmic' missives from GG!! :D

I'm hoping it's going to be another very hummable and catchy YKMN or SF
  • 5815892458158924 Valencia (Spain)
    What time will be in England? I'm going crazy :))
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    @58158924 It'll be 8:45 AM your time, sir!
  • 5815892458158924 Valencia (Spain)

Thanks, Although Sam Smith would not trust me so much :)) :))
    It'll be 7.45, not 8.45. Sam Smith is speaking in UK terms, as are Capital FM - so around 10 to 8...

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    JCRendle wrote: »
    It'll be 7.45, not 8.45. Sam Smith is speaking in UK terms, as are Capital FM - so around 10 to 8...

@58158924 is in Spain, @PropertyOfALady was giving him the local time which is +1 hour than London/Dublin/Lisbon time.
    From Capital Fm:

Our first play on Capital of the Spectre theme song arrives at the end of this week on Friday from 7:50 AM so make sure you're listening to find out what Sam sounds like on the soundtrack from Daniel Craig's latest Bond outing.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Cool.
    Ears tuned to the radio in the morning!!! :-bd
  • Forgive me ignorance of time zones -- I'm in Los Angeles (where we've just discovered how to tell time apparently) -- would that be around 10 or 11PM our time?