Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yeah agreed @BJB006 ...wish Dalton had had a better team then.

I think though Penny Dreadful has been good for him and helped get him back into the public eye. Plus better filmmakers to work with.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Penny Dreadful, named after Samantha Bond in DAD perhaps?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

Actually she resembles Vesper Lynd of CR quite a bit, it's astonishing! Wonder why...

;;)

Actually she resembles Vesper Lynd of CR quite a bit, it's astonishing! Wonder why...

;;)

Funny

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It annoys me how Dan's comments about doing another film have been twisted and taken out of context lately. He never outright said, "I'm not doing another," nor did he say, "yes, another's in the works as we speak." People jumping to the conclusion that he is done with the role simply because at the moment he "can't even conceive it" is absolute balderdash, to put it lightly.

After working tirelessly to bring another Bond film to the screen, both onscreen and off, working his arse off day and night at ungodly hours for months on end, do you really think Dan wants to think about doing another film before Spectre is even out? Dan is an artist, and as an artist you would be playing the fool to plan for another project before the current one has yet to be released. If your mind wanders to another project way in the future while your current work has yet to be completed, that final product will suffer because not all your energies are committed to it in full.

Dan doesn't have a foolish bone in his body, and is a smart businessman. He will wait out the release of Spectre, gauge the audience opinion (do they want to see more of him?), get Michael and Barbara's thoughts on where the character could go next in relation to what happens in the movie (is he interested in the plans for Bond?), and then he will go from there. Right now he's simply playing the waiting game, seeing the overall critical and financial response to his work before jumping to any conclusions and making any concrete statements. You know, like a smart individual.

Why interviewers, bloggers and other internet speculators have yet to see how stupid questions like, "are you doing another Bond film after this," or "are you still going to play Bond," are, I haven't the faintest idea. What perplexes me more is how said individuals get themselves dressed each morning. I always assumed their hired nannies, but I could be misinformed...

Just had to throw my two cents out there on this topic, because I was quite frankly getting unnerved about the idiocy.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,554
    Germanlady wrote: »
    He dropped out of MM (thankfully) to do the play. And out of that courtroom drama days before shooting started. I haven't heard of any legal issues directed at him, so there must have been real good reasons. So, 2 movies were scheduled.

IMO, he had worked almost continuously for many years and finally found, there is a life beyond making movies. I see him directing, producing and doing whatever film interests him - small or larger and not necessarely in the lead. He has no problems playing second or even thrid fiddle, if the part is interesting and tempting. Maybe baddies, too.

Rachel already started producing with Babs.

EXCLUSIVE: UK sales outfit nabs drama executive produced by Barbara Broccoli and Rachel Weisz.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/starline-warms-to-tom-brownes-radiator/5093117.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS-HEADLINES&contentID=42422

He wrapped Betrayal months before The Whole Truth was set to start filming; I think it was MM that he left to conentrate on Betrayal.

EDIT: that is what you said...My bad

As far as I know, TWT doesn't have a release date. DC left that knowing it was a rotten egg.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Sadly when talking with my colleagues at work or in the football club about Bond it's always only Brosnan and Craig who get mentioned the most as being anybody's favourite. Connery gets a lot of respect of course, but Dalton is forgotten or simply viewed as the one that failed which always makes me sad.

At the risk of sounding snooty - when you ask people who have an understanding of film or acting they are more often than not quite complimentary about Dalton, even if they are not actual Bond fans...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    It annoys me how Dan's comments about doing another film have been twisted and taken out of context lately. He never outright said, "I'm not doing another," nor did he say, "yes, another's in the works as we speak." People jumping to the conclusion that he is done with the role simply because at the moment he "can't even conceive it" is absolute balderdash, to put it lightly.

After working tirelessly to bring another Bond film to the screen, both onscreen and off, working his arse off day and night at ungodly hours for months on end, do you really think Dan wants to think about doing another film before Spectre is even out? Dan is an artist, and as an artist you would be playing the fool to plan for another project before the current one has yet to be released. If your mind wanders to another project way in the future while your current work has yet to be completed, that final product will suffer because not all your energies are committed to it in full.

Dan doesn't have a foolish bone in his body, and is a smart businessman. He will wait out the release of Spectre, gauge the audience opinion (do they want to see more of him?), get Michael and Barbara's thoughts on where the character could go next in relation to what happens in the movie (is he interested in the plans for Bond?), and then he will go from there. Right now he's simply playing the waiting game, seeing the overall critical and financial response to his work before jumping to any conclusions and making any concrete statements. You know, like a smart individual.

Why interviewers, bloggers and other internet speculators have yet to see how stupid questions like, "are you doing another Bond film after this," or "are you still going to play Bond," are, I haven't the faintest idea. What perplexes me more is how said individuals get themselves dressed each morning. I always assumed their hired nannies, but I could be misinformed...

Just had to throw my two cents out there on this topic, because I was quite frankly getting unnerved about the idiocy.

exactly @0BradyM0Bondfanatic...

the only people who know what is, or will happen, are in a very small circle..... sorry for those who may be new to the forums (meaning, joined within the past couple months).. but people have joined these boards before, just to come on, troll a bunch of nonsense (very similarly to what is going on now), only to look like an idiot in the end and be proven wrong........ i think i speak for a lot of regs, like myself, who have been around here for a considerable amount of time, when i say we aren't going to say "how high" when we are told to jump.... anybody can come on here and claim to have inside info on anything - and all they simply have to say is that i have "credible sources"... and when challenged, it's easy to hide behind it because at the end of the day, it's hard to disprove something that's not true - like trying to disprove a negative....... bottom line, i'll wait to see it before i believe it, not because someone barely known on this forum told us - the same person who's first post on this site was to share "inside info".... forgive me..

Makes the most sense. At this point, I would probably do the same. Why not wait and see and not coming in the danger to overstay my welcome?
    HASEROT wrote: »

exactly @0BradyM0Bondfanatic...

the only people who know what is, or will happen, are in a very small circle..... sorry for those who may be new to the forums (meaning, joined within the past couple months).. but people have joined these boards before, just to come on, troll a bunch of nonsense (very similarly to what is going on now), only to look like an idiot in the end and be proven wrong........ i think i speak for a lot of regs, like myself, who have been around here for a considerable amount of time, when i say we aren't going to say "how high" when we are told to jump.... anybody can come on here and claim to have inside info on anything - and all they simply have to say is that i have "credible sources"... and when challenged, it's easy to hide behind it because at the end of the day, it's hard to disprove something that's not true - like trying to disprove a negative....... bottom line, i'll wait to see it before i believe it, not because someone barely known on this forum told us - the same person who's first post on this site was to share "inside info".... forgive me..

Well said all of you ..

• edited September 2015 Posts: 2,015
    I find all the comments about the interviews are not interesting indeed, as long as it's not heard straight from the artist's mouth (compare with the Logan interview where he not so cryptically answered the rumours about script problems by explaining he was done with writing for movies - here you had the truth...).

But the general comments here about how artists "think" are weird for me IMO. Those I work with do always talk about the "next thing". The energy for what they do is for what they do, but not for what they talk about. That's why the promo tour and press junkets are a major pain...
    anybody can come on here and claim to have inside info on anything - and all they simply have to say is that i have "credible sources"... and when challenged, it's easy to hide behind it because at the end of the day, it's hard to disprove something that's not true - like trying to disprove a negative....... bottom line, i'll wait to see it before i believe it, not because someone barely known on this forum told us - the same person who's first post on this site was to share "inside info".... forgive me..

But don't you find that the track record of this forum about rumors turns out to be very impressive so far ?

And that on the other hand we saw many "experts" in judging what is true and what is not, who didn't understand that a tweet about the song by Smith, Goulding and Radiohead was a joke ? :)

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

That's the Best Two Cents Worth in this entire thread including my earlier post
    Thanks Brady.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I have seen, in my relatively short time here, incorrect statements expressed by 'old timers' and also by 'newcomers'. So time on the forum has not suggested any extra credibility from my perspective.

At the end of the day, all we have is our opinions until something is proven to be fact. If other's opinions don't fit one's current, passionate (understandable, given we are all Bond fans after all) and firmly held view, then I think it's best to politely discuss and debate why one feels differently.

Personally, I see no reason why there cannot be speculation on why DC may be packing it in post-SP. He is on his 4th, and is approaching his 10th yr in the role. Such conversations are only natural at this stage of his run, and anything coming out of EON's mouth (or DC's for that matter) pre-SP release should be taken with a huge pinch of salt (as I said, witness Smith's & Waltz's comments to date on their respective involvements in the film).

As I said earlier, I have a 'feeling' that the man is done with Bond after SP. Something about the way they've approached this lately (including using others for marketing etc.) as well as his intro at the SP press launch gives me this 'gut feeling', which is all it is. I look forward to being wrong, because he's a great Bond and I'd like him to continue for a few more. Having said that, I don't mind a fresh start post-SP as well (and I think it would be a good time to make a switch after the origin story - including SPECTRE - is told).
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    bondjames wrote: »
    I have seen, in my relatively short time here, incorrect statements expressed by 'old timers' and also by 'newcomers'. So time on the forum has not suggested any extra credibility from my perspective.

agreed... never claimed that it did - time is not an excuse..
    bondjames wrote: »
    At the end of the day, all we have is our opinions until something is proven to be fact. If other's opinions don't fit one's current, passionate (understandable, given we are all Bond fans after all) and firmly held view, then I think it's best to politely discuss and debate why one feels differently.

again, agreed.. but there is a point where to disacknowledge valid points raised on both sides, just to railroad home an opinion gets to be too much.... debating and discussing (for me) has never been the issue.. and i'll admit that sometimes i can be guilty of doing it too - i've tried to curb doing it in recent months, as it's a nasty habit..... but what grinds my gears, is giving credence to unsubstantiated claims simply because a person - who no one really knows claims to have info "on good authority" - a person who's sole intent to join the forum was to share inside info - a person who doesn't engage in any other topic discussions, unless it's ones pertaining to the one currently at hand.. that comes across as more than little fishy for my own personal taste.. as i've said, i've seen this dog and pony show played out several times here over the years.. forgive me if i don't fall right in line and believe what said individual (or any other for that matter) says who is brand new and hasn't had time to build up any reputation, much less one as a credible insider who is "in the know"....

if it were someone like DarthDimi, JamesPage, Creasy47, Benny, Samuel001, Marketto, NicNac, DaltonCraig007, Kerim, or anyone else - i might be more inclined to take inside info with a bit more weight.. not someone who joins just to say "guess what i know!!"..... and thats not based on their collective time on these boards, or if they are Mods.. it's because they generally don't jerk people around with info, and have built credible enough reputations by doing so..

again, i stress.. discussing the possibility of Craig leaving is not something i am against.. it's a hot topic and should be discussed by those who want to discuss it... but claiming to know something others don't - and discrediting other's opinions or beliefs because of it is where i tend to draw the line.... this is why i jumped out of this discussion thread a few weeks back... because there is no discussion to be had with people like that.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2015 Posts: 15,690
    My inside info is EON are thinking of casting @haserot as Hugo Drax in a Moonraker remake. Honestly, I always read your posts in Drax's voice. :D
    My inside info is EON are thinking of casting @haserot as Hugo Drax in a Moonraker remake. Honestly, I always read your posts in Drax's voice. :D

=)) i love you @DaltonCraig007
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Right back at you, @haserot! :-bd

As for Craig, I believe him and Mendes will come back for Bond 25 to finish this 'trilogy' of sorts. As for Bond 26? Who knows. If EON can get their hands on David Fincher or Denis Villeneuve as director, I don't see Craig refusing to make a Bond film with that amount of talent at the helm.
    My recent disagreement wasn't so much whether or not Craig is leaving after SP ...my gut says the same that he is indeed ...no what perturbed me so was the claim that Craig CAN'T come back and that was by a personal agreement with Mendes. I don't expect Mendes to return either btw.

...oh and being called a pimple. Didn't like that either lol.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I still think he will probably do one more. Trying to do a sixth would probably be stretching it. Although DC grew up in the Roger era, so why not go for broke and do six or seven. We could have the whole ageing past it Bond story done properly - although they sort of shot that bolt already with SF.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    ...oh and being called a pimple. Didn't like that either lol.

I'd draw the line there too actually. I've encountered a few of these buggers in my time and they can be especially nasty on occasion. The only more grave insult potentially would be to compare someone to a boil..
    ...again, i stress.. discussing the possibility of Craig leaving is not something i am against.. it's a hot topic and should be discussed by those who want to discuss it... but claiming to know something others don't - and discrediting other's opinions or beliefs because of it is where i tend to draw the line....

True that. Agreed
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,015
    And it's weird anyway to have people claiming to have "big scoop" about the Bond that had the biggest leak ever..
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Dan is a serious actor and he won't do another unless he sees some point to it - he may well have given the role all he has to offer after SP. I for one wouldn't blame him for quitting while he's ahead.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,554
    Remember what Apollo Creed said to Rocky: "Ain't gonna be a rematch."

Well, how'd that turn out? When people are caught up in the emotions of their current mood, they're prone to saying things that don't necessarily reflect reality.

To me, it's clear that DC is exhausted from a 6-month, grueling shoot, and saying "No more." Then, after a year's rest, he'll be ready and in the right mindset.

Right back at you, @haserot! :-bd

As for Craig, I believe him and Mendes will come back for Bond 25 to finish this 'trilogy' of sorts. As for Bond 26? Who knows. If EON can get their hands on David Fincher or Denis Villeneuve as director, I don't see Craig refusing to make a Bond film with that amount of talent at the helm.

This is my thinking, as well. When the dust settles, and SP makes billions and EON says, "We'll pay you X to do B25," they'll sign on the bottom line.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Yes, @TripAces. Nothing will be clear until after the dust settles on SP. If it beats SF at the box office (or comes close) you can expect Craig and Mendes to sign for another outing.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm not sure if Mendes will return; SF really took it out of him as he hadn't worked on such a massive production prior but SP just looks and feels like a gargantuan production that may understandably keep him away from doing another but we'll see. As for Craig, I truly believe he'll be back for a 5th but I wouldn't get all salty if he didn't.
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I'm not sure if Mendes will return; SF really took it out of him as he hadn't worked on such a massive production prior but SP just looks and feels like a gargantuan production that may understandably keep him away from doing another but we'll see. As for Craig, I truly believe he'll be back for a 5th but I wouldn't get all salty if he didn't.

I'm not sure Mendes will return either. Instinct says this is definitely him done, unless he decides that he has an unfinished story he needs to tell (again).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I really don't see Mendes returning; the only thing that has me keeping it as a possibility is that he said the same stuff after SF. Plus, if he wants to return but decides to do Broadway or a smaller film first, that only means we'll have to wait even longer for another installment, and it isn't worth it. Get someone new to tackle the next one after SP.
    RC7 wrote: »

I'm not sure Mendes will return either. Instinct says this is definitely him done, unless he decides that he has an unfinished story he needs to tell (again).

Haha yeah, a never ending story that he feels only he can tell.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I really don't see Mendes returning; the only thing that has me keeping it as a possibility is that he said the same stuff after SF. Plus, if he wants to return but decides to do Broadway or a smaller film first, that only means we'll have to wait even longer for another installment, and it isn't worth it. Get someone new to tackle the next one after SP.

Agreed. Waiting around for Mendes just isn't on. Either he has the stamina to put out another movie in 2 or 3 years; ideally 2 or EoN should definitely hire someone else.
    I am getting a bit bored of Daniel's comments of late regarding the character, up until layer cake he was unknown to me and playing bond has made him a global star. I was over the moon when CR was such a success after all the Craig not bond rubbish, but now he needs to show some respect for the opportunity that he was given and either say he loves playing bond and will continue or that his time is up and he wants to work on other projects. When it comes to his replacement time has moved on and I would like to see a fantastic actor in the role regardless of his skin colour, but more important an actor that is so motivated by the part and is so appreciative of how much it will enrich their life.
This discussion has been closed.