"Can you play any other tune?": Who should perform the next Bond theme...?

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Well, that's another one off the list then. Good news.
    Who should perform Bond 23's theme?

Shirley Bassey!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Tom Jones. And when the centennial anniversary arrives, Tom Jones again. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    QBranch wrote:

Yes, make sure we preserve the body. Cryogenics anyone?? ;)
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    edited November 2011 Posts: 642
    Heres an interesting interview with 'Rumer' from the Telegraph from this time last year. I'm not suggesting this sheds light on anything but sadly as the end sentence reveals, we may never know just what was planned from the master of Bond music.

"This bleeds into her music, and is brought out by her producer and arranger Steve Brown.
    “People who cared about me and my music were having a go saying, 'You have got to be kidding,’ ” she recalls, but Brown’s orchestral sheen adds something attractively retro to her work. I suggest the pair should do a Bond theme.

“Do you know,” she says conspiratorially, “I am working on a secret project with John Barry.”

She actually refers to this project at his Memorial Concert too. I wonder what magic we may have missed.. Anyway just thought it was interesting. :-)
  • Well, of the Bond films (ncluding NSNA) 60% were voiced (lead singer of a band too) by females, 26% by males, 4% were duet, and 8% were instrumentals/no voice. Of the 21 films that had a tune with singing (non-instrumental), 17 films (81%) had their tune feature the title in the lyrics, 4 were not (including the last two).

I want a Bond theme with a woman singing a song that has the word SKYFALL in it, or is about it. People talk about Bond traditions, how about the movie title in the theme song instead of this emotional crap?

Skyfall by Adele please.
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,926
    Interesting statistics. Now work these out:

if the Skyfall song ends up being sung by a female, what are the percentages?

If the title 'Skyfall' is in the lyrics, what are the percentages?

If the theme is sung by an artist whose gender cannot be determined, what are the percentages?

Oh, and @BondForever- welcome aboard!
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 886
    QBranch wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    Who should perform Bond 23's theme?

Shirley Bassey!

Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey. Hip swiveling sweaty magic! :-bd
    They could both hit that glass shattering high note at the end. (*)
    How about Jill Tracy?

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1D-1svpUyoM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1D-1svpUyoM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Ian Astbury:

Josh Homme/Them Crooked Vultures:

Incubus (just wait for ~3:16 - don't skip to it, because you lose the effect):

And, of course, my current favourites, Kasabian:

Ian Astbury:

Josh Homme/Them Crooked Vultures:

Incubus (just wait for ~3:16 - don't skip to it, because you lose the effect):

And, of course, my current favourites, Kasabian:

so a band with John Paul Jones is ok but not yes or rush?

That's correct. Because unlike Yes or Rush, Them Crooked Vultures don't get hung up on prog-rock - which usually comes across as pretentious and experimental. Them Crooked Vultures are not a progressive rock group.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

Jet ... too bad they are on hiatus right now - if not for a main theme, I think an interesting alternate, or even a song for over the end credits would be cool.... song starts at 1:00 in the video..

Amy Lee.. I always did love her voice - and it's obvious she has a set of pipes on her that are powerful, and I think she could definitely deliver a quality sounding Bond theme - provided that her band stay away from it, and it's just her lol. (posted earlier)

Ozzy.. i know this will never happen - but I think it would be an interesting collaboration nonetheless... Ozzy does have a very melodic voice when doing slower songs like this, and picture an even fuller arrangement of orchestra behind him than in this song, add a bit of the Bond guitar twang to it - bliss.... it's a completely oddball, and out of left field choice - but one that i think could actually work. (posted earlier)

Coldplay.. probably a more natural choice than the one directly above this..

Sharon Jones... she is a dark horse of mine.. like Ozzy, she would probably never stand the chance to doing a Bond theme, as she is not mainstream enough - and her style is very old school doowop/motown sounding at times... but she has a soul to fer voice, that I think could shine through with a Bond theme, like Shirley Bassey and Gladys Knight.

Another example of Jill Tracy's work...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_BIqcYq9B4?version=3&hl=en_GB&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_BIqcYq9B4?version=3&hl=en_GB&rel=0"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 2,598
    Good Lord, Mr. Gallagher enjoys using the "f" word. Appalling! :) Don't want him to do the Bond theme. I'm all for Adele. She'd be fantastic. What a voice.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2011 Posts: 4,441
    I am thinking about Elton John making a re-make of this song with a litle bit of change in the title of it. Original title Know by Know, title change i like to see be Know Me By Know. Original performer have the same name as the chacter from Tomorrow Never Dies: Robert Palmer. He past a way.

This and my earlier sugestion of Leonard Cohen his song '''Dance Me me to the end of love' songs are from 1994, in 1994 Brosnan be anouched as Bond and i think the title of the song is a nice Title song sequel title of You Know My Name & Goldeneye: You Know The Name You Known The Number. Remade by Elton John for title song or for the end credits because it introduce the end.At the gunbarrel at the end of QOS is dificult to understand then this one. It is a 90's written song but it is also feels a bit 80's and present (CR/QOS) time and it easy can have been at under the end credits of TMND in my opnion. (Same effect as K.D Lang) . Another idea can be to change the name of song a litle bit and make it ''Known Me By Now''. Imagine Elton John sing this song. The songs fit perfect the story about Vesper, Bond and M. Past (CR/QOS) and future.

Earlier somebody at the song with the end credits of Goldeneye, but that video don't work any more.

This be the song i promes earlier in fanart thread and iam thinking about before there said Skyfall have nothing to do with Vesper, but i am thinking why not give the song as sugestion for inspyration for Bond 23/Bond 24.

The original Video clip
    The lyrics

Know By Now

You ought to know by now

Baby when our hearts awoke
    Think of all the rules we broke
    In the name of love we hoped
    Little did we know

Darling all the time we spent
    Ignoring all the consequences
    And hiding from big evidence
    Hoping things would change

But the yearning grew like the loneliness of a castaway
    To be near to you was the only thing in my heart each day
    Keeping me alive till your rescue came

Honey you mean everything to me
    You ought to know by now
    Love means everything
    You ought to know by now
    Only love can bring happiness

Wishful thinking spent in vain
    What to loose and what to gain
    All the guilt and all the pain seemed to come away
    And baby when our hearts awoke
    Think of all the rules we broke
    In the name of love we spoke
    Little did we know
    But the hope was there
    like a ray of sun on a cloudy day
    Any change from impossibility to the only way
    Love can conquer all
    And its here to stay

Honey you mean everything to me
    You ought to know by now
    Love means everything
    You ought to know by now
    You ought to know by now
    Love means everything
    You ought to know by now

You ought to know by now
    You ought to know by now
    You ought to know by now
    You ought to know by now
    --

If nor Elton John iam thinking about Simpley Red

• I wouldn't go with Simply Red. Don't sound like ideal Bond artists to me. I don't know who I would like as the Bond singer I just want a damn good song. Last one was utter tripe. You Know My Name is one of my favourites and feels like almost an ultimate Bond song for me. If I had to pick maybe Chris Cornell can do it again.
  • Simply Red must die.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 2,598
    Britney Spears. If the film is rubbish then her song will harmonise well with it. ;)
    Simply Red's music is pure class, but I still stand by my top two choices- Buble or Adele.
  • VOTE FOR ADELE GUYS in this page ;D https://www.facebook.com/mi6.co.uk#!/pages/Adele-for-007-Skyfall-Theme-music/181305191958668?sk=wall
    Pray for ADELE to the Theme song !!! (Y) :-bd
    stanley clarke
    Cynthia Harrel
    keane -back in time
    the fact is it be someone the public knows adele,gaga,beyonce some one famous
    hated the last theme,though i liked eva almer version .if it really was a alternative song?
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited November 2011 Posts: 1,261
    I would settle either with Adele, Coldplay, Goldfrapp or, after listening several times to this Muse... As long as it does not mean we get another Madonna theme song (she has done really great songs, but DAD is, I am afraid, complete crap) or Jack White or the likes...
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    renno61 wrote:
    Cynthia Harrel

I would be onboard with this selection.. She has a very beautiful voice, kinda like that 60's vibe.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    those who are calling for Michael Buble to do the theme for Bond 23..... you just got yourself another supporter.. i'm jumping on the bandwagon... decided to take a gander at some of his stuff just a little bit ago... and all i can say is....... damn.

He's even got the Daniel Craig pout going.

Trent Reznor and Karen O

I know Im the only person who would think this is a good idea but still.
    Risico007 wrote:

Trent Reznor and Karen O

I know Im the only person who would think this is a good idea but still.

Can't wait for an extended version (if they make one).

I find this song fascinating, and the trailer its in is just amazing. One of the few cases imo where its better than the original.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Gotta say Katherine Jenkins would definitely deliver the goods but for a main title theme? I'm not so sure. Would love to hear her have a bash though.

I could see her providing a love theme or end title...btw, she is indeed beautiful and definitely fits the Bond Girl mould very easily. :-)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROthBWNwgiGUIrHAFc04AT7Xx0lileKv3azwN9vkmFvTDqJESv5w

Dalton as Bond, Zeta-Jones as the Bond Girl, Hopkins as the Villain & Jenkins to sing the title track. :D
  • Major Smythe, if that ever saw the light of day you'd expect the Welsh Rugby squad singing 'Land Of My Fathers' as the main intro

Without wishing to upset anyone I sincerely hope they don't choose Jenkins, Bubble or Adkins as next Bond artist, I don't feel the need to elaborate. I think though I could end up sorely disappointed but that's how I feel about it. If they can pull off anything like Cornell's quite superb YKMN in 06 that would be just fine
This discussion has been closed.