"Can you play any other tune?": Who should perform the next Bond theme...?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Major Smythe, if that ever saw the light of day you'd expect the Welsh Rugby squad singing 'Land Of My Fathers' as the main intro.

I'd rather Jenkins sing the title track while the closing theme would be a Wales Rugby squad rendition of Nobody Does It Better.

• It could well be an improvement on the Simon effort too

I must be the only Bond enthusiast in the universe who sincerely doesn't like the 1977 Spy theme, I just turn off audio whenever it comes on, no disrespect as she is a fine artist and I don't have a problem with other tracks such as Why, You're So Vain and Coming around again, but Spy always has been one of my least favorite themes

And going back to the Welsh angle, why not Super Furry Animals or Catatonia or even Manic Street Preachers for the Bond theme, the latter would be an awesome choice and I think that could really work

Damn that sounds good, The Manics for Bond 23, I could really get into that :-\"
  • He's even got the Daniel Craig pout going.
    He does at that, lol, but not Buble, well not alone. I dont know who he could team up with either. I feel that SF will have a sweeping epic of a song...can't wait.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Risico007 wrote:

Trent Reznor and Karen O

I know Im the only person who would think this is a good idea but still.

Not bad, but it will never beat Led Zep.
    He's even got the Daniel Craig pout going.
    He does at that, lol, but not Buble, well not alone. I dont know who he could team up with either. I feel that SF will have a sweeping epic of a song...can't wait.

Buble and/or Adele. Let's inject some soul into this baby.
  • HMBFFHMBFF Lisboa, Portugal
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:

Trent Reznor and Karen O

Can't wait for an extended version (if they make one).

I find this song fascinating, and the trailer its in is just amazing. One of the few cases imo where its better than the original.

This is the extended version. And Risico007, you're not the only person who thinks this is a good idea...
    HMBFF wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:

Trent Reznor and Karen O

Can't wait for an extended version (if they make one).

I find this song fascinating, and the trailer its in is just amazing. One of the few cases imo where its better than the original.

This is the extended version. And Risico007, you're not the only person who thinks this is a good idea...

No this is the Full version, as in it runs the length (or about) of the original song. Led Zeps is under 3 minutes as well. I'm talking a full extended version, well beyond 2.5 minutes.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I would be ecstatic if Muse did it
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 2,782

This is what DA will do with Adele.

This is what Adele will do without DA:

And this is what Florence would do without DA:

And this is what Feist would do without DA:

And this is what Templecloud would do without DA:

And this is what Black Keys would do without DA:

And this is what Prince would do without DA:
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Personally, forgotmyusername, my favorite Florence + The Machine song is Shake It Up.
    I wish they hadn't wasted Joss Stone on a video game :/
  • Just discovered these guys. I think they'd be great!
    Yes, very awesome. When their other song "Standing Next to Me" came out, I was left speechless.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @forgotmyusername

in all fairness - when the title artists write their own stuff, instead of working with David Arnold and Don Black... it usually turns out sounding like complete trash, ie:

"Tomorrow Never Dies" by Sheryl Crow
    "Die Another Day" by Madonna
    "Another Way To Die" by Jack White and Alicia Keys

on the contrary - the 4 songs that Arnold has written alongside the artists turn out quite well, ie:

"Surrender" by K.D. Lang
    "The World Is Not Enough" by Garbage
    "Only Myself To Blame" by Scott Walker
    "You Know My Name" by Chris Cornell

.....that is unless you just hate all of the above...
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 5,745
    Could have sworn The Last Shadow Puppets were the Arctic Monkeys in disguise. Sounds so similar!

EDIT: The lead singer of Arctic Monkey's is part of The Last Shadow Puppets -_-
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,879
    The Last Shadow Puppets is a band consisting of Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys, Miles Kane formerly of The Rascals, and composer/producer James Ford (to quote Wiki) ;)
    QBranch wrote:
    The Last Shadow Puppets is a band consisting of Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys, Miles Kane formerly of The Rascals, and composer/producer James Ford (to quote Wiki) ;)

And their video for "My Mistakes Were Made For You" was shot at Pinewood studios ;)

I think they'll be good for 24, especially if it centers around Quantum again. Then CR, QoS, and 24 will all be quantum and all have rock-ish themes.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I wish they hadn't wasted Joss Stone on a video game :/

I'm sure she could definitely still do a Bond movie at some point. She has a long career ahead of her. ;)
  • Robbie Williams.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,879
    I've been hearing this song on the radio for a while now, and admittedly, whenever I hear it I have to drop everything. This one's a bit slow for a Bond theme- but just focus on her voice. She compares herself to Nancy Sinatra.

This next one is a bit closer to the tempo required for a Bond theme.

Based on these two songs alone, I feel this girl could do a great Bond theme in future. She has a big career ahead of her. Keep an ear out.

(666th post. Lucky I'm not superstitious.) :-S
    QBranch wrote:
    I've been hearing this song on the radio for a while now, and admittedly, whenever I hear it I have to drop everything. This one's a bit slow for a Bond theme- but just focus on her voice. She compares herself to Nancy Sinatra.

I hate songs that make me sad. Damn you. :P
    QBranch wrote:
    Based on these two songs alone, I feel this girl could do a great Bond theme in future. She has a big career ahead of her. Keep an ear out.

(666th post. Lucky I'm not superstitious.) :-S

I believe you've convinced me, my top pick after Adele and Buble.
    Her "Kill Kill" is quite favorable, as well. A bit slow, but it could work.
  • she sounds a bit like Heather Nova with a cold.
  • This from David Arnold's twitter. Seems he's been hanging with Michael Buble. ;))

"Buble is a lovely fella.this is true."

"Buble made me a couple of ace bloody marys during a fun evening on his 'bus'"

Don't know if this could be anything Bond-related, but thought I would post it.
  • HASEROT wrote:
    those who are calling for Michael Buble to do the theme for Bond 23..... you just got yourself another supporter.. i'm jumping on the bandwagon... decided to take a gander at some of his stuff just a little bit ago... and all i can say is....... damn.

I've also thought this particular tune would make the perfect QOS theme.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Oh no, please not Buble. I find his music to be sickly sweet. :-&
  • Oh no, please not Buble. I find his music to be sickly sweet. :-&

half right - just take out sweet.

• awesome
    awesome

Is this a movie or something? If so, that would be so amazing.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    awesome

Is this a movie or something? If so, that would be so amazing.

Yes it is, see the upcoming movies thread I've just linked four trailers for dis movie yah!

• Paul McCartney anyone? He did it once I sure he do it again
    This is a bit of an odd suggestion, but what about the Strokes?

I know Bond hasn't had a great past with Pop artists (I direct you to Duran Duran, Madonna, and Jack White/Alicia Keys), but I think they've got serious potential. They aren't really Pop either, more like some kind of reform Rock.

Thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.