Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    RC7 wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    This thread is going to explode once the song is released. I have a feeling some people are going to despise it.

That's true of any song.

I'd say very few, if any, despised SF. This feels like it is going to be divisive.

Skyfall felt like a Godsend after the awful AWTD.

Sam Smith is as mainstream as can be. Obviously he is critically acclaimed with several Grammy wins and hugely successful in selling records which is something that is not that easy nowadays.
    I can't imagine that his song will divide people. I'm pretty sure this will be another No 1 hit plus guaranteed Academy Award nomination. And I don't even have to hear the song first to know that.

Maybe "we" are overcritical in a forum like this. And I have to include myself in that assessment.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I am seeing a lot of hate towards Sam Smith doing the Bond theme in the general media.

That's because everybody realises Sam Smith was only chosen because he was the most successful British artist in the last two years. It's only about money, a theme which seems to stay with EON more than ever before, and that is kind of sad. Mainstreaming Bond to death seems wrong.
    I said it before and say it again, the billion dollar Bond will turn out to be a curse in the long run.

Totally disagree. Yes it's about money in part - always has been and always will be. But after Adele this was an obvious choice. And it's actually evidence that Bond is at a peak of success right now. EON can work with whoever they want and not just old has-beens passes their prime. It's refreshing that the Bond themes are being performed by artists at the peak of their careers - it helps make Bond feel fresh, and a little bit culturally relevant instead of a bit of a joke.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I believe it was a random choice and totally out of left field.
    I believe it was a random choice and totally out of left field.

i assume you're joking?

• RC7RC7
    I can't imagine that his song will divide people. I'm pretty sure this will be another No 1 hit plus guaranteed Academy Award nomination. And I don't even have to hear the song first to know that.

When I say 'divisive', I was meaning within the fan community.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    All this anti Smith talk is a bit silly.

Personally, as soon as his name was mooted, at least a year ago, I thought it made sense.

The discussion smacks of all that Craig not Bond nonsense.

Wait for the song and then make up your minds.

As for Jarvis Cocker saying a Bond song HAS to be brassy - what a load of nonsense.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

When I say 'divisive', I was meaning within the fan community.

I doubt that ..we here agree on everything lol

• RC7 wrote: »
    This thread is going to explode once the song is released. I have a feeling some people are going to despise it.

Some people are going to despise it even if it's good. They'll just dislike it because it's Sam Smith.

i know this isn't the correct place ofr this question, but please can someone tell me whether the new vodka is on sale now. or when the release date is. I checked at tesco today but its just regular belvedere

David Zaritsky from The Bond Experience posted on the site's Facebook account a picture of him finding it in stores on August 27, tho I've yet to find it myself in Austin.

I've also yet to see a pre-order for the Main Title theme on iTunes.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    tumblr_m2rkjneZDF1qer56yo1_250.gif

Wrong thread again.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Getafix wrote: »
    All this anti Smith talk is a bit silly.

Personally, as soon as his name was mooted, at least a year ago, I thought it made sense.

The discussion smacks of all that Craig not Bond nonsense.

Wait for the song and then make up your minds.

As for Jarvis Cocker saying a Bond song HAS to be brassy - what a load of nonsense.

In complete agreement here. I'm not really a fan of Smith's but I'm aware of what his contribution can do as an added benefit to SP. It's a very good business decision. However, before I say anything else, I'll wait to hear what his contribution sounds like.

• Noel Gallagher laughed when told of Sam Smith's involvement with SPECTRE

http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/88192

Asked if he would record a future Bond theme, Gallagher was keen: "If I was asked," he said. "Fucking too right. I'd record a Bond theme in a heartbeat. But they usually want people who are famous in America, don't they? I'm only famous in Manchester. And bits of south London."
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If it's good I'll say it is, no I'm not a fan of Smith but if he delivers as I said I'll eat humble pie, the days of them taking some risks and giving the job to real innovative talent are long gone, I've made my peace with that, the idea of Radiohead getting the job was just too good to be true (for me anyway).

As much as a missed opportunity AWTD was I'll listen to it over Crowe's dirge, Garbage's funeral march and that Madonna tune.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Wow, recorded in January.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Could this mean there's a better chance of it being incorporated into the score?
    Absolutelly, @jake24. Newman has no excuses for not including Sam Smith's song more prominently than Adele's SF number. Though my betting is Newman won't want to defile his latest New Age musical masterpiece with an actual melody. I hope I'm wrong.
  • 5815892458158924 Valencia (Spain)
    Sam Smith, has suspended the concert tonight in Madrid claiming that he had no voice, but this morning has flown to London, and the gossips say that is because I had to urgently film the video or song Spectre "Writing 's on the Wall "
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 5,745
    58158924 wrote: »
    Sam Smith, has suspended the concert tonight in Madrid claiming that he had no voice, but this morning has flown to London, and the gossips say that is because I had to urgently film the video or song Spectre "Writing 's on the Wall "

In his BBC Radio 1 interview, he said the only people that knew he had done the song were his parents and those involved with his video - hinting at past tense.

I think they've already done it. It's fairly late in the game to be doing it now - and he would have planned for it. Stupid rumor or stupid scheduling if true.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Kind of irrelevant but have any of you guys heard Lana Del Rey's "Honeymoon"? The one with the orchestral backing is very Bond-Esque and very Barry.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,015

You mean the writing is on the wall ?

More seriously, can you tell a non English native speaker if the title sounds like an easy self-criticism for those who will hate it with passion ? Is it like calling a song "This is a disaster" ?
    No I don't think so - I don't have an issue with the title and seeing the link to the names of Mi6 fallen it's quite clever unless there's even more meaning wrapped up in it. I have more of an issue with the singer and whether the song will have the balls
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    andmcit wrote: »
    No I don't think so - I don't have an issue with the title and seeing the link to the names of Mi6 fallen it's quite clever unless there's even more meaning wrapped up in it. I have more of an issue with the singer and whether the song will have the balls

His song may have twice the balls.
  • KillmasterKillmaster Roanoke, Virginia USA
    I'll start by apologizing to all the Sam Smith lovers out there and saying that I'd never heard anything he'd done until about three months ago.

I'm in my 60's, so maybe that colors my opinion a little, but I also work for a group of radio stations with five different formats, so I'm open to all kinds of music and all types of singers. I listen to Top 40, Rock, Country, Easy Listening, and Alternative Rock every day and over the past 20 years have actually met a number of high profile artists and groups at concert events. So I promise to keep an open mind until I actually hear it. (I still say that Alicia Keys could have done an incredible theme song if she'd written it herself and sung it alone!)

Yesterday, Sam Smith was on one of those PBS music shows and, as I was surfing the channels, like old guys like to do, I stumbled upon it. My wife is a Bond fan as well, so I called her in and told her "This is the singer who's doing the SPECTRE theme song." She watched and listened to him for about three or four minutes, then turned to me and said "You're kidding, right?"

Smith obviously has a good voice and sells a ton of CDs and downloads, but he doesn't so much sing as warble. Hopefully, he'll produce a great theme song... but I'm not optimistic.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm afraid they've picked the biggest artist around at the moment regardless of whether they are actually suitable. Was only listening to some Sam Smith earlier today on music TV and I'm sorry I just don't see how his voice is going to produce anything but a ballad like song that won't be much removed from Skyfall.

I'll wait to the finished product is delivered but considering everything so far about Spectre is screaming classic Bondian brilliance I don't think Writings on the Wall is going to be a song people will be humming years from now but then again Skyfall is likely to be the same.

A large slice of humble pie will be eaten if Smith does pull a classic out the bag.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Only way Smith could pull a classic out of the bag is if he had a copy of the GF soundtrack in a knapsack.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Only way Smith could pull a classic out of the bag is if he had a copy of the GF soundtrack in a knapsack.

:))

• Did Sam Smith sing this. If so, then ive finally found a song I love.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 330
    Lets listen to Sam's greatest hits in the run up to the launch of Writing's on the wall
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I hope it's not as bad as this:

=))