Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

DrGorner wrote: »
    Finished it last night and really enjoyed it. Much better than the last three
    Writers. Horowitz is obviously not only a fan,but he obviously respects
    Fleming as a writer. Hope he gets another Bond book deal.

If you've read the other continuation books, how would you compare it to the Gardner novels and Colonel Sun?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Tough question, I'd say it was as good as the best Gardner books
    ( The first six or so) and very close to Col Sun, as I do prefer Bond
    Set in the Fleming time period, rather than modernised. It's also
    Leaps ahead of the stuff R Benson put out.

I should think so! Thank god for that. :)

:)) you're not a fan either.
  • carlos_D29carlos_D29 Houston,TX
    edited September 2015 Posts: 27
    I'm 7 chapters away from finishing the novel, and I most say this is a one of kind novel.
    Anthony Horowitz does and outstanding job overall. the villain Is just magnificent
  • RC7RC7
    Three chapters in. Enjoying. Thanks for flagging up the villain @carlos_D29 - spoiler maybe?
  • carlos_D29carlos_D29 Houston,TX
    RC7 wrote: »
    Three chapters in. Enjoying. Thanks for flagging up the villain @carlos_D29 - spoiler maybe?

Sorry
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    My black edition has just arrived a little while ago. Looking forward to reading it. Also I peeked under the dust jacket and found a nice surprise on the hardback cover.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

DrG. What do you love about the Gardner novels? For me they are the worst continuation novels as they stray very far from Fleming. On the flip side I liked Devil May Care and Solo as I prefer the 'Fleming feel'. Just interested in your opinion?
    Oh, I only rate the first five or six Gardner novels. I read them as they came out
    So maybe I'm reviewing them with rose tinted glasses but do think ( only my
    Opinion) he did a great job updating Bond for the 80s, which I know is now a long
    time ago. I'm no expert on the novels, so I can only explain it as a reader of thrillers.
    DMC, I liked, very Fleming as you say, but I hated the last third of the book with Bond
    Having to escape from Russia. Which he now says isn't such a bad place ?
    Faulks forgets JB's stationing at the Embassy in Moscow, and later Vladivostok and Leningrad.
    Sadly Solo, I hated, I've read it twice and find it so boring. Absolutely nothing happens in it, Bond doesn't even throw a punch until something like page 150 and then it's only
    some annoying reporter.
    I think it all boils down to " We like what we like" and sometimes it's hard to put
    into words.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Thanks. I will agree that I thought the first Gardner novel was ok with the Laird villan. Also as pure thrillers they are ok. Q'ute, the Saab, Nina Blofeld, Leiters son all didn't work for me. However, I take your 80's update points.
    I never liked Q'ute, and Bond getting with Leiter's daughter. Didn't feel right.
    I did like the Saab, as my older Brother had one, and I got to drive it a few times.
    The closest, I'm likely to get to owning a Bond car. :)
    I got mine at B&N(USA) on Tuesday and about 1/2 thru-so far so good. A couple words threw me, as I've never heard them before and had to look them up. I have a question about setting a number of Bond novels with principally USA locations. I prefer not catering to the USA market and put Bond in more international locales.
  • FlemingFleming Cantabria
    I'm reading them their views of the novel and you are giving me a lot of envy. I love to read the novel is good and like to Bond fans.
    Oh, I only rate the first five or six Gardner novels. I read them as they came out
    So maybe I'm reviewing them with rose tinted glasses but do think ( only my
    Opinion) he did a great job updating Bond for the 80s, which I know is now a long
    time ago. I'm no expert on the novels, so I can only explain it as a reader of thrillers.
    DMC, I liked, very Fleming as you say, but I hated the last third of the book with Bond
    Having to escape from Russia. Which he now says isn't such a bad place ?
    Faulks forgets JB's stationing at the Embassy in Moscow, and later Vladivostok and Leningrad.
    Sadly Solo, I hated, I've read it twice and find it so boring. Absolutely nothing happens in it, Bond doesn't even throw a punch until something like page 150 and then it's only
    some annoying reporter.
    I think it all boils down to " We like what we like" and sometimes it's hard to put
    into words.

while we have our differences we definitly agree on DMC and SOLO (was Boyd just trying to piss us all off?) so your postive review of Trigger Mortis has me hopeful but we shall see.

I remember being disappointed with Carte Blanche but for the life of me I can't remember why. I may have to reread it again.

As for your view on Benson well we will have to agree to disagree there. but like i said either when I have cash or for my Birthday I will definitly get Trigger Mortis and read it. I am thankfull it's at least better then Solo and Devil May Care in your opinion so hopefully I will agree.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Benson us kinda like the Bond fan that got his dream job ...the PB of writers.

But I never really got into them after Facts. He was good at adding neat and clever stuff ..better than Gardner but not so much the writing itself.

Also being a fellow Texan I was proud of him. He took Bond to Bastrop TX where I lived at the time which was kinda cool but I found the book as a whole embarrassing.

Texas does have its fair share of talented authors ..and filmmakers.

I think so long as you enjoy reading about Bond whether it's Gardner, Benson etc.
    It doesn't really matter. They have all had some good ideas, perhaps poorly executed.
    Recently I reread all the Bond Books by all the authors and really enjoyed the experience. Although from here on, apart from any new Books, I'll only be reading
    Fleming again. As I want to become a bit more knowledgeable on his Books.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Benson us kinda like the Bond fan that got his dream job ...the PB of writers.

But I never really got into them after Facts. He was good at adding neat and clever stuff ..better than Gardner but not so much the writing itself.

Also being a fellow Texan I was proud of him. He took Bond to Bastrop TX where I lived at the time which was kinda cool but I found the book as a whole embarrassing.

Texas does have its fair share of talented authors ..and filmmakers.

When Facts came out I lived in Tucson and by the time I moved to Austin in 2006 I had forgotten that the middle portion took place here. It gave it a completely different flavour knowing the locations when i reread it, especially the Chuy's as I've eaten there quite a bit!

I always felt Benson merged the literary Bond with the film Bond in his novels and enjoyed them when I was younger. I'm rereading the series in order, so I wonder how my feelings will change when I finally get to his entries!
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,598
    To be fair, Benson had some good, colourful ideas but his books just read like sub par fan fiction. He was no writer back then. Maybe he's improved since. His Bond books are without eloquence. They lack the internal monologue that we get from Bond. When Bond went to a new location it was just like reading a travel book and receiving a history lesson. They feel superficial and kind of read like movie treatments.

I wonder what Benson thinks of Trigger Mortis, if he's read it.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    To be fair at the time Benson I believed was considered quite the student of all things Bond ...inexperienced as a fiction writer.

I also recall that I think the publishers pushed for a more cinematic interpretation of Bond.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I never liked Q'ute, and Bond getting with Leiter's daughter. Didn't feel right.
    I did like the Saab, as my older Brother had one, and I got to drive it a few times.

Agree with you re Q'ute (hideous pun) and Leiter's daughter - those two things alone made me stop reading Gardner, also hated the SAAB. I mean a SAAB really! Though I do remember a local dealer lending one for our local Fair Week as a promotion, although our Ad Manager was big-ing it up as from the next film, idiot! Also thought it was quite an ugly car.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Agree with you re Q'ute (hideous pun) and Leiter's daughter - those two things alone made me stop reading Gardner, also hated the SAAB. I mean a SAAB really! Though I do remember a local dealer lending one for our local Fair Week as a promotion, although our Ad Manager was big-ing it up as from the next film, idiot! Also thought it was quite an ugly car.

Count me as well. The Q'ute character was terrible, and Bond should never bed a colleague. And Leiter's daughter... that was really lazy for Gardner.

I'm not keen on
    Blofeld's daughter
    either, but I admit it adds a little mistery at the beginning of For Special Services.
    The Saab wasn't the best looking car in the world, but it was built
    like a tank. So in a way I can understand giving it to Bond, so he
    could ram other cars if needed.
    I do remember in Never send Flowers, Bond sets out in a BMW,
    yet arrives in a Saab 9000. :D ( unless I skipped a page on reading )
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    nice to hear to good reviews so far..

has there been any info on sales figures thus far?
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Just finished the book. A lot of people are giving it strong reviews and I tend to agree. Bond felt very much like the literary version of the character. Jeopardy Lane was a decent Bond girl, not my favourite however. She had some spunk, some gusto. For whatever reason she didn't make the greatest impression on me. Good but not great.

I did love the villain, Sin Jai-Seong. It was really interesting to read him tell his story, what brought to where he was at the point of the novel. I almost felt bad for the chap, but clearly his past trauma made his a maniacal villain. Bond even reflects on how personal tragedy affects people, which was an neat touch.

Very cool plot however. It was awesome
    how motor racing was tied into space rocket technology.

I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed Solo, a book I know a lot of Bond fans hated. While I agree that Trigger Mortis is the best continuation novel since 2008's Devil May Care, it only narrowly beats out Solo in my opinion.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Bounine wrote: »
    To be fair, Benson had some good, colourful ideas but his books just read like sub par fan fiction. He was no writer back then. Maybe he's improved since. His Bond books are without eloquence. They lack the internal monologue that we get from Bond. When Bond went to a new location it was just like reading a travel book and receiving a history lesson. They feel superficial and kind of read like movie treatments.

I wonder what Benson thinks of Trigger Mortis, if he's read it.

I've only read one or two of the Bensons. It was difficult for me to really get into them, basically for the reason I highlighted in bold in your post. They simply weren't written with much style. There was no identity to them. It was very flat overall.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I bought (and started) this today. I bought the Waterstones exclusive with the 'Murder On Wheels' treatment at the end of the book. I have nothing to report yet, as I only read the prologue and 1st chapter to get started.

And for what it's worth, I liked the Gardner books (most of them) and the Benson books. I didn't like the 3 post Benson books.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,598
    I never liked Q'ute or Felix's daughter as characters - bad idea. Was never crazy about the Saab either but aside for these three things, I did enjoy the Gardner books.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2015 Posts: 28,694
    I'm happy that the book has been so well received. I know there are a lot of Fleming purists on this forum and it's about time they actually got a book that was a fitting homage to what Fleming was able to bring to life and a novel that is worthy enough to fit into the literary timeline.
  • I liked reading Benson when I was younger (15 or so), but haven't read them since. I'll soon be reading the entire series in order so I'd like to see what I think of it now.

I really did enjoy Solo & Carte Blanche. Nothing ground breaking, but I honestly had fun reading them. Devil May Care was the only continuation novel I thought was honest to god terrible. Faulks was damned terrible.

I'm still waiting on Waterstones to ship out my copy of Trigger Mortis. Ordered it over a month ago - still waiting.