Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

• Birdleson wrote: »
    I just came across a minor error on page 107 of the U.S. edition. Bond refers to Jean Seberg as a French actress. Seberg is an American actress that appeared in several European productions (most notably the French film BREATHLESS).
    Is this an error on Horowitz's part, or is he just telling us that Bond is ill-informed? I would think the former.

It's true that not everything is perfect and Ms.Seberg was American albeit the error is perhaps understandable as she was often heavily associated with French movies particularly in the UK.
    A little less forgivable is the fact that Horowitz has Bond driving down a British Motorway when the first section of the first British Motorway, the M1, didn't open until 1959 and then it was in the north of England not the South !
    That said, these are small errors and don't detract from the overall period feel of the novel.
    They do, for me however, demonstrate an interesting point insomuch as I do think that authors tend to make more factual errors when dealing with the near history. Horowitz is 60 and I think there is a tendency to misremember events that took place in your life time and are perhaps more rigorous when writing about events before your time.
    Another TM news is that my good friend Villieurs53 has awarded the novel his cherished four star review and asked me to post it in these column inches.
    I respectfully had to decline because, as per normal, his review is peppered with politically incorrect statements and I didn't want to risk loosing my licence. That said, I'm sure that readers would want to know that such a renowned Bondologist rates this novel so highly!

• Birdleson wrote: »
    @Mrcoggins is my hero!

He also does a nice line in brooms!

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Another TM news is that my good friend Villieurs53 has awarded the novel his cherished four star review and asked me to post it in these column inches.
    I respectfully had to decline because, as per normal, his review is peppered with politically incorrect statements and I didn't want to risk loosing my licence. That said, I'm sure that readers would want to know that such a renowned Bondologist rates this novel so highly!

:))

I wouldn't expect you or Villiers to make the lose/loose mistake ;)
  • Sark wrote: »

I wouldn't expect you or Villiers to make the lose/loose mistake ;)

Oh no! I hate it when this sort of thing happens and have been kicking myself around the block.
    Thanks for pointing it out. I've only just got on top of where,were and wear.
    Thankfully Villiers53 (he prefers his full title) would never make this type of error.
    I apologise and it won't happen again.

I thought it was great, and far outclasses other continuation novels I've read(although I haven't read them all). I felt the Fleming material blended very seamlessly with Horowitz' own.

Have you read 'Colonel Sun' ?
    In TM's not so humble opinion, it's the only adult Bond continuation that is in the same league.
    The first four or five Gardners are worth while but something was lost with the '80's reboot.
    As for Benson and the rest - mon Dieu!
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I have never read Colonel Sun, but I plan to remedy this on a flight to the Philippines tonight. I've read several others. The most dire was the Gardner (?) one where an ice cream baron living in Texas wants to attack NORAD. It had a "twist" that was obvious a mile away. And Bond shagging
    Leiter's daughter
    was both distasteful and unbelievable.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree @TriggerMortis. I'd rate TM as good as Col Sun, I'll have to
    read Col Sun again ( just to make sure), and the first five or six Gardner's
    Are good. Benson's are very, very bad. I found Solo boring, the other two
    I found to be entertaining but, just lacking something.
    TM was the first I've read in a long time which I really enjoyed and thought
    I was reading about Fleming's Bond and not someone else's interpretation
    or reinvention of him.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I agree @TriggerMortis. I'd rate TM as good as Col Sun, I'll have to
    read Col Sun again ( just to make sure), and the first five or six Gardner's
    Are good. Benson's are very, very bad. I found Solo boring, the other two
    I found to be entertaining but, just lacking something.
    TM was the first I've read in a long time which I really enjoyed and thought
    I was reading about Fleming's Bond and not someone else's interpretation
    or reinvention of him.

I agree. It really feels like Fleming. He's done a very good job.

I have never read Colonel Sun, but I plan to remedy this on a flight to the Philippines tonight. I've read several others. The most dire was the Gardner (?) one where an ice cream baron living in Texas wants to attack NORAD. It had a "twist" that was obvious a mile away. And Bond shagging
    Leiter's daughter

Have a great flight. I'd love to know what you think about CS. I envy you not having read it.
    If I compare the two as being very equal albeit, I did find CS a little more adult in terms of style and content.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just came across a minor error on page 107 of the U.S. edition. Bond refers to Jean Seberg as a French actress. Seberg is an American actress that appeared in several European productions (most notably the French film BREATHLESS).
    Is this an error on Horowitz's part, or is he just telling us that Bond is ill-informed? I would think the former.

Is the American version a little different from the British version?

Would anyone get in trouble if they were to take a photo of the Fleming treatment and post it on these threads?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2015 Posts: 17,808
    Sark wrote: »
    Leiter's daughter

Have a great flight. I'd love to know what you think about CS. I envy you not having read it.
    If I compare the two as being very equal albeit, I did find CS a little more adult in terms of style and content.

That was John Gardner's For Special Services (1982). It has a James Bond Jnr feel to it, yes. That said, it's widely considered to be one of his best Bond novels so if you didn't like it...
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Leiter's daughter

That was John Gardner's For Special Services (1982). It has a James Bond Jnr feel to it, yes. That said, it's widely considered to be one of his best Bond novels so if you didn't like it...

I gave up reading Gardner then. Just blood awful. He seemed to be trying to please the literary fans and the films fans and failing miserably. Although actually read the novelisation of Licence To Kill, and…oh dear things hadn't improved.
  • I've only read one Gardner. It wasn't for me. I actually preferred the Benson ones, I think I read three, with High Time to Kill being the best. His film tie-ins though, were pretty bad, (though to be fair, I think he said he had to rush them to meet a deadline). He knew his Bond, that's for sure.
    I'm looking forward to TM, I've just got to finish my current novel, then I'm into it. I've read the first few chapters and it's very promising.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    Leiter's daughter

I gave up reading Gardner then. Just blood awful. He seemed to be trying to please the literary fans and the films fans and failing miserably. Although actually read the novelisation of Licence To Kill, and…oh dear things hadn't improved.

Although I'm not as damning about Gardner's Bond as Lancaster007, I'd be the first to admit that his work was very uneven and certainly his novelisations of the movies were complete hoopla.

That said, I maintain my position that the first five are worth while but for aficionados that have never touched his work. The two that are essential reading are "Licence Renewed" & "Role Of Honour". The first because it is solid and is a fascinating '80s re-boot. The latter because it is fare and away his best.

Back to TM, one thing Anthony should do when he does his next one (I hope the contract is already signed) is to make it a little more "adult". I mention this because I think that he is always very aware of the debt he owes his Alex Ryder readers and perhaps a little too nervous about straying into gratuitous terrain. You can afford to let go a little Anthony and amp it up a bit.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I've only read one Gardner. It wasn't for me. I actually preferred the Benson ones, I think I read three, with High Time to Kill being the best. His film tie-ins though, were pretty bad, (though to be fair, I think he said he had to rush them to meet a deadline). He knew his Bond, that's for sure.
    I'm looking forward to TM, I've just got to finish my current novel, then I'm into it. I've read the first few chapters and it's very promising.

i didn't mind his film tie-in for TWINE... i think i actually liked his novel better than the actual film. lol.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2015 Posts: 17,808
    HASEROT wrote: »
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I've only read one Gardner. It wasn't for me. I actually preferred the Benson ones, I think I read three, with High Time to Kill being the best. His film tie-ins though, were pretty bad, (though to be fair, I think he said he had to rush them to meet a deadline). He knew his Bond, that's for sure.

i didn't mind his film tie-in for TWINE... i think i actually liked his novel better than the actual film. lol.

To be fair Raymond Benson also added in some interesting extra background detail (not to be found in the film script) for main villain Elliot Carver in the Tomorrow Never Dies novelisation as well...
    The book is now in french bookstores, under the title "Déclic Mortel" :

declic-mortel-683137-250-400.jpg

declic-mortel-675443-250-400.jpg
    The first continuation novel since Colonel Sun that seems as if it could have been written by Fleming. I feel it was a smart idea to drop this new novel in the middle of the Bond stories. As has been mentioned previously, Bond doesn't yet have the baggage of SPECTRE and Tracy. By recalling events from MR, DN, and GF, Horowitz manages to make all of this a little more familiar. An obvious device, no doubt, but effective.

At points this novel seems a bit thin and breezy, whereas other times it displays a fair amount of detail. It has all the markings of an author who is both a fan of Fleming's novels and the films. There are more than a few spots where it feels we've seen some of this in a film. Not a big fan of coincidence and perfect timing, which I think there is too much of. Too many times where Bond is just too damn lucky. For me that more than strains credibility.

SPOILER ALERT!
    Much has been of Pussy's conversion after a night with Bond. Horowitz quickly sets the record straight. But I wonder if that's the only reason she's really in this story. I don't buy the pissed off GF henchmen out for revenge. And the other thing that always strikes me as weak is the villain not killing Bond when he has the chance. Sin kicking Bond instead of shooting him is silly. Sin shouldn't have had a gun in that final scene. Haven't we seen electrocuting the Korean before?

This is not a perfect novel, but a far sight better than we've seen in a long time. I hope Horowitz is not a one and done author. After the previous three authors, I did not
    want to read another Bond novel from them. Horowitz, I look forward to.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Gerard wrote: »

declic-mortel-683137-250-400.jpg

declic-mortel-675443-250-400.jpg

Hmm, the background artwork for the French version is identical to what we received in Canada, only that here the colour scheme is turquoise instead of bronze (gold?).
  • eddychaput wrote: »

I have to confess, the title sounds better in French but doesn't everything?

Perhaps I should change my handle?
    @TriggerMortis

Presuming AH writes another, you said that you hope he makes the next one more adult in nature. I take it, it was too tame in terms of violence and sex? Or just the latter?
  • Just to throw my two cents in (sorry, I'm a Yank), I'm about halfway thru and I've got to say that this reads much more like classic Fleming than any of the other continuation novels, even Col Sun. Not to say it's better than Col Sun, which is an awesome novel by the way, but it does feel more like Fleming. And it's so wonderfully nostalgic to read a Bond novel where the writer includes so much extraneous smoking and un-ironic conversation about outdated technology. I smiled when he described a car as a four door saloon. When was the last time you heard that expression?
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Currently reading this. Only 3 chapters into it. Bond's mission is to stop some nasty Russian from killing a top Brit driver. Meanwhile two men appear to be following Pussy Galore in London town...

Am enjoying this very much. It has a nice flow about it.

I wouldn't mind a one-off Bond film set back in the 1960s or even mid 50s! Sort of Trigger Mortis in vibe. I reckon it would do well at the box office.
    Hoping to pick this up soon! Reviews here are very encouraging.
    I'm two books behind now. Still haven't read Cole's Shoot To Thrill either.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 364
    I have a question for the literary Bond fans, and by asking it I'm not insinuating anything or necessarily expecting/hoping for one answer more than another.

Essentially, how important is it that a continuation novel 'read like Fleming'?.

Many writers, directors, score composers and set designers have taken on the mantle of creating the Bond films and while they share similar DNA, they don't exactly always look or sound alike. Yet, a recurring argument I keep hearing and reading when the literary 007 is discussed is that it must read like Fleming. If a book is well received, as is evidently the case with TM, a popular comment is that it 'reads like Fleming.' When a book is not well received, I hear and read that it's not enough like Fleming.

So, how much does that barometer matter to you, fellow MI6 forum members?
    eddychaput wrote: »

It's fine. It's basically the French term for the original English-language title. It isn't as if they went out of their way to create a cool new title in French.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Invoking Fleming is synonymous to a great read when it comes to Bond.
    I very much like most of the Bond continuation novels, especially the Gardners, but I don't think anything post Fleming reads like Fleming.
    TM might be the closest yet, but I haven't read it.
    Closest I've found is The Pearson book, thus it's my favourite.
    Only continuation that I think is real stinker is Deaver's Carte Blanche as Fleming's Bond is barely recognizable.
    The rest IMO are at least readable Bond adventures.
  • KronsteenKronsteen Stockholm
    I seem to be the only one not caring for Trigger Mortis that much. I’m usually at the other end, liking things that others don’t, it's quite a new situation for me. I’ll try to explain my feelings as much as I can.

The problems start right away for me with the prologue, which isn’t that interesting and a bit too long, and which turns out to be rather unnecessary to the story. I could’ve done without it.

Then the story picks up with Bond in London with Pussy Galore. I usually don’t like it when the continuation authors picks up Fleming characters that were clearly intented for that isolated story. Benson fell into the same trap with René Mathis and Marc-Ange Draco in Never Dream of Dying and Faulks with Mathis in Devil May Care. Felix Leiter is of course fine, as he’s a recurring character in Flemings novels as well (he would’ve suited this story, wouldn’t he?).
    The biggest fault isn't the use of Pussy though, but her characterization. I don’t recognize her. In Goldfinger she’s a tough gangster leader and I feel nothing of that here. Just an appendage to Bonds London life. And when she’s later kidnapped, taken to some Stonehenge-esque site (I can’t find the word for it...) and painted gold, Horowtiz has lost me. It’s too much of a pastische, almost parody, for me.

The next problem, which is much harder for me to accept, the story. It moves much too fast. As reader I want to spend more time at the training race track, I want to spend more time in Nürburg and the Nürburg ring, more time in the german castle, at the rocket base in the U.S. and at Jason Sins hideout outside of New York.... Trigger Morits suffers from the same problem as Diamonds Are Forever actually. The novel never seem to settle in and the writer never have the time to introduce locations and atmospheres before having to move the story along. Because of it Trigger Mortis feels fragmented and episodic to me.

Sadly I don’t care much for the plot either. The two major plot pieces – the Nürburg race and the rocket launch/destruction of Manhattan – doesn’t seem to fit together. Horowitz hasn’t connected the two pieces well enough for my taste.
    I would have been more than satisfied with a simplistic spy story involving Bond and SMERSH and the Nürburg race. I think it would’ve been possible to stretch it into a whole 200 pages novel.
    Alternatively just let the story pick up in New York after the events in Goldfinger (then the Fleming Murder on Wheels-story couldn’t have been used of course). Was Goldfingers mission to collect money and fund Jason Sins operation? And was that the reason why Goldfinger used so many Koreans? There are some interesting possibilities that Horowitz could’ve used, I wouldn’t have mind those!

It’s fine to not have an amazing plot as the basis of your novel, many of the previous authors have failed in that regard (Fleming as well), but you can write a succesful and intruiging story nonetheless, as long as there are enough elements that entertain. Fleming, and Gardner to some extent as well (I admit it, I am a big fan of his), could save their books with fantastic dialogue, thrilling action or amusing characters. Horowtiz doesn’t really manage that.
    But just as Fleming managed to save Diamonds Are Forever with a real nail-biter of a climax I truly hoped Horowtiz would do that as well, but I never get invested. It never gets exciting enough for me, which of course is a result of not being intruiged by the story earlier. It’s difficult to just switch the interest on suddenly, especially when I think the villain could’ve executed his plan better. Why not just fly over New York with a plane and drop the fake rocket full of C4? Wouldn’t that have worked, instead of going by train, using fake witnesses and so on?

Now it sounds like I’m really tearing this book apart, there are some elements I enjoy. Jason Sin is a nice villain, I especially like his backstory, and the chapter when he tells it to Bond over dinner I love. Classic Bond! Jeopardy Lane is also an interesting girl, tough and smart in a believable way without being forced into the story. The two of them are fun to read about for the moment, but I don’t think I would call them memorable. Time will tell.

To sum it up, I do feel Horowtiz managed to instill the novel with a feel reminiscent of Fleming, both when it comes to descriptions, dialogue and characters, but the story is really limping and doesn’t have a natural development, and that over-shadows the book for me.

I actually find Trigger Mortis a bit weaker than Solo, I guess I'm alone about that as well?
  • eddychaput wrote: »
    eddychaput wrote: »

It's fine. It's basically the French term for the original English-language title. It isn't as if they went out of their way to create a cool new title in French.

I know, I speak French but I still think it sounds cool!