Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

• Good news, it's straight into the UK Top Ten at No.7!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i've been trying to find chart or sales figures for the book here in the US, but i don't think it's charted here at all.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i've been trying to find chart or sales figures for the book here in the US, but i don't think it's charted here at all.

Has it been released in the United States yet?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Dragonpol wrote: »

yep, on the 8th.

yep, on the 8th.

Oh, I see. Thanks @haserot!
  • So I pre-ordered one of the Waterstones special edition copies (the one with the black cover) on August 12th. When the book was released I never got an email saying that mine was shipped so I sent them an email to ask them if there was something wrong with the order. I never received anything, and then two days ago I got an email saying that my order had been cancelled due to there being a problem processing my payment. They said that they'd tried to contact me to resolve the issue, but were not able to reach me so my order had to be cancelled.

I sent them an email yesterday (my 2nd email to the customer service dept) to see what I could do to resolve the issue as I had never received any contact from them asking to update my payment info. Today I get a note from their customer service department saying that they're sorry that they're just now responding, that there was a glitch in their system that caused my payment issue, and that they're now all out of the special editions of Trigger Mortis. This place has unbelievably awful customer service.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 17,727
    Damn! That means I've missed the special black edition too then!
  • bondboy007 wrote: »
    So I pre-ordered one of the Waterstones special edition copies (the one with the black cover) on August 12th. When the book was released I never got an email saying that mine was shipped so I sent them an email to ask them if there was something wrong with the order. I never received anything, and then two days ago I got an email saying that my order had been cancelled due to there being a problem processing my payment. They said that they'd tried to contact me to resolve the issue, but were not able to reach me so my order had to be cancelled.

I sent them an email yesterday (my 2nd email to the customer service dept) to see what I could do to resolve the issue as I had never received any contact from them asking to update my payment info. Today I get a note from their customer service department saying that they're sorry that they're just now responding, that there was a glitch in their system that caused my payment issue, and that they're now all out of the special editions of Trigger Mortis. This place has unbelievably awful customer service.

What a sorry mess.
    They sound like the gang that can't shoot straight and they are probably sat there wondering why the evil Amazon just eat their lunch!
    I have to say, I had a complete debacle when I tried to order their special edition of James Ellroy's 'Perfidia' on line. I eventually got one from a store.
    Sometimes you can't help people to help themselves.

• Yeah, I'm just going to order one of the regular editions off of Amazon now. I'm in the USA or otherwise I would've tried to go pick up a copy in person. Pretty irritating, really would've liked to have the limited edition cover.
  • I've just bought the book and am looking forward to reading it. I've been out the loop regarding news of the book, and I'd have liked a copy of the special edition, (not so much for the cover, but the extra info on the Fleming bits). I'll phone up Waterstones tomorrow but I don't hold out much hope.
    I was going to order the Waterstones special edition ages ago before the book had come out but then I decided that it wasn't worth the money. The postage cost to have it sent to China where this Western expat is currently living was too high.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,594
    Good news, it's straight into the UK Top Ten at No.7!

Wow, excellent news and at no. 007! :)

I still don't want to get my hopes up. After all this, what if IFP just decide to go with another author again?

Did any of the other celebrity written books make it into the top ten? I suppose Devil May Care may have due to the heavy promotion at the time and because it was the first adult Bond book we'd had in quite a while.

• Waterstones Wolverhampton have copies of the black cover special edition in stock. I got mine today, well pleased.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    Bounine wrote: »
    Did any of the other celebrity written books make it into the top ten? I suppose Devil May Care may have due to the heavy promotion at the time and because it was the first adult Bond book we'd had in quite a while.

this is as much as i could find on Deaver's Carte Blanche..

in combined sales of hardback and paperback, it was listed at #9 on the New York Times bestseller list (about 2-3 weeks after it's release though) - i don't know what it debuted at.. it very well may have debuted at that spot..

for Devil May Care..

according to wikipedia.. "In the UK, Devil May Care went to the top of the best-seller lists by the end of the first week's sales, having sold 44,093 copies in four days; this made it the fastest-selling fiction book after the Harry Potter titles... Waterstones reported selling 19,000 in the first four days of sales."

not sure how well DMC did over here in the states though, can't find any info on it..
  • shamanimal wrote: »
    Waterstones Wolverhampton have copies of the black cover special edition in stock. I got mine today, well pleased.

Wow. Their online website doesn't show any left and now that I've finally gotten someone from Customer Service to respond they're telling me that they're 100% out of all of the limited edition Trigger Mortis. Incredibly frustrating dealing with them.

• There's none on the web site, but the shop has some. Have you tried phoning the Wolverhampton shop direct? Perhaps they could post you one out?
    I wonder if Waterstones in Northern Ireland have any copies of the black special edition left? My local town's Waterstones sadly did not - the sales assistant said only Waterstones Piccadilly and waterstones.com had copies of that one. In fact my local Waterstones only had the paperback edition of Trigger Mortis that I had already got in Easons. I got the white hardback of Trigger Mortis in Tesco instead!
  • Great news, 'TM' is straight in at No.3 in the UK 'Sunday Times' best seller list.
    Hopefully this heralds well for Horowitz being signed up for a multi book deal.
    Great news, 'TM' is straight in at No.3 in the UK 'Sunday Times' best seller list.

Indeed. Here's hoping!
    Still waiting for my copy to arrive, but I did finish me re-read of Goldfinger, so I guess I'll bide the time going over For Your Eyes Only again.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I need that Waterstones' Special Edition. I mean, my goal is to get any ad all Fleming Bond and if that is the only version that includes his original treatment then I've waste my money on the copy that I have. Does anyone actually have it yet (the SE?).

Sadly not yet and it is elusive.
    They're nearly beyond buying but damn I want one! I'm a sucker for new Fleming material!
    I hope that we can eventually get the other four unused television treatments, as well, someday.

Me too, and perhaps there will be four novels to go along with them.

I hope that we can eventually get the other four unused television treatments, as well, someday.

Me too, and perhaps there will be four novels to go along with them.

Or, in a perfect world, a high quality television treatment of all five.

That too would be good!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I need that Waterstones' Special Edition. I mean, my goal is to get any and all Fleming Bond and if that is the only version that includes his original treatment then I've waste my money on the copy that I have. Does anyone actually have it yet (the SE?).

I bought mine from Waterstones, they were selling them £4 off. I haven't read "Murder On Wheels" yet, i'll have a look when i've finished Trigger Mortis. I have just passed the bit where:
    Bond and Jeopardy Jump from the castle tower.

So far, i'm enjoying it more than the last 3. No idea where i'd put it overall, yet.
  • Don't worry. Even if you had managed to order the Waterstones limited edition copy well ahead of the release date they might have just screwed up your order as well.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Great news, 'TM' is straight in at No.3 in the UK 'Sunday Times' best seller list.

Yeah. A little bit of continuity as far as style is concerned would be nice, not to mention that Trigger Mortis was pretty good in my opinion.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I thought it was great, and far outclasses other continuation novels I've read(although I haven't read them all). I felt the Fleming material blended very seamlessly with Horowitz' own.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I have Three copies reserved at my local waterstones if I can help let me know how.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Bond is no film geek like WE are...