Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

disgreed Dalton missed it by miles, just a glorified tv actor.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Rather surprisingly I was able to purchase a paperback copy of Trigger Mortis today in Easons. It was discounted by £2. Looking forward to reading it. :)
    Ditum wrote:
    Even weirder, this Bond has qualms about killing – not the after-the-fact ruefulness on show at the beginning of Goldfinger, but a genuine respect for human life that intercedes in acts of violence.

Bond also showed qualms about killing in From Russia With Love, For Your Eyes Only, "The Living Daylights," etc. Bond is happy to kill those who try to kill him, but otherwise he shows a normal respect for human life.
    It's aggravating that when a major media outlet runs a piece related to Fleming, they tend to hire a blowhard who doesn't know how to write without relying on sweeping and usually wrong-headed generalizations. And so the well is continually poisoned...

Moving on to TriggerMortis's points regarding the relations between Fleming's Bond and movie Bond--I've often thought that if you threw all the movie Bonds into a blender, you'd get something close to Fleming's Bond. Granted, you'd have to remove a few bits before throwing them in--Roger Moore would need some pruning, though he encapsulates Book Bond's charming side perfectly; and Brosnan, since he mostly pastiched Connery and Moore, might be redundant to the mix--but it helps to see each film version as accentuating (and often over-accentuating) different facets of the original through their screen personas.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    @Revelator well said Sir .
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,598
    I almost hate Bronsan as Bond. I don't think he acts very well in the part. Plus, his performance is exaggerated. He's melodramatic. He was alright in Goldeneye, but after this film he got progressively worse. I very much like Dalton as Bond but he never had the charm of Connery and Moore. I think if you were to combine Connery and Dalton you'd get something close to Fleming's Bond. Dalton had an air of melancholy to him which as we know is something the literary Bond experiences. Connery never seemed melancholic to me. Neither of them had qualms about killing though. Well, maybe at the beginning of TLD when Bond had to kill the KGB sniper. He didn't seem particularly happy about it. I'm referring to before he even found out that the sniper was a woman.

Found this on the Book Bond website (I don't use twitter) :

https://twitter.com/sophpainter
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    Rather surprisingly I was able to purchase a paperback copy of Trigger Mortis today in Easons. It was discounted by £2. Looking forward to reading it. :)

Lucky you!
    With the exception of the even luckier Bondologists who received pr-release editions some weeks ago, you have stolen a march on us.
    I assume it's the large format airport paperback edition that Easons have broken the embargo on?
    I'll be getting mine on Monday night and will doubtless get through the first few chapters
    on the train home. I did the same thing with SOLO and felt quite depressed by the time I disembarked. Hopefully, this time I'll be elated!
    edited September 2015 Posts: 17,787
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Lucky you!
    With the exception of the even luckier Bondologists who received pr-release editions some weeks ago, you have stolen a march on us.
    I assume it's the large format airport paperback edition that Easons have broken the embargo on?
    I'll be getting mine on Monday night and will doubtless get through the first few chapters
    on the train home. I did the same thing with SOLO and felt quite depressed by the time I disembarked. Hopefully, this time I'll be elated!

I think these days they tend to publish the hardbacks and paperbacks together for that extra sales push. They certainly did this with the Raymond Benson Bonds which towards the end had quite small print runs and little in the way of publicity. I recall getting a paperback of Solo (in Waterstones) soon after I got the hardback in Tesco.

Going by the ISBN number on the back (ISBN 978 1 4091 5953 7) that tallies with the "Export Trade Paperback". An E-book and Hardback edition are also mentioned. I bought the Trigger Mortis paperback for an offer price of £11.99 but its actual price is £13.99 on the back cover. It must be an advance "export" paperback edition.
  • Bounine wrote: »

Found this on the Book Bond website (I don't use twitter) :

https://twitter.com/sophpainter

The window display looks fabulous. Roll on Monday!

• OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I've just finished re-reading Fleming's You Only Live Twice and I was reminded of what a pig Bond is in the novels. He's sexist, racist and homophobic. And you know what? In a novel, this is fine.

In a novel, you can make your main character as unlikable as possible because a 'hero' with many unlikable traits makes for a far more interesting character. There are more layers to peel away.

The difference between the Bond of the novels and the movies is, as always, because of money.

James Bond novels (of course) cost far less to produce than a movie, so there is less of a gamble for the publisher and tbh the James Bond name alone is enough to shift enough copies to turn a profit, regardless of quality.

But as Bond movies are terribly expensive to produce you have to soften the edges so as not to offend the audience and risk losing paying punters through word of mouth. I don't think they'd want to make the figurehead of their franchise (along with all the merchandising and product placement) so potentially controversial. Can you imagine if SPECTRE featured a scene like this, where Bond complains about the lack of rooms in a Japanese whore-house?

twice.png

I find it kinda hilarious and definitely 'of the time.' But his prejudices and vices also make him a lot more interesting than the bland 'goody' that he sometimes is in the films.

Don't get me wrong: I am on this forum because I love the cinematic Bond and grew up watching the movies. I read and fell in love with the novels much later. I think that the reason the older Bond movies seem closer to the novels' tone is that pop culture in general was a lot more sexist and generally insensitive back then.

But unless the producers and fans of the Bond movies would be willing to dial the budget right back - removing the action sequences, cars, glamour etc, we are not doing to get Fleming's Bond on the big screen any time soon.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Just picked up a copy. :D can't wait to start reading. :))
    Can you imagine if SPECTRE featured a scene like this, where Bond complains about the lack of rooms in a Japanese whore-house?

Take away the last two lines and the scene would be acceptable enough as an example of cross-cultural teasing--Bond is ragging on Tiger for being pretentious about an old whorehouse. But even then the scene wouldn't make it into Spectre, mostly because the dialogue is too long. Having a character speak an entire paragraph in an action film would take time away from the explosions.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Just picked up a copy. :D can't wait to start reading. :))

At Easons by any chance? :D
    :)) They must be the only shop with
    early supplies.
    :)) They must be the only shop with
    early supplies.

Indeed. I came across it quite by accident. :)
    Reviews now trickling in. Here's the Evening Standard:
    http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/books/trigger-mortis-by-anthony-horowitz-and-ian-fleming-review-a2926741.html
    The reviewer, Nicholas Lezard, is a Fleming fan and wrote an introduction to the Blofeld Trilogy.

The New York Times also weighs in:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/books/review/trigger-mortis-a-james-bond-novel-by-anthony-horowitz.html

And the New Zealand Herald:
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11508036
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    So although “Trigger Mortis” begins two weeks after the end of “Goldfinger,” its protagonist isn’t — could never be — the same Bond. The new Bond is friends with a gay man, chivalrously sleeps on the couch when a woman doesn’t want to have sex with him and even, at one point, drinks a bottle of water at lunch. What’s more, where before there were only Bond “girls,” now we find strong, independent Bond “women.” One of them shows little interest in him and goes off with a woman instead; another, Jeopardy Lane, is a bona fide action hero in her own right. - NEW YORK TIMES

this is why if we are going to get new Bond novels... please for the love of god set them in today's world... trying to retrofit modern acceptabilities to the past - especially when it's being unceremoniously plopped into Fleming's timeline just doesn't sit right to me... if you are going to make a PC Bond, then make him a man in today's world - not the 50s..
    Horowitz also stays true to the Bond of Fleming’s books rather than the Bond of the movies. His hero is human, self-doubting, weak.. - NEW YORK TIMES

wait... didn't he (Horowitz) just go on about how Bond shouldn't be self-doubting or weak??
    Why couldn't the odd chick in the 50's not be interested in sleeping with Bond? Surely not all of them just fell at a good looking man's feet upon his request? Were there not some strong, independent women in the 50's? Forgive me if I'm way off the mark. I'm 38.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Bounine wrote: »
    Why couldn't the odd chick in the 50's not be interested in sleeping with Bond? Surely not all of them just fell at a good looking man's feet upon his request? Were there not some strong, independent women in the 50's? Forgive me if I'm dead wrong. I'm 38.

thats not the point i was getting at... it would actually be a nice change of pace if Bond got turned down by some women - instead of being able to bed any woman he finds.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    it would actually be a nice change of pace if Bond got turned down by some women - instead of being able to bed any woman he finds.

That already happened with Gala Brand and Tilly Masterton.
    Revelator wrote: »
    it would actually be a nice change of pace if Bond got turned down by some women - instead of being able to bed any woman he finds.

That already happened with Gala Brand and Tilly Masterton.

forget about Tilly.. at least from the film of GF

in all fairness, i haven't read much Fleming.. i've made it through CR and LALD and only part of MR - so i didn't know that about Gala..
  • HASEROT wrote: »

in all fairness, i haven't read much Fleming.. i've made it through CR and LALD and only part of MR - so i didn't know that about Gala..

There in lies the problem!

It's early days, so I'm full of enthusiasm but so far I'm really liking it.
    For those who have read John Pearsons's wonderful biography of 007, you will know that this is not the first time we've read about a Bond girl, following the events of the novel, going to live with Bond for a while. Pearson did it with Tiffany Case...and she left him. This book was written in the early 70's.
    Fleming also mentions Tiffany living with Bond.
    Oh yes, at the beginning of FRWL, but she has already left by the time the book starts. Had completely forgotten. Yes, Pearson expanded on it.

I was wondering if they would have posters in the subways. I remember seeing them for Devil May Care when I was living in London at the time. Did they have them for Carte Blanche and Solo? "Pussy Galore is back". Love it! :

http://www.thebookbond.com/

They need to have this advertisement outside a recently renovated brothel.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    There are people who do not like what the Craig era has brought us recently, why can they not say it without some young ones throwing a totally irrational tantrum. Think SF & QoB are brilliant does not make it so.

i don't think most of us who like SF throw irrational tantrums when someone criticizes it.. but what i don't understand is whenever someone criticizes a film on these boards - there is a contingent that believe we have to sit back and take it, without voicing an opinion back... it's like saying "liking the film is good enough, how dare you criticize someone for not liking it - so if they don't like it, just sit down, shut up, and take it." .... (and yes, i am well aware that this sort of "snobbery" if i can call it that, goes both ways).. but it seems anymore, more credibility is given to the person who expresses their open dislike for something (or for some film)......

"valid" criticisms are only in the eye of the beholder - something that may be awesome to someone else, might be totally stupid to another.. neither is right or wrong, and praise or criticisms (unless talking about the technical aspects in which the film was shot and edited) are merely nothing but opinions, and hold no real weight or value except to that specific individual, or to those who need the validity from elsewhere to back up their own opinions..

@SaintMark .... how do you feel about Goldfinger as a film?

Especially for you watched on bluray again, oh no just because Sean Connery is bloody impressive as 007 and he is for me the embodiment of the Fleming novels. The movie has a better ending than the book and Bond in it is less of an actionhero more of a catalyst that makes things happen. Even if he is directly responsible for wiping out the Masterson girls. It is a James Bond movie that makes Daniel Craigs look like blunt gorrila smashing around. Bond has never been a genius, he enjoyed the better things in live but is a survivor and a shrewd person. In Goldfinger we see 007 actually be afraid and desperate in what I consider one of the great scenes in the whole series. In this movie you see a lot of a 007 that is actually not in control and see he is not comfortable in that role. I find GF having better acting than anything that Craig does in SF. Probably SF has parts that are spectacular but they make no sense in the whole story that is not about Bond being sensitive but Bond being bad at his job.

but see, similarly to how you see Bond as being inept and bad at his job in SF, so do i see it GF... he gets Jill killed.. not more than a little while later he gets Telly killed - mind you, not by bad luck - simply because he just either wasn't minding what he was doing (like pissing off a card shark and stealing his woman - you don't think he'd want some kind of revenge?).. and just foolishness.. "hey a bunch of guys are shooting at us, just go run through the woods and get yourself killed." - did he really have a plan or way out besides just "run!" - perhaps it was his way of just getting rid of the girl so he wouldn't have to worry about her??... then his brilliant escape strategy - of driving around the villain's factory... could've easily pulled a U turn and drove out - the windows on his car are bullet proof, plus it's gadget laden, what is going to stop him?? Woops, forgot, Oddjob may throw his hat again lol.... so instead of simply leaving, Bond just drives around a factory, spazes and then rams his car into a wall lol..... He finds out Goldfinger's plot, and entrusts that Felix and CIA Agent #2 will find the note hidden in Solo's pocket? - oh wait, Solo gets killed, nevermind about all that.. plot foiled again.... the only bit of credit i give Bond in this movie, is being able to talk his way out of being almost sliced in half by a laser and being able to turn Pussy Galore with the power of his sex - because if that last one had failed, then thousands of people would've died - including Bond himself by going kaboom with Fort Knox...

he literally does nothing the entire film except screw 2 women and watch stuff happen lol.

:) (all in good fun mind you... i too like GF.. but it has it's flaws)

One of the reasons why I find the novel GF in many ways superior to the movie, in spite of the absurdity of Goldfinger's plan. Bond is more active in the novel.

That said, I don't mind a Bond that makes mistakes. He can mess it up sometimes. In the movie, he is however a bit too passive.
    For me, Pussy never went out of fashion. ;) :D

6428900779_9bee2b954a_zpsk1qb1hmi.jpg

• DrGorner wrote: »

Couldn't agree more old chap. I remain her most ardent admirer!

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Bounine wrote: »
    Oh yes, at the beginning of FRWL, but she has already left by the time the book starts. Had completely forgotten. Yes, Pearson expanded on it.

I was wondering if they would have posters in the subways. I remember seeing them for Devil May Care when I was living in London at the time. Did they have them for Carte Blanche and Solo? "Pussy Galore is back". Love it! :

http://www.thebookbond.com/

They need to have this advertisement outside a recently renovated brothel.
    There were for Solo, I remember seeing pictures online.