The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2015 Posts: 40,486
    I think the reason something like 'Tomorrowland' failed is because people scream for original material without actually supporting it, and some studios sink a lot of money into something that can easily be set up for failure, much like 'Jupiter Ascending.' It's why yet another 'Jurassic' sequel is now the third highest grossing movie of all time, and something as beautiful looking as 'Tomorrowland' bombed miserably.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Something about Tomorrowland seemed off to me in the trailers (although visually stunning). I have not looked into it or researched its plot or anything, but there was something incoherent about the premise from the trailer. I wasn't sure if they were targeting adults or kids. It seemed serious, but also geared to younger folks in a way. So maybe difficult to market properly.

Jupiter Ascending looked awful. I again don't know anything much about it, but from the trailers, it looked like something trying to capitalize on Hunger Games (much like Divergent).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @bondjames, it looked beautiful, but I, too, haven't looked into it too much, so perhaps it had an inconsistent plot, bad acting, etc. Who knows.

I gave 'Jupiter Ascending' a solid 20-25 minutes before I shut it off. The Wachowskis have really lost that spark they had with 'The Matrix' trilogy.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I had the same feeling when seeing the trailer of Tomorrowland, was it another Narnia rip-off? Never bothered to watch it, seemed boring-ish.

Jupiter Ascending on the other hand is great. I love it. I think it bombed because it seems to be similar to Guardians Of The Galaxy and people probably thought it's a rip-off.

Jupiter is one great visually stunning movie. Mila Kunis is once again a force of nature and Channing Tatum is really good in anything except playing a stripper probably, even if he does look delicious naked :))
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I haven't seen Tomorrowland yet but I thought it looked good and I will rent it the day it comes out. As for Jupiter Acending, that movie was honestly trash, and that's coming from a guy who really enjoys sc-fi movies. Channing Tatum said recently the movie that he regrets doing the most was G.I. Joe, I can only assume that Jupiter Acending was so bad that he pretends he was ever part of it.

As for The Man From U.N.C.L.E I'll be seeing it tomorrow.

ScreenCrush just voted UNCLE the most underrated film of the summer. http://screencrush.com/best-of-summer-2015-survey-results/
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Interestingly enough, their own review was a big meh.
    Channing Tatum said recently the movie that he regrets doing the most was G.I. Joe.

Can't believe he meant that dead serious. After all he was in the sequel as well of G.I. Joe :-O
    And if he has made a movie that he should regret then it's Magic Mike and the XXL crap which I had to endure thanks to my wife :P

Did you see UNCLE and did you like it?

I've seen it and can't believe that it is one of the biggest financial disasters of 2015. It didn't even get to 100 million worldwide.
  • Channing Tatum said recently the movie that he regrets doing the most was G.I. Joe.

Can't believe he meant that dead serious. After all he was in the sequel as well of G.I. Joe :-O
    And if he has made a movie that he should regret then it's Magic Mike and the XXL crap which I had to endure thanks to my wife :P

I've seen it and can't believe that it is one of the biggest financial disasters of 2015. It didn't even get to 100 million worldwide.

Could be good news for BluRay sales later this year :-). And perhaps it'll get a slight cult-status, so it will most likely appear in steelbook as well ;-). And don't write off a sequel just yet. I think Warner pretty damn well knows that they did something wrong with the scheduling of the film. Also, let's wait for China.
    Channing Tatum said recently the movie that he regrets doing the most was G.I. Joe.

Could be good news for BluRay sales later this year :-). And perhaps it'll get a slight cult-status, so it will most likely appear in steelbook as well ;-). And don't write off a sequel just yet. I think Warner pretty damn well knows that they did something wrong with the scheduling of the film. Also, let's wait for China.

Oh ok, didn't realise it hasn't opened yet in China. Why are movies always that late in China?
    Anyways, I don't believe in a sequel, Warner has just lost way too much money on this.
    Maybe another go in the future with another cast and another style, but then there are enough cult TV Shows around that could be made into a big screen version.
  • RC7RC7

I honestly don't think the scheduling has anything to do with it. I just don't think there was any appetite for it. Cavill and Hammer aren't a draw, Ritchie isn't a draw and the period setting hasn't resonated.
  • RC7 wrote: »

I honestly don't think the scheduling has anything to do with it. I just don't think there was any appetite for it. Cavill and Hammer aren't a draw, Ritchie isn't a draw and the period setting hasn't resonated.

You must feel bit sad about it then no? You're very critical of this ongoing focus on box office figures. And the film itself was quite good, despite being a financial flop (so far). It has a very stable 7.6 on IMDB (SF has a 7.8, M:I RN has a 7.8). Did you actually like the film?
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

You must feel bit sad about it then no? You're very critical of this ongoing focus on box office figures. And the film itself was quite good, despite being a financial flop (so far). It has a very stable 7.6 on IMDB (SF has a 7.8, M:I RN has a 7.8). Did you actually like the film?

Do you want my honest opinion?

I think much better films could be made for $75m.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883

Do you want my honest opinion?

I think much better films could be made for $75m.

For me, there was something strained about the two lead characters. They were somewhat cardboard cutout to me & sort of lacking in depth of characterization.

I realize that there was a need to evoke Vaughan/McCallum, but these two didn't quite do it. McCallum in particular was a very endearing Kuryakin from the get-go, while Hammer just seemed like a block of wood to me.

Something has not connected with the audience, and I suspect this is it. This is not all about the mid-summer release timing, although that too had an impact no doubt.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Watched it last night, big disappointment :(
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I planned to go today, but for unknown reasons my city's theatre don't have it anymore... weird, it came out only a week ago.
    Must have been a real flop, then.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Same here. It disappeared almost as quickly as Fantastic Four.
  • Same here. It disappeared almost as quickly as Fantastic Four.

Here in Barcelona it's still playing.... Even more screenings than "Rogue Nation". Like 5 a day. And that's only in VOS (Version Original con Subtitulos).
  • I really liked UNCLE. It wasn't as slick as a film like Rouge Nation, but did a good job of establishing the characters and showing their development (which IMO is more important than a strong plot in the first film of what I'm sure they hoped would be a series).

Rouge Nation being moved up to July really hurt UNCLE & Warner didn't really seem to try and market it as heavily as I anticipated. No way that this film should've flopped at the box office.
  • Let me make a bold statement here: I think "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." was better as a film than "Furious 7" and "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron". The latter ones were money magnets, "U.N.C.L.E." wasn't. And "U.N.C.L.E." by far needed such an insane production budget as "Furious 7" and "Avengers 2".

Let me make a bold statement here: I think "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." was better as a film than "Furious 7" and "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron". The latter ones were money magnets, "U.N.C.L.E." wasn't. And "U.N.C.L.E." by far needed such an insane production budget as "Furious 7" and "Avengers 2".

Pleeeeeeeesssseeee........ =))

on second thought....you could be right :))

Box office billions don't make quality movies that stand above all others.

In fact it is seldom so.

AVATAR the best movie ever?? :-O

UNCLE was more enjoyable than Furious 7.
    AOU I'm not sure, I'm too much into comic adaptions and Joss Wheadon is my religion.

This years best two movies:

MAD MAX FURY ROAD
    JOHN WICK

in that order....then comes nothing for a very long time.
    I don't think Man From Uncle was better than Avengers Ultron personally. Ultron was no where as good as the first Avengers, but I was more invested in the story that I was in Man From Uncle.

The villains were poor in Man From Uncle and it was more style over substance imho. Additionally, the heroes did not have the same gravitas as those in Avengers (Downey Jr. on his own has more charisma than anything in Uncle). It was like a stylish music video. This is something that has to be corrected if they do a sequel - there has to be more of a personal connection to the protagonists in the plot.

I think what Man From Uncle demonstrates is that the public is not ready just yet to go back to the lighter fare Bond films of old, that were purely plot driven and without larger thematic character elements. I think that fad still has a longer way to go before it's fully 'played out'. So expect more personal demons & angst from Bond & other heroes for a while yet.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think what Man From Uncle demonstrates is that the public is not ready just yet to go back to the lighter fare Bond films of old, that were purely plot driven and without larger thematic character elements. I think that fad still has a longer way to go before it's fully 'played out'. So expect more personal demons & angst from Bond & other heroes for a while yet.

Once again I read something that makes no sense whatever, what the Men from Uncle proved is that a successful series from the sixties does not make a successful movie in the following century. It says nothing whatsoever about the 007 franchise. This statement proves that you can use whatever to make your point without it containing a grain of truth only self-fulfilling ideas.

I think that if the 007 franchise would steer to less pretentious and personal stories with a new 007 actor the franchise would do well.

People call SF the new standard it most likely is the same standard as Avatar, sometimes a perfect storm strikes. Which does not make it a standard.

That said I liked Uncle a lot and will most certainly obtain it on bluray upon release/
    SaintMark wrote: »

Once again I read something that makes no sense whatever, what the Men from Uncle proved is that a successful series from the sixties does not make a successful movie in the following century. It says nothing whatsoever about the 007 franchise. This statement proves that you can use whatever to make your point without it containing a grain of truth only self-fulfilling ideas.

I think that if the 007 franchise would steer to less pretentious and personal stories with a new 007 actor the franchise would do well.

People call SF the new standard it most likely is the same standard as Avatar, sometimes a perfect storm strikes. Which does not make it a standard.

That said I liked Uncle a lot and will most certainly obtain it on bluray upon release/

Well, let's see who is right on this. Time will tell.

Films with depth of characterization and meaningful, personal plots have been box office gold in recent years. I have yet to see any change in that.

I said nothing about SF being a standard, so don't put words in my mouth. I am speculating, but based on facts to date.

I suggest it is you who is pontificating with your last post (particularly the bolded comments), as the evidence, to date, does not validate your opinion, but rather suggests it is wishful conjecture.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2015 Posts: 11,139
    I don't think Man From Uncle was better than Avengers Ultron personally. Ultron was no where as good as the first Avengers, but I was more invested in the story that I was in Man From Uncle.

The villains were poor in Man From Uncle and it was more style over substance imho. Additionally, the heroes did not have the same gravitas as those in Avengers (Downey Jr. on his own has more charisma than anything in Uncle). It was like a stylish music video. This is something that has to be corrected if they do a sequel - there has to be more of a personal connection to the protagonists in the plot.

I think what Man From Uncle demonstrates is that the public is not ready just yet to go back to the lighter fare Bond films of old

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there and just to add, with Bourne being released next year, it's only going to reinforce the stronghold of a lack of lighter fare, which I'm more than happy to continue supporting.
    Films with depth of characterization and meaningful, personal plots have been box office gold in recent years. I have yet to see any change in that. 

Precisely.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Anyone remember me saying that if it didn't have the Goldsmith UNCLE theme I wasn't gonna see it? If they had only used it in the movie & the marketing it would have jogged people's memories and I believe that one alteration alone could have made the movie a success...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Anyone remember me saying that if it didn't have the Goldsmith UNCLE theme I wasn't gonna see it? If they had only used it in the movie & the marketing it would have jogged people's memories and I believe that one alteration alone could have made the movie a success...

You have a point. It was a great tune and they should have used it (I have not idea why they didn't, unless it was copyright or something)....music can jog the memory effectively and take people back to another time.......

Most importantly though @chrisisall, it would have got you to go and see it...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I will rent it though.
    Let me make a bold statement here: I think "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." was better as a film than "Furious 7" and "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron". The latter ones were money magnets, "U.N.C.L.E." wasn't. And "U.N.C.L.E." by far needed such an insane production budget as "Furious 7" and "Avengers 2".
    Agreed. UNCLE should have spent more money on marketing.