Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    A point I'd like to raise, which I'm not sure has been yet, re. the song. This goes against my own mantra of 'if it seems obvious, it probably is', so it's highly possible I'm barking up the wrong tree. However...

In Smith's audio clip with Nick Grimshaw he describes his ambition for the song was to try and make it a 'Classic timeless, Bond song' and also 'an epic love song', the way he says it suggests the two thoughts are independent, but that's been conflated by the media as 'classic love song', or in other words ballad. For those panicking, perhaps it's not necessarily the ballad you fear, but a more pulsating, orchestral piece that is lyrically driven by a love theme. A lot of the best love songs aren't ballads.

Unlikely given his track record, but possible.

Good points.

But consider this:

SAM SMITH is the TOM JONES of our generation.

Because he's the first male British solo artist since 65? Largely irrelevant to me, it just serves as a headline the masses can understand and go, 'Ooooh' then carry on eating dinner.
  • It is announced it is Sam Smith. As for as the first male singer of the theme song, am Smith is the first one since 1965. Dis not Paul McCartney sing for Live and Let Die in 1973? He is a Brit, the Beetle!

Yes, but at that time he formed the band Wings with his wife Linda McCartney :-)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It is announced it is Sam Smith. As for as the first male singer of the theme song, am Smith is the first one since 1965. Dis not Paul McCartney sing for Live and Let Die in 1973? He is a Brit, the Beetle!

It was Paul McCartney and the Wings (a band). The last male singer was Tom Jones.
    The article mentioned solo British male, I believe.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    A point I'd like to raise, which I'm not sure has been yet, re. the song. This goes against my own mantra of 'if it seems obvious, it probably is', so it's highly possible I'm barking up the wrong tree. However...

In Smith's audio clip with Nick Grimshaw he describes his ambition for the song was to try and make it a 'Classic timeless, Bond song' and also 'an epic love song', the way he says it suggests the two thoughts are independent, but that's been conflated by the media as 'classic love song', or in other words ballad. For those panicking, perhaps it's not necessarily the ballad you fear, but a more pulsating, orchestral piece that is lyrically driven by a love theme. A lot of the best love songs aren't ballads.

Unlikely given his track record, but possible.

Good points.

But consider this:

SAM SMITH is the TOM JONES of our generation.

Because he's the first male British solo artist since 65? Largely irrelevant to me, it just serves as a headline the masses can understand and go, 'Ooooh' then carry on eating dinner.

That's not what I meant, that's just a coincidence.

Sam Smith does love songs in a similar way Jones did when he was huge. I see many similarities there.
  • Sam Smith is a phenomenal vocal talent, but most of his songs don't really do anything for me. I think he and his producer will really have had to turn it up a few notches from his usual in order for it to work. I could see it end up being something like this (although this is Sia).

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm equally disappointed that Smith was chosen, and Caro Emerald wasn't.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Sam Smith trying to be the best Bond girl he can be.

@Gustav try not to pass out with over excitement! ;)

• RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »

A few forum members will be burning copies of 'Attitude' tonight.
  • doubleoego wrote: »

He's very cute nowadays ;-)
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    antovolk wrote: »
    So this is my question...

What in the world is going on with Ellie Goulding? What is this "Spy" song that she recorded? Some of this doesn't make sense. I think EON is holding out on some information related to the music.

The working title "Spy" song HAS to be part of Spectre... Why throw bones out like that if they don't mean anything? Unless it was a whole plot between the two artists to distract people?

I think it may be just a rejected song that she redid for her upcoming album.

Maybe it's the end credits song. We haven't had one of those in a long time. Not since TND I believe.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I'm feeling a little sick now.

His song had better be bloody good on the 25th.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Or, someone else does the killing. Leaving Bond and Blofeld to
    Team up to find the killer the first in a Series of Buddie movies. :D
    Just get Guy Ritchie to direct.

That actually sounds pretty interesting. Isn't the old saying that the best way of beating your enemy is make him your friend?

I'm seeing it now. In a paralell universe: Bond & Blofeld team up flick
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    I'm glad Smith got the part (and is performing solo). It will be good. I hope it's great.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,257
    I listened to a lot of Sam Smith's music several months back to see what all the hubbub was about. He's got a great voice and I think "I'm not the only one" is an excellent song but I don't really care for the rest of his stuff.

When it comes down to it, I don't expect I will download and listen to 'Writing's on the Wall' like I did with "Skyfall". Very few Bond themes are worthy of that in my opinion.
    I will never understand what the fuss is all about Adele. I listened to her albums several times on Spotify but I find it all quite mediocre.
    But who can argue with a multiple Grammy winner and the insane success she has.

Sam Smith is the male version of Adele and it makes perfect sense he got chosen for the Bond theme.

He is a multiple grammy winner and his success is almost as insane as Adele's. His music also is quite boring (imo).
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

He's very cute nowadays ;-)

And so is my cat Tiddles
    But I don't like the way she sings
    Sam Smith don't know anything about the bloke or how he sings so I shall reserve judgement until I've heard the song itself
    The artist is one thing the writer is another and then you have the aranger and the producer so the song will be the sum of many parts .
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,526
    Sam Smith is a phenomenal vocal talent, but most of his songs don't really do anything for me. I think he and his producer will really have had to turn it up a few notches from his usual in order for it to work. I could see it end up being something like this (although this is Sia).

@battleshipgreygt, this video kind of makes me wish Sia was doing it! Although I'm not a huge fan of it when the drum sound comes in.

Also I like your username! Do you own a Bentley? :D
    Sam Smith it is then, take a little getting used too but he may just surprise us all? Guess we will all have to wait until September 25th to find out!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    --> "Writing's On The Wall" is a British saying that doesn't bode well: "Implies that there is evidence of an impending disaster. The event may be seen as difficult to avert."
    --> At the same time it's a love song. Sam Smith explicitly confirmed it.
    --> One of the new posters shows Daniel Craig in typical Bond pose, slightly smirking, whereas Madeleine Swann stands next to him in a hapless way.
    --> The original teaser poster that was released in December has a bullet hole through glass, in which you can see the Octopus logo. I think it's a serious part of the narrative.
    --> This picture shows Madeleine like a real troubled character, crying:
    COU7tWuWEAY9rKm.jpg:large

I think....Madeleine Swann dies at the end of "SPECTRE". Presumably she gets killed. So I pretty much expect a dramatic love song :-<

Doesn't this kind of remind you of the scene from OHMSS where Blofeld is flirting with Tracy inside his office at Piz Gloria, talking about he's going to make her his?
    I had already said this a couple of pages ago.
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    edited September 2015 Posts: 108
    What worries me the most actually is the fact that once again, lazy or (uncapable?) Thomas Newman does not integrate the theme song into the movie score.

As a rule EON should only appoint composers who do the theme song as well as co-composer. It worked so well with David Arnold.

Who also only co-composed two out of five themes within his given time. To put it bluntly: Only Barry and Hamlish even really seemed to care about the theme song.

For the number crunchers here: Since 1987 only YKNM and TWINE were composed by the one responsible for the score, that's once every 14 years. So the participation is more the exception than the rule nowadays. Sadly.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The merging of the theme song melody and the rest of the soundtrack isn't a big deal to me, certainly not as much as infusing the Bond theme. I think Arnold and Newman both did this well.
    Pre order for Sep 28 on iTunes- song runs 4:38. https://itun.es/gb/-Hf39
  • I've pre-ordered mine. No preview but it makes sense that there isn't one.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020
    full.jpg

copied from my airbook screen

it will actually be a nice birthday present for me as I was born September 28th :)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    doesn't seem to be showing up in Canada... we always get the - end of the stick, eh?
    :(
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    full.jpg

it will actually be a nice birthday present for me as I was born September 28th :)

We share the same birthday
    full.jpg

We share the same birthday

:-bd
    So it wasn't Prodigy after all! Damn, I thought this sort of track would be the sort of thing Babs and MG listen to after a hard day's filming....

:D
    Pre orders will go up at midnight PT I think for US/Canada.