'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Everything's looks great, my only niggle is that horrible CGI dragon. Reminiscent, and not in a good way, of the Tyranosaur in Deep Breath.

I thought you were going to say from Invasion Of The Dinosaurs. ;)

If they are using some of the Classic era Daleks, could we have some Classic era Cybermen (from The Moonbase, The Tomb Of The Cybermen, The Wheel In Space or The Invasion, preferably from the latter story) next? [-O<
  • Missy!

I was wondering about that actually. I mean we know she's The Master now but still in all the press releases and everything and comments, etc, she's referred to as Missy. So is that what the character is called now? I thought it was just to hide her identity until the reveal but now it seems like that's her name, and I don't know why. I mean it's not like The Master is a gender exclusive name so I don't see the point in renaming her.

For the record I didn't mind the character being a woman at all (go back a few pages and you'll see posts from me defending the decision) and I thought Michelle Gomez did a great job, but since they changed the gender, the character motivations, the gender and the name on top of that, I think they should've just made it a new character.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Looks great, super trailer, very hopeful it'll be super.....
    A nice appetiser for the main event then! :-bd
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Trailer looks good. Hoping it is more consistent and with better stories than last season. Think Capaldi should grow his hair 'wild', and love the Bob Dylan look. Roll on September!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Are you 6th Doctor (and to a lesser degree, us 7th Doctor fans) fans ready? It's almost time...

11845150_1104233846272463_4496217394780227169_o.jpg

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-sixth-doctor---the-last-adventure-1212?range=109

Normally, I tend to stick to the 7th Doctor audios, but Sixth Doctor: The Last Adventure is one story featuring another Doctor which I am interested in.
    A belated 72nd happy birthday (yesterday) to the 7th Doctor himself, Sylvester McCoy.

26499e909ab9dc734b1ed4869b34e778.jpg

For those interested, from today until Mondey, Big Finish have rolled out a sale on 10 7th Doctor audios, £5 each. From the sale, i've bought 'Robophobia' & 'Daleks Among Us', and not in the sale, I bought 'Excellis Decays'. \:D/
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Shame McCoy didn't get a 4th series. I think it would've shaped up nicely. I never liked the Ace character much though.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I never warmed to him as The Doctor, thought he was given some
    Pretty poor stories.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Shame McCoy didn't get a 4th series. I think it would've shaped up nicely. I never liked the Ace character much though.

Was it all the "wicked", "Ace", "Professor"? Those didn't bother me, but then Ace is my favourite companion. On a 4th series for McCoy, you won't have any argument from me. Without the question pullover. That was a too on the nose for the scheming/manipulative Doctor.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I never warmed to him as The Doctor, thought he was given some
    Pretty poor stories.

I'll admit that it was touch and go with series 24, but the stories improve in series 25 and series 26, even if the budget didn't.
    I remember on one of the documentaries on the series, it was pointed out
    That from world television sales Dr Who made a fortune for the BBC , but
    They considered it a " Kids" show so simply wouldn't spend any money
    on it. :-<
    Nothing would surprise me with the Beeb. In the mid-late 80's the show was stuck in a vicious circle. The Beeb wouldn't give the production crew the money needed, so it started to look cheap, so the rating would drop, and the Beeb would be unhappy and lower the budget. It's like they were slashing at the show with a knife, then weren't happy when they were drawing blood.

Though I think series 26 looked better than the two previous series due to the increased amount of on location filming. Only Ghostlight was filmed all in studio.
    Interesting stuff, as I'm no expert on Dr Who, just a fan. I think it was
    around the time of Sylvester that I stopped watching ( on a regular basis)
    and it wasn't untill the reboot that I got back in to it.
    I'm Loving Peter Capaldi as the Dr though, never miss an episode.
    :)
    I'm starting to like Capaldi to, after a not so good start. I hope he doesn't look his grumpy/prickly side.
    Can't wait to see the Dr back on our screens on Saturday nights!!!! :-bd
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 591
    Hey I made this fan trailer for my series 10 using the Series 9 trailer music :)

*** Danger! Tounge bath and minor poo flinging ahead***

I've just finished listening to Daleks Among Us (the third story in the 2013 Doctor, Klein & Will trilogy). I enjoyed the first two stories (Persuason and Starlight Robbery), as I have all the 7th Doctor stories involving Klein (one of the best things that Big Finish have done with the 7th Doctor). And what set this trilogy apart from the 2010 7th Doctor & Klein trilogy of; A Thousand Tiny Wings/Survival Of The Fittest/Architects Of History was in the introduction of an assistant for Klein in Will Arrowsmith, that mixed up the dynamic a little.

But the revelation involving Klein towards the end of Daleks Among Us (itself, the weak link in the trilogy), might just have tarnished the character of Klein. Tracy Childs has done a superb job playing this Nazi scientist villain-turned-occasional friend traveling acquaintance of the 7th Doctor. Klein isn't down for anymore travels in the Tardis in what's left of 2015, so here's hoping that 2016 brings some more 7th Doctor & Klein stories to take the taste away of Daleks Among Us.

Or I could just listen to Unit: Dominion again.
    Good news : Seems like the release of "The Underwater Menace" will happen after all.

bbcshop.com/drama/doctor-who-the-underwater-menace/invt/bbcdvd3691

I'll be in Cardiff on that day. Maybe it will be available at the Doctor Who Experience.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Good news : Seems like the release of "The Underwater Menace" will happen after all.

bbcshop.com/drama/doctor-who-the-underwater-menace/invt/bbcdvd3691

I'll be in Cardiff on that day. Maybe it will be available at the Doctor Who Experience.

I'll buy it, even if, like The Web Of Fear and The Enemy Of The World, it's vanilla. But it looks like a documentary and commentary were recorded.
    Gerard wrote: »

Interesting? Wonder how that will play out?
  • THAT'S SO EXCITING. River's one of my favorite characters.
    Didn't Moffat say he wasn't going to bring her back unless he had something REALLY good planned?
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Happy to see Alex Kingston return as River Song. Great character and Kingston is super, and a little sexy too. Looking forward to it.
    Yes, exciting news. :)
    I feel neither here nor there toward River Song. If she didn't appear again, I wouldn't loose sleep.
    Just go with the " Flow" ? ;)
    Trailer for the first episode :

Missy, Daleks, and new monsters ? Count me in !
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited September 2015 Posts: 5,080
    Ugh, the "maximum extermination" lines back...
    Bring it on!!!! \m/