Daniel Craig says he doesn't want to do another Bond; Spectre may be his last

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    From my perspective, whatever your opinion, just be prepared to defend it and explain your thinking, including your favourites.

I'm not averse to anyone bashing anyone. At least a basher has a point of view (which he/she is entitled to) and is not afraid to express it. If I don't agree, I'll counter, or may learn something new along the way.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    From my perspective, whatever your opinion, just be prepared to defend it and explain your thinking, including your favourites.

I'm not averse to anyone bashing anyone. At least a basher has a point of view (which he/she is entitled to) and is not afraid to express it. If I don't agree, I'll counter, or may learn something new along the way.

You can have a sausage too.

It's a four pack, anyone else want one?
    As has been said, a producer credit is not at all unusual for the star of a film these days. It's more often an Executive Producer credit but it tends to mean the talent involved has some right of veto over primary creative decisions and some input into the screenplay. It may or may not involve points on the box-office; I'd imagine Craig already has them in any case.

But it is a long way from EON handing over power to Craig. Brosnan would probably have been able to negotiate the same nowadays, especially if one of his movies had made over a billion dollars, as the credit is more ubiquitous now than in his day; almost routine, in fact.

As I've stated in other threads -to some disbelief- it's been Craig's intention to leave after SPECTRE for some time now. That said, the co-producer credit might offer some comfort; it MIGHT be a "sweetener", an attempt to keep him on board by guaranteeing creative control for future films. (That's not necessarily the best thing for Bond fans, by the way, so I'd be careful what you wish for). But if Craig leaves, as I still expect him to (and it seems to me very much that the groundwork is being laid for an announcement to that effect), I'd be more than surprised if Craig remains in any kind of Nolanesque "oversight" role in future.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    dmwalker wrote: »
    As I've stated in other threads -to some disbelief- it's been Craig's intention to leave after SPECTRE for some time now...

if Craig leaves, as I still expect him to (and it seems to me very much that the groundwork is being laid for an announcement to that effect)..

when are where has he stated as such?... he signed a 3 film extension after QOS.

there has been nothing even remotely close to being officially stated that this is the case, except for a misinterpreted magazine quote, and a bunch of fan conjecture run amuck.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    As I've stated in other threads -to some disbelief- it's been Craig's intention to leave after SPECTRE for some time
    now.

when are where has he stated as such?... he signed a 3 film extension after QOS.

Why do so many people keep harping on about contracts?

First of all, there's actually no officially verifiable statement of his contractual obligations that I've seen, only hearsay, with even Michael Wilson's last quoted comment being that Craig has an "open" contract.

Secondly, contracts are NOT binding in the way you seem to think they are. They allow legal redress if things become acrimonious but it rarely comes to that, because it's simply bad business to keep a disgruntled actor working against their will, especially in a franchise as big as this one. Contracts are broken by agreement on both sides all the time; and often without agreement. Showbiz contracts are not the same as contracts in, say, the manufacturing industry.

I don't know how many times this has to be spelled out for people.

You don't have to take my word for it: If what you're saying was true, Craig wouldn't even be hinting at leaving, would he? He'd have no choice but to stay. Talk about confirmation bias!

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    You don't have to take my word for it: If what you're saying was true, Craig wouldn't even be hinting at leaving, would he? He'd have no choice but to stay. Talk about confirmation bias!

well with that kind of attitude - no, i wont take your word for it, thank you very much.. because who are you?... unless your name is either Barbara Broccoli, Michael Wilson, or Daniel Craig - your word means nothing to me.... it's just that, words... so step off...

now, in terms of what Craig says - he does this ALL THE TIME... he did it after CR, after QOS he seemed to have to an interesting remark about "i wish i could tear up my contract and wipe my ass with it.".. "I've been trying to get out of it since i first signed." .. and so on and so on... he also says "i'll keep doing them as long as they are successful." .. and.. "i'll keep doing them for as long as they (the producers) will have me around." ...... any "hints" you seem to want to claim he is subtly - or not so subtly dropping, christ - it's been going on for years - he'll talk about staying one minute, then wanting out the next.... it only gains traction now for whatever reason - possibly because he's getting close to 50, and that seems to be when Bond actors are put out to pasture.. or simply because, people don't know the length or the terms of his contract.. and i'm sure there is just as many people who think - well Pierce was out after 4 films, this is Craig's 4th - he'll probably be out as well..

well with that kind of attitude - no, i wont take your word for it, thank you very much.. because who are you?... unless your name is either Barbara Broccoli, Michael Wilson, or Daniel Craig - your word means nothing to me.... it's just that, words... so step off...

now, in terms of what Craig says - he does this ALL THE TIME... he did it after CR, after QOS he seemed to have to an interesting remark about "i wish i could tear up my contract and wipe my ass with it.".. "I've been trying to get out of it since i first signed." .. and so on and so on... he also says "i'll keep doing them as long as they are successful." .. and.. "i'll keep doing them for as long as they (the producers) will have me around." ...... any "hints" you seem to want to claim he is subtly - or not so subtly dropping, christ - it's been going on for years - he'll talk about staying one minute, then wanting out the next.... it only gains traction now for whatever reason - possibly because he's getting close to 50, and that seems to be when Bond actors are put out to pasture.. or simply because, people don't know the length or the terms of his contract.. and i'm sure there is just as many people who think - well Pierce was out after 4 films, this is Craig's 4th - he'll probably be out as well..

My apologies. I foolishly assumed you had read the other posts in this thread or others; or perhaps some of the news items about Craig's recent comments; but clearly you're intent on taking "uninformed" to a whole new level.

Though I'd suggest to you that there are perhaps a few more people than just Broccoli, Wilson and Craig that understand how contracts work. Please let me know if I'm mistaken in this, as I'll have to consider firing my agent if not.

Interesting, though, that you choose to disregard Michael Wilson's statement on the "open" contract too, despite your unshakable belief in his acumen. You really should google "confirmation bias".

• NicNac wrote: »
    aspie wrote: »
    I am not sadden by this development. I am actually quite appalled that Babs has relinquished so much control to Daniel. Do you think Cubby would have given creative control to Connery? Not likely. Co-producer, absolutely not!!! Time to bring some glamour back to Bond, maybe in this era of Miley and whoever the fad of the day it won't appeal to folks but Fleming's Bond had more class than this iteration. Btw- Dalton did the serious Bond better.
    God Almighty, sometimes these forums make me want to kill myself.

The forums I can usually take, it is the movies that usually piss me off.

And yeah, of course Dalton did serious Bond better.
    delete

because i'm an asshole..
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

My apologies. I foolishly assumed you had read the other posts in this thread or others; or perhaps some of the news items about Craig's recent comments; but clearly you're intent on taking "uninformed" to a whole new level.

Though I'd suggest to you that there are perhaps a few more people than just Broccoli, Wilson and Craig that understand how contracts work. Please let me know if I'm mistaken in this, as I'll have to consider firing my agent if not.

Interesting, though, that you choose to disregard Michael Wilson's statement on the "open" contract too, despite your unshakable belief in his acumen. You really should google "confirmation bias".

Aren't you the same guy that made some outrageous obtuse claim that you just couldn't believe the filmmakers did in another thread??

Sorry I can't stand pretense..

trevanian wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    aspie wrote: »
    I am not sadden by this development. I am actually quite appalled that Babs has relinquished so much control to Daniel. Do you think Cubby would have given creative control to Connery? Not likely. Co-producer, absolutely not!!! Time to bring some glamour back to Bond, maybe in this era of Miley and whoever the fad of the day it won't appeal to folks but Fleming's Bond had more class than this iteration. Btw- Dalton did the serious Bond better.
    God Almighty, sometimes these forums make me want to kill myself.

The forums I can usually take, it is the movies that usually piss me off.

And yeah, of course Dalton did serious Bond better.

Thank you. Now you can close this thread.

mcdonbb wrote: »
    You don't have to take my word for it: If what you're saying
    was true, Craig wouldn't even be hinting at leaving, would he? He'd have no choice but to stay. Talk about confirmation bias!

Aren't you the same guy that made some outrageous obtuse claim that you just couldn't believe the filmmakers did in another thread??

Sorry I can't stand pretense..

I'd answer your question if it made any grammatical sense. Do you want to have another go, maybe with the pertinent words included?

What I do know is that you've appeared on another thread advocating civility when I've personally found you to be one of the rudest people on here. So I guess you're okay with hypocrisy.

• I'm so fed up about this discussion. Ever since this SonyLeak came out in which Amy Pascal was suggesting Elba as Bond I was like "Ooh God, ooh no, this will stick to us like 5-sec-glu". And here we are today. It doesn't surprise me a BIT that Craig is openly talking about leaving the role now. Let me explain why:

This discussion has nothing to do with a positive discussion about the franchise anymore. Nor is it a proper discussion about racism. The very word 'racism' should not even be mentioned! This has nothing to do with racism. This has EVERYTHING to do with our social-media-generation going berserk, from white people to black people, from yellow people to orange people. Social media is to blaim for this, as since a decade or so Facebook and Twitter are crowded with little self-centered dictators, who think there opinion is being read by the entire planet Earth. And those little ego-trippers across the globe all loose perspective, nuance and actually contribute to the downfall of social cohesion in society.

Because let's face it: Daniel Craig IS James Bond 007. Did we forget the unwritten rules of being a gentleman? Of being...polite? What's happening right now is really scary to me. It hurts me, and our beloved actor Daniel Craig. We're all talking behind his back about who's going to replace him. It's unfair......and it's like we're all farting in Craig's face the longer we keep Idris Elba in the news!

My respect for actor Idris Elba has gone also. There were days when a British actor had the guts to actually say this: "I don't want to discuss this subject. Daniel Craig is Bond now, NOT me. Please focus your attention to his tennure as 007". Instead, Mr Elba is fuelling the rumours himself by constantly 'thanking' his fans, and by actually talking about the subject continuously. Perhaps he thinks it's good for his career, but I think he's damaging all the positive legacy that's surrounding his person.

Moreover, I call up to Anthony Horowitz and Sir Roger Moore to be a bit more fierce and stick with their initial opinions. We're labelling them as racists once they voice their opinion about a black actor. It's ridiculous really. IMO real racism has the cruel result/effect of death and destruction. That's obviously not the case with Mr Elba. May I remind you Yaphet Kotto's remark himself in which he said that Ian Fleming didn't envision Bond to be black? It's not racism. It's a bloody fact! It doesn't mean that I am against a black actor. On the contrary. But there's a time and place for this discussion in the future, and it's not NOW. And that discussion starts at the Broccoli's office in Piccadilly Circus, behind closed doors. Not here

And now please let's go back to "SPECTRE" and our beloved current actor Daniel Craig. He deserves to be the center of attention now, NOT Idris Elba.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    With all due respect @Gustav_Graves, there is a separate thread for this discussion (this one) and the discussion is in the correct thread.

One is not required to come here if this kind of talk and speculation upsets one.

It's a free country (at least where I live, and hopefully on the internet where most of us live) and so our ability to speculate and discuss based on words that have come out of Craig's mouth himself is open season I would think.

PS: I want Craig to stay on in the role, but that doesn't mean I don't find this discussion interesting. I'm also a big believer, as you know, in free speech.
  • I think this also belongs in this topic. It's not a black-and-white discussion anymore. Far from that. The reason that Craig might want to retire is this continuous bullocks-discussion about Idris Elba. Hence why I apply my rights for free speech as well, and fiercefully defend Daniel Craig.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Think it's great to hear DC is being given a Co - producer credit on Spectre.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    no, but how many times must we hear the same crap over and over and over and over and over and over and over again... it literally sometimes feels like it's the same voice coming out different accounts on these threads..

what you said literally brought nothing to the table... it's just seizing yet another opportunity to bash Craig, EON or whoever..

and its not about being a suck up to Craig or anyone else.. its about intelligent or entertaining conversations being dragged down to a screeching halt, time and time again.

Well, in general it takes two sides to drag down the conversation to a screeching halt.

What I noticed reading the stuff about Craig as co-producer:

Some went almost crazy of excitement as their King Craig finally made it big within EON fulfilling their secret wishes that Craig might never step away from the role.

Some went berserk reading the crazies comments how fabulous it is to have Craig named as producer and immediately tried to convince them how silly they are, probably being jealous of Craig and having their nightmare come true that Craig might never step away from the role.

Some went delusional to think Craig will stay on as producer in the future when he's not Bond anymore, writing scripts etc.

Some are only reading this thread and probably laughing their socks off...

Some are totally ignoring the fact that an actor co-producing a movie is the most normal thing nowadays in Hollywood, and yes, it's the first time in the Bond franchise but nevertheless a normal development in the business.

Some (me) are sarcastic rascals and think Craig is a co-producer only to make big bucks when Spectre hits the billion dollar mark.

Now go figure...

<:-P

i personally dont care what he is..

he can be the lead actor, producer, director, composer - hell, if he could find a way to operate the camera and still be able to act at the same time - even better.... i couldn't care less what he does, as long as we get a good film.. at the end of the day, that is all that matters..

exploding upon the fact that he is listed as a co-producer is just silly.... my god, he should've gotten a writing credit on QOS with all the work he had to do on set with the director to try and make something out of that mess.. and he probably even should've gotten a producer or writing credit on SF, considering how hands on he was with that one as well...

bottom line is...

hans_zpsc7708f41.jpg

lets move on..

Yyyyyyyyyyyes!!!
  • Let's not fight guys! It's ripping us apart!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Let's not fight guys! It's ripping us apart!!

Literally or figuratively? Because I'll make a swift exit from this thread if limbs are being removed...
  • I think this also belongs in this topic. It's not a black-and-white discussion anymore. Far from that. The reason that Craig might want to retire is this continuous bullocks-discussion about Idris Elba. Hence why I apply my rights for free speech as well, and fiercefully defend Daniel Craig.

Fiercefully, huh?

Geezus I'll be happy when they have a new Bond. ANY new Bond.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,119
    trevanian wrote: »
    I think this also belongs in this topic. It's not a black-and-white discussion anymore. Far from that. The reason that Craig might want to retire is this continuous bullocks-discussion about Idris Elba. Hence why I apply my rights for free speech as well, and fiercefully defend Daniel Craig.

Fiercefully, huh?

Geezus I'll be happy when they have a new Bond. ANY new Bond.

Why are you happy with that? :)
    You haven't even seen "SPECTRE" yet. Craig might be astonishing us all to such an extend, that we're all begging him to stay for more films.
  • The guy WAS a good actor, at least in PERDITION and a few other things I've seen going back into the 90s. I see precious little evidence of that talent outside of about 7min in QUANTUM, so I'm 'blaming' that marginal success on Forster eliciting something special.

The plotting and style of the current films is for my money amateurish and downright stupid, so since he is so keen on how they are doing them, that tells me where his head is at too.

The only begging I'm doing is for it to be done with.

My respect for actor Idris Elba has gone also. There were days when a British actor had the guts to actually say this: "I don't want to discuss this subject. Daniel Craig is Bond now, NOT me. Please focus your attention to his tennure as 007". Instead, Mr Elba is fuelling the rumours himself by constantly 'thanking' his fans, and by actually talking about the subject continuously. Perhaps he thinks it's good for his career, but I think he's damaging all the positive legacy that's surrounding his person.

It's less about "there were days" vs. now times are different, than about individuals. I also wouldn't say it's about "guts" at all to divert attention away from oneself and not openly court a role already held by another actor, it's about manners and respect. I haven't followed what Elba has been doing or saying except what I've read here, but sounds pretty ungentlemanly by those reports, including yours. Even in modern days, some actors when asked the Bond question just politely put an end to it and point out there's a guy doing the role already and doing a great job (Bale for instance did that), some others (Elba apparently) like the extra attention and speculation and fanning the flames - I don't know why, exactly, I can't believe he thinks that would actually get him the role, just makes him look desperate for attention and disrespectful towards Craig.

Btw, Gustav... I don't post that much most of the time, and I'm sick at the moment (just a shitty flu) so don't have much energy anyway, but I'd like to take this opportunity to say that even though I don't always agree with you (nor with anyone else of course), I love your bubbly enthusiasm amidst a lot of negativity and whining and rudeness and hostility and people banging each other over the head for having different opinions that one sees around here. The positivity is appreciated. :)
    Tuulia wrote: »
    , I love your bubbly enthusiasm amidst a lot of negativity and whining and rudeness and hostility and people banging each other over the head for having different opinions that one sees around here. The positivity is appreciated. :)

This.

• edited September 2015 Posts: 3,333
    OK, I've read the majority of @dmwalker's posts and I don't quite get why some members here are being so belligerent. What he says about movie contracts is true, and "we" don't know what DC's contract states as no one here has seen it. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Craig didn't return as I don't believe for a minute that he chose acting as a career move just to make popcorn blockbuster movies. I know for a fact he only did Tomb Raider for the money and in the hope that it would raise his stock so he could work with established directors he admired, he told me that himself.

What I dont know is what he truly thinks of Bond because I only met him six years before CR. I never got the impression he was a Bond fan though. What I do think is that the Bond money was just too good an opportunity for him to turn down, so he took it on without thinking too far ahead and what ramifications it would have on him making smaller and more personal pictures that I know he would rather make.

For my money, I see Craig as a serious actor and I believe it when he says he's been trying to get out of the franchise since he first signed on to do CR. Now, that doesn't mean he won't make Bond 25 as anything could happen inbetween now and the next one. The paycheck will help, though I doubt money is that much of a draw anymore as it once was for him. I think there might be some loyalty thing going on between him and Babs, and the fact that Mendes returned for SP helped ease his discomfort in the Bond spotlight but that doesn't mean he's happy to continue in the future. If anything, it's slightly taken it off him and put the pressure onto Mendes. Maybe he already thinks he's fulfilled his obligations to Babs? We don't know as none of us are privy to what goes on behind the scenes, even though some "insiders" will have an inkling of what's really going down. It's really a case of whether they choose to share it with any of us.

So ease-up on @dmwalker. He's taken the time to inform you of what an insider has told him, and though you might not like what you hear there's no reason for frothing at the mouth and being uncivil towards him. I salute you, sir, as you've remained dignified and eloquent with your responses, even under unprovoked enemy fire. It's not easy with some of the folk that reside here day and night. Whether you believe what he says or not, let's keep things civil here.

Now, if Craig doesn't want to continue and we have a new Bond for 25 then I hope at least they start with someone a little younger, much like Connery in Dr No. Yeah, I'm happy with Craig right now even though I wasn't impressed with SF and I'm hoping SP is a better end product than what we got previously. Only time will tell, but it's not too long to wait before we have our answers.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Why are you happy with that? :)
    You haven't even seen "SPECTRE" yet. Craig might be astonishing us all to such an extend, that we're all begging him to stay for more films.

Not likely.
    bondsum wrote: »
    So ease-up on @dmwalker. He's taken the time to inform you of what an insider has told him, and though you might not like what you hear there's no reason for frothing at the mouth and being uncivil towards him.

It's not about Daniel Craig and his contract.

dmwalker said, that his source told him, dass the script wouldn't allow Daniel Craig to return in a future Bond movie.

We all know, that Craig himself may say: "This is it!"

But dmwalker's source says, that it's not possible for him to return after SPECTRE.
    And THAT's the only thing I think is bullshit. Because only Bond's death could lead to that. And I don't think Bond will die in SPECTRE.
    Yes, I read that bit also, @Jan1985 but I haven't read the final version of the script, or any previous ones for that matter, so I can't say if it's BS or not. Has anyone read the final shooting script here to call what he says BS? I don't know the answer? His responses don't strike me as that of a provocateur. I honestly believe what he's saying is what he's been told. Is his source pulling a fast one on him, we don't know.

The reason I mentioned the contracts is that they were used as a defence in recent posts as to why DC would be returning.
    Yes, I read that bit also, @Jan1985 but I haven't read the final version of the script, or any previous ones for that matter, so I can't say if it's BS or not. Has anyone read the final shooting script here to call what he says BS? I don't know the answer? His responses don't strike me as that of a provocateur. I honestly believe what he's saying is what he's been told. Is his source pulling a fast one on him, we don't know.

The reason I mentioned the contracts is that they were used as a defence in recent posts as to why DC would be returning.

Yes, I read the december draft of the script, the latest one that got leaked.
    And you can do an interpretation of the events at the end of the movie in many different ways, but in no way it forbids the character to return in the version of Daniel Craig.

So if Craig leaves the franchise, he does it because he doesn't want to do another, not because it isn't possible for him to return.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    So ease-up on @dmwalker. He's taken the time to inform you of what an insider has told him, and though you might not like what you hear there's no reason for frothing at the mouth and being uncivil towards him.

It's not about Daniel Craig and his contract.

dmwalker said, that his source told him, dass the script wouldn't allow Daniel Craig to return in a future Bond movie.

We all know, that Craig himself may say: "This is it!"

But dmwalker's source says, that it's not possible for him to return after SPECTRE.
    And THAT's the only thing I think is bullshit. Because only Bond's death could lead to that. And I don't think Bond will die in SPECTRE.

It's a ridiculous rumour. Sam Mendes has said Spectre is an origin story meaning a pre curser to the Bond adventures that followed forgetting about the years within Flemings novels. How can you have an origin story and kill Bond or retire him by the end of the film. Rumour goes against the directors own words. I think I would rather take Mendes words.
This discussion has been closed.