Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Really? well duh.. yes but any casting whether for a real or fictional character unless otherwise noted usually stipulates a description or a specific race or sex or whatever.

I guess since Bond is fictional Jessica Alba can play Bond.. would add a certain slant to the sex scenes.

No wait ..can't do that Alba is American. Sorry...
    Do you see any difference between recasting a character's physical appearance vs recasting gender?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Getafix wrote: »
    Clive Owen is so boring on screen. Charisma free zone.

So is Craig, imo. Owen could have been good, or not. Despite taking on some Bond-ish roles, I never got the feeling that Owen was interested in actually being Bond.

What is it you feel Craig needs to be doing to convey he's a charismatic Bond?

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Sark wrote: »
    Really? well duh.. yes but any casting whether for a real or fictional character unless otherwise noted usually stipulates a description or a specific race or sex or whatever.

I guess since Bond is fictional Jessica Alba can play Bond.. would add a certain slant to the sex scenes.

No wait ..can't do that Alba is American. Sorry...
    Do you see any difference between recasting a character's physical appearance vs recasting gender?

Yet another dumb question from you. I'm done with you.

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    It's a legitimate question since you equated changing Bond's gender to his skin color.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I think the most important trait for a Bond actor is to

1) have the essence of Fleming's original character

While at the same time

2) being charismatic on and off screen

Which is why someone like Hiddleston would be a good (and profitable) choice for Bond. I don't see why Bond must be an unknown, EON is in a great position and can chose whomever they please.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

While at the same time

Which is why someone like Hiddleston would be a good (and profitable) choice for Bond. I don't see why Bond must be an unknown, EON is in a great position and can chose whomever they please.

Its not for Budget but more for making their own star and not letting any actor eclipsing the character

edited August 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Sark wrote: »
    It's a legitimate question since you equated changing Bond's gender to his skin color.

Its sarcasm ..surely you understand sarcasm. I am not equating changing Bond sex or skin color to anything.

Please stop harassing me.. I am not sure what point you are trying to make but I am done with you.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

So is Craig, imo. Owen could have been good, or not. Despite taking on some Bond-ish roles, I never got the feeling that Owen was interested in actually being Bond.

I don't totally disagree with you. He's been overhyped by a lot of people as this amazing actor. He's not. But there is a consistency and plausibility to his performance which is nice after what came before. Also, I can't really think of anyone who'd be doing a better job right now.

If we were x number of films in his run, James Purefoy. I say a number of film in, becuase at 51 now, he isn't going to be Bond. Shame really, as I feel Purefoy would have made a superb Bond.
    doubleoego wrote: »

What is it you feel Craig needs to be doing to convey he's a charismatic Bond?

Show some charisma. I'm not expecting him to over exert himself, just a little will do.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

While at the same time

Why is being Charismatic off screen important?? Connery is considered the best, off screen just appeared arrogant never Charismatic.
    I hope chiwetel ejiofor plays the next Felix Leiter post Dan.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,425

While at the same time

Why is being Charismatic off screen important?? Connery is considered the best, off screen just appeared arrogant never Charismatic.

I think we're talking about on-screen primarily. I don't personally care what he does off screen.

Craig definitely has presence on screen but there is a bit of likeability missing. He doesn't carry me along with him or have me rooting for him. I feel quite detached when watching him.

• RC7RC7
    Craig definitely has presence on screen but there is a bit of likeability missing. He doesn't carry me along with him or have me rooting for him. I feel quite detached when watching him.

He's a Bond I admire, but not the one I'd like to be.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139
    @Getafix, that may change for you once SP comes out.

While at the same time

I think we're talking about on-screen primarily. I don't personally care what he does off screen.

Just out of interest, What about Layer Cake? Munich or Defiance? do you not root for him?
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 1,661
    I didn't know Antony Starr (Banshee) tested. Don't get me wrong, EON hired the right man, but I'd still be interested in seeing that alternate universe CR.

With a name like Starr you'd think he'd be destined for movie stardom. ;))

While at the same time

Just out of interest, What about Layer Cake? Munich or Defiance? do you not root for him?

Thought he was very good in Layer Cake. I liked Munich but don't particularly remember him in it. Haven't seen defiance.

He is not a 'sympathetic' actor to me. That's not necessarily a criticism. It just means he personally doesn't draw me in and get me on side. I felt the same with TGWTDT.

I think it's a reflection of his personality. He is not looking to make friends or for people to like him. That's his Bond and I respect that. It's just I'm never gonna be rooting for him. I'm coldly observing. Sometimes that's enjoyable but its definitely not the kind of thrill you get watching Connery or Rog.

Funnily enough Connery I think had a similar personality in that he was not setting out to please or win people over. But he's one of those actors you can't help liking whatever he does. May be thats charisma.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    In Munich Craig doesn't make much of an impression, that character could have been played by any other actor.
    At least he can say he has been in a Steven Spielberg movie.
    But so can Vin Diesel and his performance was memorable.

Defiance is a good movie with Liev Schreiber once more shining. But Craig almost ruins the movie, a bad case of casting error.

Layer Cake on the other hand is responsible for Craig becoming Bond and rightfully so.
    It's like a warm-up for Craig to play Bond really.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I used to wonder about James Purefoy, until I saw him in The Following. Then I knew he couldn't carry a big film series like Bond. Craig on the other hand has nothing more to prove.
  • RC7RC7
    Craig is great when he's relaxed, such as in the dinner scene with Vesper after the game. Where he loses me is with the pouts and swagger. It always pulls me out of the scene. There's a brief moment in the SP trailer, where he's presumably walking through the new MI6 and he combines both. It just looks odd and very unnatural.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,425
    RC7 wrote: »
    Craig is great when he's relaxed, such as in the dinner scene with Vesper after the game. Where he loses me is with the pouts and swagger. It always pulls me out of the scene. There's a brief moment in the SP trailer, where he's presumably walking through the new MI6 and he combines both. It just looks odd and very unnatural.

I thought exactly the same. He's strutting. There's a touch of the Saturday Night Fever peacock about it.

I think it's partly a symptom of his success. His own confidence is coming through in his portrayal. I prefer when he reins it in - that slightly up tight military thing he had going in CR and QoS.

I think what we're witnessing is that late performance transformation we've seen with all the long running Bonds, where their performance morphs into a sort of exaggerated version of their interpretation, mixed with their own personal swagger and sense of ease in the role, a la Connery in DAF and Brosnan in DAD.

They're no longer worried about proving anything and their performances become a bit baggier, more expansive. They're grown men playing a fantasy super spy - it always runs the risk of just becoming a bit of an in joke. The earnestness of a new actor out to prove himself is what makes a lot of the early entries by each actor so fresh. Sometimes the later films can be fun and sometimes it can look lazy. Will be interesting to see in SP
    I'm a fan of Craig ...so my opinion is totally different.

Usually these Craig detractors are Dalton fans. Just noticing that ..not judging at all. To each his own.
    I think there are more Dalton fans who appreciate Craig moreso than SOME Brosnan fans.
  • RC7RC7
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Usually these Craig detractors are Dalton fans. Just noticing that ..not judging at all. To each his own.

I don't know if this is directly referencing the above posts, but if it is I'd say neither are Craig 'detractors', just 'commentators'.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2015 Posts: 13,912

I don't know whether this is directed as me, but i'll jump in anyway. I am a Dalton fan that also strongly dislikes Craig as Bond, though not just him, but the direction of his films too. I don't see what that has to do with Dalton, as they aren't that alike.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

For the amount of hate that Brosnan tends to get around here, I don't think it's fair to call out someone for not liking Connery or Craig or any of the actors.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    People can like or dislike whomever they like. Or dislike.

It is not a religion and even if it was, that is still my stance.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I have to say I'm a Craig and Dalton fan. Both are fantastic . :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I have to say I'm a Craig and Dalton fan. Both are fantastic . :)

83,3 per cent of the Bond actors are.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Glad to have it confirmed. ;)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Oh dear, I'm a fan of the movies and of the actors that are in it.

My Top 6 movies are GE, TLD, OHMSS, CR, OP, FRWL
    So I'm a fan of all 6 actors!

I'm more critical of Craig and Connery than of Dalton, Moore or Brosnan though!