Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

BAIN123 wrote: »
    The Miami chase is probably my favourite action sequence in CR.

I'd happily chop out the whole of the Miami sequence. Just adds unnecessarily to the story, making Bond directly responsible for Le Chiffre having to enter the card game could've been done in a far more elegant and concise way.

I agree. The Miami sequence just seems superfluous and forced in for the sake of having a big action scene.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The Thames Boat chase isn't that great.

I agree. It's decent, but I wouldn't call it a great moment by any means. I think that the scenes leading up to the chase is more interesting.

I agree completely.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    My least favourite Bond films are FYEO and TB
    The Aston Martin Vanquish is one of the best bond cars of all time
    Dr. No is near the bottom of my bond ranking and a 7/10 film overall
    The best Le Chiffre was played by Peter Lorre
    Maximillian Largo was better than Emilio Largo
    Fatima Blush is just as good as Fiona Volpe
    AVTAK is one of Roger Moore's best films
    I prefer Dalton and Craig to Connery
    Melina Havelock from FYEO is in the bottom 5 bond girls
    Renard was the last great henchman of the series
    Nigel Small Fawcett is one of the greatest allies of all time
    The best part of FYEO is the PTS

My least favourite Bond films are FYEO and TB
    The Aston Martin Vanquish is one of the best bond cars of all time
    Dr. No is near the bottom of my bond ranking and a 7/10 film overall
    The best Le Chiffre was played by Peter Lorre
    Maximillian Largo was better than Emilio Largo
    Fatima Blush is just as good as Fiona Volpe
    AVTAK is one of Roger Moore's best films
    I prefer Dalton and Craig to Connery
    Melina Havelock from FYEO is in the bottom 5 bond girls
    Renard was the last great henchman of the series
    Nigel Small Fawcett is one of the greatest allies of all time
    The best part of FYEO is the PTS

Some entertaining ideas there
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    trevanian wrote: »
    Not a fan of the miami thing, largely because it lacks the emotional connection that I mentioned above as being present in LTK's finale. We're just chasing another faceless guy in a feeling-way-too-DIEHARD way
    Ha, was there ever a film more desperate to rip off Die Hard than LTK? That truck chase was nothing more than a poor imitation of Raiders complete with gimmicks. The Miami sequence, despite it's shortcomings, is downright stellar in comparison.
    pachazo wrote: »
    trevanian wrote: »
    Not a fan of the miami thing, largely because it lacks the emotional connection that I mentioned above as being present in LTK's finale. We're just chasing another faceless guy in a feeling-way-too-DIEHARD way
    Ha, was there ever a film more desperate to rip off Die Hard than LTK? That truck chase was nothing more than a poor imitation of Raiders complete with gimmicks. The Miami sequence, despite it's shortcomings, is downright stellar in comparison.

I thought it was Bond poaching from ALL Joel Silver projects, but more LETHAL WEAPON than DIE HARD, and probably less of an offender than L&LD/blacksploitation. Main thing is that it actually gave those Silver actors like Grand L Bush and especially Davi (the two FBI guys in DIE HARD) some meatier bits.

If you just wanna talk RAIDERS rehash, Miami is it, except there's no freshness or excitement.

• Nothing wrong with poaching from Raiders in my book. Craig's costume from the sequence is no coincidence, just missing the Fedora. To each their own but like I said before it's my favorite action sequence from the Craig era, although not the best which I would say is the Madagascar sequence.

I thought them pulling it off without any big explosion involving the tanker was pretty fresh and the ending payoff with the bomber blowing himself up is the best part.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139
    I really don't like Bond being in the USA, although the only time I didn't have a problem with it was in GF and to a certain degree Bond being in Miami in CR but that Miami action set piece could have been more tolerable had it been 2 to 3 minutes shorter.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Birdleson, I will argue and say that that was the Bond of the 60's, the man who didn't like change, much like how he used to smoke like crazy in the novels and earlier films and now, in the year 2015, he doesn't and probably never will again.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I agree with that. I just don't like it.

Neither do I, don't worry. You're not alone in not liking it (Bond changing, that is. I don't necessarily mind the gadgets: some are great and made some iconic scenes, like you said, and others are pretty bad and unnecessary.)
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    This thread is fascinating.

Here's probably one of the more controversial views I hold about the Bond films: Outside of the two title tracks, I think the soundtrack for On Her Majesty's Secret Service is barebones and totally overrated. I believe the most impressive piece of music in the Bond series belongs to John Barry in The Living Daylights. It's a treasure trove of everything his music means to the series with a diverse set of brilliant motifs that fit a variety of thematic tones.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Mansfield wrote: »
    This thread is fascinating.

Here's probably one of the more controversial views I hold about the Bond films: Outside of the two title tracks, I think the soundtrack for On Her Majesty's Secret Service is barebones and totally overrated. I believe the most impressive piece of music in the Bond series belongs to John Barry in The Living Daylights. It's a treasure trove of everything his music means to the series with a diverse set of brilliant motifs that fit a variety of thematic tones.

The Living Daylights has the best soundtrack of all Bond movies. Spot on.

OHMSS may be a bit overrated overall but there are some tracks that are that good that the whole soundtrack appears to be great.
    OHMSS itself is absolutely the best track ever done for a Bond movie, by far!
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    TLD soundtrack is fantastic. Neck and neck with OP and OHMSS. with TB nipping at their heels
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    My controversial opinion (although I don't know what the popular opinion is because it's not discussed much) is that I don't like the Binder titles and that Kleinman is the most consistent positive about all the 90's and beyond films he is involved with.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,756
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I really don't like Bond being in the USA, although the only time I didn't have a problem with it was in GF and to a certain degree Bond being in Miami in CR but that Miami action set piece could have been more tolerable had it been 2 to 3 minutes shorter.

Thought I was the only one. I hate it too, most of the USA is pretty ugly and Bond's elegance doesn't bond with his environment.

This is the main reason I hate DAF and the last act of Goldfinger. Sunny days on wide streets of asphalt and urban sprawl is one of the ugliest things ever IMO.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The airport scene in CR bothers me slightly because I live in South Florida and have flown in and out of Miami airport numerous times and its not even remotely close to what it actually looks like.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Fictitious locations in Bond films take me out of the film, especially in the case of Isthmus City in LTK.

Thought I was the only one. I hate it too, most of the USA is pretty ugly and Bond's elegance doesn't bond with his environment.

This is the main reason I hate DAF and the last act of Goldfinger. Sunny days on wide streets of asphalt and urban sprawl is one of the ugliest things ever IMO.

I Agree that they've chosen the US locations pretty poorly and Bond doesn't seem to suit the US, but I don't think that most of the US is pretty ugly. Lots of Beautiful locations - just they're unused by Bond.
    w2bond wrote: »
    My controversial opinion (although I don't know what the popular opinion is because it's not discussed much) is that I don't like the Binder titles and that Kleinman is the most consistent positive about all the 90's and beyond films he is involved with.

Interesting. I think some of Binder's titles are great but others samey and repetitive. Some look downright cheap and naff.

I think Kleinman's CR titles are the best. I'd prefer if he kept things simpler. I am not a huge fan of his other ones.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Fictitious locations in Bond films take me out of the film, especially in the case of Isthmus City in LTK.

I sort of agree. San Monique, Nambutu etc is like seeing the cameras and microphones, it is announcing loud and clear that it is all just make-believe.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London

I'm with you there. Besides DAD (my worst title sequence), all of Kleinman's titles are way ahead of the Binder/MK12 titles. Binder's kinda hit (TSWLM), miss (OHMSS) or samey (MR). MK12 are just terrible.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I'm with you there. Besides DAD (my worst title sequence), all of Kleinman's titles are way ahead of the Binder/MK12 titles. Binder's kinda hit (TSWLM), miss (OHMSS) or samey (MR). MK12 are just terrible.
    I prefer Kleinman's titles over Binder's too. Binder made some very good ones, but Kleinman's are superior.
    No idea why MK12 were chosen for QoS, clearly Forster (I'm assuming it was his decision) has terrible tastes.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    MK12 still did a better job than Binder ever did.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    QoS' ending comes close to matching CR's.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Koskov and Whitaker were great villains, despite smiling in every scene.
  • RC7RC7
    echo wrote: »

Not controversial. The scene with Yusef is excellent. CR at White's house is also excellent. SF is a bit of fluff in comparison, for me. (Unless you're referring to the action scenes?)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Not many feel as you and I do here.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RC7 wrote: »

Not controversial. The scene with Yusef is excellent. CR at White's house is also excellent. SF is a bit of fluff in comparison, for me. (Unless you're referring to the action scenes?)

I think SF ranks last out of Craig's endings so far. There was just something a bit clunky about it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Harris was PC casting for PC's sake. There are much better actresses out there (black and white). Whishaw is a good actor but miscast as Q. I'm not enthalled by either in their respective roles to be honest. There just both 'ok'.

I agree that Harris seems like a weak link in SF, but I'm holding out hope for an improvement in her capabilities in SP. From the last trailer, she seems to have upped her game this time.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited August 2015 Posts: 5,958
    RC7 wrote: »

I think SF ranks last out of Craig's endings so far. There was just something a bit clunky about it.

It was overwritten, especially the MP scene. The M scene fares a lot better.

Not controversial enough? How about: "The ending of QoS redeemed the entire movie."
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Not many feel as you and I do here.

Figured it would be somewhat controversial, but surprised that it's already been discussed.