Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

I am guessing we have atleast another month if not 2 until we find out finally who has recorded the film title song?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,043
    Radiohead are one of the only bands on the planet that sends internet into overdrive when a new album or material is announced. They are far from has beens.

Some of you should really do your research before making such comments.

Why use past his prime Cornell? I really like YKMN but seriously Chris was well past his prime when that came out, is this now your criteria for choosing artists.

All of the artists used in the Brosnan era were has beens for that matter well past their prime.

Jack White is an exception as he has stayed contemporary and popular since the rise of The White Stripes and still grabs column space, just like Radiohead.

Adele is the first time in years that EON actually picked a global superstar at the prime of her career, she won't be that big again, just look at Dido.

Seriously @dominicgreene I'm waiting for your suggestions but seeing you preferred Ellie Goulding over a legendary band like the Kinks earlier in the thread I can only wonder what rubbish is clogging up your IPOD or whatever digital device you use to punish your ears with.

Radiohead are regarded as one of the most original and influential acts of the last 30 years, say what you like but isn't going to change that even if you prefer a nice simple tune over something with a bit more substance.

Those visual whatever things some of you are using are such a cliche and a shortcut to actually saying something intelligent. Seriously is the generation that is going to inherit the earth, we are all going to hell in a handcart.

It's going to be very interesting to see who actually makes the cut for the song. Craig had huge influence by picking both Mendes and Bardem for SF with EON's approval. I would bet Mendes and in particular Craig can't stand the thought of soft pop types like Smith or what's her name neither of whom have an inch of street cred in the music business. The politics of who won out in the selection process must be interesting. As for Adele, she was so huge at the time SF was in development, she had to be an easy market driven decision in the inner ranks. I'm afraid I'd tolerate virtually anyone but Smith. He is so totally wrong for SP, it is just nuts.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    RH are actual musicians. You know with talent... not fabricated.

Nope, "actual" musicians are John Barry, Ennio Morricone, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Hans Zimmer, Shostakovich, etc.

No actual musicians are anybody that plays music. Doesn't matter whether you or I like them or not. Grant it your list is impressive ...
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,756

Nope, "actual" musicians are John Barry, Ennio Morricone, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Hans Zimmer, Shostakovich, etc.

@Shardlake , this is what my IPOD used to be (before Deezer). I like most modern songs, I just don't put emphasis on lyrics as you might. I think Goulding, SIA, Calvin Harris songs might not have amazing lyrics but they have a great melody. I have a few exceptions when it comes to songs where the lyrics I truly enjoy the song for, like Jim Croce, but if I truly want to listen to an amazing song I'll listen to Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 2. My dad is classic rock/alternative fan and he's made me listen to lots of that, I appreciate it but it's not my thing.

Anyways, my ideal choice for Spectre would be Florence Welsh. Just listen to Various Storms and Saints (only on Deezer or Spotify) and Seven Devils. Would be my ideal singer.
    I think Florence is an obvious fit for Craig's Bond.

Back in the 90s I wish they'd got Portishead of Massive Attack to do one. Missed opportunities. Pretty much all the Brosnan era songs are awful.
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think Florence is an obvious fit for Craig's Bond.

Back in the 90s I wish they'd got Portishead of Massive Attack to do one. Missed opportunities. Pretty much all the Brosnan era songs are awful.

Massive Attack would've been great.
    I understand ellie Goulding record company have registered her next song as Spy a thought as come to mind perhaps this is not for spectre but for a spy spoof by sacha baron cohen called grimsby about a top spy joining forces with his football hooligan brother out march 2016.
    This seems a better fit for her very similar to Robbie Williams doing the title song for Johnny English any thoughts people?
    I don't it's Ellie Goulding, as all photos etc she's posted are related to her new album which she's just finished.

@Shardlake , this is what my IPOD used to be (before Deezer). I like most modern songs, I just don't put emphasis on lyrics as you might. I think Goulding, SIA, Calvin Harris songs might not have amazing lyrics but they have a great melody. I have a few exceptions when it comes to songs where the lyrics I truly enjoy the song for, like Jim Croce, but if I truly want to listen to an amazing song I'll listen to Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 2. My dad is classic rock/alternative fan and he's made me listen to lots of that, I appreciate it but it's not my thing.

Anyways, my ideal choice for Spectre would be Florence Welsh. Just listen to Various Storms and Saints (only on Deezer or Spotify) and Seven Devils. Would be my ideal singer.

That Radiohead aren't musicians comment is just plain dumb.

Are you aware regardless that all the members can more than competently play their instruments and also write that Jonny Greenwood one of the most talented guitarists of his generation also scored the last 3 Paul Thomas Anderson films?

What's next Prince isn't a musician despite being able to play multiple instruments, write, sing and perform.

Classical is amazing and massively huge influence on all genres but it hasn't got exclusiveness on who and who isn't a musician, you should probably look up the dictionary definition of the word.

A musician (or instrumentalist) is a person who plays a musical instrument or is musically talented, or one who composes, conducts, or performs music. Musicians can specialize in any musical style, and some musicians play in a variety of different styles.

I believe more than your hallowed selection fit into that bracket.

Shardlake wrote: »

Are you aware regardless that all the members can more than competently play their instruments and also write that Jonny Greenwood one of the most talented guitarists of his generation also scored the last 3 Paul Thomas Anderson films?

What's next Prince isn't a musician despite being able to play multiple instruments, write, sing and perform.

Classical is amazing and massively huge influence on all genres but it hasn't got exclusiveness on who and who isn't a musician, you should probably look up the dictionary definition of the word.

A musician (or instrumentalist) is a person who plays a musical instrument or is musically talented, or one who composes, conducts, or performs music. Musicians can specialize in any musical style, and some musicians play in a variety of different styles.

When did I say Radiohead weren't musicians? I just said they're garbage. I responded to the last comment because someone said Radiohead are "real musicians" implying that the music I listen to is inferior, and so my latter comment was a snap back because those who I listed are "more musicians" than Radiohead.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

When did I say Radiohead weren't musicians? I just said they're garbage. I responded to the last comment because someone said Radiohead are "real musicians" implying that the music I listen to is inferior, and so my latter comment was a snap back because those who I listed are "more musicians" than Radiohead.

I didn't say the music you listen to was inferior (?). ..I was taking a jab at Goulding ...now if you like her that's fine but eh she sounded too produced from what I was gathering for my taste.
    I still love the slow-tempo, sultry "Skyfall". But "YKMN" and "TWINE" are lovely tracks too.

Let's hope that, if Radiohead is chosen, they come up with a memorable melody, that is easy hummable....
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    So, what's the consensus on who's in the running yet? Is there any chance for the Arctic Monkeys?
  • So, what's the consensus on who's in the running yet? Is there any chance for the Arctic Monkeys?

Doubt it. Roger Friedman (who has been reliable in the past) said in his article that his sources say the choice is "so random and out of left field, you wouldn't believe it." I think AM are a pretty popular choice.
    Lets see so it could be

Peter Gabriel
    Yes
    Rush
    Neal morse
    Phil Collins

Yes a Progressive Rock Bond Theme I like this Idea.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Random and out of left field? I really hope it isn t Leftfield.

Fields of the Nephilim would be great!
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.

Then bring on that Beethoven fella. Or the Tchaikovsky lad, although he sounds Russian.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Risico007, don't tease me with the beauty of a Rush theme song.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 157
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Lets see so it could be

Peter Gabriel
    Yes
    Rush
    Neal morse
    Phil Collins

You just forgot Marillion. 4:09 onwards :)
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    I have to admit - although loving the hell out of OK Computer - the Arctic Monkeys as well as Ellie Goulding are capable of contributing to the Bond music. I'm much more doubtful regarding Radiohead since they "turned a Kid A" as they say and are only releasing more experimental and ambient material for 15 years straight. Their sweet spot would have been in between The Bends and OK Computer where they were able to pull of something ambient AND catchy.

The Monkeys have broadened their repertoire substantially and including the Last Shadow Puppets can even deliver something truly cinematic. With Goulding she's got a pretty expressive voice and is good with hook lines too. If she'd let herself in for a Bond tune it could also work. I don't believe her odds though since all the dropped hints look like carefully dropped breadcrumbs for her own promotion. And it contradicts what Mendes said about the theme already recorded - and not only written and demo'ed!

Left field together with those anonymous rumors still let me believe in the Monkeys.
    So, what's the consensus on who's in the running yet? Is there any chance for the Arctic Monkeys?

Doubt it. Roger Friedman (who has been reliable in the past) said in his article that his sources say the choice is "so random and out of left field, you wouldn't believe it." I think AM are a pretty popular choice.

I like that. Could be very interesting. B-)

This is your quote so don't deny it

Anyway end of the discussion, popular commercial music today is a joke and you are welcome to it, if melody is all you want and nothing else your welcome to the crappy pop music out there.

This is your quote so don't deny it

Anyway end of the discussion, popular commercial music today is a joke and you are welcome to it, if melody is all you want and nothing else your welcome to the crappy pop music out there.

Actual is in quotation marks... but that's fine.

Yes, thank you, I'm sure your parents told you the same thing.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Lets see so it could be

Peter Gabriel
    Yes
    Rush
    Neal morse
    Phil Collins

Well, Peter Gabriel would be a genius choice! Then we could be really hearing something different! He did a song for the movie Wall-E, end credits song.
    I wonder if the title song is going to have maybe a bit of influence from the ohmss theme?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Getafix wrote: »
    Pretty much all the Brosnan era songs are awful.

Ohh, now you made me cry...

Goldeneye is up there with best Bond songs ever in my opinion.
    TWINE by Garbage is also one that can easily be put into a Top 10 list, sure somewhere at the bottom of it. But Top 10 it is.
    As for Tomorrow Never Dies, I like that song very much, I just don't like Sheryl Crow singing it because it did not fit her a bit. But kd.lang's Surrender is absolutely stunning and would make my Top 10 if it had been used as the main theme.
    Die Another Day, now that is the most awful Bond song ever right beside Another Way To Die.
    The song has been recorded long ago according to various people involved in the production of Bond.

I suspect they have taken Taylor Swift because she is the Adele of 2014/2015, they sure wanted to repeat that level of success for the Bond song and that can be reached easily with Swift who seems to be loved by a very great lot of people if you look at her unbelievable record sales.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,261
    Goldeneye is up there with best Bond songs ever in my opinion.
    TWINE by Garbage is also one that can easily be put into a Top 10 list, sure somewhere at the bottom of it. But Top 10 it is.
    As for Tomorrow Never Dies, I like that song very much, I just don't like Sheryl Crow singing it because it did not fit her a bit. But kd.lang's Surrender is absolutely stunning and would make my Top 10 if it had been used as the main theme.
    Die Another Day, now that is the most awful Bond song ever right beside Another Way To Die.

I completely agree with BondJasonBond006, from GE and TWINE (and Kd Lang's SURRENDER) as well as for DAD and AWTD being completey awful IMHO.
    And hopefully it is NOT Helene Fischer...
    And hopefully it is NOT Helene Fischer...

OMG, Helene Fischer....lol....now that would be a novelty...
    (bawling out: "Atemlos, durch die Nacht....." ...lol...

You give me an idea here that urgently should be put through to Barbara Broccoli:
    Why not having different singers doing the same theme song for different language regions.
    Disney's doing this for ages.

Helene Fischer would be perfect for the German-language territories
    Taylor Swift can do it for the US/Canada
    Aleks Syntek or Juanes for Latin America
    Mylène Farmer for the French language territories
    all the same song of course in different languages