Who do YOU give 11/10? (final appreciation)

Comments

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited November 2011 Posts: 3,262
    DN: Terence Young
    FRWL: Robert Shaw
    GF: Sean Connery
    TB: Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT: Ken Adam(honorable mention to Freddie Young)
    OHMSS: John Barry
    DAF: Jill St. John
    LALD: Jane Seymour
    TMWTGG: Christopher Lee
    TSWLM: Caroline Munro
    MR: Sir Roger Moore
    FYEO: Topol
    OP: Steven Berkoff

Berkoff's portray of General Orlov has been criticized as being too OTT by some but I've always enjoyed it and found it suited the film just fine. He made a perfect Cold War-era villain as the maniacal Soviet with a thirst for power and conquest. His scene outling his plans for Russia to attack Western Europe with the Kutzov computer is one of the series' best.
    Filling in the holes....

DN: Harry Saltzman and Robert Broccoli -These gentlemen successfully brought Bond to the big screen with the deal with United Artists. Hats off. IMO, Sean does a great first time job as Bond, but he hasn't quite made it his own yet. I'd give Sean a 9/10

FRWL: Sean Connery/Terrence Young-This film oozes the the style and swagger of Young, and Connery perfectly embodies all of this. Young groomed Connery into the role, by taking him out to dinner in the posh places in London and teaching him how to dress and talk. Sean's strongest performance in the role, and easily Young's tightest (and best IMO)direction.

GF: Guy Hamilton-JobeGDG said it better than I could. GF was all about making Bond a cinematic icon, and Guy Hamilton did the job.

TB: Ted Moore-The Bond fantasy escapism is at a max in TB, no doubt in part for Ted Moore, capturing the exotic island feel of the Bahamas on film. Strangely, no one else really rises to the occassion in this film: Connery is still good, but already showing signs of auto-pilot, Young did better work on FRWL, Barry's had better scores, Largo doesn't quite have the larger than life villainy of others, and the Bond girls, for the first time in the series feel obligatory--a trend that would not let up until, possibly...ever (save for Tracy and Vesper maybe).

YOLT: Ken Adam

OHMSS: Peter Hunt

DAF: Tom Mankiewicz
    -DAF is the most humorous and entertaining Bond film of the series. Tom M. gives the film a wit, that would have otherwised nose-dived. In a rare moment of magic, somehow the ongoing acerbic sharp wit and humor not only keeps the movie afloat but actually lifts it out of the water.

LALD: George Martin
    --and maybe Ross Kananga for the crocodile hop

TMWTGG: Herve Villaichaize (Nick Nack)
    -He steals the show, upstaging even Christopher Lee, bringing a sprightly yet menacing performance throughout. Especially creepy are his loudspeaker bits during the funhouse scenes.

TSWLM: Lewis Gilbert
    -The Spy's main strength is it's grand scale. It feels like a Big movie. The director really did a fine job of embellishing this fact especially with the submarine hangar scenese.

MR: John Barry/Shirley Bassey

FYEO: The Locations

OP: Roger Moore
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DN : Sean Connery
    FRWL : Sean Connery
    GF : Desmond Llewelyn
    TB : Sean Connery
    YOLT : Ken Adam
    OHMSS : John Barry
    DAF : John Barry
    LALD : Paul McCartney
    TMWTGG : Roger Moore (close : Clifton James, John Barry, Guy Hamilton)
    TSWLM : Lewis Gilbert
    MR : Roger Moore
    FYEO : Topol
    OP : Roger Moore
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Hmmm. Good song, true (and to come up with something so lovely when dealing with a film title like that is no small feat!) BUT ... I liked the fun of this film and want to say Roger again ...

but no, I am going with Martin Grace, too. Just gotta.

• Kristina Wayborn, for being the most sensual and the most seductive woman of the film.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2011 Posts: 4,399
    I love the stunt work in this film, so my knee jerk choice would be Martin Grace..

But I can't deny that John Barry arranged one of his best works on Bond with this score - his reoccurring melody, the one used for "All Time High" is the stuff of brilliance, which makes John Barry the legend and genius that he is.

1. Terence Young - Dr. No
    2. Pedro Armendariz - From Russia With Love
    3. Gert Frobe - Goldfinger
    4. Sean Connery - Thunderball
    5. Ken Adam - You Only Live Twice
    6. Peter Hunt - On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    7. Shirley Bassey - Diamonds Are Forever
    8. Yaphet Kotto - Live And Let Die
    9. Christopher Lee - The Man With The Golden Gun
    10. Roger Moore - The Spy Who Loved Me
    11. Michael Lonsdale - Moonraker
    12. Bill Conti - For Your Eyes Only
    13. John Barry - Octopussy
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Probably the woman on the boat saying "in...out...in...out...in" but the score over that is also gorgeous so John Barry for me.

Loved the PTS part of the score too and how it stops as Bond makes his escape so we can hear the roar of that Acrostar. Great stuff
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 107
    @JobeGDG, do you think this really makes Cubby Broccoli the standout contribution to FYEO though? The film was written with someone in mind other than Moore, but Moore ended up playing the part. So couldn't you say that it was Moore, who in fact rose to the occassion, by breaking from the established tone he set for the character? Or you could also argue for John Glen, bringing the 'tone' back down to earth. It was he, after all, who edited OHMSS and harkened back to the feel of that film for FYEO.
    @JBFan626: I did consider giving it to both Moore and Glen, but ultimately decided against it. I admit that I passed on Moore in part for meta-gaming reasons: I'm trying to avoid giving '11s' to the same person more than once, and I'd already decided to—

Octopussy • Roger Moore

—do that. As you say, the man's a class act. To me, this film represents his quintessential performance as 007. But as to crediting him for "stepping up," I don't think adapting to a tonal shift constitutes "stepping up," but rather being competent in one's job as an actor. I think of it as par for the course (which is why I judge Pierce Brosnan so harshly for Die Another Day, but that's another post).

As for Glen, I just don't care for him as a director, even though he played a large part in the shift in tone. There's nothing egregious about him, but I think his work feels bland.
    I also think you could make the case that this break with tradition had already been done before with Connery in DAF, and even arguably YOLT. So I'm not sure Broccoli provided any moment of revelation, but rather changed with the times and audience opinion if anything.
    I don't agree at all as to You Only Live Twice. That film seemed, tonally, like the next step in a steady progression (albeit with different directors). As for Diamonds Are Forever, that film is probably most responsible for establishing the tradition we're talking about breaking. The powers-that-be wanted another Goldfinger, and so UA demanded Connery; a lead actor had, over the course of his tenure, become tied to a tone. (I probably should have said "different actor" instead of "new actor" in my initial post on the subject.)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Very tempted to go with Roger, but Steven Berkoff stole the show.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Who do YOU give 11/10? (OP)
    The gorilla suit.

It added some genuinely hairy moments to a film that strived to be a tense affair.

Nah, seriously, I'm with Dimi - Martin Grace is a great shout for OP...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 23,525
    FILM 14 A View To A Kill
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 23,525
    Once more I find it hard if not impossible to resist Barry's tremendous musical contribution. A bit of a boring choice then, but still a justified one IMO.

1. Terence Young
    2. Sean Connery
    3. John Barry
    4. Peter Hunt
    5. Ken Adam
    6. John Barry
    7. John Barry
    8. Jane Seymour
    9. Christopher Lee
    10. Ken Adam
    11. John Barry
    12. Maurice Binder
    13. Martin Grace
    14. John barry
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Christopher Walken.
  • Haserots gonna love this

Can I seriously find anything from A View To A Kill that justifies a 11/10 though

I used to enjoy the Duran Duran theme, but from a 2011 perespective sounds terribly outdated now

I'll go with

Walken's Max Zorin

(really struggling now)

I feel like taking some really strong drugs and adding Tanya Roberts to this, to make up some more names, but I'm afraid that's about as far as I can go
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DN : Sean Connery
    FRWL : Sean Connery
    GF : Desmond Llewelyn
    TB : Sean Connery
    YOLT : Ken Adam
    OHMSS : John Barry
    DAF : John Barry
    LALD : Paul McCartney
    TMWTGG : Roger Moore (close : Clifton James, John Barry, Guy Hamilton)
    TSWLM : Lewis Gilbert
    MR : Roger Moore
    FYEO : Topol
    OP : Roger Moore
    AVTAK : John Barry
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Oh what do to; Chris Walken is a top, top villain, but I have to give it to John Barry, the legend that is....

John Barry
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2011 Posts: 4,399
    Geee... let me give this one some thought ...hmmmm... I guess I gotta go with Christopher Walken.. :)

In all seriousness though - he is the only reason this film gets repeated viewings... he brings more charisma than the usually charismatic Moore - who at this stage looked tapped out and dried up...

Whether he's laughing at slaughtering mine workers, laughing at his own impending death or even laughing because he is happiest in the saddle - Walken brings his zaney 'A' game..

.. everyone else is outta their depth.
    haserot how dare you criticize image Roger Moore image ?
    U can't deny that Moore in OP and Moore in AVTAK look like two different people... this film lacked his usual charm and humor...

This really should have been Dalt's first bond film
  • I knew he would give Walken a mention B-)

and come on, although Moore was a fine actor and all round salt of the earth, in AVTAK he was sadly lacking and sorely out of place
    Although this is one of my least favorite Bond films, I still find Christopher Walken really enjoyable to watch. I'm not sure if it's an 11/10 but it's the closest thing to it.
  • Nothing from a View To A Kill warrants a 11/10 Bat, I think we're merely selecting the best apple from a bad bunch

I felt like including the Golden Gate bridge finale, at least in terms of build up, but Moore apeing around on the mooring rope (no pun intentional) just spoils it for me, if it was a 11/10 for adolescent humor it would get a mark or some recogntion, or even for bad acting, Roberts etc, but seeing as we have to pick the cream of the movie or standout performers only Walken can rise about anything else from this 1985 release
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Catching up:

For Your Eyes Only: Roger Moore

Octopussy: Martin Grace

A View to a Kill: John Barry
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited November 2011 Posts: 2,629
    Duran Duran.

Even Christopher Walken couldn't save this monstrasety.
  • BFGBFG
    Hello this is my first post and glad to finally become a member of MI6 Community.

I have to be honest and say that I thought AVTAK is such an underated film. Its my second fav of Moores time as 007. My 1st being For Your Eyes Only.

Zorin is a classic badguy, Stacy was nice eye candy but her screaming at the end amongst other scenes she was in was my only real complaint. I think the writers should have given her less scenes but written her with more depth.

Golden Gate Bridge was just an excellent idea for a finale and gives the title A View To A Kill a sensible meaning.
  • BFGBFG
    Very tempted to go with Roger, but Steven Berkoff stole the show.
    Agree but again Berkoff had a very limited role similar to what happened with Joe Don Baker's Whitaker in TLD.

More scenes for these two or a better script?

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    It'll be John Barry or Christopher Walken. Both of them make this rather mediocre film worth a watch. After some consideration I'll go with John Barry.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I vote for the end of Roger Moore's run as Bond.
  • And what a way for Moore to bow out after 12 glorious years too, sharing a shower with a much younger co-star that looked decidedly unsavory, 'that is not the soap' etc , urgh :-S , ooooooh!

If AVTAK had reverse order and was voted on 11/10 for unmitigated nonsense we could have some fun with this, the Tibbitt Car Wash scene, California Girls, the chase/half car through Paris etc

Sorry Roger, but bottom line is, it was a poor way to exit the franchise
  • Christopher Walken stole the show. The UZI scene at the mines sealed it.

DN - Maurice Binder
    FRWL - Daniela BIanchi
    GF - Richard Malibum
    TB - Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT - Ken Adam
    OHMSS - John Barry/George Lazenby
    DAF - None
    LALD - George Martin
    TMWTGG - Christopher Lee
    TSWLM - Albert R. Broccoli
    MR - Shirley Bassey
    FYEO - Roger Moore