Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited July 2015 Posts: 6,601
    Smitty, the way I see it, he is never nice just because he HAS to but first and foremost bwcause he WANTS to be, hence we have situations, where he is not, when he'd better be. You are right, he is decent to the bone but it seems even to show that is too private for his liking plus it seems some situations or sort of people get out his bad boy and bang, off we go. If I go psycho on him here, I would say, he is scared of being liked too much, because in his book that means just more hazzle and he just doesnt want that. In a way he is lucky, that his other films havent set the world on fire, because as someone in the press rightly said, had all his franchise efforts been a success, he would be the biggest movie star in the world. Poor DC. ;)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,554
    smitty wrote: »
    The problem is he's not at all consistent when he is out in public. At premiers and at the stage door, he is required to be professional and affable. These are controlled environments and he had no choice. It is when he is out in public on his own and some fan snaps his pic, or a pap takes a pic, and he just sometimes doesn't handle it smartly and goes off, and that is exactly when it gets into the press and he looks surly and gets bad mouthed in the press. Again, it ain't necessary, and again as Germanlady noted, he ain't going to change. Don't mistake my criticism. I'm a fan of his talent and his Bond and I'd judge that he is a decent guy which is often not the case with many actors. I Just wish he's do better with this stuff.

Actually, he's not. He can bypass all the fans and do the photo shoots only. On Broadway, many actors do not stop and just go straight to the limo. There's no obligation on his part to sign autographs. My guess is that he does so because he appreciates the fans and the masses. In general, as seen in the work he did for Orbis (watch that short documentary, if you haven't), DC is a good, kind-hearted person...and very funny. Sometimes his sense of humor is mistaken for rudeness.
    TripAces wrote: »

Oh, Craig is very crass. He has a love/hate relationship with the press. You should read the strong "back the eff off" with an interviewer in a Cowboys and Aliens article a few years ago. I love DC to pieces, but did he not realize his private life was no longer going to exist after taking this role? I'm sure he did.

At the same time, many actors/actresses who've worked with him have said he is awesome on set. Even Waltz recently stated how surprised he was at Craig's preparation. I became a big DC fan after reading the complementary things Rooney Mara had to say about him, especially in regards to their sex scenes.

I assume you didn't mean that bolded bit literally. :)

Of course actors can and do have private lives, no matter what roles they play. How protective they are of their privacy is mostly up to them. I mean that one doesn't need to invite any journalists or photographers to one's home, or release any private photos of weddings, children, etc., or talk about private life on late night talk shows or magazine interviews, and so on - some choose to, but it's their choice. Actors - even famous ones - can lead normal lives in a lot of privacy if they choose to. Even paparazzi leave them alone most of the time, ordinary life isn't exciting enough to earn much money from.

Of course there will be increased public interest with roles such as Bond, but that's mostly some paparazzi as well as ordinary people taking pictures in public places and releasing those pictures, and people asking for photos and autographs all over the place (including sometimes when they really should have some common sense not to). There are better ways to deal with those things than Craig's, yes, but oh well. In any case pics and autographs are just that, they don't mean one has no privacy left. It can obviously be somewhat irritating and intrusive at times, but still, not a major matter.

Thanks @bondjames and @Germanlady I agree with you post also. Bottom line, his inability to adjust to the promo game and when he is out in public is really sad because it is so unnecessary. He's obviously not gonna change at this point. As noted, his co-stars all consider him affable and totally professional on the set. Why the heck can't he exercise better judgement and transfer that conduct consistently to his public persona and promo work. Most of the time he is fine, but sometimes he's, well, a jerk. There are worse trials in life than occasionally have to tolerate fans and paps when you are out public, giving interviews and making $20m for your latest film. He makes himself look surly and unprofessional which one gets is not true when he is working or with friends. It's just so unnecessary, and as a fan of his talent, really disappointing and unnecessary.

So true.

I suppose it's a personality issue, he's simply not able to deal with it better for whatever reason. It is what it is.

And I'm a fan as well.

I'm actually amazed by how patient and gracious some are with people asking for autographs or pics in front of hotels, at airports, on the street, etc. (= not promo situations, not work time), or how much they try to do it "at work" - not just the bare minimum (those situations where their colleagues either only give a few token autographs, or don't at all - and they sign and sign and sign). I wouldn't even ask for anybody's autograph or pic (I've never properly understood why people do), I'm just saying that as an interested observer.

I'm not sure how well I'd deal with it myself.
    TripAces wrote: »
    The problem is he's not at all consistent when he is out in public. At premiers and at the stage door, he is required to be professional and affable. These are controlled environments and he had no choice. It is when he is out in public on his own and some fan snaps his pic, or a pap takes a pic, and he just sometimes doesn't handle it smartly and goes off, and that is exactly when it gets into the press and he looks surly and gets bad mouthed in the press. Again, it ain't necessary, and again as Germanlady noted, he ain't going to change. Don't mistake my criticism. I'm a fan of his talent and his Bond and I'd judge that he is a decent guy which is often not the case with many actors. I Just wish he's do better with this stuff.

Actually, he's not. He can bypass all the fans and do the photo shoots only. On Broadway, many actors do not stop and just go straight to the limo. There's no obligation on his part to sign autographs. My guess is that he does so because he appreciates the fans and the masses. In general, as seen in the work he did for Orbis (watch that short documentary, if you haven't), DC is a good, kind-hearted person...and very funny. Sometimes his sense of humor is mistaken for rudeness.

Yes there is an obligation to do it, and most major leads in plays who are professional do it. It is considered bad form not to do it. Which is exactly why he did it for Rain and for Betrayal and signs at the premiers. He hates this kind of stuff but these are controlled events with body guards and police at the busy stage doors, and press agents, body guards, police and other suits at the premiers to control the crowds. The press would trash him if he didn't sign at these venues. Again, I do think he is usually a decent guy, but he is not great at protecting his rep with the press and the public. Tom Hangs should give a graduate class to the Craigs in the business on how to behave like an A level star. It's not brain surgery.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 6,601
    I read something once from an interview (so we cannot be 100% sure, its true) that if he changes now, people would just think "Now he wants us to love him".
    If that is true and it very well could be, he feels, that now, never mind what he does, it will lead to nothing good, so he just acts the way he feels.

He can and want to sell a product but not himself.
    "Self promotion is like going to the dentist" seems still true for him.

All in all I still think, there is a balance and its not, that he is the most hated guy arround. He is just not as liked as he could be had he chosen to show his sunny, likeable side more.

it would be interesting to know, how and if he would change those ways with the knowledge he has now, if he could go back to CR times and on from that.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,554
    He did do the sunny/likeable side (I think):

Yeah, those little scenes were a lot better then the show. He nicely mocked himself.

But I meant in public.
    My beef isn't with the promo stuff. He is what he is and I understand why he is wary of the press given the crap he's taken from the DM and other rags. And he's never gonna tolerate it much. It's just his conduct when he is in public, giving the finger to paps, snapping at fans trying to take a pic. This is the stuff that always winds up in the tabs and gets him bashed in the press for being surly. It's very small stuff and he should just realize it ain't worth the blow back.
    My beef isn't with the promo stuff. He is what he is and I understand why he is wary of the press given the crap he's taken from the DM and other rags. And he's never gonna tolerate it much. It's just his conduct when he is in public, giving the finger to paps, snapping at fans trying to take a pic. This is the stuff that always winds up in the tabs and gets him bashed in the press for being surly. It's very small stuff and he should just realize it ain't worth the blow back.

I have never heard of this.
    Yes, he did and does. This I actually find ok. Not every celeb is up for it and fans, as niceas many are, can become quite annoying, I suppose.

But he does selfies, its like with all the other obligations, he doesnt feel, he has. Sometumes he is up to.it, sometimes not. As stupid as it might sometimes appear to be, I admire his courage to be himself, all the time, never mind what.

With fans a lot depends on how you approach him, too. Do it respectful and ask and he might shake your hand instead of taking a pic, bit he will be friendly. Nothing wrong with that.

I sorta agree with you, BUT... why should he, or indeed anyone else, CARE about the stupid rags like DM and the rest of them. The tabloid "press" is so utterly despicable that I've never understood how they survive. I mean, where does the money come from? Who the hell wastes their money on them? As far as I can tell they do trashy stories year in, year out also about people who never give the finger to paps, never snap at fans and generally behave in a gentlemanly manner. If one has ever done anything one shouldn't have it will be re-hashed for ever and ever for all eternity. It makes absolutely no difference in the end. If Craig started behaving like an angel it would make no difference, they'd mock him, and bring out the old stuff. They're simply vile. They - and their readers - are best just ignored. What tabs do is trash people, that's why they exist, I guess. What people actually DO is irrelevant in the end, they'll get trashed all the same, sooner or later, one way or another. --- Bloody hell, this isn't good for my blood pressure, shouldn't even think about the British tabloids. Well, I guess I made my point... ;)

Ok, I can imagine that if I lived in the UK, I'd see the front pages occasionally, here and there, and that would undoubtedly be bad for blood pressure as well, so I guess I see your point from that perspective. Other than THAT they don't actually matter - do they?

(Throughout writing the above I was trying to think what was the last DM story I read and why I read it, and why did it piss me off so. Finally remembered... So that was why I felt like strangling people left and right while writing. :)) (No worries, nobody else in the room.) Not going into it, but boy can they do a story combining things that have nothing whatsoever to do with each other, and twist it all out of shape and make it look nasty, take an innocent little news item about a nice thing, and turn it ugly for no other reason than spite. WHY people keep them in business of doing that by paying for it, I'll never understand.)

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Sean Connery was a 'jerk' off screen too (despite being the best on screen 007). It is well reported that he beat his ex wife up and even admitted to giving women a slap on live TV! I think Craig is quite well manner in comparison.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2015 Posts: 15,690
    suavejmf wrote: »
    admitted to giving women a slap on live TV!

Sound like something his Bond from GF or TB would do without breaking a sweat.
    Ha ha. .........Ah but he did it as Bond when the female was a traitor to the UK/ mission/ a Villan/ his life was endangered (acceptable). He did it in real life simply because they annoyed him (unacceptable for a gentleman)!!!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Many women were slapped around in the 60s and prior; it may not have been right but it was common. Connery as we know has a hard time letting things go and I suspect a dry slap was definitely one of them.
    Sean Connery was a 'jerk' off screen too (despite being the best on screen 007). It is well reported that he beat his ex wife up and even admitted to giving women a slap on live TV! I think Craig is quite well manner in comparison.

There IS no comparison. That's not a well mannered jerk vs. a badly mannered jerk. That is a person with sometimes questionable manners for somewhat understandable reasons (=doesn't make him a jerk) vs. an actual jerk acting despicably in ways, which cannot be defended at all.

(I admit I don't know much anything about Connery, really. My limited information is based mostly on what people write here - such as that comment, which nobody contradicted, and the likes of which I've seen before - and I think read one article somebody linked once.)
    I was merely responding to all those that critisise Craig's behaviour off screen with a comparison to how Connery was? I.e. DC does nothing wrong compared with Sean.
    We should possibly move this conversation to the DC appreciation thread.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2015 Posts: 15,690
    I was merely responding to all those that critisise Craig's behaviour off screen with a comparison to how Connery was? I.e. DC does nothing wrong compared with Sean.

I started that conversation , and I did not criticise Craig. I was merely saying the off-screen Connery and Moore are extensions of the take on Bond. IMO, Craig is different off-screen than his Bond in the films. It was never a negative statement, as I do like the 'real life' Craig, I was merely stating that he does not act like his Bond off the screen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Precisely right. James Bond has misogynist tendencies, and it appears from these recent comments that Sean Connery may also have them, even if it may also be on account of his age and the era he grew up in.

It only proves the point that SC is more like Bond off screen than DC is.
    I grew up with Brosnan as Bond, and Craig is the first Bond I've seen on the big screen, so both of them are very high in my esteem. However, if I were to meet Connery or Moore in real life, it would have a much, much bigger impact on me than the other 4 Bond's, or even any actor I appreciate (Neeson, Arnold, Clooney...).
    bondjames wrote: »
    Precisely right. James Bond has misogynist tendencies, and it appears from these recent comments that Sean Connery may also have them, even if it may also be on account of his age and the era he grew up in.

My posts never drew any comparison between Craig and Connery's off screen conduct. Craig's "giving the finger" stuff to the paps or getting irritated with some fan taking a picture are silly stuff that I just wish he'd better control because they get into the press (and not just the rotten DM) and give a false impression of Craig's nature. This stuff in no way compares to Connery slapping women around, a fact Connery himself admitted to in a Barbara Walters interview many years ago. I think that interview was a major news story at the time and I bet he greatly regretted saying it.

My posts never drew any comparison between Craig and Connery's off screen conduct. Craig's "giving the finger" stuff to the paps or getting irritated with some fan taking a picture are silly stuff that I just wish he'd better control because they get into the press (and not just the rotten DM) and give a false impression of Craig's nature. This stuff in no way compares to Connery slapping women around, a fact Connery himself admitted to in a Barbara Walters interview many years ago. I think that interview was a major news story at the time and I bet he greatly regretted saying it.

I'm not suggesting you did @smitty. I personally do believe that Connery off screen projects more like Bond than Craig does. I've said it here and I stand by it.

RE: his slapping women about - it's something I've heard on here. Obviously it's wrong, but he is from a different era and I don't know the full context.

Bottom line, Bond has misogynist inclinations and it appears that Connery may as well. For me, it just goes to confirm that he is more like Bond than some of the other actors.

In fact, I personally think the reason that Connery/Moore had such fantastic runs as Bond, and the reason that they are so respected for their Bond performances, and the reason that many like one over the other, is because they represent/project different sides of James Bond: - Connery is more the machismo half and Moore is more the English/suave/polished side. Two sides of a coin, with the coin itself being the character of James Bond.
    I agree with your posts on this. I probably shouldn't have quoted your last post in my comment because my comment wasn't related to your posts.
    NP - I can see that many here are upset about Connery's beating on women. I can appreciate this, but for me it doesn't take away from his Bond performances, nor does it impact my opinion of the man, as I know he's done good things, including donating his record salary for DAF to the Scottish International Education Trust.

He is a product of his age, as we all are.
    Bottom line, Bond has misogynist inclinations and it appears that Connery may as well. For me, it just goes to confirm that he is more like Bond than some of the other actors.

Does he though? I mean really? I don't see that. Fleming's Bond doesn't really seem misogynistic to me, and the female characters are often much better in books than in movies. The film Bond sometimes yes, sometimes no. Connery's slapping in real life as well as in films is not something I see as part of the character.
    NP - I can see that many here are upset about Connery's beating on women. I can appreciate this, but for me it doesn't take away from his Bond performances, nor does it impact my opinion of the man, as I know he's done good things, including donating his record salary for DAF to the Scottish International Education Trust.

It makes no difference to his acting work as Bond or otherwise, that remains the same, of course. It sure impacts my opinion of the man, though, how the hell could it not? Being a product of whatever age is no excuse whatsoever for me as far as that issue is concerned. Donating money to good causes doesn't make it any more acceptable either.

Tuulia wrote: »

Does he though? I mean really? I don't see that. Fleming's Bond doesn't really seem misogynistic to me, and the female characters are often much better in books than in movies. The film Bond sometimes yes, sometimes no. Connery's slapping in real life as well as in films is not something I see as part of the character.

I'm not much of a connoisseur or the books, but I have read Casino Royale many years ago. Some quotes:

"stupid bitch, why couldn't she just stay and home and cook dinner and let men get on with men's work. This will result in a shoot out and if she gets shot, so be it." when Vesper is kidnapped.

"the sweet tinge of rape"
    when contemplating sex with Vesper

"women are for sex only, on the job they get in the way with their emotional baggage"
    before meeting Vesper

As mentioned though, I'm not much of a reader of the books, and I realize book Bond seems to fall for a girl in many books and is more monogamist than film Bond, but the latter certainly is more misogynist imho.
    Tuulia wrote: »

It makes no difference to his acting work as Bond or otherwise, that remains the same, of course. It sure impacts my opinion of the man, though, how the hell could it not? Being a product of whatever age is no excuse whatsoever for me as far as that issue is concerned. Donating money to good causes doesn't make it any more acceptable either.
    True, it is not acceptable, but I am able to forgive this crudeness on his part, given the times he was brought up in when a lot of things that are wrong were considered more acceptable.
    Well, it's been a while since I read Casino Royale. Quotes from a book out of context can easily seem worse than in the context just like real people's words out of context, so that's one thing. The first quote... isn't that just a pissed off guy (hence the "bitch") with some silly old-fashioned ideas about cooking? ;) (I didn't find that misogynist.)

Didn't Connery actually beat up his wife pretty badly? And the stuff he says... Oh, never mind. No point. Thankfully the men of about the same generation and even older that I've known didn't/don't share his views, and I don't think violence towards women is that much of a generational thing, but depends more on the person.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    If the novel Bond isn't sexist than no one, aside from perhaps ISIS, is.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    This is getting far too off topic.
    Please let's get back to discussing any possible potential future James Bond actors.