Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    AceHole wrote: »
    But have the British actors really nailed the American accents for iconic heroes such as Batman and Supes? To my ear, not completely.
    Bale was excellent, but his accent was 90% perfect. Cavill perhaps 95% perfect. Yet, they did not sound truly ALL-american to me, as opposed to Michael Keaton or Chris Reeve in the same parts. Those guys just SOUNDED perfect for the parts, because they were über-American actors.

As a Brit, I'd still prefer US actors for Bat/Superman, and a Brit for 007... call me old fashioned.

Why does Superman have to sound American? He's from Krypton, surely he could be any nationality.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,727
    But have the British actors really nailed the American accents for iconic heroes such as Batman and Supes? To my ear, not completely.
    Bale was excellent, but his accent was 90% perfect. Cavill perhaps 95% perfect. Yet, they did not sound truly ALL-american to me, as opposed to Michael Keaton or Chris Reeve in the same parts. Those guys just SOUNDED perfect for the parts, because they were über-American actors.

As a Brit, I'd still prefer US actors for Bat/Superman, and a Brit for 007... call me old fashioned.

Why does Superman have to sound American? He's from Krypton, surely he could be any nationality.

Well, for starters because he is the most American of all the superheroes. He is, conceptually, basically an icon of the classic All-American cliches of justice, freedom and do-goodery. His origin is merely an analogy for the old-world emigrants coming to the USA from a foreign land to become a decent US-citizen.

Have you read any of the comics or seen Richard Donner's film? If not, I perhaps understand your question... but if you have then I would have to wonder why you'd even ask.
    @AceHole - yes but Superman per se is Kryptonian, therefore he wouldn't be all-american, his alter-ego, Clark Kent on the other hand is! Just saying that maybe Kal El would have a different voice/way of speaking to Clark. Just an observation. Not really a Superman fan anyhow - thought Man of Steel should have been retitled Man of Shite (but that's probably more to do with Zack Snyder than Superman himself) - was just curious why he had to be American…
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I couldn't care less who plays Superman. However, Bond is british and should be played by a british actor. I've never heard an American with (or put on) a realistic british accent. Never.....any brit can 'pull it apart'.
    I agree with @sauvejmf, and I must say the reverse can be true. To me Bob Hoskins American accent is dire - mind not quite as bad as DVD's cockney one in Mary Poppins!
    True. Some brit actors are good at the accent (I can't say flawless as I'm not American....so I don't have the 'ear for it as an American would). Others are awfull...Stratham, Bean, Law.....they can't do an American accent.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Technically Superman could be any skin colour as he's an alien but the only reason he sounds American is because...That's where he grew up! In MoS, Jor El has an Australian accent and Faora sounds Central European but at the end of the day Superman is embedded in the fabric of traditional good old American values for almost a century. Leave him be.
    Anyhow - back on topic: I would think that after DC any realistic candidate would have to be British or have lived in UK long enough to convince 100% as a Brit.

I hate to bring it up but it also has to be an actor who can sound 'non-regional' - not per se upper-middle class, but at least not with any discernible Yorkshire or West-country (as examples) twang... it just wouldn't work.
    007 Can't sound like someone off of 'Emmerdale' * ... "Ey'up, M - nought to do about 't Spectrrrr, aye?"

(*Popular English soap about rich farming folk in Yorkshire)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2015 Posts: 45,489
    bondjames wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »
    However, I think there are far more better UK actors for dramatic roles than US ones (I'm not sure why, but maybe the theatrical system/heritage in the UK produces more of them per capita)

I've also wondered why that is. I don't really know the theatrical system and all that, but some actors come from outside of it as well.
    I think it's just a culture of stage/theatre combined with the fact that enunciation, elocution etc. is still important in England (although far less so than before). Additionally, American movies/films are well known to Brits (from a young age) due to the power of American film/tv culture.....probably more so than the other way round....so maybe they can more easily slip into the accent out of pure familiarity. Also, the British accent requires a little more work in enunciation, which is more difficult to go to from American English than the other way round (where one is going to a more 'casual' accent). I'm of course speculating.

Hmm. Interesting, even if speculation.

You earlier comment was about "dramatic roles" and now only about accent and stuff - was that what you meant before as well, not the rest of acting?
    I mean both. Accents (which the Brits tend to do better going to the American rather than vice versa) and the acting chops (which I'm surprised by given the size vs. the US but I think there is more of a 'dramatic' performance culture in the UK.....I felt it when I was growing up there..........Also I think it may be on account of the Hollywood/American system that seems to me to prioritize looks these days over most other things, including capabilities).
    What I think everyone is trying to avoid is another debacle/fiasco/tragedy like Hayden Christensen (and I realize he's Canadian).

The Brits are normally up to the job. The Aussies not so much (eg. Worthington or that walking brick known as Courtney). Crowe has the goods though, as does Blanchett.

I'm only familiar with Hayden Christensen's name, and some vague negative association people refer to, but I don't think I've ever actually seen him anything... at least not that I remember, so could you very briefly say what the fiasco was?
    The tragedy in question was Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars prequels (in the 2nd and 3rd films).

I kinda assumed that might have been the role you were referring to, but what was the tragedy bit there in relation to this convo? I mean did it have something to do with his accent or about him not being American?

The tragedy was the horrendous (imho) dramatic acting. Terrible is not the word. I brought it up because he was a 'non-Brit' cast in an important dramatic role in a major franchise and he was a total bust (and North American, if not American). Compared to the similarly British and Aussie cast in the LTR trilogy that came out around the same time, the difference is clear. A small example of this:

And I should probably clarify that my comment about Australian actors was about their acting in general (which I interpreted was your comment about those couple of guys as well), not specifically about accent stuff.
    No, I was referring to Aussies as being a mixed bag compared to Brits. I used Courtney and Worthington because they are overrated and overexposed in relation to their expertise, imho. Sure, there are good Australian actors as well, as you named.

To be fair, you can't really blame the kid. Luca's writing is complete garbage.

To be even fairer, that was dubbed by the guy who posted the video on youtube. Here is the real version, not that it is any better.

Sorry, video work not. Check on youtube you can.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Sorry, that was my mistake. I find it so difficult to watch this shambolic attempt at emotions (Jake Lloyd as the small kid in Phantom Menace was so much better than this clown) that I did not watch it before posting and didn't realize it was dubbed. I am including the proper version below since Thunderfinger's may not be viewable in some regions. He's right......it's not any better.......in fact, it may be worse, almost impossibly..

I don't think Natalie Portman is acting in that clip.....she's genuinely in shock & horrified at what she is witnessing.

anakin-and-padme_39195_4.jpg?cache=1262095960
    @AceHole. No, I like that. James Bond from Newcastle - "Hadaaway an shite Blofeld!" :))
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    After a few more years, Jeremy Irvine might be a good fit.
  • RC7RC7
    Anyhow - back on topic: I would think that after DC any realistic candidate would have to be British or have lived in UK long enough to convince 100% as a Brit.

I hate to bring it up but it also has to be an actor who can sound 'non-regional' - not per se upper-middle class, but at least not with any discernible Yorkshire or West-country (as examples) twang... it just wouldn't work.
    007 Can't sound like someone off of 'Emmerdale' * ... "Ey'up, M - nought to do about 't Spectrrrr, aye?"

"Things were about to turn nasty".

Derbyshire, rather than Yorkshire.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,756
    "Me nam's Beuhd. Jahms Beuhd. Yeur gonna be in a proper mess when I call up me mates."
    "Me nam's Beuhd. Jahms Beuhd. Yeur gonna be in a proper mess when I call up me mates."

:)) :)) :))
    RC7 wrote: »

Care to explain that? :>
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

Care to explain that? :>

You were talking about actors not having regional accents, I was just referencing Dalton's Derbyshire moment in LTK.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    However, I think there are far more better UK actors for dramatic roles than US ones (I'm not sure why, but maybe the theatrical system/heritage in the UK produces more of them per capita)

I've also wondered why that is. I don't really know the theatrical system and all that, but some actors come from outside of it as well.
    I think it's just a culture of stage/theatre combined with the fact that enunciation, elocution etc. is still important in England (although far less so than before). Additionally, American movies/films are well known to Brits (from a young age) due to the power of American film/tv culture.....probably more so than the other way round....so maybe they can more easily slip into the accent out of pure familiarity. Also, the British accent requires a little more work in enunciation, which is more difficult to go to from American English than the other way round (where one is going to a more 'casual' accent). I'm of course speculating.

There you have it. Great explanation =D>

Thank you sir.

I just watched an episode of Jimmy Kimmel, where he was interviewing Emilia Clarke. She breaks out into her American 'valley' accent at about 0:53, and it's 'brilliant!'.......or rather, should I say 'awesome!' or 'amazing!'.

Interestingly, she says she loved the film Clueless as a kid. Who could have thought that would be an inspiration...

I just watched an episode of Jimmy Kimmel, where he was interviewing Emilia Clarke. She breaks out into her American 'valley' accent at about 0:53, and it's 'brilliant!'.......or rather, should I say 'awesome!' or 'amazing!'.

Interestingly, she says she loved the film Clueless as a kid. Who could have thought that would be an inspiration...

Yes, looking at that same era and possible role models you'd have thought perhaps Susan Sarandon in her many great roles, or Jodie Foster..? Perhaps the ever fantastic Frances McDormand...
    But no. Alicia Silverstone in 'Clueless' is what inspired her to be able to act as an American...
    Clarke is so hot.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Regional accents reminds me of this scene with Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan from the Trip when the start doing how Dalton would have said Bon, James Bond if he used his real Welsh accent.

^^That is pure gold.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 591
    Would Richard Madden work as Bond?

436629cbf856b4441a7b9c3664defc92.jpg
    He's a midget and a mediocre actor.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    doubleoego wrote: »
    He's a midget and a mediocre actor.

That would describe everyone playing in the same tv show as Charles Dance. ;)
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I've been watching Homeland, and I think Rupert Friend has much better character (not to mention looks) for Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Based on the picture above alone, it is a maddeningly bad idea.
    Madden looks ok. But he's too short. So no. Still a much more reasonable suggestion than Idris Elba or Jamie Bell etc though.
  • Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    Not sure about who should succeed DC, but Emilia Clarke should definitely be a Bond girl.
    What do we think of Jack Huston? He's a real rising star and he comes from a long dynasty of actors and filmmakers. Not to mention he has a connection to Barbara Broccoli after his time working on her stage production of 'Strangers On A Train'.

He could be a great Bond, but I think he may lack a little sex appeal; he looks a tad doughy in the face.

jack_huston_the_crow.jpg?w=1000&h=750&crop=1
    480389836-actor-jack-huston-of-pride-and-prejudice-and-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXs1V3%2FfywOBmNDVFOy%2BKqPZ9vi1lzsidyjuu6LvdrCbg5R9Rq92VLIpFcGiD29DknA%3D%3D
    Jack-Huston-2015-Comic-Con-Pride-Prejudice-and-Zombies.jpg