Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    I think people mention the muscle a lot because the Craig era has raised the bar for physical fight scenes and overall commitment to doing stunts. People want and expect that from a Bond movie; the days of Moore sitting back while his ginger stuntman does the heavy lifting are over, and its a symptom of modern Hollywood action movies that the hero has to be ripped anyway.

You don't have to be ripped to be a fighter. Bond should be lean and agile and to an extent take his opponents by surprise with his skills. Not built like a brick shit house, or battering ram.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Craig is in good shape but he's hardly Dwayne Johnson or Chris Hemsworth. His body just so happens to look more impressive than the actors that came before him which isn't saying much. There are people who go the gym 3 times a week who happen to be office workers who are more ripped and have better looking physiques than Craig.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 1,661
    I think Dan Stevens could be a major contender. He's known but not that well-known. He's done tv, now moving into feature films. He's good looking but in a conventional way. He's not excessively handsome but arguably more Bondian looking than Daniel Craig. He's 33 so the right age bracket to take over if Craig quits or does one more film.

I think Barbara Broccoli might find someone like Stevens as a natural successor to Craig.

He's also got a link to James Bond so that might help his chances. ;) See below!

• Henry Cavill on playing Bond: "I'm not too sure when I could fit it in" if Superman & Man From UNCLE go on:

http://uk.eonline.com/

fanbond123 wrote: »
    I think Dan Stevens could be a major contender.

Yeah others on here including me have mentioned him. Have you seen The Guest? It's a great calling card role that shows how he might be good for certain aspects of Bond. He would probably be my top pick right now.

• edited August 2015 Posts: 709

Henry Cavill on playing Bond: "I'm not too sure when I could fit it in" if Superman & Man From UNCLE go on:

Indeed. He's already playing another iconic/blockbuster character, and another Ian Fleming-created spy. His Bond candidacy has ended.
    Jamie Bell would be great if they wanted to continue with a slightly rugged-looking Bond. He´s got the right age and more talent than most actors around his age.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Henry Cavill on playing Bond: "I'm not too sure when I could fit it in" if Superman & Man From UNCLE go on:

Indeed. He's already playing another iconic/blockbuster character, and another Ian Fleming-created spy. His Bond candidacy has ended.

Again, never say never

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Jamie Bell would be great if they wanted to continue with a slightly rugged-looking Bond. He´s got the right age and more talent than most actors around his age.

Bell is a good actor, agreed. But given he's a borderline midget, he has no chance of being 007 I'm afraid.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Too bad Jean Dujardin is too old and too French.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Looks the part, but yeah french......technically a Country 007 would spy on and (historically) and old enemy. No.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »
    bondjamis wrote: »
    However, I think there are far more better UK actors for dramatic roles than US ones (I'm not sure why, but maybe don't theatrical system/heritage in the UK produces more of them per capita)

I've also wondered why that is. I don't really know the theatrical system and all that, but some actors come from outside of it as well.
    I think it's just a culture of stage/theatre combined with the fact that enunciation, elocution etc. is still important in England (although far less so than before). Additionally, American movies/films are well known to Brits (from a young age) due to the power of American film/tv culture.....probably more so than the other way round....so maybe they can more easily slip into the accent out of pure familiarity. Also, the British accent requires a little more work in enunciation, which is more difficult to go to from American English than the other way round (where one is going to a more 'casual' accent). I'm of course speculating.

Hmm. Interesting, even if speculation.

You earlier comment was about "dramatic roles" and now only about accent and stuff - was that what you meant before as well, not the rest of acting?
    I mean both. Accents (which the Brits tend to do better going to the American rather than vice versa) and the acting chops (which I'm surprised by given the size vs. the US but I think there is more of a 'dramatic' performance culture in the UK.....I felt it when I was growing up there..........Also I think it may be on account of the Hollywood/American system that seems to me to prioritize looks these days over most other things, including capabilities).
    What I think everyone is trying to avoid is another debacle/fiasco/tragedy like Hayden Christensen (and I realize he's Canadian).

The Brits are normally up to the job. The Aussies not so much (eg. Worthington or that walking brick known as Courtney). Crowe has the goods though, as does Blanchett.

I'm only familiar with Hayden Christensen's name, and some vague negative association people refer to, but I don't think I've ever actually seen him anything... at least not that I remember, so could you very briefly say what the fiasco was?
    The tragedy in question was Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars prequels (in the 2nd and 3rd films).

I kinda assumed that might have been the role you were referring to, but what was the tragedy bit there in relation to this convo? I mean did it have something to do with his accent or about him not being American?

The tragedy was the horrendous (imho) dramatic acting. Terrible is not the word. I brought it up because he was a 'non-Brit' cast in an important dramatic role in a major franchise and he was a total bust (and North American, if not American). Compared to the similarly British and Aussie cast in the LTR trilogy that came out around the same time, the difference is clear. A small example of this:

And I should probably clarify that my comment about Australian actors was about their acting in general (which I interpreted was your comment about those couple of guys as well), not specifically about accent stuff.
    No, I was referring to Aussies as being a mixed bag compared to Brits. I used Courtney and Worthington because they are overrated and overexposed in relation to their expertise, imho. Sure, there are good Australian actors as well, as you named.

I know this an old quote ...and I haven't kept up with this thread as much but quick comment regarding accents. I think I recall that social linguists tell us that thanks to social media and the like that we are loosing our accents.

I dont know ...and as a side note Craig to me does not have a very strong accent. Brosnan has a slight Irish California thing going.
  • RC7RC7
    [quote="mcdonbb;474749" as a side note Craig to me does not have a very strong accent.[/quote]

He's been very proactive in maintaining a neutral tone. It's not happened by chance.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    RC7 wrote: »
    [quote="mcdonbb;474749" as a side note Craig to me does not have a very strong accent.

He's been very proactive in maintaining a neutral tone. It's not happened by chance. [/quote]

Ah ok ...to me even in interviews. Also Craig's American accent in that forgettable alien movie ...can't remember the name but wasn't so hot. Should have just kept his own accent.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Chris Hemsworth or Dan Stevens are my favourites. Henry Cavill would work too but he is too busy until 2019 and he will be known worldwide as Clark Kent/Supes by then.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 1,661
    It's interesting to note how youthful Henry Cavill (at premiere of Man From U.N.C.L.E) is at age 32 compared to Sean Connery, age 32, in Dr No:

e71c93.jpg

In other photos - when he was outside in the full glare of the sunshine - Connery looked older:

000006fb9-sean_connery_dr_no1.jpg

Connery's older looks were a major asset in giving his Bond a world-weary quality, the sexism of the character fitted a more mature face, however, looking older than your age is not considered an asset in the 21st century 'selfie' era! Connery's older than his years appearance is the very antithesis of our times. Indeed, you might struggle to find many 32 year old actors looking as mature as Connery did at that age. I blame face moisturizers! ;)
    I always assumed Connery drank and smoked too much. :))
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Connery just had an 'old man's face' from age 30 onward, his face never really aged all that much after that, compared to other men.
    Moore on the other hand always looked a good 6-7 years younger than he was. You'd never had thought he was already pushing 50 in TSWLM.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I don't think it's just moisturizer to blame. In the 60s more people smoked and you could smoke about everywhere. Smoking ages your skin.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    After Craig

Henry Cavill
    Charlie Hunnam
    Jamie Dornan
    Christian Bale
    Theo James

Who could have been a great Bond in the Past
    Ralph Fiennes
    Liam Neeson
    Daniel Day Lewis
    Brad Pitt( i know he is not british but if he could get the accent, he would be the Blond version of Pierce Brosnan)
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Szonana wrote: »
    After Craig

Henry Cavill YES PLEASE
    Charlie Hunnam NO, ONE BLOND BOND IS ENOUGH
    Jamie Dornan I LIKE IT I LIKE IT
    Christian Bale TOO OLD WAY TOO OLD
    Theo James HE DID GOOD IN DIVERGENT BUT ALMOST TOO PRETTY

[/quote]

What about:

Chris Hemsworth, right age, right look
    Liam Hemsworth, too young but would look the part as well
    Dan Stevens, at the moment my desired candidate for Bond.
    After Craig

Henry Cavill YES PLEASE

Cavill - Once again, can't and won't happen. Already playing an Ian Fleming created spy AND a competing action hero. FWIW, I feel he'd be OK, decent, competent, acceptable as Bond. But I don't want "OK".
    Hunnam - I'd be into this. Big fan of SOA. Think he might be a bit too 'punk' for Bond, but who knows.
    Dornan - Maybe. Very good as a sociopath on The Fall. 50 Shades probably didn't do him any favors.
    Bale - Nah. He's done his Bond-like role. He'd never say yes anyway.
    Theo James - Ehhh, haven't seen any of his work. Perhaps a bit too male model looking. Not much 'edge' there? Hmm, if he's 30 now, he's in that age zone EON might be looking at. I could see his name coming up in the media.

What about:

Dan Stevens, yes, absolutely, and I agree with you, he's also my top candidate. I'm kind of keeping my fingers crossed that he DOESN'T get any sort of action/superhero role in the next couple of years so he's still relatively under the radar for Bond consideration.

And now we're going to differ :D

Chris Hemsworth (didn't you just say one blonde Bond is enough? ;) )...in a realistic sense, already playing a blockbuster action hero, so he's automatically out. And Australian. I could be wrong, but I don't see EON hiring a non-Brit. And on another note...are you serious? This plank of wood? He did a sort of Bond-like role in Blackhat, and was absolutely terrible, and audiences said no in a big way. And now he's trying to move into comedy? Good grief. This guy will vanish fast as soon as his viking space hammer guy contract is up. Liam is slightly better but, still, ehh.
    Agh, browser issues, double post, please ignore.

Uhh...so...Tom Hardy? :D
    Agh, browser issues, double post, please ignore.

Uhh...so...Tom Hardy? :D

Tom Hardy would be my favourite by far but he is already 6 years too old.
    The new Bond actor cannot be born before 1983.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Am I the only one who thinks Tom Hardy is too rough for Bond? I would have no objections to him being cast in a Bond film, just not for Bond.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Tom Hardy is too old and too famous to be Bond. EON goes for unknowns or almost unknowns.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    After Craig

Henry Cavill YES PLEASE

What about:

Dan Stevens, at the moment my desired candidate for Bond.[/quote]

Ok look at the Calvin Klein add on youtube charlie did, his hair is darker in it and he looks very Bond type.
    He is clean shaven and looks great.

I love the idea of Chris Hemsworth as well but i think he is too famous for Bond no?

After Craig

Henry Cavill YES PLEASE

What about:

Ok look at the Calvin Klein add on youtube charlie did, his hair is darker in it and he looks very Bond type.
    He is clean shaven and looks great.

I love the idea of Chris Hemsworth as well but i think he is too famous for Bond no?

[/quote]

True, Chris Hemsworth seems unrealistic so does Henry Cavill after Batman vs Superman is released.

I hope for Dan Stevens... B-)

Charlie Hunnam I like too, I mean I could live with him as Bond but it ain't gonna happen.

I've long thought Charlie Hunnam ticks all the boxes. He is a little rough, but he can clean up well. Dan Stevens would need to bulk up a bit, but he is also a good prospect. These guys have the talent, the right attitude, and the right level of fame and are far more likely pics than virtually all of the names that keep getting talked up in the press.