Who do YOU give 11/10? (final appreciation)

Comments

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DN: Terence Young
    FRWL: Robert Shaw
    GF: Sean Connery
    TB: Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT: Ken Adam(honorable mention to Freddie Young)
    OHMSS: John Barry
    DAF: Jill St. John
    LALD: Jane Seymour
    TMWTGG: Christopher Lee
    TSWLM: Caroline Munro

I'm quite fond of her lovely but lethal wink ;). I wish her role had been larger.
    Nobody in TMWTGG. Even Barry's score is uninspired.
    What can I say... Next time you watch the film, just sit comfortably in the couch, bring in some beer and chips, call some friends, pump up the volume, and just enjoy the fun ! Maybe watch MR just before, to let the fun, excitment and good ol' Sir Rog sink in !! Yes you need to really organize a viewing of TMWTGG so that you can enjoy it to the fullest ! Once you will have seen it in perfect, epic conditions, you will finally enter the exciting, epic, wonderful and fun world of TMWTGG and Roger Moore !!
    I like the way you think, DaltonCraig007. :)

I consider both MR and TMWTGG pretty terrific myself.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Ken Adam.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Nobody in TMWTGG. Even Barry's score is uninspired.
    What can I say... Next time you watch the film, just sit comfortably in the couch, bring in some beer and chips, call some friends, pump up the volume, and just enjoy the fun ! Maybe watch MR just before, to let the fun, excitment and good ol' Sir Rog sink in !! Yes you need to really organize a viewing of TMWTGG so that you can enjoy it to the fullest ! Once you will have seen it in perfect, epic conditions, you will finally enter the exciting, epic, wonderful and fun world of TMWTGG and Roger Moore !!
    I like the way you think, DaltonCraig007. :)

I consider both MR and TMWTGG pretty terrific myself.
    They are the most fun in the bunch. How can you forget the inspiring performance of Richard Kiel or the wonderful acting of Clifton James as Jay Dubya Pepah? Well, my vote will go to Cubby Broccoli.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Cubby Broccoli. Without him, Bond would have died (again!) with TMWTGG.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have to say, I'm both impressed and charmed by the praise and love for Cubby! :)
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited November 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Who do I give 11/10 for Spy? Everyone. Obviously.

;)

Nah, in all seriousness, probably Cubby (mostly for @echo's reason above and for the former's bravura belief in Bond), Ken Adam, Rick Sylvester, Carly Simon, Maurice Binder and Sir Rog. Of course. Oh and Caroline Munro's and Valerie Leon's norks... :)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Going with Roger on this one. John Barry's absence from TSWLM turned the soundtrack into a disco soundtrack. I really feel this is the most overated of all Bond films. I can't justify giving anyone an 11 other than Roger. This was Roger's breakthrough as Bond. Roger was even more brilliant as Cdr Bond.
    FILM 11 Moonraker
    edited November 2011 Posts: 23,544
    MR is one of my guilty pleasure films. I'm going to say it flat out: I enjoy watching this film like I enjoy a good meal. Reason number 1 (and putting myself at the risk of sounding like a broken record): John Barry. For is he not, after all, the genius who built the correct atmosphere for this film? Here's to my fourth Barry vote!

1. Terence Young
    2. Sean Connery
    3. John Barry
    4. Peter Hunt
    5. Ken Adam
    6. John Barry
    7. John Barry
    8. Jane Seymour
    9. Christopher Lee
    10. Ken Adam
    11. John Barry
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Roger Moore. Simply amazing performance. Watching him totally enjoy himself for 2 hours is mesmerizing.
    Roger Moore. Simply amazing performance. Watching him totally enjoy himself for 2 hours is mesmerizing.
    I reckon MR is Moore's best performance as Bond in my book.

Derek Meddings.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

IMO it's TMWTGG. Very close to Fleming. MR's his second his best.

edited November 2011 Posts: 3,262

Ditto.

DN: Terence Young
    FRWL: Robert Shaw
    GF: Sean Connery
    TB: Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT: Ken Adam(honorable mention to Freddie Young)
    OHMSS: John Barry
    DAF: Jill St. John
    LALD: Jane Seymour
    TMWTGG: Christopher Lee
    TSWLM: Caroline Munro
    MR: Sir Roger Moore

There's just something about the superconfidence a Bond actor brings to his 4th performance in the role. Connery did it in TB and Sir Rog did it in MR. He takes the strength of his TSWLM performance with Gilbert's direction and makes it even stronger. It's Moore at his best.

• edited November 2011 Posts: 1,497
    It's gotta be John Barry..seconded by Shirley Bassey, with the most stunning vocal performance of the series.
  • Pre credits sequence, now that IS Skyfall

Michael Lonsdale, one of my favorite actors, did not to bad a job here, I know I berated his Drax character before, but on this day and looking back he did have some standout moments and gave us some of the best lines of the entire movie

Maybe product placement should warrant equal billing here from what I remember
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Michael Lonsdale.. even though his performance was rather sleepy and mellow - i did find him a tad more sinister than the evil grandpa from TSWLM..

an honorary vote goes to the pigeon.... i heard it took him days to get that shot right - thats dedicated acting...

1. Terence Young
    2. Pedro Armendariz
    3. Gert Frobe
    4. Sean Connery
    5. Ken Adam
    6. Peter Hunt
    7. Shirley Bassey
    8. Yaphet Kotto
    9. Christopher Lee
    10. Roger Moore
    11. Michael Lonsdale
  • John Barry, Ken Adam, Roger Moore or Louis Gilbert...in some order.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    John Barry for making a silly film musically enjoyable.
  • Shirley Bassey. What a title song.

DN - Maurice Binder
    FRWL - Daniela BIanchi
    GF - Richard Malibum
    TB - Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT - Ken Adam
    OHMSS - John Barry/George Lazenby
    DAF - None
    LALD - George Martin
    TMWTGG - Christopher Lee
    TSWLM - Albert R. Broccoli
    MR - Shirley Bassey
    I will keep this MR entry open for a while longer. I'm interested in learning you guys' favourite elements concerning this film. :P
    Every single person who was responsible for the pre credits scene. Simply an amazing job. 20/10
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Agreed. The stunt/camera team in the PTS offered the best scene in the movie.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes. precredits definitely on this one.
  • For me its Michael Lonsdale as Drax and also Shirley's Moonraker theme. The disco version at the end is such a catchy fab tune.

Never find MR boring.
    MR is one of my guilty pleasure films. I'm going to say it flat out: I enjoy watching this film like I enjoy a good meal.
    No reason to feel gulity. Totally agree about MR being like a good meal. It's fun, unpretentious and the best of the category of Bond films that discarded the original literary material and used only the Fleming title.

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Sir Rog, Barry, Adam all deserve 11/10 out of 10, in my opinion, but I have to go for..

Jean Tournier. Moonraker is the best looking Bond movie, bar none, gorgeous cinematography...
    I'm the only one who values the great - and by far best - special effects in this film?
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 107
    I'm the only one who values the great - and by far best - special effects in this film?
    No, you're not.

Moonraker • Derek Meddings
    The Spy Who Loved Me • Lewis Gilbert
    The Man With The Golden Gun • Richard Maibum
    Live And Let Die • George Martin
    Diamonds Are Forever • Tom Mankiewicz
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service • Peter Hunt
    You Only Live Twice • John Barry
    Thunderball • Ken Adam
    Goldfinger • Guy Hamilton
    From Russia With Love • Terence Young
    Dr. No • Sean Connery