Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

So was Hitchcock
    LOL

:D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm going to start an MI-thon shortly in anticipation of MI5.

Agree on De Palma's MI - classic for sure. Didn't like it so much when it came out but I love it now for its noirish style (I even prefer it to GP).
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Hated the first one. Depalma is a hack. I get it, he loves Hitchcock.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    1- okay.
    2- sheer fun.
    3- good Alias-like stuff.
    4- badass.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    @talos7 Thanks! :)

Wish SPECTRE was like this - so frequent with trailers! Hope we get something soon.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This looks like a kick ass movie!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think this will be the first MI film I will bother to watch at the cinema.
  • RC7RC7
    Every time I see Hunt leaping into that water tank I just wish it was in SP. It looks really visually distinctive as the start of a set-piece. This movie should be a lot of fun, if nothing else.
    Insane :-)!
    edited June 2015 Posts: 8,037
    RC7 wrote: »
    Every time I see Hunt leaping into that water tank I just wish it was in SP. It looks really visually distinctive as the start of a set-piece. This movie should be a lot of fun, if nothing else.

It's interesting that you say this; There is a shot in the opening credits of Skyfall that really brings this to mind. I was wondering if it had provided any inspiration.

At the 25 sec mark.

I'm going to say it.
    This movie looks like a better spy movie than SPECTRE.

The gadgets are there.
    Benji's Q has real work to do, and isn't shoehorned in (or laughably naive).
    The sets look amazing.
    The action looks promising and NOT distracting, like some of the recent Bond stunts.

I'm more excited for this than I am for SPECTRE, as a fun action movie. I'd say its along the lines of GoldenEye, and I love GoldenEye. I'm enjoying this moody stuff with Craig, but I hope the franchise returns to something more straightforward like M:I films after.
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    I'm going to say it.
    This movie looks like a better spy movie than SPECTRE.

The gadgets are there.
    Benji's Q has real work to do, and isn't shoehorned in (or laughably naive).
    The sets look amazing.
    The action looks promising and NOT distracting, like some of the recent Bond stunts.

I'm more excited for this than I am for SPECTRE, as a fun action movie. I'd say its along the lines of GoldenEye, and I love GoldenEye. I'm enjoying this moody stuff with Craig, but I hope the franchise returns to something more straightforward like M:I films after.

I think this is a ridiculous remark, as both movies, "Rogue Nation" and "SPECTRE", are not even out yet. Yes, you can judge some elements from the trailers, for instance the atmosphere of the film. But even then: The films haven't even premiered yet.

I agree though with @RC7 that I'm very excited for those underwater sequences in "Rogue Nation". They indeed look breathtaking. But come on, let's wait and see how that scene fits in the story and plot.

Also, I actually think the trailer for "Rogue Nation" gave me a rather gritty feeling. Ethan Hunt being 'tortured', half-naked. Well, we have seen that somewhere before as well.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 8,037
    [quote="Gustav_Graves;460150Ethan Hunt being 'tortured', half-naked. Well, we have seen that somewhere before as well.[/quote]

Yeah, it looks just like Martin Riggs being 'tortured' at the end of the Original Lethal Weapon. ;)
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 11,119
    talos7 wrote: »
    Ethan Hunt being 'tortured', half-naked. Well, we have seen that somewhere before as well.

Yeah, it looks just like Martin Riggs being 'tortured' at the end of the Original Lethal Weapon.

I think I need to put you across my knee dear @talos7 :-P.

Hey @Talos7? Have you seen all the 'spy'/action films so far in cinema?
    I think SPECTRE is a return to a more straightforward Bond to be fair. In fact reading the script I was reminded of Goldeneye, in the sense that Bond is a more fleshed out character than in say the Moore and Connery films, and there is personal drama, but it never becomes pretentious and the character stuff doesn't get in the way of it being an entertaining action film (SPECTRE has big stunts and set pieces, gadgets, more humour and fun, etc).

I really liked Skyfall, it's my favourite Daniel Craig Bond film and one of my favourite Bond films in general, but I think it did get too pretentious at times and focused too much on being a character study and not enough on being a good action film. I think SPECTRE is more Goldeneye than Skyfall because there is personal drama and more fleshed out characters, but it compliments the rest of the film rather than over shadowing it. Bond's character develops and faces personal struggles throughout SPECTRE but he's not a moody old bastard who's past his prime like in Skyfall, here we get a Bond at the top of his game. There's personal drama, which I think is a good thing, but it's not angsty and arty, it feels less forced (nobody recites poetry in SPECTRE).
    I am too looking forward to the underwater scenes and some other action scenes in Rogue Nation.

But from my point of view I've always enjoyed to watch Bond. Bond has history. MI films are just full of action. Bond has an atmosphere and a dramatic and great story and Bond girls. MI films don't have atmosphere and the story comes to be boring. I'm not saying that MI films are boring, but Bond films have dramatic dialogues (like the one with White in SP and Waltz at the SP meeting). This is just my opinion. I'd love to hear other thoughts too. I think SP will go over Jurassic World and MI easy, maybe it wont go over Star Wars, but still. Can't wait for October/November!! :) :) :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm looking forward to MI5 too but to be honest it doesn't look all that great to me when compared to what we've seen from spectre. MI5 has this comparatively generic feel to it with interesting set pieces and it most definitely looks like fun and it'll be exciting but compared to spectre's teaser and 30 second tv spot, it pales significantly. Bond has class, allure, wonderment and magic and that's just looking at 60seconds of footage. Bond is operating in a different and far superior league. When EoN release a full theatrical trailer for SP I expect people here to really have their moment clarity akin to a sexual awakening of sorts. SP isn't playing about and it's going to show the fans, audiences, the media why Bond is king and the original Mr.Blockbuster.
    I completely agree with both of you @aaron819 and @doubleoego. Bond is in a league of it's own and more people are going to remember that once we see more of SPECTRE.
    @doubleoego completely agree with you. I think my above post and your post can be combined. Completely agreed. Loved this line in your post: it pales significantly. Bond has class, allure, wonderment and magic and that's just looking at 60seconds of footage.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 11,139
    I completely agree with both of you @aaron819 and @doubleoego. Bond is in a league of it's own and more people are going to remember that once we see more of SPECTRE.

Thanks @aaron and @thelivingroyale, Precisely. I also think even with the competition of spy movies this year and EoN/Sony wanting to overcome the crisis of the Sony leaks, the rather conservative output is a sure sign of complete confidence in how SP will turn out. The lion doesn't concern himself with the matters of sheep.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    RC7 wrote: »

It's interesting that you say this; There is a shot in the opening credits of Skyfall that really brings this to mind. I was wondering if it had provided any inspiration.

At the 25 sec mark.

Actually, the MI jump reminds me a lot of Bond's jump in the GE pretitles. Just feet first.

I'm looking forward to both of these immensely. MI more for the action and laughs, and SP for the atmosphere & dialogue.
    Exactly. We get so many spy films this year. There must be at least one spy film that completely satisfies a forummember. And isn't that fact alone...beautiful :-)?
    I made a point of saying I think M:I is going to be the better spy film for me.

SPECTRE is about Bond and personal espionage and fighting whereas M:I is a global battle between entirely secret organizations. It's not "personal" beyond the fact that their jobs and lives are at steak. With SPECTRE, Bond is going global following breadcrumbs about HIS past. It's not for England, but for Bond which so happens to save England as well.

I'm hyped for both, but when it comes to a international espionage blockbuster, I look to M:I for the jokes, gadgets, and fun and SPECTRE for the drama, art, and "class". I'm going to enjoy them differently, but I think M:I will be "a better time" at the theater.
    11665415_980644125289021_8184749537939519599_n.jpg?oh=343b5dfb16d0ee6105af643546c5eb0c&oe=55E8676A
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @aaron819, you beat me to it! I love the poster, though why Tom's floating head is so huge is beyond me.
    It looks somewhat bland but I like it overall. It's better than anything EoN have put out since CR's teaser.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 12,837
    With SPECTRE, Bond is going global following breadcrumbs about HIS past. It's not for England, but for Bond which so happens to save England as well.

Actually it's the other way around. It's for the world (not just England really), and it just so happens that Bond's mission is connected to his past.
    I look to M:I for the jokes, gadgets, and fun and SPECTRE for the drama, art, and "class". I'm going to enjoy them differently, but I think M:I will be "a better time" at the theater.

In terms of gadgets and fun, I can't see any film topping Kingsman, but SPECTRE has gadgets and jokes too. Anyway I think Bond will tower over the competition. Kingsman did well when it was released, so will MI (UNCLE we'll have to wait and see, the brand hasn't really been relevant since the 60s and there's not much starpower attached, Man Of Steel made money because of the Superman brand but Cavill got a lukewarm response and The Lone Ranger flopped, I think Guy Richie directing will help generate interest but unless reviews are very positive I can't see it doing that well, it's a crowded summer and I haven't seen much buzz or interest surrounding it), but I doubt anyone will still be talking about them once SPECTRE comes out and takes the world by storm like Skyfall did.

Bond is in a league of it's own, and that's evidenced by the fact that none of these movies would exist if it weren't for Bond and they all ape Bond to various degrees (Kingsman was an unapologetic love letter to the Roger Moore films, MI and UNCLE both began life as TV shows designed to cash in on Bond mania and even now both still pretty clearly Bond inspired). Bond though is the real thing, the one that started it all, and I think come November it'll be pretty clear again why Bond has stayed on top for 50 years while other wannabe spy franchises have come and gone and eventually been forgotten (MI has done pretty well though, 20 years, but idk if it'll last once Tom Cruise is gone).