Henry Cavill as Ian Fleming's Secret Agent................................

Interesting fact............ Ian Fleming was involved in the creation of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." and created the name of it's lead character, Napoleon Solo.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    True. :)
    Man from U.N.C.L.E. was originally supposed to be called Solo. Though because there was a character called Solo in Goldfinger, they jettisoned that show title.
    Didn't Fleming also come up with the name " April Dancer" ( The girl from
    UNCLE) as well ?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Man from U.N.C.L.E. was originally supposed to be called Solo. Though because there was a character called Solo in Goldfinger, they jettisoned that show title.
    Actually, that one 'Solo' character in Goldfinger was a response by EON to Norman Felton and Sam Rolfe for trying to "steal their spark away from them." So, they antagonized the Solo character created by Fleming in 1963, with both Saltzman and Broccoli forcing him to deal out of the production. There was also, to my knowledge, a proposed lawsuit that was threatened to be pulled against the UNCLE producers, so to divert from the similar tone to Bond, they have made their own additions and changes to the Solo IP.

The Solo character in the third Bond film was a fireback (or what people would call it these days, 'the birdie' or 'the middle finger') to UNCLE, not the other way around.
    First Superman, now Napoleon Solo? Henry Cavill ain't gonna be Bond now.
    You never know. The producers are definitely going with a A-List actors and actresses these days, so Cavill, I say, still has a chance.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I really did not know about these links between Fleming & the Solo character, or about the politicking around EON/Solo in GF. Very interesting stuff.
    You never know. The producers are definitely going with a A-List actors and actresses these days, so Cavill, I say, still has a chance.

For Bond they mainly went for relative unknown.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Well, Brosnan and Moore weren't unknowns.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

But they weren’t really household names.

Moore was a t.v. star and his casting was due to a number of circumstances that are unlikely to reappear. Brosnan was known for the man that could have, should have been and/or would be Bond.
  • DrGorner wrote: »
    Didn't Fleming also come up with the name " April Dancer" ( The girl from
    UNCLE) as well ?

He did, although Fleming envisioned the character as a Moneypenny type, not an agent. It was NBC that wanted a spinoff featuring a woman agent. Dean Hargrove, the writer assigned to write the script, used the April Dancer name. It was better than an alternative that was floating around, "Cookie" Fortune.

IF Cavill wasnt Superman he would still have a good chance IMO.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I really did not know about these links between Fleming & the Solo character, or about the politicking around EON/Solo in GF. Very interesting stuff.

Here's part of the text of the letter when Fleming signed away his rights to UNCLE for one British pound.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/june-1963-ian-fleming-signs-away-his-u-n-c-l-e-rights/

Some other tidbits:

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/1964-broccoli-and-saltzman-try-to-derail-u-n-c-l-e/

Conversely, Richard Maibaum was signed (but never did much with) a proposed UNCLE revival in the 1970s.

https://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com/u-n-c-l-e-s-ties-with-james-bond/

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thanks for the links @AlexanderWaverly.
    jake24 wrote: »

Are you kidding? Brosnan was popular on American TV.
    Perdogg wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

He was popular as a TV actor and as the man who could have been/should have been/was going to be Bond. He built his career and fame (or what he had of it) on the role he did not have yet!
    Perdogg wrote: »

Remington Steele had been off the air for eight years by the time Goldeneye came out. He was doing TV or straight to video movies in the early 90s.
    Perhaps. But, he was already well-known. Someone who has "built his career and fame on the role he did not have yet" was actually in consideration due to his role in Remington Steele, which has been domestically successful back in the day. Even Roger Moore wanted to produce a Saint movie and desired to have Brosnan taking on the titular character. Hadn't it been for the television series Michael Gleason created, there would have been no Brosnan.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 14,799
    Perhaps. But, he was already well-known. Someone who has "built his career and fame on the role he did not have yet" was actually in consideration due to his role in Remington Steele, which has been domestically successful back in the day. Even Roger Moore wanted to produce a Saint movie and desired to have Brosnan taking on the titular character. Hadn't it been for the television series Michael Gleason created, there would have been no Brosnan.

Yes, but Brosnan was not a big star. He was more famous, comparatively, than Connery, Lazenby and Dalton when they got the role. Or Craig later. But he was no say Tom Cruise.

Anyway, back on topic, I might see the Man from U.N.C.L.E. movie, even though it looks every bit like a poor man's James Bond.
    As I loved the old show, I'll definitely see the new film. Sadly it looks
    Very stylish, but I think it will be lacking in character and plot.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Very stylish, but I think it will be lacking in character and plot.
    Don't count on that, Doctor. ;)