Fleming's influence on S.H.I.E.L.D.

Because Fleming had a hand in creating "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." we have him to thank for S.H.I.E.L.D. as well.

HITFIX: How vividly do you actually remember the creation and the genesis of this S.H.I.E.L.D. world?
STAN LEE: I remember it very clearly! There had been a TV show called “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” and I thought to myself, “We ought to do a script that had that same feeling. So I came up with S.H.I.E.L.D. - Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law enforcement Division.

Interesting we have a SHIELD, UNCLE and Bond film all in one year.

Who remembers what U.N.C.L.E. stands for?

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    United Network Command for Law and Enforcement
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    What did THRUSH stand for?
    Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity, at least according to the novels. Founded by Col. Sebastian Moran after the death of Moriarty.
    Yes it was in the novels but on the series itself it was just Thrush, the capital city from which the organization gets it's name.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 17,729
    Gerard wrote: »
    Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity, at least according to the novels. Founded by Col. Sebastian Moran after the death of Moriarty.

Thanks so much for that. I have a few of the novels somewhere. I knew that someone here would know the answer. :)

Does that mean that Sherlock Holmes is linked with The Man From UNCLE then or have I grossly misread the situation? [I'm of course referring to the mention of Moriarty here].
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Thanks so much for that. I have a few of the novels somewhere. I knew that someone here would know the answer. :)

Does that mean that Sherlock Holmes is linked with The Man From UNCLE then or have I grossly misread the situation?
    I had no idea about that. Were the novels before or after the series??
    The novels were written during the series. Even the developer of the series intimated that Thrush was very much like Moriarty and his organization. In a very out-of-left-field way, the new U.N.C.L.E. film could be considered Guy Ritchie's next Sherlock Holmes film.
    delfloria wrote: »
    The novels were written during the series. Even the developer of the series intimated that Thrush was very much like Moriarty and his organization. In a very out-of-left-field way, the new U.N.C.L.E. film could be considered Guy Ritchie's next Sherlock Holmes film.

Thanks for that. Very interesting. I just recently got a good book on The Man From UNCLE.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I still have a few " Man from uncle" books, used to be able to pick them up in
    Markets etc. With the DVD box set ( only 5 films) I seem to remember a bit of
    Trivia, that Thrush was known as Wasp in one film. It also had a great theme
    Tune, like many 60s shows. :)
    The specific UNCLE paperback that tried to tie Moriarty into Thrush was called. The Dagger Affair. But information in the novel is in conflict with one episode. Details here:

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/08/05/speculation-could-u-n-c-l-e-and-holmes-be-tied-together/

Also, in the 1970s book "Son of Origin of Marvel Comics," Stan Lee says the motivation for SHIELD was to out-Bond Bond and out-UNCLE UNCLE, or words to that effect.
    Do we know any Holmes reference made by Ian Fleming?
    ggl007 wrote: »

In the novel "From Russia With Love", when the Russians decide which western secret service they ought to attack. When discussing MI 5 and the SIS, one of them says : "Of course, most of their strength lies in the myth - the myth of Scotland Yard, of Sherlock Holmes, of the Secret Service."

That's the only one I can think of at the moment.

In the novel "From Russia With Love", when the Russians decide which western secret service they ought to attack. When discussing MI 5 and the SIS, one of them says : "Of course, most of their strength lies in the myth - the myth of Scotland Yard, of Sherlock Holmes, of the Secret Service."

Thanks, @Gerard! I forget that!
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,535

Thanks, @Gerard! I had forgotten that!