Fleming's influence on S.H.I.E.L.D.

Because Fleming had a hand in creating "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." we have him to thank for S.H.I.E.L.D. as well.

HITFIX: How vividly do you actually remember the creation and the genesis of this S.H.I.E.L.D. world?
STAN LEE: I remember it very clearly! There had been a TV show called “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” and I thought to myself, “We ought to do a script that had that same feeling. So I came up with S.H.I.E.L.D. - Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law enforcement Division.

Interesting we have a SHIELD, UNCLE and Bond film all in one year.

Who remembers what U.N.C.L.E. stands for?

Comments

  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Posts: 3,669
    United Network Command for Law and Enforcement
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 16,312
    What did THRUSH stand for?
  • Posts: 5,343
    Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity, at least according to the novels. Founded by Col. Sebastian Moran after the death of Moriarty.
  • Posts: 1,413
    Yes it was in the novels but on the series itself it was just Thrush, the capital city from which the organization gets it's name.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2015 Posts: 16,312
    Gerard wrote: »
    Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity, at least according to the novels. Founded by Col. Sebastian Moran after the death of Moriarty.

    Thanks so much for that. I have a few of the novels somewhere. I knew that someone here would know the answer. :)

    Does that mean that Sherlock Holmes is linked with The Man From UNCLE then or have I grossly misread the situation? [I'm of course referring to the mention of Moriarty here].
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Posts: 2,512
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »
    Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity, at least according to the novels. Founded by Col. Sebastian Moran after the death of Moriarty.

    Thanks so much for that. I have a few of the novels somewhere. I knew that someone here would know the answer. :)

    Does that mean that Sherlock Holmes is linked with The Man From UNCLE then or have I grossly misread the situation?
    I had no idea about that. Were the novels before or after the series??
  • Posts: 1,413
    The novels were written during the series. Even the developer of the series intimated that Thrush was very much like Moriarty and his organization. In a very out-of-left-field way, the new U.N.C.L.E. film could be considered Guy Ritchie's next Sherlock Holmes film.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 16,312
    delfloria wrote: »
    The novels were written during the series. Even the developer of the series intimated that Thrush was very much like Moriarty and his organization. In a very out-of-left-field way, the new U.N.C.L.E. film could be considered Guy Ritchie's next Sherlock Holmes film.

    Thanks for that. Very interesting. I just recently got a good book on The Man From UNCLE.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Posts: 13,384
    I still have a few " Man from uncle" books, used to be able to pick them up in
    Markets etc. With the DVD box set ( only 5 films) I seem to remember a bit of
    Trivia, that Thrush was known as Wasp in one film. It also had a great theme
    Tune, like many 60s shows. :)
  • Posts: 2,115
    The specific UNCLE paperback that tried to tie Moriarty into Thrush was called. The Dagger Affair. But information in the novel is in conflict with one episode. Details here:

    https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/08/05/speculation-could-u-n-c-l-e-and-holmes-be-tied-together/

    Also, in the 1970s book "Son of Origin of Marvel Comics," Stan Lee says the motivation for SHIELD was to out-Bond Bond and out-UNCLE UNCLE, or words to that effect.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Posts: 2,512
    Do we know any Holmes reference made by Ian Fleming?
  • Posts: 5,343
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Do we know any Holmes reference made by Ian Fleming?

    In the novel "From Russia With Love", when the Russians decide which western secret service they ought to attack. When discussing MI 5 and the SIS, one of them says : "Of course, most of their strength lies in the myth - the myth of Scotland Yard, of Sherlock Holmes, of the Secret Service."

    That's the only one I can think of at the moment.

  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Posts: 2,512
    Gerard wrote: »
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Do we know any Holmes reference made by Ian Fleming?

    In the novel "From Russia With Love", when the Russians decide which western secret service they ought to attack. When discussing MI 5 and the SIS, one of them says : "Of course, most of their strength lies in the myth - the myth of Scotland Yard, of Sherlock Holmes, of the Secret Service."

    That's the only one I can think of at the moment.
    Thanks, @Gerard! I forget that!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,512
    Gerard wrote: »
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Do we know any Holmes reference made by Ian Fleming?

    In the novel "From Russia With Love", when the Russians decide which western secret service they ought to attack. When discussing MI 5 and the SIS, one of them says : "Of course, most of their strength lies in the myth - the myth of Scotland Yard, of Sherlock Holmes, of the Secret Service."

    That's the only one I can think of at the moment.

    Thanks, @Gerard! I had forgotten that!


Sign In or Register to comment.