SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

It's on:

WOW 8-} !!! As I expected! Car chase style?

--> "Quantum Of Solace"? NO!
    --> "Jason Bourne"? NOPE
    --> "Ronin"? YES
    --> "Bullitt"? YES YES YES!
    =P~

Damn, this will be a thrilling car chase, that is EASY to follow, with help of way smoother editing style and less fast-paced camerawork. Love it!
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,257
    "... the hero of the film Mr. Hinx is chasing his evil nemesis James Bond."

:))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    =)) great line.
    Here's an overview of official videos we have so far, including trailers:

12.04.2015: "SPECTRE" Teaser Trailer no#1 / Title Treatment:

02.11.2015: "SPECTRE" Videoblog no#1 "Austria shooting / Ice Chase":

02.26.2015: "SPECTRE" Videoblog no#2 "Pinewood shooting / UK shooting":

03.27.2015: "SPECTRE" Teaser Trailer no#2:

04.30.2015: "SPECTRE" Videoblog no#3 "Rome shooting / Car Chase":
  • RC7RC7
    Looks cool as fcuk and something we haven't seen in a Bond. Can't wait to see some footage.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    So excited, it's looking good. :D
    RC7 wrote: »
    Looks cool as fcuk and something we haven't seen in a Bond. Can't wait to see some footage.

I think the videoblogs do contain some real footage though. Especially the footage from those crane camera's. These are my thoughts on the 3rd vlog:

01. --> The cinematography of the Rome car chase seems to be more "classic" as compared to past-paced camerawork from recent action blockbusters, like "Furious 7", "Quantum Of Solace", "The Bourne Identity" and "Captain America: The Winter Soldier".
    02. --> Instead, I think the style of this car chase will be more comparable to classic movies like "Bullit" (Steve McQueen), "The French Connection" and the 1990's action thriller "Ronin".
    03. --> So I expect the camera-work (Hoyte van Hoytema) to be less fast paced, due to the use of camera cranes at higher altitudes, longer takes (5 sec's or more) and more side shots and wide shots from a larger distance, so you have a better overview of what's happening during the chase.
    04. --> There will be more and easier-to-see shots of the actual drivers, Mr Hinx and James Bond, inside their cockpits. This has been done by actually having cameramen as passengers inside the cars next to the actors.
    05. --> I expect more smoother and easier-to-follow editing work from Mr Lee Smith, as opposed to the fast-paced, sometimes dizzy-making editing style of editor Matt Chessé ("Quantum Of Solace").
    06. --> I wouldn't be surprised if this car chase will be one of the longest in cinematic history. The "Bullitt" car chase was more or less 7 minutes. Same with the "Ronin" car chase.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    SP is really shaping up to be an incredible film. It looks like it's going to be Craig's best which for me means it'll be a top 5 Bond movie.
    Damn, this will be a thrilling car chase, that is EASY to follow, with help of way smoother editing style and less fast-paced camerawork. Love it!
    You do know that the clips recorded from TV cameras are not the ones being used in the film, right?
    Zekidk wrote: »
    You do know that the clips recorded from TV cameras are not the ones being used in the film, right?

What do you think @Zekidk? I'm solely looking at the vlog. And most of those shots are from the camera's on the crane. The crane that's attached on that black Mercedes-Benz M-class, which was used for filming.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

What do you think @Zekidk? I'm solely looking at the vlog. And most of those shots are from the camera's on the crane. The crane that's attached on that black Mercedes-Benz M-class, which was used for filming.

That isn't actually footage, I'm sure. They're shooting at 24fps and it would have looked much different from the rest of the footage.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 11,119

That isn't actually footage, I'm sure. They're shooting at 24fps and it would have looked much different from the rest of the footage.

You don't know for sure yet. At least it could give us an idea on the style of camerawork. They are not using those black Mercedes-Benz cars with camera cranes solely for official videoboodschappen footage. And one thing is for sure. Those camera shots from those blogs were made by those cranes.

Just take in mind the footage from the official teaser trailer. The opening shot of the destroyed MI6-building is nearly identical to the location of the camera boat in the 2nd videoblog. Same with the long shot of Bond in that Austrian boat on Lake Altaussee.

In all honesty, the footage of the 3rd vlog really excites. Because although we don't know for sure if that footage will be used, you can derive the style of camerawork from it.
    Aside for the Aston and Jaguar of course, I only saw one car on the road. I suppose it could be very early in the morning, but still, I would think there would be a few more cars on the road. Seems a little unrealistic. We did only see a short clip so we'll see when the film is released...

I think Eon have been doing enough in terms of what they've shown from behind the scenes. Anyway, the film is still over 6 months away. The might very well have shot behind the scene interviews but don't plan to show them until closer to the release. Anyway, I don't want them to show too much as it ruins the film.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That's precisely the situation. The media tgat conducted ibterviews are under an embargo until closer to the time if SP's release.
    Dave Bautista: "... the hero of the film Mr. Hinx is chasing his evil nemesis James Bond."

:))

Awesome line. Witty. Maybe Dave gets to have a few witty lines. That would be awesome in a henchman.

Or maybe ... guys, what if that's a plot twist. What if it turns out that, from certain angles, Bond IS the villain in this piece? ;)

• edited May 2015 Posts: 3,168

What do you think @Zekidk? I'm solely looking at the vlog.
    No one knew that the car chase from QoS would end up as hard to follow chop-o-rama, when they were down there at Lake Garda shooting it. We really have no idea what kind of style this one will be either. But based on the movement of the camera cranes (this applies to the snow plane action sequence as well), I think we are in for one hell of a treat.
    You don't know for sure yet. At least it could give us an idea on the style of camerawork. They are not using those black Mercedes-Benz cars with camera cranes solely for official videoboodschappen footage. And one thing is for sure. Those camera shots from those blogs were made by those cranes.

Just take in mind the footage from the official teaser trailer. The opening shot of the destroyed MI6-building is nearly identical to the location of the camera boat in the 2nd videoblog. Same with the long shot of Bond in that Austrian boat on Lake Altaussee.

In all honesty, the footage of the 3rd vlog really excites. Because although we don't know for sure if that footage will be used, you can derive the style of camerawork from it.

As a filmmaker myself, I can safely assure you the footage in the vblog isn't footage from the Arri Alexa, the camera in which the film is being shot with. In fact, the average eye should be capable of noticing that the vblog footage doesn't represent anywhere close to the quality of film or image the Alexa can produce.

I'm 99.9% sure the footage is GoPro material, bearing in mind GoPro's, due to their small size, can easily be attached to the same the rig in which the A camera is operating from, which explains why the vblog footage appears to be from a crane of such.

Hopefully that explains all.
    mfmcgreal wrote: »

As a filmmaker myself, I can safely assure you the footage in the vblog isn't footage from the Arri Alexa, the camera in which the film is being shot with. In fact, the average eye should be capable of noticing that the vblog footage doesn't represent anywhere close to the quality of film or image the Alexa can produce.

I'm 99.9% sure the footage is GoPro material, bearing in mind GoPro's, due to their small size, can easily be attached to the same the rig in which the A camera is operating from, which explains why the vblog footage appears to be from a crane of such.

Which confirms more or less that some expectations could become reality. If GoPro and Alexa camera's have been attached on that very same rig/crane, then one could derive at least something from that.

But it makes me come up with a new question. Why would they do that.....using "cheap" GoPro equipment on those cranes? Solely for the vlog? Or as a means of testing? In any case, I do remember that with the QOS-car chase there weren't many "camera crane cars".
  • RC7RC7

Yeah, it's GoPro. None of it is actual footage.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 11,119
    RC7 wrote: »

Yeah, it's GoPro. None of it is actual footage.

I never said it's the actual footage. But one can at least derive some information from that vlog-footage and how it'll be translated into real final footage. Just study some of the shots from the teaser trailer. Especially those long one shots (Austria Lake Altaussee, River Thames London). And compare them with the footage from the vlog. It gives you an idea of what type of cinematography we can expect. Which is: More "Skyfall"-style, much less "Quantum Of Solace"-style.

Ah well, what do I know. Perhaps I'm just too enthusiastic. Perhaps I'm analyzing too much :-). Sorry for that.
  • RC7RC7
    I think we already have an idea from the hundreds of pics we got in Rome what sort of rigs, hence the type of shots, we'll be getting in this chase.

I just want to see some actual footage now.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 20
    Which confirms more or less that some expectations could become reality. If GoPro and Alexa camera's have been attached on that very same rig/crane, then one could derive at least something from that.

But it makes me come up with a new question. Why would they do that.....using "cheap" GoPro equipment on those cranes? Solely for the vlog? Or as a means of testing? In any case, I do remember that with the QOS-car chase there weren't many "camera crane cars".

The GoPro's are used to capture B roll footage which isn't solely for the vblog, but also captured so news outlets etc have material to include in their promotional pieces either during principal photography or upon release for the film.

And yes, since the GoPro's are attached to the same rigs as the Alexa, the GoPro footage can serve as a rough reference to how the Alexa footage may potentially look composition and movement wise, though of course a variety of lenses will have been used on the Alexa so forming accurate conclusions solely from the GoPro footage is impossible at this stage.

One thing that I found quite nice to see, is the way the Aston Martin DB10 seem to be much more of a racing car than the Jaguar. The Jaguar, although looking more "racy", more slim and faster, seems to be a bit more of a heavy-weight compared to the Aston Martin DB10 (Which is build around the chassis/body of a "normal" Aston Martin V8 Vantage). I truly think it's more fun to race with the DB10.
  • RC7RC7
    One thing that I found quite nice to see, is the way the Aston Martin DB10 seem to be much more of a racing car than the Jaguar. The Jaguar, although looking more "racy", more slim and faster, seems to be a bit more of a heavy-weight compared to the Aston Martin DB10 (Which is build around the chassis/body of a "normal" Aston Martin V8 Vantage). I truly think it's more fun to race with the DB10.

I think it works that the cars mirror the drivers. The DB10 has a classier look, where the Jag is a bit of beast, much like Hinx.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    More photos from the filming in Rome:
    CD6bFHxWYAEfYH5.jpg
    CD6bFHyWoAAkSVz.jpg
    aaron819 wrote: »
    More photos from the filming in Rome:
    CD6bFHxWYAEfYH5.jpg
    CD6bFHyWoAAkSVz.jpg

Wasn't the
    parachute landing
    scene shot in Piazza Trilussa and not on the Lungotevere ?
    These photos never work
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited May 2015 Posts: 1,756

Thankfully digital only for the action sequences (I think). Most of the film is being shot in Panavision XL2. :D But agreed.

EDIT: Wow I didn't know they were using VistaVision on this Bond film. I'm pretty sure it's the first Bond film to utilize such a quality format
    I thought SPECTRE was being filmed on Kodak 35mm?
  • Spectre is all being shot on film. Panavision for the bulk and spherical for 3 action sequences. No digital as far as I know.