• Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    edited February 2015 Posts: 299
    Well it's pop, no?

First place hands down the German winner of 2010

second place Estonia 2015

third Netherlands 2013

fourth Latvia 2015

fifth Italy 2011

I remember there were some interesting ones in the national contests, too.

Some wunderful selected entries from this year's contest. My personal frontrunners:

01) AUSTRIA (Eurovision meets Paul McCartney):

02) SLOVENIA (Eurovision meets Duffy):

03) ESTONIA (Eurovision meets Adèle):

04) BELGIUM (Eurovision meets Lorde):

05) NETHERLANDS (Eurovision meets Natalie Imbruglia):

06) LATVIA (Eurovision meets Madonna):

07) UNITED KINGDOM (Eurovision meets Caro Emerald):
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2015 Posts: 45,489
    The Norwegian final is tonight. I have heard snippets from all songs-they are all dreadful. I will skip it this year.

And my top five of the fourteen you listed:
    1 Kedvesem
    2 Calm after the storm
    3 Taken by a stranger
    4 Satellite
    5 Randajad
    Oh no it's not that time again already is it? %-(
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    You have your own contest to run, strike a bell?

Come now @RogueAgent . Please listen/watch the youtube movies....and then judge if it's tacky or cheesy music :-).
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Exactly my thoughts. I HATE the songfestival. Do like the Dutch song from last year (I'm Dutch, but it was the only good song).

Come now @RogueAgent . Please listen/watch the youtube movies....and then judge if it's tacky or cheesy music :-).
    JWPepper wrote: »
    Exactly my thoughts. I HATE the songfestival. Do like the Dutch song from last year (I'm Dutch, but it was the only good song).

Guys I respect that a lot of people do watch this, but being 40 years old and having given it plenty of opportunities in the past? I shall politely decline your kind offer! ;)

JWPepper wrote: »

Guys I respect that a lot of people do watch this, but being 40 years old and having given it plenty of opportunities in the past? I shall politely decline your kind offer! ;)

I respect that. I respect the fact that you decline "my offer" to properly listen to some of the above songs before criticising them. But then, I don't understand why you can say at this stage that you "hate" Eurovision and why you want to do this: %-( . If you haven't heard the songs, you don't need to stick your fingers in your ears in the first place :-).
    The first ever Australian entry. Damn, the British should be jealous. What a damn fff-ing good entry. Great soul/R&B/disco entry from Guy Sebastian:
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,119
    double post due to slow software??
    Also interesting, the voting procedures :-D! I did some statistics on this one. And it's absolutely not true that Eastern Europe and the Balkan are constantly winning thanks to neighbouring votes. In the past three years 5 "classic" Eurovision nations:

2012, 57th edition:

GOLD, 372 POINTS:
    --> Sweden (Northern Europe: 18 x "12 points", 5 x "10 points", 3 x "8 points")
    SILVER, 259 POINTS:
    --> Russia (Eastern Europe: 1 x "12 points", 5 x "10 points", 8 x "8 points")
    BRONZE, 214 POINTS:
    --> Serbia (Balkan: 4 x "12 points", 8 x "10 points", 2 x "8 points")

2013, 58th edition:

GOLD, 281 POINTS:
    --> Denmark (Northern Europe: 8 x "12 points", 7 x "10 points", 3 x "8 points")
    SILVER, 234 POINTS:
    --> Azerbaijan (Asia/Eastern Europe: 10 x "12 points", 3 x "10 points", 3 x "8 points")
    BRONZE, 214 POINTS:
    --> Ukraine (Eastern Europe: 5 x "12 points", 7 x "10 points", 4 x "8 points")

2014, 59th edition:

GOLD, 290 POINTS:
    --> Austria (Central Europe: 13 x "12 points", 7 x "10 points", 3 x "8 points")
    SILVER, 238 POINTS:
    --> The Netherlands (Western Europe: 8 x "12 points", 7 x "10 points", 5 x "8 points")
    BRONZE, 218 POINTS:
    --> Sweden (Northern Europe: 3 x "12 points", 6 x "10 points", 6 x "8 points")
    NicNac wrote: »
    As much as UK is a Eurovision outcast, the rest of Europe still recognise English as the language of rock and pop, singing in English for the most part.<br />
    <br />
    And every single act would love to break through in the UK, more than anywhere else. After USA we remain the major market for world pop.

The UK is no outcast. The BBC simply should send better songs and better stage performances to the contest. I honestly don't get it. When the UK is such a powerhouse in pop music, then WHY always treating Eurovision in such an offensive way by sending totally dated entries to the contest.

Take an example to The Netherlands. In all honesty, until 2012 The Netherlands were as good/bad as the UK on Eurovision, UNTIL the most famous Dutch singer stood up and wanted to go to Eurovision. Result? 9th place. And last year the incredible thing happened: 2nd!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2015 Posts: 4,415
    Predict:

1-2. Ijsland or Azerbajan
    3-4. Letland or Finland
    5. Australia
    6-10. Estonia (8th)
    11-16. Belgium (11th)
    17-21. The Netherlands (19th)

If we already be one of the 10 and possible not.

Problem always be that moost of time exept last year and mabey also a bit with Anouk be Live performance. The camera angel mabey be less of problem since then, but i am more worried about the audio of Trijntje Oosterhuis or/and she get problems with her voice.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Predict:

1-2. Ijsland or Azerbajan
    3-4. Letland or Finland
    5. Australia
    6-10. Estonia (8th)
    11-16. Belgium (11th)
    17-21. The Netherlands (19th)

If we already be one of the 10 and possible not.

Problem always be that moost of time exept last year and mabey also a bit with Anouk be Live performance. The camera angel mabey be less of problem since then, but i am more worried about the audio of Trijntje Oosterhuis or/and she get problems with her voice.

I'm absolutely not worried about Trijntje's voice. Her performance at last weekend's Eurovision In Concert is proof for that. She truly belts it out:

Based on this I'm pretty certain Netherlands is a qualifier. This would be my prediction for semi final #1:
    01. RUSSIA: I'm afraid it's going to happen, another "honest" peace-ballad
    02. ESTONIA: Lovely song, pretty staged, but not a winner
    03. GEORGIA: Ruslana-esque powersong, great G:Son-remix
    04. BELGIUM: Big potential, if videoclip can be brought alive on stage
    05. ROMANIA: Unique band, nice running order, artistically relevant
    06. DENMARK: Underestimated, will qualify, charming little band
    07. THE NETHERLANDS: "Irritating", effective melody, huge staging potential
    08. F.Y.R.o.MACEDONIA: Lovely quality entry from Macedonia, finally
    09. GREECE: Russian-esque Disney-ballad, though less memorable
    10. BELARUS: Catchy enough, OK staging potential with "Vanessa Mae"
    These countries miss out:
    11. ALBANIA: FYRoM and Romania are more memorable
    12. FINLAND: Novelty only works if amount of "sound" is memorable
    13. ARMENIA: Ralph Siegel goes Eastern Europe
    14. HUNGARY: Nice build-up in an obnoxious peace song
    15. SERBIA: Pity for her, as she is a good singer. Obnoxious song
    16. MOLDOVA: Compared to Belarus this is worse

And these would be my qualifiers from semi final #2:
    01. SWEDEN: I'm afraid Sweden will do it again two years after "Euphoria"
    02. SLOVENIA: Great starting grid, but foremost simple effective staging
    03. LATVIA: Unique pop entry: "Euphoria" meets France 1991
    04. AZERBAIJAN: Great and trendy, though slightly complicated ballad
    05. NORWAY: Unique song about a difficult subject, intimately staged
    06. ISRAEL: Not original, though unique as an up-tempo pop song
    07. CYPRUS: Intimate little pop-ballad, has a Tom Dice-feeling to it
    08. ICELAND: Interesting, though not original Scandi-schlager-song
    09. CZECH REPUBLIC: First time ever qualification for this country
    10. MONTENEGRO: One of the weakest Balkan-ballads I heard, but still..
    These countries miss out:
    11. IRELAND: Why did they gave Ireland such a bad starting slot
    12. POLAND: Dated ballad, will get some sympathy votes
    13. LITHUANIA: Pleasant enough opener, but not an "ear catcher"
    14. SWITZERLAND: Comes after string of 6 potential qualifiers
    15. MALTA: Not as "warrior" enough as Georgia
    16. SAN MARINO: Cute singers, but obnoxious song
    17. PORTUGAL: The Portuguese still don't learn it

And a first prediction of the TOP 14 of the Grand Final (left hand side of the scoreboard, remember, 27 countries participate in the Grand Final):
    01, GOLD. SWEDEN
    02, SILVER. AUSTRALIA *auto qualifier*
    03, BRONZE. AUSTRIA *auto qualifier*
    04. RUSSIA
    05. SLOVENIA
    06. LATVIA
    07. ESTONIA
    08. BELGIUM
    09. ISRAEL
    10. AZERBAIJAN
    Rest of the countries on the left hand side of the scoreboard:
    11. GEORGIA
    12. NORWAY
    13. THE NETHERLANDS
    14. ITALY *auto qualifier* or UNITED KINGDOM *auto qualifier*
    There is no ridicule in my question as I usually watch this show myself, but why do gay people love Eurovision so much?
    There is no ridicule in my question as I usually watch this show myself, but why do gay people love Eurovision so much?

I think....gay people are very "visual" in how they perceive the world. On top of that gay people tend to.....simply see things differently.

Eurovision is foremost a very visual competition, with lots of colors, clothes, countries, variation in songs, and it has a simple and strict string of continuity elements. Of which the competition element is the most interesting part.

For me personally the voting and the predicitions are the most exciting part of the contest.
    No need to be gay to like those things. No, try harder.
    No need to be gay to like those things. No, try harder.

But I really think this is the reason why gays like it so much. Off course you don't need to be gay for those arguments, but they are more visible among gay people.

It's the same with the Miss Universe and Miss World Pageant shows in Asia and South America. Also they tend to have a huge following of gay fans.

Perhaps gay people are also slightly more...."autistic"? With that I mean that there's a passion for lists, rankings, TOP 10's and other elements related to predictions. It's the reason why I love Eurovision. Seeing that scoreboard....is pure magic for me.

And because of that, you don't see so much gay fans of the Champions League.

I should be gay by those criteria, which I am not. (Sorry, fruits.) No, there must be something else. Try harder. Is it the bizarre element, the quirky underscore perhaps? The bearded ladies? I am often derogatory, but not this time. Not much, anyway, haha.

What would Mr Wint and Mr Kidd see as the highlights of the competition? (I can see them being autistic, by the way.)
    I should be gay by those criteria, which I am not. (Sorry, fruits.) No, there must be something else. Try harder. Is it the bizarre element, the quirky underscore perhaps? The bearded ladies? I am often derogatory, but not this time. Not much, anyway, haha.

What would Mr Wint and Mr Kidd see as the highlights of the competition? (I can see them being autistic, by the way.)

You can not find a black-and-white argument for that I think. Do you like Eurovision?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 45,489
    I watch it as I always have a favourite or two, may
    be three in a good year, and to see how it goes for Norway of course. There are always some nice chicks as well. The voting is exciting.

OMG, could I be unconciously gay? :-O :))
    :-P You are from Norway? There's a good chance Norway makes it into the TOP 14 again.
    When is the final?
    When is the final?

May 23rd. The Semi Final with Norway is May 21st. The one with The Netherlands is May 19th.
    Good luck to us all.
  • RetroBondRetroBond France
    Aaaaaand, France's gonna be last again.
    We really have a problem here. Our song would have been nice... 30 years ago...
    RetroBond wrote: »
    Aaaaaand, France's gonna be last again.
    We really have a problem here. Our song would have been nice... 30 years ago...

Some French entries I really liked, including the last one I liked from 2009:

1981, 3rd place:

1991, joint 1st place with Sweden:

2001, 4th place:

2002, 5th place:

2009, 8th place:

And after that.....I got disappointed in many French entries :-(.
  • RetroBondRetroBond France
    Yup, me too. I think that France doesn't want to organize the next Eurovision contest, so even if we have very talented groups & singers, we carefully choose those who don't have a chance.
    RetroBond wrote: »
    Yup, me too. I think that France doesn't want to organize the next Eurovision contest, so even if we have very talented groups & singers, we carefully choose those who don't have a chance.

A country's most talented musicians and singers participating in the Eurovision? Haha, that's a laugh! :))