The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

I also wonder if the two opening sequences of Living Daylights were not switched, especially given the 'scared the living daylights out of her' line to end the second sequence.
  • Hugely underated as Bond. Everybody claims DC portrayal of Bond is gritty and true to the novels, but watch Daltons films and he was doing that with much less hype and appreciation but with arguably more charisma. Licence to Kill was arguably the darkest, grittiest film of all and perhaps the best bond film, but people always overlook it and Dalton despite fawning over Daniel Craig portrayal which Dalton was doing before it became in vogue.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    To me Dalton, played the Bond of the Books.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    DrGorner wrote: »

Dalton is simply the most natural 007 there ever was, nothing about his performance or physique contradicts the original character.
    His tenure being cut so short is probably the greatest misfortune ever to befall a movie-franchise.
    AceHole wrote: »
    DrGorner wrote: »

Dalton is simply the most natural 007 there ever was, nothing about his performance or physique contradicts the original character.
    His tenure being cut so short is probably the greatest misfortune ever to befall a movie-franchise.

Wholeheartedly agree.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm watching HOT FUZZ for the first time. Dalton is excellent in this. He's basically doing a Bond villain riff.

Dalton completely steals the show in Hot Fuzz. The film wouldn't be nearly as good without him! And people say he can't do comedy? Yeah right... :-j
    jobo wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm watching HOT FUZZ for the first time. Dalton is excellent in this. He's basically doing a Bond villain riff.

Dalton completely steals the show in Hot Fuzz. The film wouldn't be nearly as good without him! And people say he can't do comedy? Yeah right... :-j

He can do comedy - WHEN IT'S SUITED TO HIM.

Hot Fuzz takes advantage of his theatrical background.

In the audio commentary Dalton said the most fun he ever had on a film was shooting out a car window at 70 mph during the final chase :))
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think this film is one of @thelivingroyale's favorites. Or at least one of his favorites with Dalton. Now I really want to see it. I have no idea what it would be called here, though! I wonder if I can find out online. I go to rent a film, and it may be known as something totally different, a different title. And then I am just stuck looking at row after row of dvd cases, looking at the pictures, trying to find the film I want. Example: I asked in words and writing it down if they had the first Thor film. Helpful store clerk tried hard, looked in computer every which way, and finally said no. Then, when the second Thor film came out, the first one was on the shelf next to it. Still no idea what it is called, but apparently not anything close to "Thor." ;)
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Now I wan't see Hot Fuzz with Japanese dubbing! That could be fun I think :)) But then everything is fun in Japanese. Even dark, deep Kurosawa films :)
  • I think this film is one of @thelivingroyale's favorites. Or at least one of his favorites with Dalton. Now I really want to see it. I have no idea what it would be called here, though! I wonder if I can find out online. I go to rent a film, and it may be known as something totally different, a different title. And then I am just stuck looking at row after row of dvd cases, looking at the pictures, trying to find the film I want. Example: I asked in words and writing it down if they had the first Thor film. Helpful store clerk tried hard, looked in computer every which way, and finally said no. Then, when the second Thor film came out, the first one was on the shelf next to it. Still no idea what it is called, but apparently not anything close to "Thor." ;)

Hot Fuzz is one of my favourites :) Really funny (best of that trilogy imo) and Dalton is brilliant in it, steals every scene he's in.

Pierce Brosnan had a small role in The Worlds End too so of that trilogy, Shaun Of The Dead is the only one without a Bond actor in.
  • I think this film is one of @thelivingroyale's favorites. Or at least one of his favorites with Dalton. Now I really want to see it. I have no idea what it would be called here, though! I wonder if I can find out online. I go to rent a film, and it may be known as something totally different, a different title. And then I am just stuck looking at row after row of dvd cases, looking at the pictures, trying to find the film I want.

@4EverBonded, have you tried looking up a film on Wikipedia, clicking on the 日本語 option on the language selection on the left-hand column, then copying that title down? I suppose you could do that with Google or another search engine if you read a little Japanese. Sorry if this was an obvious idea that occurred to you long ago, but it just came to mind! :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I think Dalton was best playing it straight. I did not find him so effective in the 'one liner' department. I think if it was up to him, he would just have dispensed with them all together, as he seemd a little uncomfortable with the whole thing.

I do enjoy his performances a lot more these days, particularly LTK which has really grown on me with time. It's gritty and quite real in a somewhat un-Bondian (for the films at least) way. However it also has some of the cliche's thrown in and they do seem a little out of place. I think the producers hadn't quite got it down yet in terms of how to make the character more serious while still appealing to a mass audience. They seem to have a much better way of doing that now with Craig, after years of experience with shaking the mix up. They were just getting started back then.

It's such a shame re: Dalton's run, because, like Lazenby, one looks back on it fondly and wonders how it could have developed with time and more movies under the belt.

Definitely an 'unsung hero' of the franchise. He deserves more props imo.
  • The is no discussion, Goldeneye would have been a great movie with Dalton in the role, hi is the one that comes closest to the Bond in Fleming's books, that the script in his first outing was not a well prepared script and some acting not up to par on his co-actors can only be blamed on EON. License to Kill, wild go down in history as one of the best Bond films.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    linglingqi wrote: »
    I think this film is one of @thelivingroyale's favorites. Or at least one of his favorites with Dalton. Now I really want to see it. I have no idea what it would be called here, though! I wonder if I can find out online. I go to rent a film, and it may be known as something totally different, a different title. And then I am just stuck looking at row after row of dvd cases, looking at the pictures, trying to find the film I want.

@4EverBonded, have you tried looking up a film on Wikipedia, clicking on the 日本語 option on the language selection on the left-hand column, then copying that title down? I suppose you could do that with Google or another search engine if you read a little Japanese. Sorry if this was an obvious idea that occurred to you long ago, but it just came to mind! :)

Nice idea, and sorry for the delay in reply. But often titles are not related to the actual English words. A direct translation would not often work.

• edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    the first hour or so of Hot Fuzz is comedy gold but it does go off the boil a bit towards the end. overall though very funny. great jokes, a bit of social satire, Jim Broadbent and the Daltonator. what more could you ask for?
  • Is anyone else here a fan of Penny Dreadful? Dalton is brillaint in that.
    only watched ten minutes of it with a rather bad (i thought) rory kinnear as a weepy monster
  • Is anyone else here a fan of Penny Dreadful? Dalton is brillaint in that.
    It's his meatiest role since Bond, no doubt.

In one of the later episodes (#7, perhaps?), there's a scene in which the possessed Vanessa (Eva Green) visualizes the unknown demon plaguing her as Dalton's character, Sir Malcolm... Dalton is terrific playing "suavely evil" in it.

Back in the day he would have made a dynamite Count Dracula!

good to see him getting some decent roles. hope it leads on to bigger and better stuff
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Just found this video celebrating David Tennants departure from Doctor Who: our man The Daltonator has a short appearance at the 2.33 mark-

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I've never seen that, excellent. Good to see Timbo joining in the fun.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That was great @MayDayDiVicenzo! Doubly so as I'm also a Tennant Who fan!
    Great video, I'd never seen it. :)) thanks for posting.
  • linglingqi wrote: »
    I think this film is one of @thelivingroyale's favorites. Or at least one of his favorites with Dalton. Now I really want to see it. I have no idea what it would be called here, though! I wonder if I can find out online. I go to rent a film, and it may be known as something totally different, a different title. And then I am just stuck looking at row after row of dvd cases, looking at the pictures, trying to find the film I want.

Nice idea, and sorry for the delay in reply. But often titles are not related to the actual English words. A direct translation would not often work.

Sorry, @4EverBonded, for this even later reply, but, what I mean is it would not be a direct translation, but rather the actual Japanese version of the Wikipedia page for the film. Perhaps it might help down the road!
    Is anyone else here a fan of Penny Dreadful? Dalton is brillaint in that.

He's brilliant in it! So is the whole series.

Great programme. =D> Dalton is brilliant in it.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Dalton chews up any scene he is in, regardless of the quality of the material.

He is one of those rare actors who is as capable of hamming it up just as well as he can underplay a subtle role. He does both to perfection.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    AceHole wrote: »
    Dalton chews up any scene he is in, regardless of the quality of the material.

He is one of those rare actors who is as capable of hamming it up just as well as he can underplay a subtle role. He does both to perfection.

I'd add Charles Dance too, him and Dalton are simply epic to watch, and whenever I see them appear in a film, I know I'm in for a masterclass of acting.

More well known actors like them would be Nicholson and Malkovich, but I prefer Dalton and Dance because they deserve a lot of recognition.
    I'd add Charles Dance too, him and Dalton are simply epic to watch, and whenever I see them appear in a film, I know I'm in for a masterclass of acting.
    I was somewhat surprised that Dalton was not considered for a role in GAME OF THRONES, which it seems he'd be perfect for.

Would've been great to see him square off against Dance in that.

PENNY DREADFUL is terrific, though, and I look forward to Season 2.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Wow @CraterGuns, Dalton in Game of Thrones alongside Dance? I don't think I ever heard a more brilliant idea! :-bd