The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I completely agree. When Bond improvises, we usually see some incredible stunt or action sequence. When his watch fails him in LALD, he improvises, giving us the iconic croc run. In TND's PTS, he could've turned back the way he came, but instead, he targets the jet. It shows how on the ball Bond is- always checking his surroundings, planning an escape route in advance. Also, as mentioned, having Bond improvise helps flesh out the script and make it more interesting than just him tackling the mission by the book.
    Right. I completely missed the point.
    It certainly for me add to the film if this can be done? I like the gadgets so do not get me wrong? But to see Bond improvise and use his wits can be just as if not more rewarding. So I agree with the thesis.
    In which movies does he improvise leas, when does he mostly follow the plan without it turning too much against him? YOLT maybe? TSWLM, MR?
  • Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    edited April 2015 Posts: 127
    Improvising is inherent to the psychology of the Bond character. If one would do a MBTI assessment of the character, analysis would show that Bond is clearly a 'perceiving' character, meaning that he relies on improvisation of the situation at hand.

In short: 007 can get out of any tough spot thanks to his improvisation.
    Improvising is inherent to the psychology of the Bond character. If one would do a MBTI assessment of the character, analysis would show that Bond is clearly a 'perceiving' character, meaning that he relies on improvisation of the situation at hand.

In short: 007 can get out of any tough spot thanks to his improvisation.

And I'd add that the villain is good at organizing and planning. Even great at it.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    It is trade mark of Bond that he improvise, but the Bond in DC Bond have to much improvisation.
    @Ludovico Nice observation there! Can't think of a main villain that isn't. Usually that's more the henchman's area.

I wonder what would happen if Bond came across one that would match Bond's skill for improvisation...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @Ludovico Nice observation there! Can't think of a main villain that isn't. Usually that's more the henchman's area.

I wonder what would happen if Bond came across one that would match Bond's skill for improvisation...

Like Max Zorin, you mean?

Like Max Zorin, you mean?

He was also more of an organizer. Maybe Scaramanga from the novel was less of an organizer.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I think 006 was probably good at improvisation.
    Closer, but still more like a "man with a plan". 007 follows his plan initially in GE to infiltrate the facility. Alec goes hysteric when his plan, firing another GE-sattelite at London, seems to fail. Finally, it was Trevelyan's plan all along to plot a grand revenge scheme against England.

@Ludovico is right that Scaramanga from the novel was maybe less of an organiser. Maybe Rosa Klebb? Reinard from TWINE, since it was Elektra's plan all along?
    Rosa Klebb pretty much carried on an elaborate plan and did not changed it unless ordered to do so. In fact FRWL is pretty much the story of two plans, one from SPECTRE encompassing the other from MI6, being challenged and destroyed.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 324</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The character of Charles Robinson could fit into the Craig era.</b></font>

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't see why not. The Judi Dench M fit into the Craig era, why not Robinson? They could have passed it off exactly as they did M, a similar character played by the same actor who was different from the one pre-reboot.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No thanks. He could, but why? As boring as Tanner, but without the Fleming origin.

I liked Michael Kitchen as Tanner, never cared for Robinson. Come to think of it, they should have kept Kitchen instead of recasting with Kinnear. He is as dull as a butterknife.
    He filled a gap before but just no need with Tanner and Felix in the mix these days.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I like Colin Salmon, but Robinson was useless. The only 'fighting' he did in 3 films was during the Virtual Reality attack on MI6, and he even got shot in it.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I think that Charles would be a welcome addition to any Bond film. As for the Craig era specifically, it would make much more sense to have Charles out in the field with Bond instead of Moneypenny.
    I was never a big fan of Robindon either. He'd be redundant as a character. Kitchen may have been the best Tanner but now he's too old.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    No thanks. He could, but why? As boring as Tanner, but without the Fleming origin.

I liked Michael Kitchen as Tanner, never cared for Robinson. Come to think of it, they should have kept Kitchen instead of recasting with Kinnear. He is as dull as a butterknife.

I agree with every word of this.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2015 Posts: 15,696
    Similarly to Robert Brown in TSWLM only to come back in OP as M, I'd have liked Kitchen as M starting in CR.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I think Fiennes is a better a stronger choice personally.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I like Rory Kinnear - he complements Craig well.

Colin Salmon towered over the already tall Pierce Brosnan. He would make Craig look like a munchkin
    Similarly to Robert Brown in TSWLM only to come back in OP as M, I'd have liked Kitchen as M starting in CR.

Funny me too!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

It is only very rarely I can say I agree 100% with someone on here but I really can't argue with a syllable of that.

Personally I might have said Rory is as dull as the instruction manual to a Breville sandwich toaster rather than a butterknife - but I'm nitpicking here.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 324</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The character of Charles Robinson could fit into the Craig era.</b></font>

Disagree. Only from the point of view that Tanner has around the same amount of screen time as him. Would sooner see more of Villiers to be honest instead.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 325</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The Craig Bonds generally have the strongest final scenes.</b></font>
    Agree: Not once as he had a bedroom scene with his leading lady yet?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yes, very much so.