SPECTRE: So, who's that bullet meant for?

edited April 2015 in SPECTRE Posts: 11,119
Not many people have discussed this narrative plot element yet. And I believe there are fans who say there are no real narrative implications to that bullit hole as seen here:
gQfhO0k.jpg
But I think it's actually part of the story. And I firmly believe the bullit hole could give away something. Could "SPECTRE" indeed contain....a wedding? Or will an important character in "SPECTRE" be shot?

But most importantly, do you think the title-reveal on December 4th 2014, showing the SPECTRE-logo embedded in a bullit hole, was actually the first real teaser? Do you believe the bullit hole is a vital plot element?

Comments

• edited April 2015 Posts: 832
    I was actually reading up a bit on bond history the other day, and
    apparently Peter Hunt thought that it would be interesting to end OHMSS with the marriage and begin DAF with the Tracy's death. He decided against this when Lazenby decided to quit. I'm pretty much convinced now, especially with that "we have all the time in the world" line at the end, that Madeleine will return in the next film and die in the first scene.
    But will this Bullitt hole happen in SP? Will an important character be shot during the film? I don't think that bullet hole is merely beautiful visual marketing, appealing to hard-core fans. I believe it's part of the plot, the storyline. And obviously someone from S.P.E.C.T.R.E. will fire the shot, creating a dramatic moment...
    Too hard to resist :

To answer the title of this thread : Steve McQueen.
  • RC7RC7
    But will this Bullitt hole happen in SP? Will an important character be shot during the film? I don't think that bullet hole is merely beautiful visual marketing, appealing to hard-core fans. I believe it's part of the plot, the storyline. And obviously someone from S.P.E.C.T.R.E. will fire the shot, creating a dramatic moment...

My instinct says it's purely a clever visual nod to OHMSS especially for the hardcore fans and an intriguing bit of graphic design for the less well acquainted. To us the bullet hole speaks volumes, to the masses it's the tentacles. I think it's just a neat bit of graphic design.
    RC7 wrote: »

My instinct says it's purely a clever visual nod to OHMSS especially for the hardcore fans and an intriguing bit of graphic design for the less well acquainted. To us the bullet hole speaks volumes, to the masses it's the tentacles. I think it's just a neat bit of graphic design.

Could be, but Empire Magazine also told us that Bond-girl Madeleine Swann is
    as complex as previous Bond-girls Tracy Bond and Vesper Lynd
    . I also think it sounds rather..."empty" to just appeal to hardcore fans like this, without actually using the bullit hole as a narrative in "SPECTRE". I don't know, but my gut tells me it will be part of the plot.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sometimes a bullet hole is just a bullet hole. I'm inclined to agree with what @RC7 said
  • RC7RC7

. I also think it sounds rather..."empty" to just appeal to hardcore fans like this, without actually using the bullit hole as a narrative in "SPECTRE". I don't know, but my gut tells me it will be part of the plot.

I've no doubt that Madeleine
    is pivotal, but I don't believe she'll die in this movie. I get the impression she'll be back in 25. I get the feeling this is purely a Blofeld 'origin' film, for want of a better phrase. I'm guessing she'll be back.
    The bullet motif means something to the hardcore, while to others it's more than likely typical Bondian visual grammar.

is pivotal, but I don't believe she'll die in this movie. I get the impression she'll be back in 25. I get the feeling this is purely a Blofeld 'origin' film, for want of a better phrase. I'm guessing she'll be back.
    The bullet motif means something to the hardcore, while to others it's more than likely typical Bondian visual grammar.

Do you think Bond will marry in "SPECTRE" @RC7 :-)?
  • RC7RC7

No. Definitely not.

No. Definitely not.

You certain?
  • RC7RC7

No. Definitely not.

You certain?

As much as Mendes has made it clear that he isn't aversed to copying or borrowing specific ideas, moments, visuals etc I refuse to believe he'd channel OHMSS in such an explicit way.
    the bullet hole is simply a reminder of what SPECTRE is capable of doing
    Kostas_P wrote: »

Or perhaps Bond later during the movie uncovers an assassination plot on the British prime minister?

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Kostas_P wrote: »

Or perhaps Bond later during the movie uncovers an assassination plot on the British prime minister?
    We'll see in November. ;)
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 159
    That would be a terrible scenario
    I wonder if Bond will marry in bond25? Honestly I don't think it's necessary, once is enough. You can have a love scenario like with vesper without a marriage. You know what would be interesting? If instead of killed at the beginning of bond 25, malalaine is CAPTURED, sand somewhere along the road, like the beginning/ middle of the film, she is killed in front of himThe the rest of it can be a revenge film.
    Bit of guess here: how about the bullet hole being integrated in the gunbarrel and the subsequent PT?
    I wonder what would happen if, finally getting a Gunbarrel at the start of a Craig Bond film, they did add a bullet hole? The amount of discussion over the GB placement shows that there is strong feelings about it. I think certain sections of our fandom would throw a fit if they changed the GB yet again, even if it's at it's "rightful place" at the start.

There was enough anger over the bullet flying through the GB in DAD, we haven't had a regular opening since TWINE. I think that if SPECTRE's is at the start, it should be traditional.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 591
    This could just be a little homage. It doesn't have to mean what a lot of people are saying about Swann. It could just be "here's a reference to OHMSS, because we're re-introducing the villain from that film and because we have a sequence in the snow."

It could be that simple.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,068
    This could just be a little homage. It doesn't have to mean what a lot of people are saying about Swann. It could just be "here's a reference to OHMSS, because we're re-introducing the villain from that film and because we have a sequence in the snow."

It could be that simple.

Yes, that'd be what I've been feeling about the gunshot. I'd bet to casual observers of Bond, many don't even get the tentacles so the link to the past is only relevant to diehard fans and it's introduction of SPECTRE as an evil organisation in this Bond timeline.

Why would it be more than a passing link to Tracy and OHMSS, where DC's lost love is Vesper!?
    Hell, some people watching the teaser have been commenting "Hail Hydra" in regard to the ring. I think the rest is lost on them :/ Do they even realise that SPECTRE predates HYDRA by at least 4 years...
    Yeah, I have to agree, I think the bullet-through-glass motif is purely to evoke SPECTRE at their most lethal in one iconic image.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    While I also first thought that it was most likely there just to evoke the importance of SPECTRE to the die-hard fans, I have a feeling it could actually be something more for the following reasons:

1. They did show the bullet actually breaking the glass in the teaser (and it looked fantastic and chilling) just before the Bond theme kicks in - seems like they want to emphasize this.

2. I don't see how they could go to all this effort to create a backstory for the organization and its leader (which I believe they are doing for SP) and then not retell the story that more than anything makes him that significant to James Bond as a villain. Unless they are planning to paper over the timelines in future movies and sort of let us assume that the Tracy episode just occured as it did in OHMSS, they will likely have to either remake or reimagine it at some point, if one thinks about this logically. I'm against this personally, but I think it's inevitable since they are reintroducing the organization in a new timeline now, rather than just continuing on from the old timeline.
    Seriously?
    It's a bullet hole that looks like the spectre logo.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It would be hard to convince me that it is not consciously put there to invoke memories of Tracy, and the links to Blofeld and SPECTRE therein. So much of the marketing of tho film seems heavily geared to hard core fans, so far.

So there are two marketing targets? One aimed at today's audiences with little knowledge of Bond history, and the other for those of us who remember Bond and Tracy, but must remind ourselves those events have not happened yet. I can't wait to see where this goes.

What if the new films subvert the old. Bond kills "Blofeld"'s lover, causing "Blofeld" to go on a personal vendetta against Bond?
    JCRendle wrote: »
    What if the new films subvert the old. Bond kills "Blofeld"'s lover, causing "Blofeld" to go on a personal vendetta against Bond?

I would actually prefer that scenario or something else. I'm not a fan of redo's so I hope they don't go down that path. We've already had OHMSS and it's a great, unique film among the 23 official films - very close to the book. We don't need it to be redone.
    bondjames wrote: »

I would actually prefer that scenario or something else. I'm not a fan of redo's so I hope they don't go down that path. We've already had OHMSS and it's a great, unique film among the 23 official films - very close to the book. We don't need it to be redone.

In a way, the novels "Thunderball" and "Octopussy" are being redone as well. Albeit loosely, and with a flair of re-imaginative thinking. If the bullet is part of a dramatic scene in "SPECTRE", then I fully trust the creative minds behind the film to do it with a different twist, completely reimagined, as compared to "OHMSS"

In a way, the novels "Thunderball" and "Octopussy" are being redone as well. Albeit loosely, and with a flair of re-imaginative thinking. If the bullet is part of a dramatic scene in "SPECTRE", then I fully trust the creative minds behind the film to do it with a different twist, completely reimagined, as compared to "OHMSS"

OP more than TB, but yes. Scarria seems to have a bit of Largo.

I stick to my hyothesis: gunbarrel and then part of the PTS.

Agreed. They've shown they are capable of being suitably creative and interesting, based on the previous film.