Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Oh, my taste in music is all over the place too. ;) everything from heavy metal
    To opera. :D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    DrGorner wrote: »
    It's getting some very bad reviews elsewhere. Mark Kermode hated it.

I hear you on the reviews, and it's certainly not Oscar worthy, but given the dearth of action product out there now, it's worth a look if you're like me and have been suffering through the winter paucity.

Taken 3 got lambasted too, but I enjoyed it so I'm probably not a good barometer for these things. Like I said, similar to November Man or the original Taken in a way, but not as good.

I know that we all like " what we like" but I find with M Kermode, we seem to be on the same wave length as far as movies go. So I'll probably watch " The Gunman" but on
    DVD , not in there cinema. As at the end of the day I do love a car chase, fight scene and a few explosions. :D
    The Guest. Initially I thought Dan Stevens had probably ended his acting career by abandoning Downton Abbey, but having seen him in this and Walk Among the Tombstones, he's made himself over, and he's a quite a menacing villain.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @CrabKey, what were the rest of your thoughts on 'The Guest'? You're one of the first I've spotted on here who has also seen it, so I'm curious.
    Megaforce (1982)
    220px-Megaforceposter.jpg

Oh man, if awesomely bad movies are your thing you gotta check out Megaforce. Apparently it is quite well known amongst people who like this kind of shlock - laughs a plenty here with a rockin' 80s soundtrack.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SJK91 wrote: »
    Megaforce (1982)
    220px-Megaforceposter.jpg

Oh man, if awesomely bad movies are your thing you gotta check out Megaforce. Apparently it is quite well known amongst people who like this kind of shlock - laughs a plenty here with a rockin' 80s soundtrack.
    The Hollywood laugh riot version of Road Warrior. So bad it's funny.
    Just finished Big Hero 6, for the second time now. I must say personally I was let down by Wreck-It Ralph (not bad, just eh) and Frozen (incredibly overrated imo), but Big Hero 6 is my favorite Disney Classic of this decade. It had a lot of new stuff we had never seen in a Disney Classic before, and it just felt fresh. The characters were all interesting, the story was solid, but of course, Baymax is the main highlight. Highly recommended film for anyone who enjoys Disney films.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Oh, my taste in music is all over the place too. ;) everything from heavy metal
    To opera. :D

Excellent. Having one's taste all over the place sounds good to me. :P I always feel sorry for the poor bastards who have very limited tastes in any art.

Blue Jasmine - I watched this for Cate Blanchett, and ok, she was good, but I didn't think that the movie was particularly good. If Woody Allen had been in it himself I wouldn't have watched even for Cate, but since he wasn't I thought there was a small chance I might enjoy it, but Vicky Christina Barcelona still remains the only one. (Not that I've seen them all anyway.)

Australia - I like Hugh Jackman and I like Nicole Kidman and the kid is cute, but... well... It was sorta ok, I guess. All the drama just never felt real to me.

X-Men - Like I said, I like Hugh, but not this much. I had seen the 1st one of these way back when and the only thing I remembered was that it didn't make any impression on me and I was never tempted to watch the movies that followed. But, stubborn that I am, I tried again. Still didn't care for it. Tried to watch 2nd and 3rd, but yawnnnnn... I guess I'll still have to try and watch The Wolverine, though, since James Mangold directed it, damn...

Iron Man - I like RDJ, too, and liking the actors always helps a bit. This one managed to hold my interest, unlike the various X-men. I decided to get myself acquainted with the Marvel stuff to get some idea of what all the fuss is about. Continuing chronologically from here...

Mio In The Land Of Far Away - well... I sort of watched this. It was all in Swedish and my Swedish is totally crappy, so I didn't even bother trying to understand what people were saying, and fast-forwarded a lot of it. I tried to get an English copy of the film, but oh well... The fact that the original English language version that it was shot in was not available on the dvd is ridiculous. Why the bloody hell not? (I know it wasn't, that didn't come as a surprise, but it just doesn't make much sense.) Anyway, it's an 80s kids' film that looked kinda bad, and having to watch it dubbed in Swedish didn't help at all (I read the story from Wikipedia... that cleared up some stuff, ehem), but I consider I've seen it now, regardless, and cross it off the list. *rolls eyes at self*

Les Misérables - I don't generally like musicals - partly because I usually find the music in musicals boring, pompous or downright irritating... Chicago being one notable exception from recent times... I liked the music so much I even bought the cd. But, here, again, well... yeah... Anyway, the cast is mostly - almost entirely - very good, and the movie looks good, too. I'm sure I'd like this more if it wasn't a musical, but considering the mostly depressing story and the length and the pompous music and all, it was still surprisingly watchable, even quite enjoyable.

Cinderella Man - I liked this a lot, far more than I expected. Maybe it just hit me (OUCH!) on the right night. Brutal to watch at times, but damned good. And Mr. Crowe was lovely. :)

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,632
    <font color=#003300>DD's Kevin Smith Movie Retrospective</font>
    <font color=#334455 size=5><b>06</b>Jersey Girl (2004)</font>
    large_d8Qf8wVQV3K4Nl3KBuVNHMBCxgw.jpg

Ben Affleck apparently liked working Kevin Smith so much that he practically begged the man to write him another movie which Smith could then direct. Particularly after the disappointments of Gigli and Daredevil, Affleck really needed a good film. But was Jersey Girl that film?

The way I see it, Jersey Girl is Smith's first true non-Viewaskew movie. No Jay or Silent Bob then. Instead we have Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez (yes, "Bennifer") in what at first looks like something way off Smith's usual kind of movies; some sort of romantic comedy, a real genre product. Then suddenly a dramatic turn of events hits me like a hammer in the face and I have my mouth wide open, totally confused as to what will come next...

The film swiftly picks up its lighter tone with the help of a great Liv Tyler (best Tyler performance I have seen, I must admit, and a nice Armageddon reunion). But true magic comes from the deliciously talented Raquel Castro, one of the best cases of kid acting ever if you ask me.

Jersey Girl is basically the kind of light comedy/drama film we've seen a gazillion times before and even Smith's occasional trademark humour doesn't elevate it to something more. But you know what? I like this movie. Can't help it, I'm sorry. I know that Jersey Girl received a lot of bad criticism and I don't even like the genre. Still, I sat down to give this film a fair chance and found myself both entertained and even touched by it. This is also the film that got me warmed up to Ben Affleck. Say what you want about him - and I used to really not like Affleck - but of all films I've seen him in, "box office bomb" Jersey Girl is the one that turned me into something of an Affleck supporter.

Though nothing original, Jersey Girl put a smile on a my face. I honestly think Smith improved a great deal on his filmmaking here. That great scene in the third act with Affleck and Will Smith (playing Will Smith) settled the deal: I'm willing to accept every negative comment you might want to hurl at me for liking Jersey Girl but I like this film and I cannot lie.

The verdict

Jersey Girl (2004): 8/10
    Chasing Amy (1997): 7,5/10
    Dogma (1999): 7/10
    Clerks (1994): 7/10
    Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back (2001): 6/10
    Mallrats (1995): 4/10
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DarthDimi, I love 'Jersey Girl.' I rewatched it for the umpteenth time a few weeks ago and loved it just as much as I did on my first go around.

*locks arms with Dimi and prepares for negative comments*
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 13,905
    I'm not a fan of Kevin Smith as a movie maker, but I am addicted to his smodcast with Ralph Garman.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I've started to rewatch the Star Wars films. I started with the prequels, I haven't seen them in years, and this means the better episodes will be for last.

I just finished Phantom Menace. As a kid I loved this film, and I confess I quite liked Jar Jar Binks too. Now, however, I was not amused. Jar Jar is by far the most irritating character I have ever seen, and I rather have a buddy action film with Jinx and Christmas Jones than see him again. The movie is very, very boring and just cringe worthy, young Anakin also got on my nerves quickly. Only good points were the soundtrack (during the final battle), the Darth Maul fight and Liam Neeson. The rest is completly forgettable, even the pod race which looked great when I was younger but now felt tedious, and the special effects haven't aged well. The whole section on Tatooine almost put me to sleep.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    JAGTEN (THE HUNT)

Mads Mikkelsen is awesome in this Danish film about a kindergarten employee who gets wrongfully accused of being a pedophile. Chilling and realistic film, based on real life events in Norway in the 90s.
    @Creasy47, we can be like Jay and Silent Bob. So, which one of us is the fat one? :)

@MajorDSmythe, that podcast is funny and productive. It spawned its own film, which I'm gonna get to in a few more movie reviews: Tusk. ;-) it's something of a horror flick so you might like it. ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've heard alllll about Tusk. ;)
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,632
    <font color=#003300>DD's Kevin Smith Movie Retrospective</font>
    <font color=#334455 size=5><b>07</b>Clerks II (2006)</font>
    c2b.jpg

Since Jersey Girl hadn't been too big a success and with the fans screaming for more Randal, Dante, Jay and Silent Bob, it made sense for Smith to return to the film that started it all. Thus came Clerks II, the sequel to 1994's Clerks, and this time, it would be in colour...

Dante and Randal find their little store burned down and so they need to relocate their business. Fast forward some time and the clerks are now serving hamburgers and fries under the efficient supervision of Rosario Dawson. While we spend most of our time just talking about Star Wars versus Lord Of The Rings, a certain... uh... troll down "there", and much more, there's a also a romantic conflict with Dante having to choose between Rosario or Jennifer Schwalbach Smith. Somehow, Jay and Silent Bob were relocated too and Jay celebrates by giving us one of the finest Buffalo Bill from Silence Of The Lambs acts ever! Oh, and there's also a donkey performing... look, I'm not going to discuss that part here. ;-)

Clerks II too may seem like more-of-the-same, but this time I'm actually cracking up a lot. I love Affleck's cameo, Trevor Fehrman is hilarious and Jeff Anderson's Randal isn't hardly as annoying this time. There are some really nice moments - Smith is growing up too, you know - but also a few extremely memorable juvenile jokes. And just to remind you: Mewes' impersonation of Ted Levine's Buffalo Bill is absolutely WTF level superb! :D

If you have some love for these characters, and if you have watched "An Evening With Kevin Smith", particularly the third show where he talks about the making of this movie, then you will like Clerks II. It's like having a reunion with a bunch of really good friends. And the fans responded kindly too. The movie made five times its budget at the BO and there's talk about a third film. If the goods are delivered in the same way, I want it. Bottom line, I'm going to recommend Clerks II as one of Smith's better films, BUT I can honestly say that for those who never saw Clerks or any of the other Viewaskewfilms, it will have little to offer.

The verdict

Clerks II (2006): 8,5/10
    Jersey Girl (2004): 8/10
    Chasing Amy (1997): 7,5/10
    Dogma (1999): 7/10
    Clerks (1994): 7/10
    Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back (2001): 6/10
    Mallrats (1995): 4/10
    I loved Clerks, but did not even know there was a Clerks II. Will check it out if I find it. Thanks for the recommendation, dear sithlord.
    At your service, oh Lord of the Thunder. :-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Attack of the Clones Still quite awful compared to the original trilogy, but I would say it's about 3 or 4 times better than Episode 1. I had forgotten Jar Jar had a 'cameo' here so I was horrified but it was nowhere near as bad as the previous film. The actor who plays an older Anakin is as charismatic as a tree but atleast he is not irritating like the young Anakin of before. The huge action set piece at the end was quite entertaining and I thought it's worth watching the film just for that epic battle.

Revenge of the Sith This one is about 10 times better than Episode 2. I had only seen it once in cinemas back in 2005, since then I've seen the original trilogy and I would say I would rank this one close those 3 films. The whole battle at the start is epic, and the sequence at the end when Anakin becomes Darth Vador is just cinematic brilliance IMO. And this is the only film in the prequel trilogy that doesn't stop dead on it's track in the middle part. The actor who plays Anakin was also much, much better here than in 'Clones'.
    I feel the other way. Christensen was way worse than Lloyd. The kid did pretty well. The grown up kid was horrendous, maybe worse than Binks.
    @Thunderfinger I thought the kid (Lloyd?) was just irritating. I admit that the older Anakin was as exciting as a wooden plank, but he didn't get on my nerves. He was just sort of 'there'.
    I can understand that, but the kid was just a kid. I expect less from them. Surely they could have gotten a better twenty-something than Hayden.
    Taken (2008) Fast paced action movie. Absolutely love this one.
    Looper, odd time travel film, not much action and an odd story, glad I didn't
    Pay to see it at the cinema.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Looper, odd time travel film, not much action and an odd story, glad I didn't
    Pay to see it at the cinema.

I saw it in the cinema. I wasn't impressed with it either. Very overrated.

I watched "The Raven" last night. Fictional story about the last days of Edgar Allan Poe played by John Cusack as he is called on to help solve murders based on his stories. I actually enjoyed it. Critics bashed it, but I found it as a decent way to spend a few hours.

• SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    After buying Gone Girl on Blu-Ray, I watched all of David Fincher's movies again.
    And here's a ranking.

Se7en - 10/10
    Fight Club - 10/10
    Zodiac - 10/10
    The Social Network - 9/10
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 9/10
    Gone Girl - 9/10
    Panic Room - 9/10
    The Game - 8/10
    The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - 7/10
    Alien 3 - 4/10
    I watched Looper in the cinema and glad I did. Terrific movie!
    Kill the Messenger. Illustrates how the main stream press is often an ally of Big
    Brother against the Little Guy.
    A New Hope Simply an amazing film. Just an endless succession of epic scenes, the moment you see Han Solo for the first you know he's going to be a proper badass. The rescue of Leia on the death star is just awesome! And of course, how can I forget Chewie, my favorite character in the franchise along with Han!

Empire Strikes Back Even better than IV. The whole sequence in the snow at the begining is breathtaking, and the film just never stops being a threat for my excitement. And what a cliffhanger at the end with Han Solo! And the scene where Darth Vador reveals his true identity to Luke never ceases to knock me off my chair. I can't wait to see Episode VI tonight. :D