Who do YOU give 11/10? (final appreciation)

Comments

• edited November 2011 Posts: 584
    Tie between Lazenby and Barry. Lazenby provided the most emotional and real Bond that was legendary at the time - I still highly regard his performance in the final scene as the best, while Barry created the most exciting and powerful score yet to match George's performance.
  • Mine goes to John Barry too. 11/10 also for Louis Armstrong for singing the most Bondian song of all time, We have all the time in the world.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 1,497
    I have to go with Peter Hunt. Reason being because he drew out the emotional performance of first time actor Lazenby. That, combined with the excellent location scouting, the orchestration of the incredible action sequences, as well the overall conversion of Fleming's best story to film.

John Barry is a 10/10 performance here. I feel he did equally impressive work on DAF and also YOLT and GF. In fact I would give John Barry 1964-1971 an 11/10 as far as film scoring goes. But for OHMSS he's carrying on this tradition of great film scoring, where he's been for a few years. So Peter Hunt is the real standout for OHMSS as far as really rising to the occasion.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Just discovered this thread. Catherina von Schell and John Barry are battling here strongly for my 11/10 vote. Ultimately, I'm going with John Barry. Part of the reasons I find FYEO and GE overrated is the lack of Barry's musical contributions and it's unfathomable to imagine OHMSS without them. One of the late master Barry's best.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    gotta go with Peter Hunt on this..

Barry a very close second as I believe the score to OHMSS to be his best.
    Peter Hunt.
  • 1) Barry
    2) Hunt
    3) Laz
    My 1000th post! :)
    1) Barry
    2) Hunt
    3) Laz
    What? Laz only comes in 3rd for you here, GL?! @-)
  • Barry being in first place was a no-brainer for me, and between Hunt and Laz I had to give it to Hunt because it's to him that OHMSS owes most of its greatness (though Barry will always have a special place in my heart). It was Hunt who saw in Lazenby Connery's heir apparent and who pressed for him to get the part, it was Hunt who took an inexperienced model and evoked from him what is to me the quintessential Bond performance. It was Hunt who persuaded the producers to step away from the spectacle and nonsense and deliver a Bond film from the heart. OHMSS was Hunt's baby through and through.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 107
    Dr. NoSean Connery
    From Russia With LoveTerence Young
    GoldfingerGuy Hamilton
    ThunderballKen Adam
    You Only Live TwiceJohn Barry
    On Her Majesty's Secret ServicePeter Hunt

Goldfinger was the only film that gave me pause. Its greatest strength as a film is certainly the sheer iconography of it, and I have to give most of the credit for that to Hamilton (though Dehn and of course Fleming had a hand in it, witting or otherwise); he consciously made the villains larger than life, loaded the Aston Martin with every gadget idea that someone sent his way, and even decided that Goldfinger's laser should be a recurring element (repetition of elements is a tool for good visual design that also serves in building strong iconography).

Typically in film, iconography seems to arise organically, or at least haphazardly, at the whims of popular culture. Goldfinger, on the other hand, games the system outright. It demonstrates impressive cultural awareness and results in an adaptation I can't imagine coming from any other director.
    BARRY for that suprebe soundtrack the best
    Maibaum for that great screenplay, his best.
    Rigg for protraying the woman who Bond actually falls for
    Hunt for his first and only bond directorial gig. He did GOOD.
  • If I had to go back and do the other films...

Dr. No: Sean Connery (then maybe Terence Young)
    From Russia With Love: Peter Hunt
    Goldfinger: John Barry
    Thunderball: Sean Connery
    You Only Live Twice: John Barry
    Following a trend:

DN: Terence Young
    FRWL: Robert Shaw
    GF: Sean Connery
    TB: Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT: Ken Adam(honorable mention to Freddie Young)
    OHMSS: John Barry
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Barry (with Hunt as runner-up). Hunt gets points for difficulty--casting a non-actor as the lead and staying with the downbeat ending. But Barry's score is his best in the entire series.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FILM 7 Diamonds Are Forever
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm afraid I need to once more mention John Barry as my 11/10 star. There were many good and talented people involved in DAF, but Barry shined.

1. Terence Young
    2. Sean Connery
    3. John Barry
    4. Peter Hunt
    5. Ken Adam
    6. John Barry
    7. John Barry
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, Sean ... but also:
    John Barry and
    Joey Chitwood (did I get that name right??) stunt driver
  • My choice? Nobody.

As harsh as it may seem, no one really put that extra effort into making the film better. Even Barry puts in a lackluster effort here.

DN - Maurice Binder
    FRWL - Daniela BIanchi
    GF - Richard Malibum
    TB - Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT - Ken Adam
    OHMSS - John Barry/George Lazenby
    DAF - None
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Barry. The iconic title song and the expanded score is a dream.
    I'm going with Jill St. John for portraying the sassiest and brassiest Bond girl of them all.

DN: Terence Young
    FRWL: Robert Shaw
    GF: Sean Connery
    TB: Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT: Ken Adam(honorable mention to Freddie Young)
    OHMSS: John Barry
    DAF: Jill St. John
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Tom Mankiewicz.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 107
    Diamonds Are ForeverTom Mankiewicz

Mankiewicz was brought on for a couple weeks to rework the script in the hopes that it would be more appealing to Connery. This was a fool's errand, since Connery already knew what he wanted out of Bond now, and writing didn't enter into it.

But Mankiewicz still stayed on for six months and injected the film with a singular wit more playful than anything the franchise had displayed before. Also, casting Lana Wood as Plenty O'Toole was his idea.
  • For me it is simply Ken Adams idea to have Blofeld live in a Japanese volcano. we all know the inside was filmed at Pinewood but for me the area in Japan including the arial shots are stunning to this day.

Thanks to YOLT I have enjoyed learning about volcanic areas and I dream of seeing the real volcano someday.

My fav film & i never get tired of it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DAF: Barry again, this time easily. He and Ken Adam are the only ones not phoning it in.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DN : Sean Connery
    FRWL : Sean Connery
    GF : Desmond Llewelyn
    TB : Sean Connery
    YOLT : Ken Adam
    OHMSS : John Barry
    DAF : John Barry
    Ken adams
  • Richard Maibaum, for writing:

"Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."
    Yes ace writing only matched by my pick "this organisation does not tolerate failure" & "This is the price for failure Mr Bond" Bam.

First time viewing these lines are simply classic and never sound OTT.

• Donald Pleasance. Best Blofeld ever.
    For me too. Still underused in script though.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Shirley Bassey.
  • Shirley Bassey.
    Personally, I feel that her best song is actually Moonraker, but that's another story.