SPECTRE Trailer/TV Spot Thread - NEW TV Spots Page 117 - Final Trailer Page 106

Comments

• HuntingBondHuntingBond Cairo
    At a first glimpse, I felt a bit disappointed too -
    I'm not sure why it didn't grab me like it has everyone else. Am I missing something, or seeing a different trailer to everyone else?

Sure, very dark and atmospheric - but somehow the long forgotten brother twist brought me a "Really?" after finishing the trailer. The arch villain is the foster brother? And MI6 somehow stumbled upon Bonds past while looking at the Skyfall rubble?

Now, after a rewatch, I started to enjoy the long distance shots and the spectre of SPECTRE. Guess, Eon will do the right thing and not overdo the Oberhauser. Well, at least I hope so.

The only thing I liked about the trailer was the return of the ring and Mr. White. Other than that I was very underwhelmed.
    That was awesome, cant wait
    Looks awesome. I can't wait to see this.
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    That teaser was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Man I wish/ hope that mendes returns for one more to finish off the Craig era. I CAN'T WAIT.

Agreed. It's a terrific trailer. Shaping up to be one hell of a film.

I suspect (hope) Mendes will do the follow up film as well and complete his Bond trilogy and pay-off Craig's fantastic tenure.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 3,167
    This is basically going to be Skyfall 2...I don't know if I like that.
    SF2? Based on a teaser featuring Mr. White?
    This seems more aimed at Bond fans who have some understanding of Bond's past.
    My thoughts exactly. I showed it to my wife, who doesn't know who's who, and it didn't really excite her. She recognized Belluci, though.
    Gunbarrel wrote: »
    Considering how much they talk about having to avoid the Dr. Evil version of Blofeld, it'd be pretty funny if they do end up being brothers since that's exactly what they did in Goldmember. Kinda ironic, no?
    So the head of the biggest criminal organization in the world is
    the foster brother of the MI6 agent trying to take it down?
    That is a coincidence of unbelievable proportions that I fear could not work.
    The more I watch it, the better it gets. Like I said before, its clever to not trying to match MI5's action so shortly after their trailer and instead go with suspense and dialogue. Very clever and very well done. Looks beautiful.
    Indeed, exactly what a teaser should be.

I'm curious how the causal viewer will react to it. This seems more aimed at Bond fans who have some understanding of Bond's past. Fitting considering Mendes said during the SPECTRE announcement, “Those of you who have some knowledge of the Bond franchise and the legend of Bond will probably have some idea of what that refers to, but I couldn’t possibly comment."

I'm a Bond fan who knows about Bond's past, having read all the Fleming novels countless times, and at no point does it mention that Bond has a brother, or that there is a link with SPECTRE and his past.

Mendes and co. are rewriting history here. This has nothing to do with Fleming, other than a character name Oberhauser which was used briefly in the short story OP.
  • AVBAVB
    Exactly, this has nothing to do with Bond or his past as written. I suggest some pick up a Fleming book?

I've disliked the foster-brother-now-head-of-spectre angle since it came out. It's awful, trite writing and I sincerely doubt it'll add any emotional impact to the film at all. Just as I didn't care less about Silva/M. But I'll have to live with it.

The trailer was great - wonderful cinematography! Great dialogue too. I wonder if Bond kills White or leaves him to Spectre...
    I agree with @jetsetwilly, not quite sure why this is considered a great teaser? And I'm still indifferent to Bond's past being dug up and played out for a second time, discounting the orphans reference in CR of course. I too was hoping for a proper 007 mission, but it looks like Mendes wants to do a Nolan and have everything connected in some dark pseudo intellectual fashion so the pompous amongst us can fawn and slobber over it and point out how clever they are for grasping the subtle references.

As for...
    ... Blofeld being Bond's step-brother or childhood friend...

... absurd and totally un-Fleming. I hope this doesn't play out like some here have suggested. Though @timmer, whose judgement I greatly respect, seems to think it's a great script and could be up there with the "original classics" so I won't judge it yet myself. As for the teaser: I'm not too impressed. As a plus, at least Craig looks good.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,257
    Indeed, exactly what a teaser should be.

I'm curious how the causal viewer will react to it. This seems more aimed at Bond fans who have some understanding of Bond's past. Fitting considering Mendes said during the SPECTRE announcement, “Those of you who have some knowledge of the Bond franchise and the legend of Bond will probably have some idea of what that refers to, but I couldn’t possibly comment."

I'm a Bond fan who knows about Bond's past, having read all the Fleming novels countless times, and at no point does it mention that Bond has a brother, or that there is a link with SPECTRE and his past.

Yet you see the images below and know the context and meaning of them, regardless of them being true to Fleming or not. The general public does not. That's my point.
    kafes9F.jpg
    DN1JPNI.jpg
    5SbGgmS.jpg
    W5eyMfk.jpg
    Dastardly long lost brother seems more Emmerdale than Fleming.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Loved this trailer. It just sucked me right in and I was annoyed when it ended. Love the face there is no action but it's all about dialog, mood, suspense.

Fantastic to see Mr White again. That line about the kite in a hurricane is truly wonderful.

I think Spectre could be something special.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Great trailer. Really follows Fleming with Oberhauser being 007's Father figure (following his parents death). I still don't think Waltz will be Blofeld though....it's probably a trick. Trailer also has a classic 60's Connery vibe as well (which is great).
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    I'm not sure why it didn't grab me like it has everyone else. Am I missing something, or seeing a different trailer to everyone else?

I quite like the shots - Very Nolanesque, and like seeing some new Bond scenes, but the whole Bond on another personal mission, and linking SPECTRE to Bond's past has nothing to do with Fleming. Why can't they go back and use some untapped Fleming material, inside of rewriting Bond history.

Feeling a bit underwhelmed to be honest. I thought unearthing Bond's past was enough for SF, but I don't really want to see more of this again. I was hoping for a straightforward Bond film for once - action packed PTS, Bond gets briefed by M to go after SPECTRE, and Bond is on a mission for Queen and country, not another revenge, personal motive angle....again!

I hope I feel different after watching it a few more times, and I hope the next trailer gets me more excited on first viewing.

I hope so, too.
    I think this is perfect. The film is 6 months away and this is the perfect taster

It looks serious, dangerous, dark and mysterious. Compared to mission impossible which looks like it's aimed at children who can't sit still

I really hope the film lives up to its promise and mendes hangs round for a third outing then they both pass on the baton.

Just think where we were 10 years ago. Cgi tsunamis, invisible cars, madonna and lee tamahori.

Everyone at eon has done a fantastic job reimagining the franchise which now attracts oscars winners and nomination.

Craigs bond is credible and the films are a high watermark of the genre and also popular film making.

Well done all.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,314
    One other thing. I wouldn't be surprised if in the film Bloefeld is shown as the final shot and is an as yet unknown / Un cast actor.
  • Clever teaser trailer doing its job in being able to tease and provoke conjecture and debate. Looks like we will be given a dark and intriguing plot to journey through when this movie hits the cinema. Can't wait!!!!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    You've seen my username as the last poster, so you can probably guess what's coming,. but guess what, I am still a Bond fan. Call it a morbid curiosity, but I watched this and I found it to be dull, even for a teaser.

And tell me that Mr White didn't just call Bond a Cheryl? I wasn't thrilled enough to watch the teaser a second time to check.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 3,279
    My only real issue with the hints so far of a long-lost brother gone rogue, as hinted at in the trailer, is getting worn and tired. We had a version similar to this way back in GE with Sean Bean's character, and we've had reworkings of it ever since, particularly in the last film with Silva.

EON are in danger of treading over old ground again. This trailer seems to be more of the same from where we left off in SF - Bond uncovering more of his roots, and another villain is unearthed similar to how Silva was unearthed in SF.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 6,601
    Yes, we ALL KNOW, what's comning. It seems incredible, that a person can be SO underwhelmed by things CONSTANTLY. It kinda takes away the sense of being serious instead of just being a ****.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Yes, we ALL KNOW, what's comning. It seems incredible, that a person can be SO underwhelmed by things CONSTANTLY. It kinda takes away the sense of being serious instead of just being a ****.

Get over yourself. I'm allowed to have an opinion. And when was I last underwhelmed...?
    Tell me...?

Get over yourself. I'm allowed to have an opinion. And when was I last underwhelmed...?
    Tell me...?

Tell me...?

Hey Willy, I was talking to the Major. Your post wasn't up there, when I replied, so i didn't quote. ;)

Tell me...?

Tell me...?

Hey Willy, I was talking to the Major. Your post wasn't up there, when I replied, so i didn't quote. ;)

Ahhhh!" oops!! Sorry.....
    :\">
    Ahhhh!" oops!! Sorry.....
    :\">

Its all good :)
    I hope, you will like the trailer. For sure, there is gonna be action - probably a lot.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Umm you'll forgive me for saying so, but why can't @MajorDSmythe have an opinion on this?
    Just because he doesn't agree with your own take on Bond and Daniel Craig in the role.
    Whilst I like Daniel Craig in the role, I respect the Major for sticking to his guns and being honest. It makes him no less a Bond fan, just because he doesn't like the current actor in the role.
    Your constant swipes at anyone who even remotely dislikes Craig as Bond or the Craig Bond films in general is getting more than a little boring and downright rude.

IDK who mentioned it but the US domestic version on YouTube does have the "experience it in IMAX". However it seems like the US domestic version provided to the press from Sony does not.
    OMG ! What a trailer ! Bloody perfect. November is too far away right now
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 13,894

So there has never been something that you didn't like? Then good for you.

I don't post that much these days, fewer posts about Bond, and fewer still (rarely) on Craig's Bond... I wouldn't call that constantly. As a mod, I read threads on Craig's Bond, but I don't usually post in them. I am pretty sure you can survive a negative post from me, especially when everyone (nearly everyone?) else on this forum likes Craig.

****? Steady on, @GermanLady, we all know how name calling (in any style) gets everyone upset.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 188
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Its the context "You are a "... you are not expecting him to call him a kite. So the brain looks for another word and the pause lets you think he has said something else for a fraction of a second before "dancing in a hurricane comes" and enables you to work out that the word is kite.

I guess people's brains work differently then. And their ears...
    Or minds.
    My brain wasn't guessing words in advance, I just accepted what I heard the guy say.... But then, I'm not a native speaker, what do I know.

I think that's actually the point. I think native speakers will feel more of the brain-guessing-words effect than non-native speakers. I guess it's like with typos - a native speaker can always read a text even if literally every word is spelled incorrectly, because his or her brain corrects the mistakes automatically. But if you are not a native speaker, i.e. if you are missing much of the vocab, you can never be sure that the spelling is incorrect (it could be another word you don't know), so you don't replace words automatically with the correct ones, but take things at face value. Much like "kite" here - it's what's there and so it's what non-native speakers hear, whereas native speakers may (or may not) automatically replace the unexpected word with an expected one that sounds slightly similar.