SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 10,588
    Press Conference in Mexico is on:

CAZW-W8VIAEby_g.jpg
    This is bazaar, I thought it was rescheduled to tomorrow.
    @marketto007 Will we get to see it?
    RC7 wrote: »

You could put up a picture up of the Golden Girl, or Baron Samedi, or the Lotus Esprit, or the Golden Gun etc etc and people will instantly think 'Bond'. I'm not denying it's iconic, but a film doesn't rely on it's presence the way it does the theme tune. It's an intrinsic part of the films tapestry. Just look at the stink that's been kicked up about moving the GB, not even getting rid of it. The films can easily live without the DB5. They did. For decades.

You're misinterpreting my argument regard nods, homages, etc. I just don't think there's any need for things to ape existing iconography. The SF intro was shot in Istanbul, but it's distinctly different from FRWL. In SP we have a
    mountain top clinic in the alps. That's already an iconic visual from the canon. I don't see the need to go there again, personally.

Re. The DB5 and Mendes taking it up a notch I was referring to it being the one from GF.

GG, Baron, and the Golden Gun are specific Bond items/characters, the DB5 isn't, but has become so associated that it has actually transcended to that being the first association. As far as a Lotus, eh, I'll have to disagree there. If I see a Lotus, I'm like "hey, sweet Lotus" and that's about it.

I'm definitely not misinterpreting the second though. My point is they aren't aping anything. These are consistent thematic elements. Specifically your example existed in the books beforehand and was just carried on, and continues to be carried on. I'd be way more concerned about the PTS if I had the same resistance to repetitive visuals as you, but you don't seem at all bothered by that, which I find odd as it is going to have a way more similar aesthetic as several movies before.
    I really don't see why people are complaining? Mendes harkened back to LALD slightly in SF with the komodo dragons but for me that sequence seemed to be a homage to all the earlier (and slightly camper) Bond movies. It was just a little nod to Bond's more outrageous past. To be honest, the sequence was maybe a little too tongue in cheek and slightly incongruous with the rest of the tone of SF. However, it was a fun little interlude.

I also can't understand the hate for the DB5 returning. It's Bond car. Simply as. I know it was destroyed in SF and I know fans love nitpicking as to why the GF DB5 somehow turned up in the rebooted series. But does it really matter? Bond and the DB5 go hand in hand. It's like the Doctor and his TARDIS, they are both intrinsically linked in the public and moviegoer's consciousness. That particular Aston Martin is an important part of Bond's iconography, it's one of the small vestiges of the series' past it will never be able to get rid off.

In terms of Bond's look in the poster. I always thought Roger Moore looked his coolest in the finale of LALD and I'm surprised it's taken this long for EON to replicate the look. I think it's near impossible that Temine and Mendes were not aware of Moore's look in the film and were trying to capture the same sense of danger and swagger, albeit allowing Craig to put his own spin on it. However, do remember that in LALD the filmmakers were also deliberately trying to emulate another massive star when dressing Moore for that scene; Steve McQueen.

Everything is derivative of something. Nothing these days is truly original, least of all the Bond series.

p1882.jpg

I didn't think SF was a nostgalia fest. It deliberately kept a few nods mainly to honour the 50th anniversary. But aside the DB5, the Moneypenny reveal and M's office, the film itself was truly original. The complaint the film most often had levelled at it was how it didn't feel like a 'Bond film' to most and was too personal and emotional. For instance, the film totally does away with the traditional primary Bond girl/love interest and instead focusses on a 70 year-old woman thusly making her the female lead of the picture.

I think people here are focussing on very small elements and not looking at the bigger picture.

Pretty much my feelings.
  • RC7RC7
    doghouse wrote: »

You could put up a picture up of the Golden Girl, or Baron Samedi, or the Lotus Esprit, or the Golden Gun etc etc and people will instantly think 'Bond'. I'm not denying it's iconic, but a film doesn't rely on it's presence the way it does the theme tune. It's an intrinsic part of the films tapestry. Just look at the stink that's been kicked up about moving the GB, not even getting rid of it. The films can easily live without the DB5. They did. For decades.

You're misinterpreting my argument regard nods, homages, etc. I just don't think there's any need for things to ape existing iconography. The SF intro was shot in Istanbul, but it's distinctly different from FRWL. In SP we have a
    mountain top clinic in the alps. That's already an iconic visual from the canon. I don't see the need to go there again, personally.

Re. The DB5 and Mendes taking it up a notch I was referring to it being the one from GF.

GG, Baron, and the Golden Gun are specific Bond items/characters, the DB5 isn't, but has become so associated that it has actually transcended to that being the first association. As far as a Lotus, eh, I'll have to disagree there. If I see a Lotus, I'm like "hey, sweet Lotus" and that's about it.

I'm definitely not misinterpreting the second though. My point is they aren't aping anything. These are consistent thematic elements. Specifically your example existed in the books beforehand and was just carried on, and continues to be carried on. I'd be way more concerned about the PTS if I had the same resistance to repetitive visuals as you, but you don't seem at all bothered by that, which I find odd as it is going to have a way more similar aesthetic as several movies before.

Are you saying that the idea of a
    mountain top clinic is a consistent thematic element?

I'm not resistant to repetitive visuals, it's unavoidable and inevitable. Stuff like the DB5 is. The excuse it's the 50th anniversary is just bullshit.
    If EON checks out the Bond sites, and they surely do, it must drive them nuts. Very much the old "damned if they do, and damned if they don't" routine.

Tons of posters on the Bond sites seem to just hate the modern, gritty, darker Craig Bond and say the films are no longer Bond films. Tons of others want a totally original take on Bond and hate the references to previous Bond film plots, clothes etc. My 2 cents is that they are trying hard to make a modern Bond, but one that also clearly respects and stays within the Bond tradition EON has created for 50 years. I think they are doing pretty well with trying to balance the two ends given they now have to deal with a ton of imitators. Almost every single spy film made these days is imitating Bond in small and sometimes very major ways.

I'm not resistant to repetitive visuals, it's unavoidable and inevitable. Stuff like the DB5 is. The excuse it's the 50th anniversary is just bullshit.

It's apparently becoming one.

I'm pretty sure the 50th anniversary wasn't an excuse for the DB5, it's been 5 of the 8 films since being used in Goldeneye, and was filmed for DAD before the sequence was cut, which would have made six. If you are that opposed to it you are going to have a pretty big row to hoe as I don't think it is going away.
  • RC7RC7

I'm pretty sure the 50th anniversary wasn't an excuse for the DB5, it's been 5 of the 8 films since being used in Goldeneye, and was filmed for DAD before the sequence was cut, which would have made six. If you are that opposed to it you are going to have a pretty big row to hoe as I don't think it is going away.

I thought it had gone with QoS, alas it came back guns blazing, quite literally. Bond's personal car, fair enough. Loaded with gadgets. Give me a break.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Press Conference in Mexico is on:

CAZW-W8VIAEby_g.jpg

I hope we will see a video of this.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,068
    I don't really have any big issue with the DB5 just so long as it doesn't keep getting star billing ALL THE TIME.

I've not read any leaks / spoilers but it doesn't stop me speculating wildly! As the DB5 is clearly making another outing in SP maybe Q's resurrected it and showing Bond around it in it's first shakedown after the rebuild. Only for Bond to suggest he's forgotten how torturous it is to drive any distance and the run to Skyfall virtually crippled him and was the main reason he was off his game. That's OK Bond, we've got a replacement with extra refinements for you as we expected you to say this...

Enter stage left DB10 = twice the car the DB5 is!

It's rebirth is now on file for any future cameos!

Don't forget a car just as iconic and could only be Bond is PPW306R which shows not what the car is but what it does in the film! Let's see what Rome shows us in the bigger context.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited March 2015 Posts: 3,277
    Stephanie Sigman posted this on her Instagram earlier today. :)

11078765_430652440427648_1348985800_n.jpg
    Video from the set.

James Bond se adueña de las calles del Centro Histórico
    http://www.eluniversaltv.com.mx/videos/v_f52ab0dbb2b5491196fc08945298a4cf.html
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,622
    The DB5 from GE forward is Bond schtick. In GE and TND, which were re-boot of sorts, we learn that Bond likes racing/puttering about in a personal DB5. As GE has continuity with the early films, the car's inclusion provides a nostalgic touch and a link with the classic era, at a time when 007's world seems to be changing.
    Q Branch apparently humours him and helps maintain the thing.
    Then with the actual reboot, Martin Campbell finesses a way to return the DB5 to Bond's contemporary setting.
    I found what Mendes did with the car in SF though to be somewhat hamfisted. The steering wheel being on the wrong side was inexcusable. We fans thus have to contrive all sorts of scenarios, which would cause Bond to suddenly have a reverse-side steering wheel.
    Same car, different car? Who knows. The movie wasn't going to tell us.
    I thought the whole scenario was overstated, and seemed like an interlude excuse to also compartmentalize the car with the Bond theme, as apparently neither fit anywhere else, along with the opening gunbarrel etc.
    Remember SF was coming off QoS, a film heavily lambasted for not feeling like a Bond film.
    So I think Mendes in response, oversold the DB5 interlude, without thought to sane continuity.
    But what's done is done. Now I know longer care, as Mendes is establishing serious Bond bonafides IMO with this new film, moreso than he did with SF.
    SP is the Craig-era Bond film that I have been waiting for. ie Bond seems to have his mojo intact, not to mention familiar elements such as M, MP, Q and old office.
    And with DB5 returning yet again in SP, clearly this is now a running gag. Re-booted Craig Bond, just like Brozzer Bond has a thing for the old car. So be it. I can roll.
    I was not bothered so much, by the presence of the car in SF.
    I just wanted the car's inclusion to make a little more sense, within the context of the reboot ie tie it in more obviously with what we got in CR,and not use it as some token isolated non-sensical nod to days of yore.
    But moving forward, it does appear that at least SP DB5 is connected to what was left of SF DB5, so I am fine. We at least have attempt at continuity, even if is somewhat farfetched.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Stephanie Sigman posted this on her Instagram earlier today. :)

11078765_430652440427648_1348985800_n.jpg
    @marketto007 will we be able to see the press conference?
    @Jake24 Not live, because already happened. But I believe we'll see something online at some point.
    The DB5 was described pretty much everywhere as being THE Bond moment, over which people in cinemas around the world had a collective orgasm. That scene had the car, the Bond, the music. This is what Bond films are still all about inmost peoples minds, despite becoming modern, going with time.

I thought it had gone with QoS, alas it came back guns blazing, quite literally. Bond's personal car, fair enough. Loaded with gadgets. Give me a break.

FWIW, I am not a huge gadgets person either.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Or YOLT/MR/TLD.

Mr. Hinx is also 50% Jaws and 50% Tee Hee (another LALD reference)

I personally think more to associate the movies with the novels. CR was CR, of course, QOS I think channeled LALD and SF to MR, but also YOLT and TMWTGG. SP I think will echo both TB and OHMSS.
    This is a pretty small group there. Disappointing. Who is the third woman?
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote: »
    The DB5 was described pretty much everywhere as being THE Bond moment, over which people in cinemas around the world had a collective orgasm. That scene had the car, the Bond, the music. This is what Bond films are still all about inmost peoples minds, despite becoming modern, going with time.

So they just do this forever, now? Sometimes things just have to be put to bed. Is Bond going to be driving a DB5 in 2064? Everything in the 21st Century is tinged with a comforting nostalgia. I don't deny the warmth of it sometimes, but it stunts creativity. Like I said in a previous post, the public don't know what they want. You can give them nostalgia, or you can risk failure by trying something new. Risk isn't popular these days. I think I'm still gutted by the failure to capitalise on the majority of CR. It's the most refreshing entry since 1969.
    I am guessing third womanis maybe a translator, fluent in both English and Spanish.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I too had hoped that Skyfall would have been the end of the DB5.
    timmer wrote: »
    I am guessing third womanis maybe a translator, fluent in both English and Spanish.

Yes, most likely. Thanks.
    Am I the only one, who did expect a full blown Istanbul like PC?

Germanlady wrote: »
    timmer wrote: »

Yes, most likely. Thanks.
    Am I the only one, who did expect a full blown Istanbul like PC?
    Nope.
    CAZmZgrUwAAWWUD.jpg
  • RC7RC7
    CAZmZgrUwAAWWUD.jpg

Nice to see MGW jet-setting.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    smitty wrote: »
    If EON checks out the Bond sites, and they surely do, it must drive them nuts. Very much the old "damned if they do, and damned if they don't" routine.

Tons of posters on the Bond sites seem to just hate the modern, gritty, darker Craig Bond and say the films are no longer Bond films. Tons of others want a totally original take on Bond and hate the references to previous Bond film plots, clothes etc. My 2 cents is that they are trying hard to make a modern Bond, but one that also clearly respects and stays within the Bond tradition EON has created for 50 years. I think they are doing pretty well with trying to balance the two ends given they now have to deal with a ton of imitators. Almost every single spy film made these days is imitating Bond in small and sometimes very major ways.

I agree. I love the 60s/70s Bonds, for their nostalgic fun. But those films have been satirized a bit much, and it is good that the 21st century Bond is grittier and more realistic.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, great to see him fit and healthy again. =D>
    I really don't see why people are complaining? Mendes harkened back to LALD slightly in SF with the komodo dragons but for me that sequence seemed to be a homage to all the earlier (and slightly camper) Bond movies. It was just a little nod to Bond's more outrageous past. To be honest, the sequence was maybe a little too tongue in cheek and slightly incongruous with the rest of the tone of SF. However, it was a fun little interlude.

I also can't understand the hate for the DB5 returning. It's Bond car. Simply as. I know it was destroyed in SF and I know fans love nitpicking as to why the GF DB5 somehow turned up in the rebooted series. But does it really matter? Bond and the DB5 go hand in hand. It's like the Doctor and his TARDIS, they are both intrinsically linked in the public and moviegoer's consciousness. That particular Aston Martin is an important part of Bond's iconography, it's one of the small vestiges of the series' past it will never be able to get rid off.

In terms of Bond's look in the poster. I always thought Roger Moore looked his coolest in the finale of LALD and I'm surprised it's taken this long for EON to replicate the look. I think it's near impossible that Temine and Mendes were not aware of Moore's look in the film and were trying to capture the same sense of danger and swagger, albeit allowing Craig to put his own spin on it. However, do remember that in LALD the filmmakers were also deliberately trying to emulate another massive star when dressing Moore for that scene; Steve McQueen.

Everything is derivative of something. Nothing these days is truly original, least of all the Bond series.

p1882.jpg

I didn't think SF was a nostgalia fest. It deliberately kept a few nods mainly to honour the 50th anniversary. But aside the DB5, the Moneypenny reveal and M's office, the film itself was truly original. The complaint the film most often had levelled at it was how it didn't feel like a 'Bond film' to most and was too personal and emotional. For instance, the film totally does away with the traditional primary Bond girl/love interest and instead focusses on a 70 year-old woman thusly making her the female lead of the picture.

I think people here are focussing on very small elements and not looking at the bigger picture.

Pretty much my feelings.

Same.
    39D9pDn.jpg

K8vYyTJ.jpg

baWiqxz.jpg
    Regarding the DB5 I had no problem with its inclusion in SF. In fact quite the opposite, I grinned with excitement when I saw it. But part of the fun was NOT KNOWING it was coming. Not sure whether it will be the same in Spectre.