SPECTRE Leaks Discussion (allowed on ONLY this thread) MAJOR PLOTLINE SPOILERS!

Comments

• On another note, I was thinking, is SP the closest we'll get to a Bond remake? I remember before the film was announced there were quite a few people who wanted to see an OHMSS remake down the line, and there are a few parallels between SPECTRE and OHMSS.
    -Bond taking it upon himself to invesigate the mission on his own.
    -Bond making a deal with a member of a crime syndicate to protect his daughter.
    -Stylish clinic in the mountains/Locales
    -Bond falls in love and decides to leave the service
    -The closing line "After all, we have all the time in the world."

I think we will start seeing more of this each movie, borrowing the things that worked. I think there is a bit of TSWLM in Spectre as well and there was a bit of License to Kill about QOS.
  • By the way how underrated is License to Kill?
    antovolk wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    It's a red herring like "John Harrison" was a red herring for Khan.
    In this case Oberhauser being the red herring, and Serban clearly being the stand in name in the script.

What I don't get is, if they're going to put a stand in name for ESB - why use a name that is so close to it that it's obviously ESB? They could have put something like "Your real name is... Alexandru Nergescu". Yet they use a name with the initials ES?
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,619
    I believe the whole Blofeld character is a mess in the December version of the screenplay. It is quite telling that Mr. Hinx is a FAR more interesting character than the main villain... They simply didn't know what to do with Blofeld. First they wanted to make him a black man from Sub-Saharan Africa. Then they decided to make Blofeld a woman. At the end they turned Blofeld into someone Bond knew from his childhood.

They decided early on that they wanted to use Blofeld again, but they had no idea how to make him interesting... And what's up with him having all those names? Oberhauser, Stockmann, Serban?
    Dr. No was originally going to be a monkey, and he turned out ok ;)
  • I am confident that it will come out ok
  • JCRendle wrote: »
    Dr. No was originally going to be a monkey, and he turned out ok ;)

Imagine if they had decided to go with the monkey. We wouldn't be 24 films into a successful series that's for sure.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    ... And what's up with him having all those names? Oberhauser, Stockmann, Serban?

Probably a hang over from multiple rewrites. Seems a right mess. I'm pretty confident they'll clear it up in the finished film.

Then again, 'Silva' ended up being just an unnecessary alias of 'Rodriguez' in SF so perhaps not...
  • I do
    ... And what's up with him having all those names? Oberhauser, Stockmann, Serban?

Probably a hang over from multiple rewrites. Seems a right mess. I'm pretty confident they'll clear it up in the finished film.

Then again, 'Silva' ended up being just an unnecessary alias of 'Rodriguez' in SF so perhaps not...

i don't think that they would bring back Blofeld unless they were sure.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    By the way how underrated is License to Kill?
    Underrated by who?
    And how highly do you think its rated to start with?

What do you think about the picture of the DB5 filming from yesterday?
    We see Bond in the car, but no Madeleine.
    In the script he drives off with her on the passenger seat.

Did they rewrite the ending?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I hope that Oberhauser is not Blofeld in the end. Oberhauser in OP (the book) is a father figure to Bond and murdered by Dexter Smyth. Blofeld should be nothing to do with Hans Oberhauser.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    By the way how underrated is License to Kill?

Very underated. Classic Fleming.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Not a perfect movie, but admirable for what it tried to do. All the talk about how cold blooded James bond was, what about Felix? Hey, james, the wife is dead, let's bond over our both being widowed and go fishing !
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 3,164
    JCRendle wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    It's a red herring like "John Harrison" was a red herring for Khan.
    In this case Oberhauser being the red herring, and Serban clearly being the stand in name in the script.

What I don't get is, if they're going to put a stand in name for ESB - why use a name that is so close to it that it's obviously ESB? They could have put something like "Your real name is... Alexandru Nergescu". Yet they use a name with the initials ES?

Yeah it's weird. Remember the line between M and Madeleine I posted though, clearly the name Oberhauser there (it's post-ESB reveal) is a stand-in for ESB.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,552
    Edit: reread what you put
    I don't mind the reintroduction of blofield and the themes of OHMSS but where do we go from here?
    Finally say that James bond is related to dr who and go for another regeneration
  • AVBAVB
    First they wanted to make him a black man from Sub-Saharan Africa. Then they decided to make Blofeld a woman. At the end they turned Blofeld into someone Bond knew from his childhood.

All contrived ideas, not to mention unnecessary.

I can only hope the concept translates better to screen, but often these personal aspects to a film just fall flat. In TDK did The Joker need to be on a personal revenge mission, a la Silva, to be interesting? No. M didn't do anything particularly wrong with Silva/Rodriguez. If it had just been Silva going rogue from MI6 and having a solid agenda irrelated to personal revenge, the film might have been stronger.
    Spectre to me sounds fine I don;t really have any alarm bells going off..

I am wondering for those who read the Script how much Fleming do you see?

One thin I will point out is that this is the first time really since Moore that we have had and actor Face off against 2 villians from Fleming's Novel's

(ESB vs ES aside Oberhauser is a name Fleming Came up with so I am counting that)
  • Not a perfect movie, but admirable for what it tried to do. All the talk about how cold blooded James bond was, what about Felix? Hey, james, the wife is dead, let's bond over our both being widowed and go fishing !

I just don't get why people don't rate Dalton. Perhaps he's too real? I give LTK 8 out of 10

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Not a perfect movie, but admirable for what it tried to do. All the talk about how cold blooded James bond was, what about Felix? Hey, james, the wife is dead, let's bond over our both being widowed and go fishing !

I just don't get why people don't rate Dalton. Perhaps he's too real? I give LTK 8 out of 10

I do ..he's dull and too stiff. I think there is another thread for this.

I mean I get why you wanted or wished TD had succeeded ...I wanted that too but didn't happened and almost killed Bond.

Dalton wasn't dull and stiff. That would be the other fella
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,208
    I posted this same photo in the Production Timeline, but I'm posting it here too so we can determine what scene is this in the script for the Mexico scenes:

SeaNorse sent me a photo he took in Mexico on his trip 1-2 days ago, and he was told it was the Bond production.

Here is the picture:
    WHAT IS THIS IN THE SCRIPT???

S6xTTFn.jpg
  • Not sure, but if I had to guess, I would suggest it ties in with Morocco rather than Mexico - maybe a feature of ESB's lair?
  • chipstickschipsticks NOT on TheDanielCraigForum where they think know Daniel Craig personally and Léa and Monica are ugly
    11055613_1427670640864202_1915372833_n.jpg

vitolinos Ancora un po' freddino per un tuffo nel Tevere... Ma questi so nordici.. #spectre #crew on the river #tevere preparing for #stuntcar #jump 3h

http://websta.me/p/937648162653115992_33548876
    Dalton wasn't dull and stiff. That would be the other fella

Hear hear. Lazenby was the only stiff and dull "actor" to play Bond. Dalton was superb. Even Sir Roger despite his limatations as an actor could never be accused of being dull.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    TD was dull ...very dull in uninspired films. And they performed accordingly.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,622
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    TD was dull ...very dull in uninspired films. And they performed accordingly.

All of the lesser Bonds (non Sean or Laz) have their strengths, but I've recently reshuffled him to the bottom and promoted DC to #3. Rog #4/Broz #5.
    Re-watched the Craig films last week and focused on his performance, as opposed to what I don't love about the films.
    He does a good job as Bond, man of action.
    Re photo above, I do like that huge elevated platter-on-trunk thing, but no idea what it could be.
    Does look like a great set piece though.
    I've just had a thought, we know from the leaks that not everyone was happy about the early scripts - but what strikes me is, early on in the process Mendes counted himself out of directing the follow up to SF, stating that whilst it was an enjoyable experience it made him physically ill, but when he later confirmed he'd signed up again he cited the strength of the script, so it must had some strong ideas even circa July 2013 even if it were the bare backbone of what it is now, however much has changed since then.

It would be interesting to see what ideas were in the early screenplays that peaked Mendes interest.