SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• doubleoego wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I love the contrast of the white snow and the black plane and cars.

I love the fact that.....this action sequence is shaping up to be a very original one. One that is perhaps using aspects from previous Bond films, but that certainly is not an exact copy of previous Bond films. It seems this action sequence joyfully blends several well-known Bond aspects of previous action sequences into a new, unique, original end result that can not be found in its edited totality in previous Bond films! Love it!:

--> There is most likely an aerial chase part, in which we see wunderful shots of the Alps (OHMSS, pts FYEO, helicopter chase YOLT).
    --> There's a car chase part, in which those Range Rovers are obviously chased by Bond....through tunnels perhaps (pts QOS).
    --> There's a part where the whole "shabang" (airplane, cars) sleighs/drives of an entire ski slope (cello-chase TLD, car stock chase OHMSS).
    --> There could be several skiing extras in it.
    --> And we don't even know when the skidoos will be used.

And the fun part of this all is, that in the film it will most likely be sooo supersmoothly edited, that this action sequence will go down in history like a memorable one, a long one (perhaps more than 8 mins, like the PTS from Skyfall), but NOT being part of the PTS.

And on top of that, another major action sequence in Rome (the real car chase), will also not take place during the PTS. This is such wunderful news. It shows that Sam Mendes and crew really want to balance the "fun action" in this film, by not putting all the typical Bond-esque action in the PTS.

One question I have then: Will my suspicions be right that the "SPECTRE" PTS will actually be very understated, with not that much action, but at least a lot of Hitchcock-ian "spying" ? I would really loveeee that approach..... A bit like those other rare, more understated PTS sequences from "FRWL", "GF", "LALD", "TMWTGG" and "CR"?

I hope you're right about the editing of the action. Fortunately Mendes has proven that his approach to editing action is more traditional in that we can see wtf is going on, however, with a new editor working on this I hope the visibly clear editing of action can still be maintained.
    As for the PTS, I hope we also get something "Hitchcockian" something understated ala FRWL's PTS.

I m also curious how Lee Smith compares to Stuart/Kate Baird. Because let's face it....it's a different kind of editor. But it can't be that bad as Matt Chesse.

One thing that really worked for me in "Skyfall" was the entire pre-credits sequence. It truly was quintessentially "Bond". It was one big 7 min. chase from start to finish. Similar to the PTS of "TLD" and "TWINE". And I hope the Austrian action sequence will look/feel like the "Skyfall"-PTS a bit.
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »
    with a new editor working on this I hope the visibly clear editing of action can still be maintained.

I would imagine it will be. This is the guy who managed to mask Nolan's hap-hazard staging of action sufficiently. With Witt's coverage of action and Mendes' coverage of drama I can't imagine he'll mess it up.
  • RC7RC7
    I read this in detail. And I fully disagree @RC7. I think it was not "picture postcard" at all. And I think it is entirely subjective if you say "they didn't really capture the genuine feel of the place". What is that anyway? And how would you have shot London then instead?

You can disagree with anything you like. That's not a problem. What I find tiring is your lengthy posts that try to debunk my 'opinion'. I'm not stating it as fact, it's merely my humble opinion. I was referring to the comment that locals had said 'Shoot Rome as it is', which lead to talk of what I'd like to have seen in SF as a resident of London and how the inclusion of other locations could have added to the scope and diversity of the city. I'm not keen on sanitising, beauty can be found in the ugliest of places. Plus, I didn't say anything about London being cliche in SF, you took two independent comments and used them to misinterpret what I said. The comment about 'cliche's' was in direct reference to your post about Austria. My minor issue with SF was a lack of grit in the London scenes, hence 'picture postcard' beautiful. A 'minor' issue, not to be blown out of proportion.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    I read this in detail. And I fully disagree @RC7. I think it was not "picture postcard" at all. And I think it is entirely subjective if you say "they didn't really capture the genuine feel of the place". What is that anyway? And how would you have shot London then instead?

You can disagree with anything you like. That's not a problem. What I find tiring is your lengthy posts that try to debunk my 'opinion'. I'm not stating it as fact, it's merely my humble opinion. I was referring to the comment that locals had said 'Shoot Rome as it is', which lead to talk of what I'd like to have seen in SF as a resident of London and how the inclusion of other locations could have added to the scope and diversity of the city. I'm not keen on sanitising, beauty can be found in the ugliest of places. Plus, I didn't say anything about London being cliche in SF, you took two independent comments and used them to misinterpret what I said. The comment about 'cliche's' was in direct reference to your post about Austria. My minor issue with SF was a lack of grit in the London scenes, hence 'picture postcard' beautiful. A 'minor' issue, not to be blown out of proportion.

Thanks for the comment. Just don't take it that personal @RC7. I'm not here to debunk anything. Call me a passionate guy who simply disagrees a lot with you. In a passionate, for you maybe, tiresome and irritating way. But that's something I can not help. I just think that certain "fears" and, what you call, "minor issues", are a bit unfounded.

Moreover, when you talk in terms like you know how filmmaking works, and that you get paid for it....it actually sound a bit...well. We are not all film professionals here. And although I do respect you, sometimes you imply that I lack any knowledge because of that "film professional tag". That's a bit....well....not so nice. Even amateurs like me and many others on here can give valuable insight.

But no hard feelings. What do you think of the Austrian action sequence so far?
  • RC7RC7
    Moreover, when you talk in terms like you know how filmmaking works, and that you get paid for it....it actually sound a bit...well. We are not all film professionals here. And although I do respect you, sometimes you imply that I lack any knowledge because of that "film professional tag". That's a bit....well....not so nice. Even amateurs like me and many others on here can give valuable insight.

I agree, some of the stuff you were saying is patronising to anyone who uses a bit of common sense. I don't think you lack knowledge, but sometimes it comes across that you feel others do, or need reminding in a lecturing tone. Everyone gets the idea that action scenes are brainstormed for example. I'm sure it's just lost in translation. I have no fears or issues with SP, just thoughts.

Anyhow, the production timeline...

I agree, some of the stuff you were saying is patronising to anyone who uses a bit of common sense. I don't think you lack knowledge, but sometimes it comes across that you feel others do, or need reminding in a lecturing tone. Everyone gets the idea that action scenes are brainstormed for example. I'm sure it's just lost in translation. I have no fears or issues with SP, just thoughts.

So again, what do you think of the Austrian action sequence so far? Share my enthusiasm :-)?
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    Soooo, wadda ya reckon - are we getting a chase with skidoos or are they just for the crew? Sadly, I'm thinking only the latter.
    Soooo, wadda ya reckon - are we getting a chase with skidoos or are they just for the crew? Sadly, I'm thinking only the latter.
    I've heard the crew will be using them, but this doesn't mean that they, or others, won't be used in the film.
    jerome007 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I thought this might be the right thread. Does anyone know when opening night is in London? I thought it was 23rd October and 6th Nov in the States. Has this changed?

Do you think so?

On many sources it still says Oct 23rd for the UK.
    I can't believe that the UK will get SPECTRE after Germany and some other countries, where the 4th and 5th of November are officially announced as release dates.

Here you have UK and Ireland still listed for Oct 23rd:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2379713/releaseinfo

At the press event on Dec 4th, they only might have announced the US release date, but not the british one.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2015 Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote: »

So again, what do you think of the Austrian action sequence so far? Share my enthusiasm :-)?

It looks good from what I can tell, although how it works narratively I don't really know, but visually great. One thing I'm curious about is...
    The plane crash into the house. I'm assuming from the images I've seen, the plane loses it's wings as it passes through the house and then continues to spin along the ground until it comes to a stop, with Bond finally getting out and starting to fire on the villains. I might be wrong. What I'm interested in is how they'll go about executing the crash through the house. When this was just a whispered rumour, I'd imagined the plane flying into the house and being destroyed. Then when we saw the house being built I thought the hole in the house may be an entrance point, whereas now it seems it might be an exit point?

Initially I guessed they'd use some kind of wire rig (similar to that used for it to pass through the forest path) to launch it 'in' to the house. As it is, it seems like it passes 'through' the house. I'm intrigued to see if they have built a rig to propel the fuselage from the house or whether this will be cgi, model work, or a combo.

I don't know if I've seen all the photos, but I think I have.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,015
    I was referring to the comment that locals had said 'Shoot Rome as it is', which lead to talk of what I'd like to have seen in SF as a resident of London and how the inclusion of other locations could have added to the scope and diversity of the city.

About Rome, given all the legal stuff they first faced there (about the new law on movie props and firearms) + the bad buzz Skyfall had during production when it was rumored they had created some damages at the Grand Bazaar = I don't think the crew will clean the location for the shooting, it is definitely a job that officials must take the responsability of. I think they will use movie magic so we don't see the dirty spots.

Tourists will be disappointed if they go and see the location later, but then that's Rome's problem. Here in Paris, the bridges with lovelocks now do not look at all like what you see in Chanel ads : there are even ugly tagging on the wood panels they put to prevent more lovelocks. But you'll keep on saying the "nice bridges" on TV :)

And well, there's Plan B :

les-amants-du-pont-neuf--collection-allocine-wwwcollectionchristophelfr_1473.jpg
    Everyone gets the idea that action scenes are brainstormed for example.

Hm.. in Logan's screenplay, for the whole sequence he writes : "And.. BAM !"

[Or maybe not, I'm also one the few here who understands nothing and needs lot of lenghty explanations :) ]
  • RC7RC7
    I think they will use movie magic so we don't see the dirty spots.

Quite.

Great pic Marketto! Thanks for posting! :-bd
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,314
    Must say I thought london in SF looked as it is. Bearing in mind they shot vauxhall, embankment, Whitehall, NPG none of those areas are particularly grimey. It's not like the london scenes were set in Hornsea. It was overcast /raining and desaturated.

I get what you're saying about beauty in ugliness ( the national theatre for example) but I thought the locations in london were relatively honestly represented.

The snow scenes look great btw. Snow = beauty IMO. Spectre should be visually stunning. I'm on board with no ski scene if we 're getting a killer original scene like a plane chasing after 4x4s down a hill
  • Matt007 wrote: »
    Must say I thought london in SF looked as it is. Bearing in mind they shot vauxhall, embankment, Whitehall, NPG none of those areas are particularly grimey. It's not like the london scenes were set in Hornsea. It was overcast /raining and desaturated.

I get what you're saying about beauty in ugliness ( the national theatre for example) but I thought the locations in london were relatively honestly represented.

The snow scenes look great btw. Snow = beauty IMO. Spectre should be visually stunning. I'm on board with no ski scene if we 're getting a killer original scene like a plane chasing after 4x4s down a hill

Agreed :-).

I am also very curious how the entire Austria-part in "SPECTRE" will be edited together. I mean...how does 007 get to Austria? Will there be a hotel scene to start with, like in CR? How does 007 actually get on that black airplane? Is there an airstrip (LTK)? Will the spying/chase kick off in Altaussee on these Salzkammergut boats?

Lot of questions hehe :-). By the way, I have been asked to tone down my curiosity a bit, as asking too many of such questions can result in spoiler-ish discussions....Sorry if I do that. I am just very enthusiastic...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Matt007 wrote: »

I am also very curious how the entire Austria-part in "SPECTRE" will be edited together. I mean...how does 007 get to Austria? Will there be a hotel scene to start with, like in CR? How does 007 actually get on that black airplane? Is there an airstrip (LTK)? Will the spying/chase kick off in Altaussee on these Salzkammergut boats?

Lot of questions hehe :-). By the way, I have been asked to tone down my curiosity a bit, as asking too many of such questions can result in spoiler-ish discussions....Sorry if I do that. I am just very enthusiastic...
    Here's how I thought it might play out.
    Bond is sent to Austria shortly after the pre-titles sequence. There are scenes at the Grand Hotel Lienz, where from there he finds a lead that brings him to the Ice Q. He then sees and/or meets Madeline Swann, where she is kidnapped by men in the Land Rovers. There is a brief ice chase which leads to a small air base, where Bond steels the plane and follows the vehicles through the forest, until they manage to shoot the plane down. And from there, Bond's plane crashes into the house and there is a shootout, where after Bond rescues Swann from the car.
  • jake24 wrote: »

Bond is sent to Austria shortly after the pre-titles sequence. There are scenes at the Grand Hotel Lienz, where from there he finds a lead that brings him to the Ice Q. He then sees and/or meets Madeline Swann, where she is kidnapped by men in the Land Rovers. There is a brief ice chase which leads to a small air base, where Bond steels the plane and follows the vehicles through the forest, until they manage to shoot the plane down. And from there, Bond's plane crashes into the house and there is a shootout, where after Bond rescues Swann from the car.

Please be careful with spoiler tags. I don't know if you read the SonyLeaks @Jake24 . I had serious trouble with that. But if you're guessing this....then I love your guess hehe ;-).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »

Please be careful with spoiler tags. I don't know if you read the SonyLeaks @Jake24 . I had serious trouble with that. But if you're guessing this....then I love your guess hehe ;-).
    I was completely guessing. I have not read any of the Sony leaks.
  • jake24 wrote: »

I was completely guessing. I have not read any of the Sony leaks.

Good then :-). But I really like your idea. Moreover, the idea of kidnapping someone......I still love it. Brings back some CR-memories.
    Is it still unclear whether SPECTRE will be screened in IMAX?
  • RC7RC7

I completely agree with you, as I said previously, the locations they presented were accurate. It just would have been nice to have a broader spectrum given it's demonstrable role in the movie. It still revolved around landmarks and relatively famous locales.

I completely agree with you, as I said previously, the locations they presented were accurate. It just would have been nice to have a broader spectrum given it's demonstrable role in the movie. It still revolved around landmarks and relatively famous locales.

How would you have done it then? Could you give some examples...and how this could be used within the story? I am curious. I read already some examples from you, but it wasn't very clear to me.
  • RC7RC7

How would you have done it then? Could you give some examples...and how this could be used within the story? I am curious. I read already some examples from you, but it wasn't very clear to me.

What wasn't clear?
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,119

What wasn't clear?

How you would used London instead in SF. Some examples. And how perhaps "SPECTRE" can improve on that.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 10,588
    Anybody?
  • I've not heard anything. I seem to remember hearing SF was to be screened in IMAX pretty early in production so I don't think so.
    Actually the producers announced that Skyfall would be screened in IMAX in late February, 2012, so if SPECTRE were to be screened in IMAX then we would probably find out late next month in March, which would be the equivalent to February this time as filming for SP started a month later than SF did.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 3,169
    Bond is sent to Austria shortly after the pre-titles sequence.
    Can't happen. Because we know from the clapperboardpicture, that
    the lake-scene is scene 65, which would put it around the 50-55 minute mark into the movie.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 3,164

The leaks make it clear... Just saying. Official announcement in March probably though, IMAX CEO already mentioned last year that Bond is on their slate.