Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Edge Of Tomorrow (aka Live Die Repeat). I thought it was fascinating. My Son thought it was awesome. My Wife thought it was lacking severely.
    Bottom line for me: Tom's recent Oblivion was a much better sci-fi film, and Groundhog Day was way more emotionally affecting along the same lines, but this movie will appeal GREATLY to gamers & anime freaks. :)>-

I'm glad you liked this movie. I went to see it when it came out in theaters and I thought it was great! Too bad most people probably pass on it thinking it was just another generic Tom Cruise sci-fi pic. I have not seen Oblivion, but it is on my Netflix queue.

Speaking of which, I have may films on my Neflix list and realized next month there will getting rid of some including....

DREDD: I had this on my list for a while and just never got around to see it until now, and it thought it was very entertaining film. Having not read/know about the comics or seen the Stallone one, I didn't really have any expectations. I don't really remember why I wanted to see this film, but I'm glad I did. The characters were good, Karl Urban did fine with the expressions he had to convey for not having to show his face for the whole film. He was imposing, and cool under pressure. The girl who played his partner/newbie did a good job as well. I thought the action sequences, though not extravagant, were handled well especially that scene with bullets hitting people in slow motion - really cool. The villain was great as well. The actress really did a good job being menacing without being too cheesy. If anything this film reminded me of the first Robocop movie in style and tone, and I hope them make more. Hopefully much better than those Robocop sequels. Grade: B+

Also on my list is Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit; however, before seeing this film I decided to go back and watch the other Jack Ryan films (of which I'd only seen the Harrison Ford ones) starting with....

The Hunt for Red October: I haven't really seen many movies dealing with submarines (well unless I count TWINE), so really wasn't sure to expect, but I actually liked this film. I like the suspense in a few scenes, like when a torpedo was going to hit the submarine, and there so much you can convey compare to a car chase or plane being hit by a missile, where those move really quick. I think it was capture well with the expression and actions of the crew even though you weren't seeing much from the outside. Also the mystery of what was going on: were the Russians defecting? Was there sabotage? It was done well. The cast was fine. I thought SC and Sam Neill did good, I actually liked Sam Neill here, although at times I was like don't they have to speak in Russian accents? Alec Baldwin was ok. They certainly didn't show him much which was surprising, but when he was on, he kinda reminded me of his character in Beetlejuice in his way of talking and enthusiasm. Having only seen Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan so far, I think Baldwin pales in comparison. I also thought it was funny that one of the American navy officers on the aircraft carrier was the butler on the TV show "The Nanny"! Grade: B
    Watching "The American" now with George Clooney. Very underrated movie IMHO. Too slow and European in style for the US market.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    patb wrote: »
    Watching "The American" now with George Clooney. Very underrated movie IMHO. Too slow and European in style for the US market.
    I enjoyed most of the fight scenes.
    Oh wait. I'm thinking of American Ninja. Nevermind.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Rewatched the Fast & Furious films made so far to prepare for the 7th outing.

The Fast and Furious was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and I still love it. The special effects and look of the film may look very early 2000's now, but I think it stays pretty cool. Always fun to see how it all started out.

2 Fast 2 Furious This one I like a lot too, because Vin Diesel isn't in it. Mind you, Vin is cool, but in small doses: :) Paul Walker plays my favorite character of the franchise so it's cool to see him get his own outing. And Eva Mendes is always a big pleasure to look at. :x

Tokyo Drift This one gets a lot of hate, but I enjoy it a lot. I love asian cities and locals so it's awesome to have a whole outing here. The film has a futurist look to it, so it's enjoyable IMO. The hero is a bit wooden, but the leading lady is a huge eye candy and Han gets introduced here, a very cool character.

Fast & Furious This one is where the fun really start, even if the previous 3 films I found entertaining. The film looks much more expensive, Paul Walker has a more rugged look, the opening scene is epic... No eye candy in this one though, unfortunately :(

Fast Five is my favorite outing of the franchise. It's simply breathtaking. Love the Brazil settings, the action is epic, and Dwayne Johnson is a worthy addition to the cast. The ending is completly bonkers, with Walker and Diesel wrecking havoc across the city, but still quite enjoyable.

Furious 6 is a notch down the previous outing, but still an awesome film, and I really enjoy the direction the series is going. The action scenes are thrilling, although the end sequence on an seemingly never-ending runway is totally unrealistic but remains epic. I can't wait to see Statham in the next film. :D
    Labyrinth (1986), chosen as my birthday flick. This has to be in my Top 5 most-watched films ever (or at least 10), and it really is one of my favorites. Something about it just works so well for me, and it never bores me. Just a really fun, highly original movie.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Labyrinth (1986), chosen as my birthday flick. This has to be in my Top 5 most-watched films ever (or at least 10), and it really is one of my favorites. Something about it just works so well for me, and it never bores me. Just a really fun, highly original movie.

I love this movie as well and is my 17 year old daughter's all time favorite film. We watch it at least twice a year. There is a theater in town (New Orleans) that screens it regularly as a midnight movie; it's always a sell out with many who attent in costime.

talos7 wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »

I love this movie as well and is my 17 year old daughter's all time favorite film. We watch it at least twice a year. There is a theater in town (New Orleans) that screens it regularly as a midnight movie; it's always a sell out with many who attent in costime.

That is too awesome! I would go a number of times I'm sure.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2015 Posts: 4,447
    2014:

Stranger Than Fiction (2006) 7.0
    Henry Poole Is Here (2008) 6.5
    Mr. Popper's Penguins (2011) 8.0
    Safe House (2012) 7.0 (BD)
    Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011) 8.0 (BD)
    Agent Cody Banks (2003) 7.0
    Man on a Ledge (2012) 7.0 (TV)
    The Brothers Bloom (2008) 7.0
    Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London (2004) 5.0
    Dream House (2011) 7.0
    2012 (2009) 7.0 (BD)
    The Rock (1996) 8.0 *Re-Watch* (VHS)
    Armageddon (1998) 8.0 *Re-Watch*
    The Four Feathers (2002) 7.0
    City of Ember (2008) 6.5
    The Company You Keep (2012) 6.0 (BD)
    Zookeeper (2011) 7.0 (BD)
    This Means War (2012) 7.0 *Unrated Cut* (BD)
    Lockout (2012) 7.0 *Unrated Cut* (BD)
    Cat Run (2011) 6.0
    The Cold Light of Day (2012) 6.0 (BD)
    Kiss Me Deadly (2008) 5.0
    The Paperboy (2012) 6.5 (BD)
    Death Race 2 (2010) 7.0 (BD)
    What Dreams May Come (1998) 6.0 *Robin Williams tribute*
    What's Your Number? (2011) 6.0 (TV)
    Looper (2012) 5.0 This whas big disapointed.
    Finding Amanda (2008) 6.0
    Nora (2000) 6.0
    King Kong (2005) 8.0
    Haywire (2011) Friendley 6.0 (5.0), but story is vey weak. (BD)
    Blitz (2011) 7.0 (TV)
    Beautiful Creatures (2013) 6.5 (BD)
    Young Adult (2011) 7.0 (BD)
    Peter Pan (2003) 7.0
    Inception (2010) 7.0 (BD)
    X-Men: First Class (2011) 7.5 (TV)
    Assepoester: Een modern sprookje (2014) 5.0 (TV)
    Smart People (2008) 6.5
    Home Alone: The Holiday Heist (2012) 5.0 (TV)

2015 til so far..:

Skyfall (2012) *Re-Watch* 7.0 (TV)
    Taken (2008) *Re-Watch* 7.0 (BD)
    Jack Reacher (2012) 7.0 (TV)
    Men in Black 3 (2012) 7.5 (TV)
    Taken 2 (2012) 6.0 (TV)
    Alleen maar nette mensen ''Only Decent People'' (2012) 6.0/5.5 (TV)

and yesterday..

Mirror Mirror (2012) 6.5 (TV) Difrent twist on Snowwhite again on Ella Enchanted way.
    Green Lantern (2011) 7.0 (TV) I expect a more dificult movie/Superman style. But it turn out in to Spider-Man cloning again, with over all Spider-Man 2 cloning this time. A problem that happend with Fantastic Four also. There are not the first and to much simalar villian. In this case we take villian so big as Dr Octopus, whyle Fantastic Four with Dr Dome be to much Green Goblin. But the end spoil there whant to make Green Goblin with Green Lantern 2, but as we know the sequel is canceld. This making the end even more worse. With first Spider-Man my only problem i have whas the end who whas a bit to long, but atleast it get a bit of buld up and you see it coming. With Greenlatern it begins to fast and end it so fast as begins.Tim Robins are mabey moost known from all of them too, the movie missing a fames face. But i have understand, that BD release include DC cut. End result: A litle bit better/mabey even as Fantastic Four, thanks to longer screentime. Fantastic Four get same writer as Goldeneye, whyle Green Lantern same directer as Goldeneye.
  • The Longest Day. Funny that some of the best scenes are by Bond alumni: Jürgens, Connery, Fröbe and the almost-M Kenneth More.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Yesterday I watched two films with a double double-oh connection. I started the day with the superb Danish WWII thriller 'Flammen & Citronen' starring Mads Mikkelsen and also featuring Jesper Christensen. Sadly things went from the sublime to the ridiculous with feeble 1977 B-movie (and I'm being generous there) 'Stunts' which includes Mr. Wint himself, Bruce Glover, in a far from Oscar-worthy performance as a decidedly unconvincing stuntman and an early score by Michael Kamen.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Village Of The Damned (1960)

child460.jpg

A small English town suddenly and unexpectedly falls asleep. A few hours later, everyone awakes. The women are pregnant. Children with extreme intellect and psi powers are born. These children know what you think and they will get what they want...

Black-and-white 50s/60s paranoia horror can be deliciously simple and at the same time very frightening. Fear of Communism resulted in many interesting stories about seemingly normal people, living next to your house or even under your roof, hiding a dark secret, plotting against you, scheming to take over the world.

From Don Siegel's Invasion Of The Body Snatchers to Christian Nyby's The Thing From Another World, the central message lacks complexity and nuance but may very well be so effective because of that: never trust others, and indeed, don't even trust yourself.

Village Of The Damned works as both great paranoia horror and scary science fiction. Though most of the film is spent on people talking, some surprisingly eerie moments amp up the terror. Don't be fooled by the film's age; it will not be an obstacle if you can overcome prejudice againt 'old' movies. Still vastly superior over its 90's remake, Village Of The Damned is a relatively small-scale horror classic.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,081
    220px-Wild2014Poster.jpg

Wild (2014), directed by Jean-Marc Vallée, whose Dallas Buyers Club a year earlier I loved, so it was his name that first got me interested in this. Starring Reese Witherspoon, whom I like anyway, and who is good here - as is Laura Dern. I did like this one a lot, too, though not as much as Mr. Vallée's previous film.

Django Unchained (2012), great acting work and a fantastically weird and fun movie... until it isn't. The bloodbath near the end seems just stupid and totally unnecessary and the movie never recovers from that low-point for me. A pity. It was quite brilliant until then.

220px-TheOrderPoster.jpg

The Order (also known as The Sin Eater) (2003). Well, this is just plain bad. It has Heath Ledger in the lead role though, so it's almost watchable for that alone. Almost. But not really. I did manage though.

Prince of Jutland (1994). Based on the same legend as Shakespeare's Hamlet. Very non-glamorous, looks kinda cheap and play-like in style somehow. Great actors (Helen Mirren, Gabriel Byrne, and Christian Bale as the prince), but they all seemed... somehow strange, what a weird movie. Once I got used to it being the way it was I found it pretty amusing to watch, but I couldn't possibly recommend.

220px-Empire_of_the_Sun.jpg

Empire Of The Sun (1987), directed by Steven Spielberg. I enjoyed it, hadn't seen it in ages. And Christian Bale was quite wonderful as the 13-year-old lead in this. While he apparently enjoyed making this, the impression I've gotten is that what happened to the kid in the movie also kinda happened to him - grew up too fast. Providing for the family from such a young age is probably not ideal.
    The Children Of The Damned (1964)

2005540835review0201.jpg

This loose sequel to Village Of The Damned steers away from the alien angle presented in the previous film and suggests a genetic mutation leading towards a highly advanced future human race. Because the children are less antagonistic and hostile than the alien breed of Village Of The Damned, the movie tends to also be more morally ambiguous. We have no direct reason to hate them but they are different, they can overpower us, they are threatening in a way.

The central theme is no longer Red scare or xenophobic paranoia, but much rather our insecurity when dealing with socio-biological evolution. We must accept the fact that our race will continue to evolve - spontaneous mutations will lead to a different type of humans, if at least we give life a chance. The Children Of The Damned presents a rather sudden evolutionary jump, leading towards an old-fashioned us-versus-them conflict, but the moral, ethical and scientific debate is nevertheless topical, both in 1964 and today.

The only thing left behind since the previous film are those few brief but powerful moments of terror. We are allowed to relax, not getting too worried about the possibly negative outcome of this whole ordeal. As such, this film may be slightly less interesting than its predecessor. Nonetheless, I still enjoy the material as a fan of sci-fi movies that make you think.
    Corny in what way, @Birdleson? I didn't find it corny, and liked it, but it's obviously all just opinion and personal experiences with movies (and many other things) anyway. Or the word "corny" may mean something other than how I understand it. :) (I realize that's always an option, and I have recently concluded that must be the case with another word.)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Lego movie, great fun, charming and very funny.
    Wild Card with Statham, entertaining noirish movie about Las Vegas.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Corny in what way, @Birdleson? I didn't find it corny, and liked it, but it's obviously all just opinion and personal experiences with movies (and many other things) anyway. Or the word "corny" may mean something other than how I understand it. :) (I realize that's always an option, and I have recently concluded that must be the case with another word.)

I haven't seen it. I'm going by what I've heard.

Yes, I got that you haven't seen it, I was just wondering why you thought it was.

• My local Target had all 7 Saw movies for a mere $15 and I couldn't pass on that!
    I had forgotten how good the first 4 were.
    After that it sort of turned into Hoffman's story with the occasional Jigsaw flashback cameo.
    Horror Express (1972)

5152_5.jpg

Lee, Cushing, Savallas and others star in this tremendously entertaining horror film. But the main cast member may very well be a ... train. Look, I love spooky films that take place in a confined space such a house, a school, a train, ... You quickly get a sense of geography and escape routes are limited. Add to that the nostalgia factor and you understand why I like Horror Express so much. It's not the best film ever made in the genre, but it's a fun ride nevertheless.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,081

I haven't seen it. I'm going by what I've heard.

Yes, I got that you haven't seen it, I was just wondering why you thought it was.

From what I've heard and the previews I've seen it look alike every generic, cloying and mawkish "self-discovery journey through nature" I've ever seen. That and BOX TROLLS are the only screeners I have left so I'll probably get to them over the weekend.

Ok. Maybe you'll hate it. :) I don't think it was brilliant, but I did like it. I don't know if I've seen (m)any(?) "self-discovery journey through nature" films so I can't compare.

---

Pocahontasposter.jpg

Pocahontas (1995) Ok, I like being thorough. And at times I regret it a bit. Like with this one. The story was no good, the animation wasn't that great IMO, the way the two main characters were done was irritating (stereotyping much?), the music was bloody awful (thank goodness for forward button). It did make me miss Malick's The New World, though, so I guess I'll need to re-watch that soon... :)

220px-The_Flowers_of_War_english_poster.jpg

The Flowers Of War (2011) directed by Zhang Yimou. Aesthetically beautiful. An absolutely fantastic cast all around. It's amazing that many of the actors were making their first film - like Ni Ni who was just fantastic. One of the most heartbreaking movies I've ever seen. (The last time I had a somewhat similar reaction to any movie was a couple of years ago with Biutiful.) I didn't even realize how unusual or controversial a lot of the stuff in this movie was for a Chinese movie until reading about it afterwards. I must also admit to complete lack of prior knowledge about the historical events. And what a great small-scale human story the movie told in order to tell a story of a wider human tragedy.
    Zhang asked a friend and colleague Steven Spielberg for recommendations for the western actor for the movie and Spielberg recommended Christian Bale, and wrote a personal note to the actor about doing it, too, which was an interesting detail to learn. So he hadn't forgotten about that kid, and was keeping track... :P
    What I wanted to know was how does it work when one of the biggest roles in a movie is done by an actor who does not speak the same language as the rest of the cast, or indeed the director. Clearly it can work, and did so in this case. Like Bale said, there was a language barrier, but not a communication barrier... and that you need to go beyond language anyway. He said he has had more trouble understanding some English speaking directors than Zhang. And actually, all that makes perfect sense to me. It was also obvious when watching them together. In one article I read the writer mentioned that it's impossible to miss the bond and affection between the director and the actor and I thought "oh, I know, I was just watching them..." :)
    I have seen some of Zhang's other movies, but I need to re-watch them if possible, and see if I can get my hands on more...

@Tuulia, I must watch The Flowers Of War.

Laura (1944)

Gene-Tierney-Laura_l.jpg

It was last suggested to me, in this thread, that I should watch Laura. And I always keep my word so I did. And I loved every second of it. Seeing Vincent Price in something other than his usual eerie horror roles, was something of a revelation. And Gene Tierney, playing the titular Laura, was quite the looker back in the day. A clever film noir, reminds us of the fact that even old black-and-white movies can be worth our time in the 21st Century.
    @DarthDimi, glad you liked it! =] And Gene Tierney was indeed a very beautiful woman.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Tuulia, I must watch The Flowers Of War.

I hope you like it, let me know... :)

... and oh heck, now I have Julie London singing "Laura" in my head... an interesting mix with The Dark Knight Rises soundtrack that I have in the stereo... :P
    Patriot Games: This and next one are the Jack Ryan movies that I'd seen, but boy do I not remember much of this one at all aside from the first couple of scenes. However, I guess it's like watching for the first time and really enjoyed it. Compare to The Hunt for Red October where Alec Baldwin's Jack Ryan was pretty much in the background, Harrison Ford's version is right at the forefront. I do like Ford's version and he does the action and suspense really well. Nice to see James Earl Jones' character carried over from the last one, but I got a kick on seen other actors I didn't know at the time and were in this movie: Sean Bean, the guy who played Robin Hood in that movie with Uma Thurman, the little girl from Monkey Business. I also found it funny the technology that was high end at that time: car phones, the slide projector, green screen text computers. I remember a friend who had a car phone, and some of that information they were looking for would have been found faster today! Grade: B+
    Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Still trying to like this movie after 16 years. I actually couldn't even finish it. Turned it off at the part when Jar Jar got promoted to a general.
  • Ah, Phantom Menace... the fast forward button is strong with this one.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Mesa try to forget Phantom Menace
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Gone Girl
    I heard nothing but good things about this film yet I kept putting it off, the trailers just made it seem kind of meh. I rented it last night and wasn't disappointed. I recommend this movie. It's nothing I would own, and it does have it's fair share of plot holes, but it's definitely worth a watch.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's a classic. Great film.
    Clear and Present Danger: Even though I didn't remember much of Patriot Games, I did remember this one much more cause it was very good. The reason being it capture the elements from Hunt and Patriot that I enjoyed into this one. Harrison Ford was in good form here and I liked his Jack Ryan analysing and tracking down leads to get to the truth. The rest of the cast was fine and I like that it was kinda like a sequel with other cast members coming back - his wife, daughter, James Earl Jones. Again was surprised to see other actors I recognized: Sydney Bacchau (the henchman from A View to a Kill, I also knew him from the TV show The Pretender), the guy from Herbie, that bad guy from Mission Impossible with Tom Cruise, Ted Raimi's brother (he was also in the last film), Benjamin Pratt, Clark Gregg (Phil Coulson) even had a small role in this one. The action even though minimal was good, but it was the whole getting the info that was needed to see who was behind what is what got my attention. Grade: A-