Would you like to see graphic violence in SPECTRE?

In the sense of Bind just blowing a guy's brains out with a single shot from his Walther and the camera shot showing blood and brain spatter.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    It's bond, not die hard
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    There are plenty of other films that fill that criteria, Bond is essentially family entertainment and should remain so. Go watch a Tarantino if that's what you want!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,727
    No, I would not. There's more than enough of that already - elsewhere. The Bond films have (nearly) always been different in that regard and rightly so.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond is meant to be family entertainment. LTK lost a lot of money due to a higher age rating. I think the producers learnt something from that "mistake".
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Bond is meant to be family entertainment. LTK lost a lot of money due to a higher age rating. I think the producers learnt something from that "mistake".

Indeed.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    In the sense of Bind just blowing a guy's brains out with a single shot from his Walther and the camera shot showing blood and brain spatter.

Thoughts?

I'm going to pretty much go with all the other comments here and say no. I would not like to see that.
    I'll throw a question back to you though and ask why you would want to see that?
    What does it bring to the film seeing someone get killed in a graphic way?

No. Graphic violence for the sake of it is something that should be left in the 80s.

Im more interested in the film just being good.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    As far as I can see most of us here would not want to see that amount of violence in a Bond film so if that's the sort of thing that you get your jollies from you will best served by looking elsewhere Reguards Coggins.
    A steady diet of graphic violence tends to be desensitizing, fueling the need for more and bloodier. My imagination can fill in the details. Thus I've never felt the need to see what Bond did to that spider in DN.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    LTK took us as far as I ever want to go.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Yes please, I actually want very realistic blood and gore.
    May I suggest "Saving Private Ryan"?

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't require any gore but I do want to see some great fist fights.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I don't require any gore but I do want to see some great fist fights.
    Craig did some superb head-banging-on-porcelain & knife stuff, but Goldeneye & From Russia With Love will not easily be surpassed IMO.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,310
    The James Bond books were fairly graphic, but I always thought that the films never were really about that. There are indeed some fairly violent acts and concepts (one that I think is always overlooked is Zorin machine-gunning his entire mining crew in the 'PG' rated AVATAK), but rarely is anything ever lingered on.

There should always be a level of violence to the Bond films, but I think it should always come with a level of censorship and class. Sometimes the imagination can make things much more intense than giving it all away on screen.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 372
    The Bond movies are above excessive gore in my opinion. I have nothing against a good fist fight. Loads of people are going to disagree, but I don't think Bond is essentially a very violent character. He can take down a few henchmen but I hope they make the rest of the violence very clean and tense, maybe have Bond be a sniper or something. More espionage and reconescence and less endless fight or chase scenes.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    CrabKey wrote: »
    A steady diet of graphic violence tends to be desensitizing, fueling the need for more and bloodier. My imagination can fill in the details. Thus I've never felt the need to see what Bond did to that spider in DN.
    No wonder he got sick!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote: »
    May I suggest "Saving Private Ryan"?
    Or some IS videos.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Err.. no.
    I don't need graphic violence. I prefer that EON continues to handle the violence in good taste. I don't need to see in great detail the impact of JHP on human tissue. I hope Bond will continue to handle the numerous fatalities in "good taste".

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Only gratuitous violence thank you very much.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited February 2015 Posts: 1,257
    I'm imagining blood spurting from Edmund Slate's carotid and femoral arteries as he slips into unconsciousness in a pool of his own blood.

I'm typically fine with graphic violence but that just doesn't work in the Bond franchise.

For me personally I enjoy seeing a more brutal violent Bond in some circumstances. As long as the scene warrants it and the character deserves it. It gives the viewer satisfaction that this person deserved what they received. I don't think the whole film needs to be completely cram packed full of it, but in certain moments it works well.

But looking at it from the franchise point of view, I totally understand limiting the graphic violence in order to retain a wider audience. It's a tightrope they have to walk in order to please all types of viewers.

Honestly though I think people need to understand and expect certain things when they go see a Bond movie. There will be guns, violence, sexual situations, and language in some films.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Some gratuitous sex and violence, huh? ;-)

Look, a brutal, ass kicking Bond like Craig in the CR PTS never fails to entertain me. But gore and splatter in a Bond would cheapen things up beyond repair. This isn't a Michael Bay film or Saw: the 007 edition. Violence can be functional, even Fleming worked from that truth, but visceral extremities can serve no purpose unless they have nothing to offer at all, in which case I'd prefer they simply didn't release the film.
    Not going to happen as it would seriously affect its B/O results. I am sure this happened with LTK all those years ago?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Some gratuitous sex and violence, huh? ;-)

Yep. I'll elaborate.

Gratuitous violence is when Bond punches a bartender for no reason.

Graphic violence is when Bond punches a bartender, breaks his nose and blood is squirting out from the bartender's nasal cavity.

Now, gratuitous sex and violence is when Bond punches a bartender, causing the bartender to strategically spill Bond's vodka martini on a rather voluptuous woman wearing a skin tight white dress or blouse. The woman not wearing a bra goes without saying. Bond immediately takes the woman back to his hotel room, to um, help dry her off.

And this my friends is the difference between gratuitous violence, graphic violence and gratuitous sex and violence.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2015 Posts: 4,548
    I'm imagining blood spurting from Edmund Slate's carotid and femoral arteries as he slips into unconsciousness in a pool of his own blood.

I'm typically fine with graphic violence but that just doesn't work in the Bond franchise.

I think that scene is the most violent I have seen in any Bond film.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 39
    I wanna see blofeld get his blody head chopped off
    SirBilli wrote: »
    I wanna see blofeld get his blody head chopped off
    Fan of ISIS are we?
    No, Just Tarantino.