'Skyfall' re-ignited me as a fan. What about you?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Getafix wrote: »
    The Tennyson speech is bloody awful IMO. Not only totally out of place in Bond but totally out of place in any movie. Quoting your A level poetry texts does not make you a great screenwriter/director. Lazy, pretentious drivel.
    And some say Forster was being artsy with QOS...
    =;
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,189
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The Tennyson speech is bloody awful IMO. Not only totally out of place in Bond but totally out of place in any movie. Quoting your A level poetry texts does not make you a great screenwriter/director. Lazy, pretentious drivel.
    And some say Forster was being artsy with QOS...
    =;

Well, the "four elements" idea is pretty artsy too. At least the Tennyson speech has some relevance to the story (i.e. we may be weaker than we once were but we are still strong willed). That was pretty much the theme of Fleming's stories (a fading empire).
  • TigerTanakaTigerTanaka Welcome to Japan, Mr. Bond
    Did Skyfall re-ignite me as a fan? Absolutely. I love CR and QOS, but the big reveal in the end of SF with Moneypenny and the new 'M' and the classic conference room, certainly stamped this movie as "A Bond Movie" :)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Getafix having a hard on over Skyfall hate, somethings never change!

Your opinion and we weren't fooled we entertained look I probably can't stand your favourites but you really have to let this go, you are in every bloody thread about Skyfall be it hate or love.

If Skyfall was a girl I'd say you seriously fancy it because you can't shut up about it, we could compile a novel on your opinions on it, seriously give it a rest!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Getafix having a hard on over Skyfall hate, somethings never change!

Your opinion and we weren't fooled we entertained look I probably can't stand your favourites but you really have to let this go, you are in every bloody thread about Skyfall be it hate or love.

If Skyfall was a girl I'd say you seriously fancy it because you can't shut up about it, we could compile a novel on your opinions on it, seriously give it a rest!

I feel bad for those that don't like Skyfall. There's so much to love in it, stuff you can't find in a lot of the other Bond films. There's something deeper, something far more symbolic and relevant about it all, the Tennyson sequence being the cherry on top of a very impressive cake.

While I understand and respect the opinions of those who don't care for it, it does get tiresome to see the same faces spouting negativity about the film over and over again ad nauseam, a phenomenon recognized as MattHelmitis in the states, I believe.

In a way, I feel truly sad for the dissenters. To experience a surge of overflowing enjoyment for something to such a great degree, whether it's a film, a book or just a single character you're obsessed with is phenomenal, but it also brings about a bitter feeling when you realize some people will never get to feel that same boundless energy for themselves. However, I think I'm done wiping my tears for the Skyfall hate brigade, and am now more than happy just to have parties without them.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    patb wrote: »
    IMDB poles have little to do with mainstream audiences. SF offered a very rounded movie experience. It alienated some Bond fans because it tried to do something different. And thats why, I suspect this thread exists. It is closer to a conventional thriller and further away from mainstream conventional Bond than any of the others IMHO and I suspect this debate will still be running for many years in the same way the OHMSS is still hotly debated. Obviously everyone has the right to their own opinion but the fact is that movies are made to put bums on seats and , if possible, gain critical acclaim. Even those who don't like it surely have to respect it for what it achieved.

Funny. I see it quite differently. I see the SF story as really badly done - not like a 'proper' thriller at all. More of a nasty straight to DVD type plot. The story is actually total nonsense. What 'redeems' the film is supposedly the cinematogrpahy and themes that run through it. But in my view, if the story isn't right, then the film ain't right either.

Loving the fact that SF is slipping, even in IMDB rankings - not that I pay any attention to them, of course! ;)

You still going on about the story being nonsense @Getafix? ;))
    Boy, you don't tire of this do you?

We can pull it apart from now til doomsday but history will see it remain amongst the most popular Bond films in the series.

However @Getafix you should now spread your word a little further afield and preach your dislike outside of the community, like one of those African missionaries.

;-)
    Sark wrote: »
    I too wasn't sorry to see Dench's M go. She was servicable for awhile, but frankly became a little of a b**** (funny how we're not allowed to use words on these forums that appear in the books and films themselves) as the movies wore on.

When Q took that little elevator thing in TWINE it was much more moving for me, as well as being much more understated.

The Tennyson speech was probably the most pretentious moment of the entire Bond franchise, I'll give you that.

Totally agree. The Tennyson speech is bloody awful IMO. Not only totally out of place in Bond but totally out of place in any movie. Quoting your A level poetry texts does not make you a great screenwriter/director. Lazy, pretentious drivel. M deserved to be shot there and then for her condescending arrogance and stupidity. God I was glad when she finally copped it - seven movies too late but better late than never!

I agree when it comes to "M" being a very incompetent MI6-boss. It's a fact. She first of all travelled way way too much, thus exposing MI-6 to unnecessary dangers. A true MI6-boss has a fully-loaded desk job and always stays under the radar, to make sure that the secrecy of the service doesn't get compromised. It's something I always disliked about Judi Dench version of "M".

On top of that....it's frikkin' expensive too! She gets paid by taxpayers money, but still has the blatant impoliteness to travel to: Azerbaijan, Turkey, demilitarized zone of Korea, Hong Kong, The Bahama's, Bolivia, Russia (Kazan) and that poor-man's land called Scotland ;-). In any case, it's only logical that she's dead.

And that's where I wholeheartedly agree with Mallory: "We are a democracy, so we have to be accountable for our actions".

BUT, there's one part I disagree with. Regardless of the above plain logic, I do think "M's" Tennyson-speech was terrific. It was 200% "Sam Mendes", as the director really wanted to reflect on the overall theme, the overall "leitmotif" of the film. And I think that really worked. "Espionage" IMO is the central theme of the film. It's a crisp and clear message that mirrors today's real-life espionage. And "M" is right: "They are not nations, they operate in the shadows. That's where we must do battle".

Perhaps this Tennyson-speech lacks any real "Bond feel". But that's what sets this film apart from many other Bond films. I like that. And it works. It gives a Bond film new substance, and not just form.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I just think using the poem is like having post it notes on the screen pointing out the themes of the film. A good film doesn't need that kind of klunky explanation - the film itself should do the talking. And in what world do the head of Sectet Service agencies quote poetry in their defence during committee hearings into gross incompetence?

I've probably misremembered it, but are the committee even questioning the need for spies? It's not a question I've ever heard come up in the real world. The issue is usually about wanting our spies to do a better job and perhaps controlling some of their excesses (torture), not asking whether we need them. In the context if the film, M seems to be responding to some none existent question and ducking the main point, which is that she has screwed up. It's why I find the whole scene a bit nonsensical and just feel the poem has been shoehorned in because Mendes wanted it.

Any way, I appreciate there are those on here who think the only acceptable comment on SF is a positive one, so I'll pipe down and leave this thread to the cheerleaders.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,167
    While I understand and respect the opinions of those who don't care for it, it does get tiresome to see the same faces spouting negativity about the film over and over again ad nauseam.
    Likewise, while I understand and respect the opinions of those who love it, it does get tiresome to see the same faces spouting positivity about the film over and over again. ;-)

And no... I am not part of any "Skyfall hate brigade". I am just a regular James Bond fan, who think SF is overrated. Unlike the love brigade of course, who can't stand the thought of people not liking SF ;-)
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Unlike the love brigade of course, who can't stand the thought of people not liking SF ;-)

No, they just 'feel sorry for you' ;)
    @Sark
    Hmm... yes. Usually when someone dares to criticize SF, one of two, or both, things happen:
    1) One or several members of The Love Brigade "feels sorry" for this certain someone.
    2) One or several members of The Love Brigade calls this certain someone a "hater" who just "doesn't get it."

I am okay with that. Some people who use strong words like "hate" are clearly very passionate. I try not to get into an argument with people like that. It's just a movie ;-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    While I understand and respect the opinions of those who don't care for it, it does get tiresome to see the same faces spouting negativity about the film over and over again ad nauseam.
    Likewise, while I understand and respect the opinions of those who love it, it does get tiresome to see the same faces spouting positivity about the film over and over again. ;-)

And no... I am not part of any "Skyfall hate brigade". I am just a regular James Bond fan, who think SF is overrated. Unlike the love brigade of course, who can't stand the thought of people not liking SF ;-)

1.) Positivity isn't poisonous like negativity and hate are. That's why you never hear people saying, "Hey you, stop being so positive over there," while addressing one another.

2.) We don't call ourselves a brigade; we're an army. Brigades are kid's stuff, honestly.

3.) I do not get upset about people not liking Skyfall, and obviously don't expect everyone to like it; a fool, I am not. I do however, feel very sorry for them, as I've said.
    I just think using the poem is like having post it notes on the screen pointing out the themes of the film. A good film doesn't need that kind of klunky explanation - the film itself should do the talking. And in what world do the head of Sectet Service agencies quote poetry in their defence during committee hearings into gross incompetence?

I've probably misremembered it, but are the committee even questioning the need for spies? It's not a question I've ever heard come up in the real world. The issue is usually about wanting our spies to do a better job and perhaps controlling some of their excesses (torture), not asking whether we need them. In the context if the film, M seems to be responding to some none existent question and ducking the main point, which is that she has screwed up. It's why I find the whole scene a bit nonsensical and just feel the poem has been shoehorned in because Mendes wanted it.

Any way, I appreciate there are those on here who think the only acceptable comment on SF is a positive one, so I'll pipe down and leave this thread to the cheerleaders.

Actually, yes. M references the committee's opinions of the agency at the very start of the Tennyson sequence, saying that she has heard them tell her all day about how quaint the 00 section is, and questioning its purpose in modern times. From our modern day standpoint, with so much signal intelligence via satellites and other means of surveillance, at times people are understandably curious why agents in the field even exist anymore. Why pass messages through dead drops when there's e-mail, or encrypted means of safe communication? Of course, the reason we need human spies in the field is because of this very stuff. As M says, the world is far more dangerous now in the tech savvy era we find ourselves in, where anyone with an internet connection and hacking prowess can crumble companies, individuals and governments by stealing identities, cash and more, robbing them of their safety. Hacking is one of the most covert types of crime around, so much so that by the time you realize your information has been compromised, it's too late. This image of the world makes it seem far more unsafe than imaginable, which is why we need men and women like Bond around to keep us protected from men like Silva, who is the personification of the tech era itself.

Throughout the film, M's so-called "poor performance" has sparked some doubt in the committee about her usefulness and in association, the usefulness of all the agents under her jurisdiction. When speaking at the inquiry she isn't "ducking" anything, and explains her actions fully. Her team's failings are very much her own, so she is speaking on behalf of not only her actions, but also the actions of agents like Bond who seem irrelevant to the committee as a whole. She states clearly and firmly just why they are all needed.

Without Bond and his team there to protect London, who knows how much more damage Silva would've done. He wanted M and was willing to kill/destroy anyone and anything standing in his way to do it. If not for Bond and the rest of the security personnel on site at the inquiry, it would have been a far bloodier mess than imaginable. Part of the reason Bond and M go to Scotland is to avoid that kind of collateral damage, and take Silva out of his environment like he was constantly taking Bond out of his the entire film.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Hate isn't the opposite of love. Indifference is ;-)
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Who said anything about opposites? I was just making a point about how anger and heated resentment do nobody any good.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Who said anything about opposites?
    Well, weren't you the one that mentioned that there is a so-called "Skyfall hate brigade"?

I just don't see any hate here, that's all.
    'Did Skyfall' re-ignite you as a fan?'

Please answer with a simple "YES" or "NO". I think the original topic question is a bit...lost...hehe.

Please answer with a simple "YES" or "NO". I think the original topic question is a bit...lost...hehe.
    But it isn't a simple question.
    I too wasn't sorry to see Dench's M go. She was servicable for awhile, but frankly became a little of a b**** (funny how we're not allowed to use words on these forums that appear in the books and films themselves) as the movies wore on.

When Q took that little elevator thing in TWINE it was much more moving for me, as well as being much more understated.

The Tennyson speech was probably the most pretentious moment of the entire Bond franchise, I'll give you that.

Totally agree. The Tennyson speech is bloody awful IMO. Not only totally out of place in Bond but totally out of place in any movie. Quoting your A level poetry texts does not make you a great screenwriter/director. Lazy, pretentious drivel. M deserved to be shot there and then for her condescending arrogance and stupidity. God I was glad when she finally copped it - seven movies too late but better late than never!

Yes! Im not alone!

I feel it important to point out that i dont begrudge anyone loving SF.We all have different tastes.I just think the film is INCREDIBLY overrated.Very poorly plotted and badly staged in many areas.I didnt need to see the film multiple times to spot any plot holes, on first viewing ( iv seen it twice ) i couldnt beleive how stupid some of the events in the film were ( Silvas plan really doesnt make sense especially how he managed to escape from his glass cell in front of two armed guards facing him ).I really detest Denchs M and since the plot relied on her so much i had no empthy at all for her given her stupidity. i was so glad she died in the end that i remember thinking '' The bitch is dead! ''

I will say the film does look great and the pre title action sequence was superb ( up until the the bloody shot ).
    edited January 2015 Posts: 28,694
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Who said anything about opposites?
    Well, weren't you the one that mentioned that there is a so-called "Skyfall hate brigade"?

I just don't see any hate here, that's all.

If you thought that I called you and your comrades that moniker with even the slightest bit of earnest, I fear your levity detector needs new batteries. ;)

Just answering YES or NO lacks profound substance, an element which this forum demands we put into each post, and for good reason. If it wasn't for our so-called off the rails discussions, a lot of great comments from both sides of the Skyfall debate would have never been posted. And that would be the purest definition of criminal.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Yes! Im not alone!
    Of course not. According to 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, there's a whole "brigade" ;-)
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Yes! Im not alone!
    Of course not. According to 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, there's a whole "brigade" ;-)

Though I think you still fail to see my attempt at levity in that designation, I would like to point out that a brigade is a decidedly small subdivision, not substantial in the slightest, especially from a military standpoint. Now, whether that factored at all into my decision to use it in the above posts is up to you to wonder.
    I would like to point out that a brigade is a decidedly small subdivision, not substantial in the slightest
    A brigade is at least 3000 people. You can look it up.
    3000 users here who "hate" SF? Hmm....I am not saying you are wrong.
    I would probably have gone for "battalion" which is little less, though. Like 300 to 1000 usually. ;-)

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Skyfall certainly did not re-ignite me as a fan, Casino Royale did. Although prior to CR, I wouldn't have really called myself a "fan" either, just a kid who liked the occasional Bond movie.

I do however think Skyfall raised the esteem of franchise, especially in the eyes of the general public. It seems EON has raised the bar with regard to casting, stunts, cinematography, etc and it appears that trend is continuing with SPECTRE.
    People know me as a guy that sometimes has too much substance LOL :-P. It's just fun to see if you can choose, with the knife on your throat...so to say :-). Be your own devil , your own simple one-sided person without substance, but with the gut to choose in an instant ;-).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Then the answer, very simply and clearly is "NO".

I was already a fan.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Then the answer, very simply and clearly is "NO".

I was already a fan.

Well done @bondjames hehehe

=D> ;-)
    I would like to point out that a brigade is a decidedly small subdivision, not substantial in the slightest
    I would probably have gone for "battalion" which is little less, though. Like 300 to 1000 usually. ;-)

And considering that an army like the United States has well over 400,000 active personnel, not counting those in reserve, that figure is beyond diminutive in comparison. In a way, it fittingly represents the ratio of Skyfall proponents to Skyfall dissenters as well, which is interesting...

But of course, this is all beyond trivial at this point.
    People know me as a guy that sometimes has too much substance LOL :-P. It's just fun to see if you can choose, with the knife on your throat...so to say :-). Be your own devil , your own simple one-sided person without substance, but with the gut to choose in an instant ;-).

Well, we all have mass and occupy space, so technically every living, breathing thing has substance. The other kind of substance, though? For some, that waits to be seen. ;)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2015 Posts: 7,526

NO, it didn't. My fan-man-ship was and is running at full blast thanks to Casino Royale :D :D :D

EDIT: I like to say, for me, GoldenEye filled the room with gas, and Casino Royale lit the spark ;)
    And considering that an army like the United States has well over 400,000 active personnel, not counting those in reserve, that figure is beyond diminutive in comparison. In a way, it fittingly represents the ratio of Skyfall proponents to Skyfall dissenters as well, which is interesting...
    Yeah. I would - or could - not argue against those figures. Take any review or even the ratings report from those 400.000+ IMDB users. The general audience, and the vast majority, really like SF.

But that's beside the point. This is far more interesting, IMO. Like OHMSS is getting more and more praise, the older it gets, we could see the same phenomenon, just vice versa, with SF.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Lemme tell ya my story.
    When I was 11 I saw ads on TV for what looked like a very
    cool movie so I bitched & moaned & got my Mom to take me to it. So after I saw DAF I wanted to see more Bond. After a few years I'd seen all the Bonds in theatrical revivals (except OHMSS) and was a good fan. During the Moore years I became irritated at the lighter approach. I bought all the novels but never got around to reading them. I became a lazy fan. Dalton did not impress me much as he looked like he wasn't having that much fun being a Double-O, and I'd wanted my man Remington Steele in there anyway. Then the long wait. Then I saw the trailer for Goldeneye, and the fuse was lit! A short time later I saw the movie and sure & certain re-ignition took place. I then read all the Fleming novels before TND came out.

Thanks Pierce, for the Bond caffeine this sleepy fan needed!