The forum troll phenomenon

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Some people love to be obstreperous. And rub people the wrong way.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2015 Posts: 15,690
    It seems the flavour of the month has passed from being negative on Brosnan to being negative on Moore. :P
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,399
    It seems the flavour of the month has passed from being negative on Brosnan to being negative on Moore. :P

the funny thing is, Moore isn't even a preferred Bond of mine, but yet i felt compelled to defend his run on Bond - which was very successful - against these clowns that say it wasn't.... what really grinds my gears about people like this afore mentioned, is that they treat their personal opinion as fact, and no matter what kind of solid, rational evidence you bring forward to debate them with (and prove their nonsense wrong) - in their eyes, they can never be proved wrong, because their opinion is all the fact they need to steamroll everyone else's arguments.... then to say "debate me", it just gets irritating because their is no debate.. personal, agenda driven opinions can't be debated - because the person puts everyone else's opinions and facts on mute.
    +1, :-bd
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    +2! My thread got derailed because of those two numpties.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    As we keep saying opinion is fine, debate is fine, but upending every thread regardless of subject matter and pursuing the same agenda - which ultimately upsets and drives long standing members away -will be treated as trolling. And therefore a suspension or ban. I don't care if it's anti-Moore, anti-Craig, anti-anything. We aren't here to tickle the egos of a few members who demand attention and care little for other's feelings.

There is this idea that as long as you remain courteous and polite then how can you possibly be breaking forum rules? Wrong. Trolling takes on many different forms, and with everyone's help here (thanks for the post flagging - we look into them all) we can keep on top of the problem, even though it's impossible to stamp it out permanently.
  • Pretty much everyone that has posted in the last page are trolls. All making unproven allegations. Often on these forums, it is those that have been around for the longest that are the real trolls.
    OK, please flag up any posts that prove your point and we will look into it. That's how it works.
  • Mods can also be trolls as well. IMO.
    Then please flag the mod posts that you feel are worthy of investigation. Or message a mod with your concerns. I won't respond any more on this thread about these matters. Only via messages.
  • Mods can also be trolls as well. IMO.

@MartinAston you realize that going around calling every board member a troll after first being accused of being one yourself is basically like saying "I know you are but what am I". It's getting alittle tiresome.
  • It's getting alittle tiresome.

I know you are, but what am I?
  • It's getting alittle tiresome.

I know you are, but what am I?

Alright whatever. I'm going to bed. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and find out the last year of my life was a dream. If it's good enough for Bond, it's good enough for me.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I think the door just hit him in the ... wherever ... on his way out.
    Thank you, mods. :-bd
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    A big thanks to the mod team for dealing with @doubleohdad, or should i say, @doubleohkid (I fear for his kids if he really is a father). :)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    In Scotland we call Troll's Gonks! which an even better word for them. I have to agree sometime I think it is newbies who don't understand the etiquet and have trouble having their opinion qaushed, then there are sad lonley people who use web forums to lash out. Probably been bullied all of their life and use web forums as some twisted way of inflicting hurt on others. However its not risk free here in the UK anymore, if you post something an someone takes offence, the police will investigate and you can be charged. I have seen a dramatic change in some forums since that law was passed. It is a completely undemocratic law, however that is another arguement.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    PS most of the arguements on here is when a member criticises a Bond actor and fans of that actors potrayl lay on the defence thick, but hell, what else are we to do? say all bonds and bond movies are perfect masterpieces and every second acted correctly now lets close the forum cause we all agree. LOL. People just need to respect others opinions instead of arguing their own to the point the name calling and rideculing starts. RESPECTS YOUR FELLOW HUMANS!
    I think one of the hardest thing to get used to is, Some people know more about
    Bond than you do. ;) Where ever we are we are probably " The Bond guy", no one
    Has ever questioned any of your facts or opinions on 007. Then on joining a
    Forum, shock, horror people are saying some of your facts may be wrong, or
    Your opinion is not correct etc.
    That's a big shock to the system. :) believe me I know ! Although I like to think
    We're all sitting round a pub table chatting,sure we'll disagree on some points, but
    If we're friends, we can take a bit of friendly leg pulling and perhaps learn a little
    More about the Bond films, Books etc. Just my two cents. ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Then on joining a
    Forum, shock, horror people are saying some of your facts may be wrong, or
    Your opinion is not correct etc.
    That's a big shock to the system. :)
    Yes, quite. When I first joined and saw people hacking away at Brosnan I was dumbfounded.
    To find out my opinion of him as a pretty fine Bond was all wrong, and that in fact he was the WORST Bond in a series of Bond movies that don't measure up to even films like "Operation Kid Brother" or CR'67, was a bit of a jolt.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

Surprising to me when I joined: Brosnan bashing, Moore a big messy mix of hate/love/ridicule, OHMSS love/crush/appreciation, LTK is considered a near flawless classic, the fact that several members really have memorizedso many quotes or other trivia, and the profound interest/debate about Daniel Craig's hair. :D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Three times a charm.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Suprising to me when I joined: there were people like doubleohdad in the Bond fans population. :D
    Surprising to me was that I was hated. Before that is. Yeah, before...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Surprising to me was that I've always been the same. :))
    Murdock wrote: »

What are you implying? You are the Godhead?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

I'm not implying anything. Aren't we all just among friends? ;)

I'm not implying anything. Aren't we all just among friends? ;)
    Yes. some of us definitely.
    :-h
    I'm definitely going to use the argument " I'm right and you're wrong"
    More, I'll call it the Martin Defence! ;)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i'm surprised i haven't been banished yet as well. lol.
    Is " Get thee to a nunnery " still a punishment ? ;)