The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

In Goldeneye, I have no idea who that is supposed to be with Xenia trying to get onto the boat to steal the helicoptor. The admiral is dead. It can't be oo6 because that certainly does not look like him from the back, AND BECAUSE HE'S USING THE ADMIRAL'S ID?! WHo the heck is that?

I think that is general ourumov

I agree with that, but the guy with his back to the camara who salutes like he's the admiral sure does not look like Ouromov.
  • What does Natayla yell after she slaps Trevelyn in the train? My bluray subtitles don't list anything. I assume it was something in Russian. Does anyone know?

Anyone?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    What does Natayla yell after she slaps Trevelyn in the train? My bluray subtitles don't list anything. I assume it was something in Russian. Does anyone know?

Anyone?

"Couch-humping dog" in mispronounced Russian.*

*I'm guessing here. ;))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm pretty sure she shout's XENIA!!!
  • Murdock wrote: »

That's what it sounded like to me too but that couldn't possible make any sense. I don't think she even knew Xenia's name at that point, much less had a reason to mistake her for Trevelyn.

That's what it sounded like to me too but that couldn't possible make any sense. I don't think she even knew Xenia's name at that point, much less had a reason to mistake her for Trevelyn.

Haha, now that's funny. It always sounded like she says "Xenia" to me, too. That would be funny if she was somehow supposed to be blaming Xenia for Trevelyan's behavior.

Haha, now that's funny. It always sounded like she says "Xenia" to me, too. That would be funny if she was somehow supposed to be blaming Xenia for Trevelyan's behavior.

Haha! I could see the original scripted line going,

Natalya: Xenia! Keep him on a leash!

Xenia: Forgive him. He's in heat.

Meanwhile Trevelyn goes off to hump a pillow out of frustration.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

Well Natalya, Boris and Xenia were offscreen after the church meeting scene for a while. I'm sure her name came up at some point by the time she was stuffed in that Helicopter. She could have been Calling for Xenia to get him off in desperation. Hard to tell really.
    I like my guess better.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,778
    I just don't see why she'd ask Xenia for help. Especially since she was working for Trevelyn. Plus I doubt Natayla and Xenia would be on a first name basis. I still think it might've been some word in Russian.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Could someone please tell me what this is in TSWLM when Bond and Anya are spying on Atlantis in the Lotus:

http://screenmusings.org/movie/dvd/The-Spy-Who-Loved-Me/pages/The-Spy-Who-Loved-Me-0678.htm

It looks a bit like the globe on the Liparus except there are a load of guys standing round a fence over it. And why is it in the leg of Atlantis?

Whatever it is there is no reference to it ever again so I'm at a total loss.
    Megalomaniacs just love BIG maps to plan their world domination on!?

The guys on the gantry overlooking the large golden globe like the supertanker control room's version looked like the crew that would man the submarine/tanker with one at least the captain in his navy blue uniform.

A small A-Z map on a table wouldn't be seen from such a far away vantage point thus making the whole explore beneath the waves using a lotus submarine sequence irrelevant.
    It looked to me like a map showing targets or something. Indicating to Bond that Stromberg was up to SPECTRE-level no good.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    It looked to me like a map showing targets or something. Indicating to Bond that Stromberg was up to SPECTRE-level no good.

I guess. But then why is it never mentioned again? At least a line in the hotel after the Lotus chase along the lines of 'That map looked dodgy didn't it?'

But no. They continue to investigate Stromberg only because the design of the Liparus is suspect and it has never stopped at a port.

Does anyone have their copy of Christopher Wood's novelisation to hand (mine is stuck in my parents loft somewhere), maybe it sheds some light on this? Then again as the design of Atlantis is totally different then probably not.

No doubt doubleohdad will weigh in in a minute saying its symptomatic of the sloppy writing of the Rog era and in this case it's difficult to disagree.
    No doubt doubleohdad will weigh in in a minute saying its symptomatic of the sloppy writing of the Rog era and in this case it's difficult to disagree.
    It's all Moore's fault. He should have been tougher on the director.
    =))
    And there weren't enough trains to flop around on
    Could someone please tell me what this is in TSWLM when Bond and Anya are spying on Atlantis in the Lotus:

http://screenmusings.org/movie/dvd/The-Spy-Who-Loved-Me/pages/The-Spy-Who-Loved-Me-0678.htm

It looks a bit like the globe on the Liparus except there are a load of guys standing round a fence over it. And why is it in the leg of Atlantis?

Whatever it is there is no reference to it ever again so I'm at a total loss.

Could it be that the re-programming of the missiles was originally to take place on Atlantis rather than the Liparus?
    =))

He should have been tougher period
    =))
    =))

=))
    I suppose you never heard about the fight Roger Moore got into with Lee Marvin on the set of Shout at the Devil? Marvin showed up to set drunk as a sailor one day to film a fight scene with Roger Moore. Marvin, in his state of mind, took it seriously and began to throw fists with Sir Rog. To everyone's amazement Roger Moore held his own against one of the most legit tough guys to ever be a movie star. In Marvin's autobiography he would state that he'd never "underestimate that guy again" and that he was much tougher than he looked. How many legit tough guys have you gone toe to toe with? Since apparently you see fit to judge who's tough and who's not.
    =))

=))
    I suppose you never heard about the fight Roger Moore got into with Lee Marvin on the set of Shout at the Devil? Marvin showed up to set drunk as a sailor one day to film a fight scene with Roger Moore. Marvin, in his state of mind, took it seriously and begin to throw fists with Sir Rog. To everyone's amazement Roger Moore held his own against one of the most legit tough guys to ever be a movie star. In Marvin's autobiography he would state that he'd never "underestimate that guy again" and that he was much tougher than he looked. How many legit tough guys have you gone toe to toe with? Since apparently you see fit to judge who's tough and who's not.

Wasnt Rog shagging some minor Hollywood star in the days where he was on a studio contract and her boyfriend was some quite well known actor who tried it on in a restaurant and Rog laid him out?
  • RC7RC7
    =))

=))
    I suppose you never heard about the fight Roger Moore got into with Lee Marvin on the set of Shout at the Devil? Marvin showed up to set drunk as a sailor one day to film a fight scene with Roger Moore. Marvin, in his state of mind, took it seriously and begin to throw fists with Sir Rog. To everyone's amazement Roger Moore held his own against one of the most legit tough guys to ever be a movie star. In Marvin's autobiography he would state that he'd never "underestimate that guy again" and that he was much tougher than he looked. How many legit tough guys have you gone toe to toe with? Since apparently you see fit to judge who's tough and who's not.

Wasnt Rog shagging some minor Hollywood star in the days where he was on a studio contract and her boyfriend was some quite well known actor who tried it on in a restaurant and Rog laid him out?

I do recall reading this somewhere, I'll have a look. The thing with Rog is, he displays all the traits of a man who is at one with himself and will always have the psychological advantage. Real tough guys fight as a last resort, not at the drop of a hat, and they always finish the job.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Hey- what was Bond's plan in YOLT when he was getting in the spaceship? Was he gonna hijack it & land it at MI-6? ;))

With the fate of the world at stake wasnt it rather presumptuous of Bond to think he had any idea what to once he was in the cockpit? Why not send one of the cosmonauts/astronaut who would 100% know how to sabotage the mission?

And another thing - what happens to those guys?

Never heard of again. Did Bond order to them to just cower in their cell until the volcano erupts or as they were now dressed as SPECTRE goons did they end up with a shuriken in the throat from one of the ninjas?
    =))

=))
    I suppose you never heard about the fight Roger Moore got into with Lee Marvin on the set of Shout at the Devil?

Good for Rog, why didn't he show that on screen?
    With the fate of the world at stake wasnt it rather presumptuous of Bond to think he had any idea what to once he was in the cockpit? Why not send one of the cosmonauts/astronaut who would 100% know how to sabotage the mission?
    Flipping two or three important-looking switches probably would have disabled the launch and bought time before the commando raid.
    And another thing - what happens to those guys?
    Never heard of again. Did Bond order to them to just cower in their cell until the volcano erupts or as they were now dressed as SPECTRE goons did they end up with a shuriken in the throat from one of the ninjas?
    They beat it once the 'splosions started & then swam for it like everyone else.
    I assume.

:-??
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    =))

=))

I never heard that story but it wouldn't surprise me. On the Making of TSWLM on the dvd special features Martin Grace said he never met anyone who could throw a punch as well as Moore.

RC7 wrote: »
    =))

=))

I do recall reading this somewhere, I'll have a look. The thing with Rog is, he displays all the traits of a man who is at one with himself and will always have the psychological advantage. Real tough guys fight as a last resort, not at the drop of a hat, and they always finish the job.

Well said. People underestimate Moore because of his good-natured and friendly personality and write him off as some pansy Brit. All the more embarrassing for them after he'd lay them out. In addition to those stories Moore also served as a second lieutenant in the Royal Army and even eventually made it to the rank of Captain. There's alot more to him than meets the eye.
    =))

=))
    I suppose you never heard about the fight Roger Moore got into with Lee Marvin on the set of Shout at the Devil?

Good for Rog, why didn't he show that on screen?

He did show it on screen for his first few films. His fight scenes in LALD and TMWTGG were pretty good for a guy his age. The reason he wasn't giving Lazenby-like fight scenes later was because he was in his 50s. I don't know how old you are but I doubt you could do any better at that age. Besides the majority of audiences approved of what he was doing. He wasn't just working to impress you.
    During the sauna scene in GE who was the burly man that Bond knocked out with the bucket supposed to be? Was he another Janus operative sent there to back Xenia up or just an overly concerned health spa member reacting to Bond and Xenia's fight/sex/whatever they looked like they were doing? I can only imagine a stranger's reaction to walking in on that haha.
    good question I think he had to work with Xenia but as to who he is I have no idea I think that's the only appearance he has in the movie.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,146
    No that was a thug. And that was one of the best fights in a film full of great fights.
  • During the sauna scene in GE who was the burly man that Bond knocked out with the bucket supposed to be? Was he another Janus operative sent there to back Xenia up or just an overly concerned health spa member reacting to Bond and Xenia's fight/sex/whatever they looked like they were doing? I can only imagine a stranger's reaction to waking in on that haha.

Same guy who helped her steal the Tiger perhaps? ;)

Same guy who helped her steal the Tiger perhaps? ;)
    Yahtzee!