Why did they not replace Roger Moore in 1980?

Comments

• edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Totally agree with both of you.

@Jones_The_Bond, you've got to the heart of the matter right there.

I suspect I'm not along in feeling we haven't been quite so fully entertained by a Bond movie since OP...
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Getafix wrote: »

I suspect I'm not along in feeling we haven't been quite so fully entertained by a Bond movie since OP...

For me TLD still trumps OP on entertainment value. But I see what you mean.
    AceHole wrote: »

For me TLD still trumps OP on entertainment value. But I see what you mean.

I love TLD but on a recent rewatching I did feel the second half drops away quite a bit.

It also just occurred to me that Dalton could (if he'd wanted) have followed very much in Moores footsteps. I know he's always criticised for his supposed lack of comic timing and inability to deliver a comedic one-liner, but one thing that Dalton's post-Bond career has shown is how at ease he is with camp and comedy. His appearance in Hot Fuzz, was I think, in many ways quite reminiscent of an older Roger Moore.

Just a thought.

And for my money I think the Rog hang-over comedy bits in TLD work quite well.
    I might get shot for this but

Roger Moore > Timothy Dalton
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Not at all. I actually agree. I am a life long Dalton fan, but I think Sir Rog's 7 movies trump Dalton's 2. I think at his best, Connery was better than Rog, but I don't think we ever got quite as much pure enjoyment as we did with the Roginator.

Sean
    Rog
    Tim
    Laz
    Dan

Pierce
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain

Brace yourself :D

Not at all. I actually agree. I am a life long Dalton fan, but I think Sir Rog's 7 movies trump Dalton's 2. I think at his best, Connery was better than Rog, but I don't think we ever got quite as much pure enjoyment as we did with the Roginator.

Sean
    Rog
    Tim
    Laz
    Dan

Pierce

Here's my ranking of the bonds an you will laugh.

1. Pierce
    2. Sean
    3. Roger
    4. Dan
    5. Tim
    6. George

I like most of Moores films better than connerys
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,399
    as i get older... i am starting to move away from rankings - both on Bond films and Bond actors... it's just pointless.. there is only 1 Bond film that (IMO) is the absolute best, and there is really only 1 Bond movie i don't particularly care for... but on the whole i like all the films, and i like all the actors...
    HASEROT wrote: »
    as i get older... i am starting to move away from rankings - both on Bond films and Bond actors... it's just pointless.. there is only 1 Bond film that (IMO) is the absolute best, and there is really only 1 Bond movie i don't particularly care for... but on the whole i like all the films, and i like all the actors...

Age/time has clearly befuddled your mind! ;)
    Five things Roger Moore did well in his Bond films:

1) Kicked the assassin off the ledge in FYEO
    2) karate-chopped a thug who was holding his tie in… TSWLM? Was re-used in QoS.
    3) OP PTS
    4) FYEO PTS
    5) Shot the guy out of the tree in…was it MR?

There you go! Five positives!
    Love the scene when he shoots the guy out of the tree. Infact, I have to admit to a secret enjoyment of much of the first half of MR.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I saw MR the other day and loved it. I actually don't know why people criticize the last half. I didn't mind the space bit at all, except for Jaws turning good and the lazer fight. Moore was reasonably serious in space and I loved the scene at the end when they were trying to shoot down the globes.

What I can't stand about MR is whenever there is an action scene it just goes too quickly to comedy without building sufficient tension in the scene. That part does grate and they do it too much (gondola, boat race, ambulance ride, snake fight). Almost like the scene was set up just for comedic purposes or a punchline.

When they let the tension build sufficiently (centrifuge, Chang fight, aforementioned globe shootdown in space, cable car fight) then it's great.

The movie is a guilty pleasure for me. The last of the large scale Bond films (I don't count DAD).
    The space stuff look pretty good. I never used to mind the fact it was pretty implausible, but on a recent rewatch it didn't quite grab me the same way it used to.

This thread has veered widely off topic but thank goodness they didn't replace Moore after FYEO. I love Octopussy and I can't quite imagine another Bond actor in that film. Sometimes it's simply okay to just be widely entertained by a Bond film. The gritty real world, personal issues, and everyday stresses and strains can wait - a rogue Russian general wants to detonate a nuclear bomb, Louis Jourdan is getting up to villainous things in impossibly romantic India, and 009 has been killed while clutching a Faberge egg - fortunately there is one man in a safari suit who can save us all. It's Rog time!

Very well said Sir. The fate of the western world is in jeopardy. Who can save us whilst cracking a one liner and without getting a hair out of place? Shall I call James Brolin? Dont think so this is a job for Sir Rog!

Good point. There are three reasons that Sir Roger stayed on. James Brolin, Oliver Tobias and Michael Billington. None of these three actors could have taken on Connery in NSNA. http://www.alternative007.co.uk/12.htm
    aspie wrote: »

This thread has veered widely off topic but thank goodness they didn't replace Moore after FYEO. I love Octopussy and I can't quite imagine another Bond actor in that film. Sometimes it's simply okay to just be widely entertained by a Bond film. The gritty real world, personal issues, and everyday stresses and strains can wait - a rogue Russian general wants to detonate a nuclear bomb, Louis Jourdan is getting up to villainous things in impossibly romantic India, and 009 has been killed while clutching a Faberge egg - fortunately there is one man in a safari suit who can save us all. It's Rog time!

Very well said Sir. The fate of the western world is in jeopardy. Who can save us whilst cracking a one liner and without getting a hair out of place? Shall I call James Brolin? Dont think so this is a job for Sir Rog!

Good point. There are three reasons that Sir Roger stayed on. James Brolin, Oliver Tobias and Michael Billington. None of these three actors could have taken on Connery in NSNA. http://www.alternative007.co.uk/12.htm

I think your link is the final nail in the coffin for those who would have preferred Moore replaced. The franchise would have been long gone by now with any of them IMO.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondjames wrote: »

I think your link is the final nail in the coffin for those who would have preferred Moore replaced. The franchise would have been long gone by now with any of them IMO.

Terrifying article. Even doubleohdad might agree that Rog is better than any of those. I mean have you seen the Brolin screen tests? And that guy was virtually cast! Cubby what were you thinking?

Terrifying article. Even doubleohdad might agree that Rog is better than any of those. I mean have you seen the Brolin screen tests? And that guy was virtually cast! Cubby what were you thinking?

James Brolin.

Gimme a break.
    Did Dalts ever do a screen test before being cast?
    [/quote]Even doubleohdad might agree that Rog is better than any of those.[/quote]

I…I cannot argue or refute that point.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,778

For years I wrestled with who Iiked more. But three years ago I finally made up my mind after seeing the Bond films on the big screen. Although I love both actors Roger Moore wins for me. But then again it's hard to compare an actor who starred in 7 Bond films to one who starred in only 2.
    All I mean is that there were other qualified actors around, so the reason they kept Rog was not that there weren't other people who could have played the role well (IMO).

The fact that EON were speaking to Dalton in the early 80s shows that Rog staying in post was far from a foregone conclusion.

I am huge fan of Rog and don't regret him having stayed on as long as he did at all. OP is one of my favourites. I guess I wouldn't have been too upset if we hadn't got AVTAK but one too many is better than one too few IMO. How much do I regret we didn't get a third Dalton...?!

Agreed. As much as I loved Roger Moore I'd have happily sacrificed AVTAK in favor of a third Dalton film.

But I would't have traded Octopussy or FYEO for anything.

Tim in FYEO would have been interesting, but OP is pure Rog - love it!

True. But then we never would've gotten Octopussy. And FYEO works best as a follow-up to MR as it's so back-to-basics so switching the films around wouldn't have worked.

I know this is off topic but out of curiosity what was your opinion on the proposed Bond 17 outline which would've starred Dalton and would've been released around 1991/1992? Seeing as how you're a huge Dalton fan I assume you know what I'm talking about.

I'm only aware of the most sketchy outlines of the plot. I asusme this is the one with Sir Henry Lee Cha Ching and the laser robots? The outline plot sounded pretty awful to be honest, although I liked the idea of using China. Wasn't there a chase along the Great Wall proposed? Could possibly have been good.

I am not a fan of GE but I think the plot is probably slightly better and would have suited Dalton more.

Yep that's the one. Although I was against the whole robot angle of the film I have a feeling it would've been Dalton's TSWLM. Not only as it would've had a "save the world" plot but it also would've followed the Moore outline of an actor's first two films having relatively low-key threats while the third had World War 3 on the brink.

It also might've been a proto-Skyfall as the plot would've featured M under review for his short-comings and themes of the old ways still being the best. Specifically in a scene where Q was told to scrap the DB5 but instead sends it to Bond for "one last ride". I'm still bummed the movie never happened. People tend to dismiss Dalton as too broody but his performance in TLD was a very balanced Bond performance and I believe Dalton could've easily handled a more OTT Bond film.

Yes they did a test per John Glen's book for TLD to show studio. Tim was considered for FYEO.

http://crawleyscastingcalls.com/index.php/component/movies/index.php?option=com_movies&Itemid=67&id=14&lettre=BOND
    People tend to dismiss Dalton as to broody but his performance in TLD was a very balanced Bond performance and I believe Dalton could've easily handled a more OTT Bond film.

Dalton was brilliant in most of TLD. Agreed.

I think he was at his best in that film just playing Bond and throwing out the occasional quip here and there. The romance angle with Milovy seemed a little tacked on and forced/schmaltzy to me however. It was the late 80's and they wanted to tone down the gratuitous sex and womanizing.

My point is I would have loved to have seen him in TSWLM straight up mission with a bit of womanizing and a bit of an out there/grandiose plot. We never got that with Tim and it's a shame.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I agree. There was more of the Rog and a sense of humour in him than people realise. Just look at how plays it for laughs in Hot Fuzz.

He wanted to take a different approach from Moore to establish himself and do something different, but he was not this one-dimensional 'dark brooding' Bond he's often made out to be.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i think had Dalton carried on, it would've probably been in similar style to TLD... i couldn't see him going any lighter in the role, because he was very much trying to channel the Fleming character, in the similar fashion to what Daniel is trying to do as well... he wanted to showcase a slightly darker, yet more vulnerable side of 007.. you can hear him say that in all his interviews at the time, as well as see it in his performance... could he have injected more comedy - of course he could've - but for James Bond, i don't think he would've.
  • HASEROT wrote: »
    i think had Dalton carried on, it would've probably been in similar style to TLD... i couldn't see him going any lighter in the role, because he was very much trying to channel the Fleming character, in the similar fashion to what Daniel is trying to do as well... he wanted to showcase a slightly darker, yet more vulnerable side of 007.. you can hear him say that in all his interviews at the time, as well as see it in his performance... could he have injected more comedy - of course he could've - but for James Bond, i don't think he would've.

True but I could see the Bond of TLD being in a more OTT adventure. His performance wasn't as "pure Fleming" as some people have said. I found Dalton's TLD performance to be a very good balance of Fleming's Bond and the cinematic James Bond.
    HASEROT wrote: »

True but I could see the Bond of TLD being in a more OTT adventure. His performance wasn't as "pure Fleming" as some people have said. I found Dalton's TLD performance to be a very good balance of Fleming's Bond and the cinematic James Bond.

I agree.

For my money though, Laz gave us the most 'vulnerable' performance as Bond.
    FourDot wrote: »
    Sark wrote: »
    I think they're pretty closely related.

One is a conveyance for the other. But Silva's Joker-like omniscience doesn't particularly impede Mendes's ability to tell a damn good yarn.

Interesting. After seeing this particular exchange, I looked up the difference between plot and story. Based on the Wiki definition, it appears that SF had a good plot after all. It was the story (which is meant to be more detailed and link everything together) which was awful.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plot_(narrative)

That is the technical perspective. I am talking about what the film is actually about, which is a character piece.
    "FourDot wrote: »
    That is the technical perspective. I am talking about what the film is actually about, which is a character piece.

I think they absolutely nailed the characters in SF. That was the best part about the film, apart from the cinematography. Outstanding character development given the short screen time of everyone involved. That took a lot of talent, and that's why I'm hopeful for SP, because Mendes appears to be very good at this.
    Interesting distinction between plot and story. Makes sense. So I need to bash the story, not the plot!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yes they did a test per John Glen's book for TLD to show studio. Tim was considered for FYEO.

http://crawleyscastingcalls.com/index.php/component/movies/index.php?option=com_movies&Itemid=67&id=14&lettre=BOND

According to the press back then, their first choice was Sean Connery in FYEO. But he declined. According to the press back then, like I already mentioned.