Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 26th May 2017 - NEW DETAILS

edited January 2016 in General Movies & TV Posts: 267
The fifth installment of the blockbuster franchise, which follows the adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow, is scheduled for release on the 7th July 2017. After learning that production is underway, I figured it'd be great to discuss what developments are made, when we learn them of course. This will be an open discussion for predictions, spoilers (as long as we use spoiler tags) and maybe what we would like to see happen in the film.

These are the newest news stories on this fifth installment -

Actor Brenton Thwaites has supposedly been cast in a role: http://geektyrant.com/news/brenton-thwaites-cast-in-pirates-of-the-caribbean-5

Jack the Money may/may not appear in the film: http://airherald.com/pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-has-some-monkey-problems-famous-monkey-may-be-held-in-quarantine-for-a-month/19168/

Supposed set photos: http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/entertainment/pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-filming-location-no-longer-a-secret-as-nosy-maudsland-locals-take-a-peek-at-hollywood-at-work/story-fnj94hgr-1227151821392

Comments

I wonder if this will be the last time Johnny Depp will play the part?
  • Jesus Christ, obviously they are doing this because it will rake in millions, but this franchise should have died after the third movie (in my opinion).
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 6,432
    The only notable thing I can remember from the fourth film were the Mermaids, can't remember the plot at all.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I enjoyed all the PoC movies, and I'm looking forward to it. I heard that Penelope Cruz won't be in it, and that disappoints me because I really liked her in On Stranger Tides.
  • http://movienewsguide.com/pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-might-be-a-soft-reboot/42223

'According to actor Orlando Bloom, who played the character Will Turner for the earlier 3 installments of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, Disney might opt for a soft reboot of the franchise in the 5th installment, “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.” To find out why, read on.'
    I´m surprised to read the 4th film was the second financially successful of the series. I hardly noticed when it was released, my interest was so low after the 3rd one.

What on earth is a "soft reboot"?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Enough with these bloody reboots. Either you make a sequel or let it rest forever.
    Soft Reboot- Takes place in the same universe, many of the same actors playing the same parts, but some story elements are ignored. Basically this is saying they will most likely be ignoring most of Pirates 4. Probably why there's been no mention of Penelope Cruz returning.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'll watch Johnny Depp as a pirate for as long as he plays one. Even forever.
    I enjoy him that much. Other elements; well, we shall see. I won't write it off just because the last one was rather stale.
    I prefered Piretes 4 easily over Pirates 2 & 3 who were in essence CGI extravaganzas, 4 like the first one were nice OTT pirate/adventure movies. If 5 is anything like that I am game for another theather visit.
    Please not another reboot of any kind!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't see why they don't just do prequel films. Then they wouldn't have to worry about this rebooting business.
    If Pirates 5 is as entertaining like 1 and 4, I am fine with it.
    I am sure that their are plenty of Pirate tales they could give Jack Sparrow? No need for any kind of reboot!
    No real reboot, I hope. Just Jack in fine form suits me a tee.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 591
    I cannot wait for this film!
    I have no idea who she is or what she has been in?
    Both are lovely, but both look very young indeed. Not that Johnny would mind, I think ... ;)
    Both are lovely, but both look very young indeed. Not that Johnny would mind, I think ... ;)

As the article says, I think they're more of a love interest for the "other hero" (a Will Turner type) whose apparantly gonna be played by Brenton Thwaites.

He's going to play a British soldier called Henry.

BrentonThwaitesComic-Con2014LSRichardShotwellInvisionAP_article_story_large.jpg

AdaShelby wrote: »

As the article says, I think they're more of a love interest for the "other hero" (a Will Turner type) whose apparantly gonna be played by Brenton Thwaites.

Looking at him? Is he going to be Turner's son? And they age Captain Jack 15 or 16 years?
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Looking at him? Is he going to be Turner's son? And they age Captain Jack 15 or 16 years?

I very much doubt it. I don't know how official this is cause it was never mentioned on screen but Will Turner's son was called William Turner. I only know this because he is listed as "Young Will Turner" in the ending credits for At World's End.

Also, having a third movie involving a father/ son relationship in the Turner family after Bootstrap and Will (Orlando) would be boring.

I very much doubt it. I don't know how official this is cause it was never mentioned on screen but Will Turner's son was called William Turner. I only know this because he is listed as "Young Will Turner" in the ending credits for At World's End.

Also, having a third movie involving a father/ son relationship in the Turner family after Bootstrap and Will (Orlando) would be boring.

Agreed, but i do not want any kind of reboot either though.

I did find this article recently, which might help with that concern: http://airherald.com/what-orlando-bloom-meant-when-he-said-pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-is-a-reboot/20431/

I did find this article recently, which might help with that concern: http://airherald.com/what-orlando-bloom-meant-when-he-said-pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-is-a-reboot/20431/

Hmmmm? Certainly interesting to see what happens over the next few months of filmimg? Great to see a set pic though!
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 267

Hmmmm? Certainly interesting to see what happens over the next few months of filmimg? Great to see a set pic though!

I'm hoping this film will be one of those films that learns from the mistakes of it's previous "not so good" film.
    I don't want this franchise to be rebooted...let's hope the 5th one will be good, and it will end up being the last or second to last POTC movie ever..This franchise has run its course, rebooting it will end up with lost money for the studios, i guarntee it
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I don't want this franchise to be rebooted...let's hope the 5th one will be good, and it will end up being the last or second to last POTC movie ever..This franchise has run its course, rebooting it will end up with lost money for the studios, i guarntee it

A good enjoyable and fun pirate movie will always be welcome, I have seen some splendid and less splendid movies and we can always use one more.... imho.

Jack Sparrows adventures are fun.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,416
    NEJU3DUSyEZhNS_2_a.jpg
    My vote go to Gabriella Wilde (First)
    Gabriella-Anstruther-Gough-Calthorpe-Gabriella-Wilde-Style-File-RDuJour-014.jpg

She also already been seen in Three Musketiers with Bloom, but that's also a bit of the problem mabey. Jenna Thiam looks intresting, but only with Jack Sparrow. Mabey same for Kaya Scodelario, but my feeling says no.